Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FM104 - Man trying to commit suicide - mod note post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

their site is down but muzu who are hosting their webcam is still working

http://www.muzu.tv/fm104/live-stream-music-video/698431/?partnerId=ur444

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

You'd think with all the cowboys in the county one of them would know how to use a lasso and drag the clown down!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

I hope everyone can credit the job Jeremy's doing here. Awful position for him to be in and I think anybody criticising him are being extremely harsh.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭cazzak79

Think they have taken it off the air now

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Jeremy keeps saying he isn't trained to deal with this, neither is Adrian. You'd think if you're going to present a talk show that often deals with controversial issues that they'd have some sort of training in things like this. If you volunteer with the Samaritans or the likes you get a crash course on what to say, what not to say etc. You'd think these people would get basic support training.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 28 ERPR

andyman wrote: »
    I hope everyone can credit the job Jeremy's doing here. Awful position for him to be in and I think anybody criticising him are being extremely harsh.

Arse- utter voyeurism. Why did he cut to ads mid crisis? Detestable stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Anita Blow wrote: »
    FM104 should be ****ing crucified for this.
    After the past couple of months we've had in this country with suicide being such a sensitive current topic they should have a bit of ****ing class.

If anything did happen, I hope the producers and presenter could live with themselves knowing they broadcast a man taking his own life just to get trending on twitter.

I said it already here, but if anyone else knows, I think Niall Boylan had to deal with something similar many years ago? To be honest I have no memories of it, fairly sure I heard it off someone who worked with him, but someone here might have more memories. So I dont think this is the first.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 adam500

foxinsox wrote: »
    God, that's shocking to listen to.

I think the presenter was just trying his best to talk him down.

True, Jeremy did seem genuinely concerned for the guys welfare!

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭TheZestyLemon

I didn't listen to that channel. What was Jeremy saying to him?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I'm sure he's stressed the fcuked out by it.. but it just shows how scummy FM104 are for not pulling both the segment and him off air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Scummy exploitation of the worst kind. How that ever made it to air is beyond me, the BAI will be making a few serious phone calls tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Jeremy keeps saying he isn't trained to deal with this, neither is Adrian. You'd think if you're going to present a talk show that often deals with controversial issues that they'd have some sort of training in things like this. If you volunteer with the Samaritans or the likes you get a crash course on what to say, what not to say etc. You'd think these people would get basic support training.

Oh f**k off seriously

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Those who are giving out about cutting to breaks: Check the webcam, Jeremy is making calls on the seperate phone (seems to be different to the on air one), I'd imagine it was unavoidable and the break was taken so a call could be made to someone.

Scummy exploitation of the worst kind. How that ever made it to air is beyond me, the BAI will be making a few serious phone calls tomorrow.

They say he wanted to 'air his views'.

I'm sure everyone involved in the show was dead against it though :rolleyes:

ERPR wrote: »
    Arse- utter voyeurism. Why did he cut to ads mid crisis? Detestable stuff.

It doesn't matter if it's on the air or off the air. He'd still be saying the exact same things. He doesn't know this man but was putting everything he can to try and help him.

Also, his father asked him to hang up. So obviously Jeremy needed time for a breather.

Sheer lack of respect shown by yourself. You should be ashamed that you think Jeremy's owed for criticism here.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Oh f**k off seriously

What?

They're constantly talking about all sorts of things on these phone shows and what qualifications do they have? The ability to talk and stir things up. I'm not saying they should be fully qualified psychiatrists, I'm just saying if they're going to deal with controversial or sensitive topics that they should have some sort of knowledge of what to say, what not to say, what to do, who to contact, etc. etc.

Obviously they can't predict something like this happening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

The guy didn't call the radio station by accident, he wanted to be on the radio. He was listening to the radio on earphones. Do you really think it would be good idea to cut somebody off who is supposedly suicidal, because nobody will listen to him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭foxinsox

A guy calls show, is threatening suicide, says he wants it to broadcast live or he'll do it..

Very few would just cut broadcast.
    Could you make that choice?

What if the man had a radio with him?

EDIT: another poster mentioned he was listening.

I think the presenter tried his best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

"Please don't ring because it's not appropriate" or in other words, the legal department have contacted us and told us to Stfu.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I vaguely remember something like this about 10-15 years ago on one of these late night talk shows, as far as I can remember it was a chap in dublin threatening to jump off a crane live on air.

• Advertisement

It doesn't matter if it's on the air or off the air. He'd still be saying the exact same things. He doesn't know this man but was putting everything he can to try and help him.

Also, his father asked him to hang up. So obviously Jeremy needed time for a breather.

Sheer lack of respect shown by yourself. You should be ashamed that you think Jeremy's owed for criticism here.

I'm not...ashamed. They will get hammered for this and rightly so

foxinsox wrote: »
    A guy calls show, is threatening suicide, says he wants it to broadcast live or he'll do it..

Very few would just cut broadcast.
    Could you make that choice?

What if the man had a radio with him?

I think the presenter tried his best.

If somebody starts a thread on Boards and say's they'll kill themselves if the thread is closed, how do you think mods would / should react?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Nino Brown wrote: »
    The guy didn't call the radio station by accident, he wanted to be on the radio. He was listening to the radio on earphones. Do you really think it would be good idea to cut somebody off who is supposedly suicidal, because nobody will listen to him?

And how many copycat calls will the be over the next month? There are BAI guidelines for this sort of stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Now lets go back to a load of people roaring and shouting and calling each other scumbags.

ERPR wrote: »
    I'm not...ashamed. They will get hammered for this and rightly so

That's not the point I'm making. The point I was making that, regardless of whether FM104 were right or wrong to do this, Jeremy still did an excellent job under the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

If somebody starts a thread on Boards and say's they'll kill themselves if the thread is closed, how do you think mods would / should react?

It would be closed. It's a strict site wide rule to protect mods from being in that situation. (AFAIK it happened before)

Now lets go back to a load of people roaring and shouting and calling each other scumbags.

Shut up you commie scumbag and stay out of my garden

The one that's on now is wrecking my head, like.

That's not the point I'm making. The point I was making that, regardless of whether FM104 were right or wrong to do this, Jeremy still did an excellent job under the circumstances.

I don't agree but I only listened to 15 minutes max due to it clearly being some lad with a personality disorder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

The one that's on now is wrecking my head, like.

She doesn't seem the brightest

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement