Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The "Today I did something to my bike" thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

They look fcuked. The Pistons most definitely are, cleaning them will lead to pitting they are so bad.

Take the pistons and seals out and see if it's just those that need replacing. It could be the whole caliper, but I wouldn't use the bike with the brakes in that condition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

AgileMyth wrote: »
    New tyre and pads fitted. Fixed a little hole in a pannier too. Ordered a top box from ebay last night so expecting that next week.
    Now have a nice Givi top box fitted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Now have a nice Givi top box fitted.

If you've never rode with a top box fitted you might find the bikes handling feels a little vague and the front a little light.

Not today, but yesterday ~ service, including final drive oil change, alternator belt replaced and bled/replaced the brake & clutch fluids.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Stripped checked and rebuilt swingarm on the PW80
    Removed autolube tank and drained it of whatever muck was in it from before.
    Refit and fill with full synthetic.
    Checked autolube pump.
    Stripped cleaned and rebuilt carb.
    Checked airfilter, foam crumbled in my hand so made a new one out of foam and oiled it.
    Checked rear cush drive and sprocket carrier, regreased bearing in sprocket carrier.
    Drained gearbox oil, was dirty, refilled.
    Lubed all cables and brake pivots.
    Stripped old seat cover and fitted new one.

Still have to fit fuel filter and decarbon exhaust and check topend for carbon.
    C&S should be in tomorrow, fit those as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Stripped checked and rebuilt swingarm on the PW80
    Removed autolube tank and drained it of whatever muck was in it from before.
    Refit and fill with full synthetic.
    Checked autolube pump.
    Stripped cleaned and rebuilt carb.
    Checked airfilter, foam crumbled in my hand so made a new one out of foam and oiled it.
    Checked rear cush drive and sprocket carrier, regreased bearing in sprocket carrier.
    Drained gearbox oil, was dirty, refilled.
    Lubed all cables and brake pivots.
    Stripped old seat cover and fitted new one.

Still have to fit fuel filter and decarbon exhaust and check topend for carbon.
    C&S should be in tomorrow, fit those as well.

You did all that in one day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

You did all that in one day?
    All except the seat cover.
    Only took a few hrs.
    The seat cover took a while I had to try and cut a curved cover off the stock one which is welded vinyl.
    These bikes are great to work on, plus my kids will be on it so I want it to be right for them.

If you've never rode with a top box fitted you might find the bikes handling feels a little vague and the front a little light.
    Cheers for the heads up. Had a box on my last bike though this one is a little bigger. Doesn't seem to affect the bike at all though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

They look fcuked. The Pistons most definitely are, cleaning them will lead to pitting they are so bad.

Take the pistons and seals out and see if it's just those that need replacing. It could be the whole caliper, but I wouldn't use the bike with the brakes in that condition.

They actually cleaned up fine, though they're still a little stiff. Can you recommend where to pick up a new set of pistons? I've found the seal kit hand enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

Spluttered to a halt near hollywood, I pulled off the tank and blew and sucked through all the hoses.Got it going. Then headed back to midlands, running a bit rough.
    Not even one stop and "alright mate". I could have used a longer screwdriver.
    If I saw any biker stopped with the tank off at the side of the road I'd always stop and offer a hand ,spanner , lift , phone call or a drop of go juice.
    Nice day for it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Spluttered to a halt near hollywood, I pulled off the tank and blew and sucked through all the hoses.Got it going. Then headed back to midlands, running a bit rough.
    Not even one stop and "alright mate". I could have used a longer screwdriver.
    If I saw any biker stopped with the tank off at the side of the road I'd always stop and offer a hand ,spanner , lift , phone call or a drop of go juice.
    Nice day for it though.

Fookers passed you by?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

Just washed my new HD, took all of a half hour !! Was a bit disappointed, the GSX took four !! Nothing like a good cleaning session :(

• Registered Users Posts: 987 ✭✭✭rat_race

Finally installed the beak & touring screen on my Tiger 800, then shortened handlebar reach by 2cm, then glued together my topbox which I smashed a couple of weeks ago... :O

No more tweaking to do now... :/

Fookers passed you by?.

Yeah, Solidarity eh?
    Any who, got stuck into these tonight.
    DSC01873_zpsa14cac4c.jpg
    DSC01875_zpse698acc5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭goodlad

Started another mod today.
    Cutting down a mesh sheet to slot into the front of the bike. From the chrome radiator cover to the bottom of the fairing. Will spray it candy blue before bolting it in place.

The mesh is open enough to not restrict airflow through it but should look solid from a distance and hide that nasty rusty exhaust pipe.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Last Saturday, on my RSV I;

- Painted my side stand and bar weights
    - Adjusted my throttle play
    - Checked all service items and fluids (needs a service ..... :/ )
    - Checked coolant.... water.... :/
    - Stripped off the fairing for a look see and got busy with the degreaser
    - Scrubbed the chain and anything within an ass's roar of the chain :/ The whole bike was covered in it
    - Checked headstock bearings
    - Mounted a tax disc holder
    - Remounted the blinker switch
    - Checked and reset my suspension settings
    - Changed the clutch fluid
    - Baffled the (SBK race) exhaust

Left to do;

- Full service
    - Clean disc bobbins
    - Remount the number plate and indicators
    - Check thermostat
    - Exhaust link pipe heatshield
    - Fix/ replace speedo cable
    - Replace horn
    - Look at headlight wiring (intermittent flicker)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Started up the R6 and gave her a quick once over, off racing at Oulton Park this weekend :D

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

Sorted out more of the Bandit. Fitted the clocks, painted the handlebars, attached them. Attached the clutch and brake levers, throttle and grips. Put on the front brake callipers, attached the headlight, plugged in the electronics. Started her up for the first time in 5 years. No problems. :).

Now just have to get exhaust gaskets before attaching the exhaust, and then maybe a new paint job. :)

I re-insured the bandit 1200 today, 190 euro's. Its a far cry from that 407 pounds I paid on my YB100 all those years ago.

I re-insured the bandit 1200 today, 190 euro's. Its a far cry from that 407 pounds I paid on my YB100 all those years ago.
    Thats cheap! You must be ancient ;):D

Thats cheap! You must be ancient ;):D

Ouch! I'll have a big bruise there tomorow,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

bought more tat

cant have enough tat!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Last night coming home, the fuel pump on the BMW stopped. Lifted the tank and checked everything. Was about to ring for recovery when I noticed a cable had come off some connector that was just looped back, so checked it and the pump ran. This morning removed the connector, soldered the cables together and put a blanking connector thingy over it as well

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Met a low flying suicidal duck this morning, belly pan cracked so I have to get a new one now. Anyone got a good recipe for duck?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

Basil Fawlty's Duck a L'Orange is a good one...

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Met a low flying suicidal duck this morning, belly pan cracked so I have to get a new one now. Anyone got a good recipe for duck?

A little bit of this in future Blu:D

http://www.break.com/index/portland-cops-high-speed-pursuit-takes-an-unexpected-turn-2444372

Technically I didnt do the work but the mech did. I got the fork seals done and a new C&S fitted. Major difference in the handling:) So fair play to Chopper in Poleon motorcycles in Trim.

What I did do today was spray the weathered looking mirrors on the bike with chrome spray. Ill have to say they look pretty good for a 10 euro can of chrome spray paint. Ill check them tomorrow and see if the dried ok.

Lads I need a indicator bulb for the bike. Will any motor factors have the bulb I need or is it the type of thing you can only get in a bike shop?

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Standard 12V 21W indicator bulb can be got anywhere. Mini-indicator bulbs could be hard to find.

Life ain't always empty.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Standard 12V 21W indicator bulb can be got anywhere. Mini-indicator bulbs could be hard to find.

Its a 12v 5w indicator bulb. Ill try motor factors first and failing that ill try a bike shop on my way home today. strangly enough the low beam went in the headlight constant filiment went in the indicator at the same time. The indicator still flashes but i need it to stay on constant like the other one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,030 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

?? US import bike? Euro spec bikes don't have a low beam indicator that stays on.
    You'd probably use a 5W/21W dual filament stop/tail bulb in the US indicators. I think they use the same size bulb bases as here.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

ninja900 wrote: »
    ?? US import bike? Euro spec bikes don't have a low beam indicator that stays on.
    You'd probably use a 5W/21W dual filament stop/tail bulb in the US indicators. I think they use the same size bulb bases as here.

Sorted. Local motor factors had the bulb. Yeah someone mentioned on here before that it must have been a us import due to the fact the front indicators stay on. I must pick up a spare bulb for all lights just incase it goes out road. Having one indicator on could cause someone to think I was turning:eek:

Advertisement