Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 - Man trying to commit suicide - mod note post 1

Options
1235»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 243 ✭✭Fits Morris

Listening to FM104 is certainly a sure sign that somebody's mental health is not what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭wicklaman83

Someone does this once yes needs help and hopefully gets it. Some one does this 4/5 times and sometimes tells ppl where he is going before he even gets there and rings in to radio shows is ATTENTION SEEKING.
    He knows how to play the system. He'll be out laughing about it tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭bigbudda

Someone does this once yes needs help and hopefully gets it. Some one does this 4/5 times and sometimes tells ppl where he is going before he even gets there and rings in to radio shows is ATTENTION SEEKING.
    He knows how to play the system. He'll be out laughing about it tomorrow

He is still on the bridge and has cut himself. Don't make assumptions about what you know nothing about.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Wicklaman83, consider this an onthread warning to you, and to all others.

This is purely speculation, I have no intentions of arguing with you over who he is or isn't. What I will ask, is that you try keep the topic some what on track. The guys mental well being and whether or not he's "playing" the system, doesn't come into it.

If you have nothing to contribute, back out of the thread please

Splinter

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Folks, we're happy to keep this thread open for the time being-I'd encourage you to refrain from speculating as to the man's intentions.

There are very strict guidelines on dealing with members of the public who may be suicidal and reporting such incidents.

If anyone feels like they need to talk, the Samaritans and Turn2me.org are both brilliant organisations.

Well said Nicola. Hse have some stuff about it too

http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/flu/A-Z/S/Suicide/Getting-help.html
    or
    http://www.hse.ie/eng/services/flu/A-Z/S/Suicide/Helping-others.html

Just an extract from one of them
    Do not judge

It is also important to avoid making judgements about how they are thinking and behaving. You may feel that certain aspects of their thinking and behaviour are making their problems worse. For example, they may be drinking too much alcohol. However, pointing this out now will not help them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,126 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Are you for real!! The emergency services are there for people that require emergency treatment , and that's exactly what this man needed, he now needs more help . You have a real bad attitude

He needs a belt of a hurley, Same chap wouldn't be long coming down off the bridge to chase you.
    We can't be encouraging scumbags like this is anyway shape or forum, if you want to feel sorry for them and pray he's with the angels if he actually jumps some time go right ahead but personally I couldn't give a fiddlers.

We have to stop thinking suicide is ok, it needs to be a taboo again. At the moment it makes you immortal, through the media. Don't get me started on Facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

smurfs5 wrote: »
    Mods should have a field day banning people tomorrow morning based on some of the idiots on this thread.

Isn't it nice to know that at a time when suicide is such a depressingly prominent issue in Irish society that there are people who refuse to empathise with the ill and realise that they need help no matter what form it takes. If he wanted to ring Jeremy, you can't lambast a man who isn't thinking straight for doing so.

You do realise that insulting other members by calling them things such as "idiots" for their opinion is the kind of thing that gets you banned. While posting an opinion, regardless of how controversial, defending it and not having sympathy for someone who tried to kill themselves is not the kind of thing that gets you banned. Right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Lago wrote: »
    Doesn't feel comfortable talking to people who are set up for this situation but feels comfortable ringing into a radio station and having hundreds of people listening to him as well as causing a massive scene in the centre of Dublin with plenty of on lookers.

Sure.

He wanted to talk to a down-to-earth, "real" person, someone who he is used to listening to, not someone from Samaritans who was going to regurgitate lines at him. I'm not dissing the people at Samaritans in any way but Jay felt more comfortable talking with someone who he laughs with and is "normal".
    He was unstable and was convinced that the police had something against him. I'm not so sure that he was thinking of the thousands of listeners when ringing in. He was on his own and felt comfortable talking to Jeremy. He was vulnerable and had issues so I'm not so sure that the ensuing media circus was the first thing on his mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Anita Blow wrote: »
    FM104 should be ****ing crucified for this.
    After the past couple of months we've had in this country with suicide being such a sensitive current topic they should have a bit of ****ing class.

If anything did happen, I hope the producers and presenter could live with themselves knowing they broadcast a man taking his own life just to get trending on twitter.

FM104 is a sensationalist pile of poo but I really don't think they set this up.
    I would tend to believe that he phoned under the auspices of something else and then told them what he was actually up to once on air.
    A difficult situation for anyone really

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Doesn't feel comfortable talking to people who are set up for this situation but feels comfortable ringing into a radio station and having hundreds of people listening to him as well as causing a massive scene in the centre of Dublin with plenty of on lookers.

Sure.

As I also stated, it's scarier than any horror movie what could be going through these people's heads, but if you are able to look for attention before you do this, it's clearly not the same story.

This guy put a young radio presenter, dozens of members of the emergency services and hundreds of onlookers and listeners through a horrid and possibly mentally damaging time just because he wanted to show that the Gardai were bad? Yeah, I'm not a fan
    This man is unable to think straight. His idea of logic is completely different to what a sane person believes is logical. If ringing FM104 made him calm then so be it. I was scared listening to it. He has a serious problem. Logic doesn't come into the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Some of the posts here belong in the AH forum! :)

As someone who has actually worked in radio I can tell you this is not something (regardless of your training) that you want to deal with regardless of ratings!

Poor Jeremy. The BAI will do nothing and have no cause to. They have nothing to investigate. Jeremy did the right thing actually letting him continue. He had no alternative. You do not aggravate such threats.

The nature of the programme is quite obviously rough around the edges tabloid radio and has been popular going back to Chris Barry's days. Perhaps Jeremy prevented this guy from jumping. Certainly seems like a genuine cry for help that wasn't ignored. What if the medium hadn't been available ?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

http://www.pieta.ie/

but lets make internet jokes cos we are cool.
    So someone who wants to kill themself but does not is an "attention seeker" but someone who does kill themself is a "personal tragedy". Some of the ****e posted on the internet tonight from people you would think would know better was disgraceful. It makes sense in this fcuked up Ireland we live in that the above actually makes sense.......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

You do realise that insulting other members by calling them things such as "idiots" for their opinion is the kind of thing that gets you banned. While posting an opinion, regardless of how controversial, defending it and not having sympathy for someone who tried to kill themselves is not the kind of thing that gets you banned. Right?

Errrr hello, you said he should have just jumped and saved everybody the bother. You actually wanted the man to jump to his death. Did I get this wrong ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

So me calling someone an idiot for encouraging a mentally unstable man to jump to his death is out of order? You need to take a serious look at yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

He needs a belt of a hurley, Same chap wouldn't be long coming down off the bridge to chase you.
    We can't be encouraging scumbags like this is anyway shape or forum, if you want to feel sorry for them and pray he's with the angels if he actually jumps some time go right ahead but personally I couldn't give a fiddlers.

We have to stop thinking suicide is ok, it needs to be a taboo again. At the moment it makes you immortal, through the media. Don't get me started on Facebook.

Suicide and the threat of same happens for all sorts of reasons. 'Making it taboo again' would (a) be impossible and (b) not achieve anything positive.
    I think I kind of get what you're saying in the second part of your post
    and yes things like tribute sites etc. may in some small way encourage people that are already vulnerable but to try and make suicide something which is not talked about and shameful is a really bad idea and clearly doesn't work as a preventitive measure. I haven't heard the radio piece so I am making no assumptions about the man himself but being belted by a hurley has rarely solved anything

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I understand this is a very emotive topic but if you have a problem with another post please report it instead of replying to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

http://www.thejournal.ie/fm-104-suicide-call-749317-Jan2013/

Its made it onto the journals page , Its actually sad in this day and age that a man would have to ring a radio station to get the help he really needs .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

smurfs5 wrote: »
    He wanted to talk to a down-to-earth, "real" person, someone who he is used to listening to, not someone from Samaritans who was going to regurgitate lines at him.

I'm not dissing the people at Samaritans in any way

These two lines directly contradict each other. You're entirely wrong about the Samaritans incidentally.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Yeah folks, this isn't going anywhere but around in circles, all further topics on this will be locked and this thread is now locked.

I urge you, if you have any reason to feel alone,sad or that you have no where left to go in life but to take drastic action. Please seek help. There is people out there who do want to listen, and regardless of the 1 guy who tells you to do it, there is always more telling you not to. Its never too late

I'll leave it at this. If people have an issue with how this was handled, please take it up with me directly or through the correct channels

Splinter

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement