Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 - Man trying to commit suicide - mod note post 1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

If somebody starts a thread on Boards and say's they'll kill themselves if the thread is closed, how do you think mods would / should react?

There is a site wide policy to post relevant helplines/sites and close thread.

As far as I know the radio show was live and it played out the way it did: human nature.

I'm not saying it's right to broadcast it, I just wouldn't want to have to be the one to make the decision to cut the broadcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Context is everything here. Obviously it is a very tough position to be in. Maybe he threatened to jump if he wasn't put on air. Hope all turns out OK but if this is a PR ploy then they've made a massive error.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Anyone catch the guy's name or what the issue was? Not being voyeuristic, I just worked with a lad who would ring this show up regularly talking about his issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

Heard the whole show. Jeremy did the best he could in what was an extremely difficult situation. He had to remain sensitive to a suicidal man who was deeply in distress, while also running the show. He would have had all sorts going through his mind, the legal aspect of the situation, doing his job, responding to the man and trying to help him while also having in his head that he could jump at any minute. What a mind fu*k! Not an easy time for Jeremy either and you could genuinely hear the fear in his voice for this man.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Context is everything here. Obviously it is a very tough position to be in. Maybe he threatened to jump if he wasn't put on air. Hope all turns out OK but if this is a PR ploy then they've made a massive error.

Apparently the guy was on air with them back in May after having been up on the bridge threatening the same thing earlier that day. Jeremy was sitting in for Adrian that day too and obviously made the mistake of saying if he ever needed to talk to ring them up again.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

Mod Note:

Won't be closing this topic but lets try keep this as respectful as possible to all, It's a VERY arkward topic for all involved.

Splinter

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I can't get it online at all now. Is it working on normal radio?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Splinter

unless you have concrete evidence that this is the same guy, then please lets keep all opinions of "attention seeker" etc to a minimum. Regardless of who he is, no one knows what he may do/have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭Lago

py2006 wrote: »

Try the webcam, should work. Although you're missing absolutely nothing. They're having a discussion with two women about their children being out late at night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

Having a look through twitter I'm appalled by the tweets, people encouraging that poor guy to go through with it. Absoltue sick people out there in the world.

Personally I feel that if it had to be aired ( which that guy probably wanted it ) he did his best to deal with the situation, put yourself in his shoes, what would you have done if you're sitting in the studio and the call comes in - you wouldnt take the chance.

Incase anyone here needs to talk - Samaratins 1850 60 90 90 or jo@samaratins.org

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

Obviously the caller is not right, whether he was truthful in his intentions to jump or not. I didn't hear it, but it sounds like the DJ did a good job. I hope I'm not being naive but I'd trust that the show was left on the air because of a threat made by the caller and not for ratings purposes. If it was, then it's a stupid mistake to make especially if the guy did top himself. Sounds like he needs help either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭JamesReeves

py2006 wrote: »

http://www.muzu.tv/fm104/live-stream-music-video/698431/?partnerId=ur444 but its moved on to different topic

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

This thread needs to be locked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭youtube!

i just turned it on and they are talking about irresponsible parenting now? Has it been resolved?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

When your mental health is at that stage, attention seeking doesn't even come into it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

youtube! wrote: »
    i just turned it on and they are talking about irresponsible parenting now? Has it been resolved?
    Jeremy said he was talking to professionals now and that they were moving on.

Best decision cause I really don't know what more there was to say about it.

He said he would provide updates if they came in.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

No fear of this lad ever jumping. Seen him several times up on the bridge. Just an attention seeker. Well known to the guards,A&E staff and hospital security. Made the same threat about jumping off vincents hospital roof before
    Which proves that he is a serious danger to himself and others around him.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

andyman wrote: »
    No he's not "just" an attention seeker...

How do any of us know what his intentions are? That's why they should have nipped it in the bud.

Can you imagine the shitstorm that would ensue if he had jumped while live on air? What effect would that have on people listening, or those with mental health difficulties themselves?

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Well they obviously can't let people call in about it and that man needs to talk to professionals. You're a vile piece of scum for saying that he should jump to "save everyone a lot of hassle." Should be banned for that.

Why thank you, I believe insulting people gets you banned sooner than posting your opinions.

I have sympathy for people who are thinking of killing themselves to a degree. It's truely scary to think what might be going through the mind of someone who's been driven to that. But people who look for attention before they do it? Kind of hard to feel sorry for them. Get help like a normal person or cop on

Look how hardy a troll I am! (Just putting that in there before other people accuse me of it)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ERPR

I have just joined boards today having never bothered my arse reading it before - is 'thread needs locking' the default position for about 15% of the posters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

I think we all need to get locked after that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Lago wrote: »
    Why thank you, I believe insulting people gets you banned sooner than posting your opinions.

I have sympathy for people who are thinking of killing themselves to a degree. It's truely scary to think what might be going through the mind of someone who's been driven to that. But people who look for attention before they do it? Kind of hard to feel sorry for them. Get help like a normal person or cop on

Look how hardy a troll I am! (Just putting that in there before other people accuse me of it)

I hope you never find yourself in a dark place and somebody tells you to cop on like a normal person,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

You really are disgusting. What if he has no family or doesn't feel comfortable talking to Samaritans and wanted to talk to someone he knows and trusts?
    When you listen to a radio show religiously, you almost feel involved in some sort of family and this Jay guy felt that he wanted to talk to Jeremy. It isn't for you to judge his decisions. Yes, the man is clearly mentally unstable but perhaps he didn't feel like he had any other options?

Jeremy handled the situation excellently BTW.

You are a clueless fool. You "Cop On"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

People who say that they will take their own life, whether they will go through with it or not, should be taken very seriously. This man obviously hated the gardai for being set up and imprisoned wrongly and thus wanted to broadcast how corrupt the gardai are as it led to a man committing suicide.
    "Get help like a normal person". Seriously, these people are not normal and have so much going through their head that they just want their life to end. Educated yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ERPR

People who say that they will take their own life, whether they will go through with it or not, should be taken very seriously. This man obviously hated the gardai for being set up and imprisoned wrongly and thus wanted to broadcast how corrupt the gardai are as it led to a man committing suicide.
    "Get help like a normal person". Seriously, these people are not normal and gave so much going through their head that they just want their life to end. Educated yourself.

All that stuff is fact now - F*** me pink

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

"Get help like a normal person". Seriously, these people are not normal and have so much going through their head that they just want their life to end. Educated yourself.

How he felt he was set up and wrongly imprisoned. He said he had a whole bag full of evidence of police corruption and what not. Sounded extremely paranoid to me, which wouldn't be surprising if he's suffering from psychosis as he seems to think he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

I would have been surprised but would not have given one single ****. **** head needs to grow up and stop that nonsense, tormenting the emergency services and his family.
    Let him jump and we'll give his organs to someone who actually wants to live.

Are you for real!! The emergency services are there for people that require emergency treatment , and that's exactly what this man needed, he now needs more help . You have a real bad attitude

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

Folks, we're happy to keep this thread open for the time being-I'd encourage you to refrain from speculating as to the man's intentions.

There are very strict guidelines on dealing with members of the public who may be suicidal and reporting such incidents.

If anyone feels like they need to talk, the Samaritans and Turn2me.org are both brilliant organisations.

smurfs5 wrote: »
    You really are disgusting. What if he has no family or doesn't feel comfortable talking to Samaritans and wanted to talk to someone he knows and trusts?
    When you listen to a radio show religiously, you almost feel involved in some sort of family and this Jay guy felt that he wanted to talk to Jeremy. It isn't for you to judge his decisions. Yes, the man is clearly mentally unstable but perhaps he didn't feel like he had any other options?

Jeremy handled the situation excellently BTW.

You are a clueless fool. You "Cop On"

Doesn't feel comfortable talking to people who are set up for this situation but feels comfortable ringing into a radio station and having hundreds of people listening to him as well as causing a massive scene in the centre of Dublin with plenty of on lookers.

Sure.

As I also stated, it's scarier than any horror movie what could be going through these people's heads, but if you are able to look for attention before you do this, it's clearly not the same story.

This guy put a young radio presenter, dozens of members of the emergency services and hundreds of onlookers and listeners through a horrid and possibly mentally damaging time just because he wanted to show that the Gardai were bad? Yeah, I'm not a fan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 612 ✭✭✭smurfs5

Mods should have a field day banning people tomorrow morning based on some of the idiots on this thread.

Isn't it nice to know that at a time when suicide is such a depressingly prominent issue in Irish society that there are people who refuse to empathise with the ill and realise that they need help no matter what form it takes. If he wanted to ring Jeremy, you can't lambast a man who isn't thinking straight for doing so.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement