Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Cobh16

Hi do I have to build settlement if I play ?? Our can it be avoided

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭JustShon

Cobh16 wrote: »

You can avoid it completely. You can avoid anything, even the main plot line if you want. The game has just about total freedom.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭XtraFalcon

Cobh16 wrote: »

You can avoid it completely. There's a few elements that pop up in quests but they are few and far between.

My one piece of advice would be at the very least have a basic settlement founded and just ignore Preston Garvey when at Sanctuary.

With a basic settlement you can have a normal, weapons, armor, chemistry station/bench for a few unique items and it's handy just to have a place to throw some items you don't want to haul around. There's also a house you can buy (as far as I know) although I've not checked it out so I'm not sure on what is/isn't available with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

XtraFalcon wrote: »
    You can avoid it completely. There's a few elements that pop up in quests but they are few and far between.

My one piece of advice would be at the very least have a basic settlement founded and just ignore Preston Garvey when at Sanctuary.

With a basic settlement you can have a normal, weapons, armor, chemistry station/bench for a few unique items and it's handy just to have a place to throw some items you don't want to haul around. There's also a house you can buy (as far as I know) although I've not checked it out so I'm not sure on what is/isn't available with it.

You can buy a house in Diamond City but it doesn't have things like armour / weapons bench linked to it's workshop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭allibastor

matrim wrote: »
    You can buy a house in Diamond City but it doesn't have things like armour / weapons bench linked to it's workshop

The house doesnt have anything linked to it, I cant get it hooked up to any settlement, it only stuff I have on me. I just bulk buy in Diamond city and then walk it over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

JustShon wrote: »
    You can avoid it completely. You can avoid anything, even the main plot line if you want. The game has just about total freedom.

That is pretty much what I did in my game. Lvl 72 atm. I think the
    Prydwin just arrived
    . Maxed out companion perks, and now I wander the wasteland.
    If something moves, and doesn't swear fealty to me, the new UberFuhrer of the wasteland, it dies.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Finished the other day.

Nearly level 70.

Can't see anything significant left to do.

One definite criticism is that there is way too much killing in the game. It gets so repetitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭Sudden Valley

noodler wrote: »
    Finished the other day.

Nearly level 70.

Can't see anything significant left to do.

One definite criticism is that there is way too much killing in the game. It gets so repetitive.

Yeah its a pity the gunners, super mutants, and raiders tend to shoot at you on sight. How do they ever get new recruits with this atitude! They should have had a faction-system like they had in Fallout New Vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,336 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yeah its a pity the gunners, super mutants, and raiders tend to shoot at you on sight. How do they ever get new recruits with this atitude! They should have had a faction-system like they had in Fallout New Vegas.

I think the reapawning of areas was a bad idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,523 ✭✭✭✭Varik

I've clean the same areas a few time and got something good out of it, and it might make the game feel empty after a while.

On the other hand I've fast travelled to a place I've cleared on my way to a mission and then "had to" clear it and then other respawned areas on the way to the mission.

• Advertisement

Well it does make sense that if one faction is pushed out of one area but the infrastructure is left intact (like some of the gunners checkpoints) other factions would move in or the gunners would send reinforcements.

The settlement system does mae the wasteland seem easier to live in. It's alot easier when you cna build shops in every settlement and offload your stuff easier.

The settlement system does mae the wasteland seem easier to live in. It's alot easier when you cna build shops in every settlement and offload your stuff easier.

I have to say the settlement building has grown on me and I kind of like it. It's not as clear cut or polished as it could be but It's easier to slap a few walls together in Fallout than to travel halfway across the map to build your home in Skyrim. Only thing I really want to do is to be able to remove some piles of rubble that are just statically on the ground, it just bothers me looking at it.

I have to say the settlement building has grown on me and I kind of like it. It's not as clear cut or polished as it could be but It's easier to slap a few walls together in Fallout than to travel halfway across the map to build your home in Skyrim. Only thing I really want to do is to be able to remove some piles of rubble that are just statically on the ground, it just bothers me looking at it.

I liked it intially but now it seems like an unecessary time sink. In Fallout 3 and NV i felt like Mad Max without a car. In F4 I feel I am becoming a homicidal Bob the Builder.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Littlefinger

This is one thing that has bothered me about the game... It is 200 years after the nuclear fallout... why haven't people tidied up the places where they live. Ok I don't expect them to have a full city clear but surely some of those skeletons/piles of rubbles should have been tidied up by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Just finished clearing out the water treatment plant, the one with the muties outside and the mirelurks inside the flooded area as you pump the water out. My reward for clearing this area? A chest with some ammo and a stimpak. It's so anti climactic when you find an area that might have good loot and just randomised crap. My one major gripe with the game that discourages me from exploring to be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Just finished clearing out the water treatment plant, the one with the muties outside and the mirelurks inside the flooded area as you pump the water out. My reward for clearing this area? A chest with some ammo and a stimpak. It's so anti climactic when you find an area that might have good loot and just randomised crap. My one major gripe with the game that discourages me from exploring to be honest

Welcome to the downside of open world: vast amounts of dilute, uninteresting content.

As echoed a while back, how do the various gangs actually recruit?

I mean any time I approach anyone they shoot. Would have mad the game so much more fun if you could speech check or convince members to leave!

Imagine rocking up to a gunner base, they know who you are from reputation and many just give up and ask to join you. Or you know run in fear.

It bothers me no end that revere beach station needs to be cleared out every few mins. I have literally so much power Armour frames from shooting the cores out of that one raider.

One fun thing did happen to me on Friday, I fast travelled to county crossing and I have 5 raiders in power suits there looking to attack. It took all of 1 min to kill them all, but made it feel like they at least knew i was a supreme death machine and wanted to take me out. I found out later from google it was most likely a glitch.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,567 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

This is one thing that has bothered me about the game... It is 200 years after the nuclear fallout... why haven't people tidied up the places where they live. Ok I don't expect them to have a full city clear but surely some of those skeletons/piles of rubbles should have been tidied up by now.

Sure, a mutant with an extra arm should be that bit better at tidying up too!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I forgot about the season pass, is it too late to get it at a lower price and if not where is best to "travel" to ?

LVL 77 now. Literally unkillable, except for laser turrets for some reason.

I have had fights with 10 plus people and I have just stood there for like 5 mins, with nothing happening.

as for getting into power Armour, Iron man wouldn't hold a candle to me!!!! If only I had an unlimited action point trick to fly around the map.

• Advertisement

I think one issues that hits this game harder than most is the heavy amounts of readily available weapons and armour.

Power armour is a huge one as in my main game I made a boundary around one of the larger settlements and have easily over 40 full suits lined up with spare parts stored in the workbench.

I remember in Fallout 3 when I was given my first suit of Power Armour my face lit up and I was ready to roam around as a total lunatic. In New Vegas you had to receive training before you could wear it so it added a certain unique element to finally getting to wear it. But in Fallout 4 if you follow the "main quest line" ie. go to Concord, you'll have a mini-gun and a kitted out suit of power armour off the bat. Combine that with weapons and armour not degrading and it kind of devalues the experience given that ammo is probably more rare than suits of power armour.

In terms of weapons it's not much better. I think they tried to do a Skyrim on it where you can have multiple base weapons with a specific ability (being able to freeze,stun,explode etc etc). It's not a bad feature but it could be fleshed out a tad bit more, similar to F3 and NV where there was one named version of a weapon and it was the strongest in it's class.

The Fat Man almost seems to be the Power Armour of weapons for lack of a better term. In my furthest game I have over 100 mini-nukes that I used for clearing the Castle and a random Mirelurk Queen other than that no real reason to.

All that aside I am still playing and enjoying the game as I mentioned before I do like the settlement building aspect to suit my own nerdy enjoyment. I also started a new game on hardest difficulty and it definitely makes it a lot harder to become an unstoppable machine when you're stopped dead in your tracks instantly so this playthrough is definitely going to be a bit longer than my first. I recommend it if anyone get's bored.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

GBX wrote: »
    I forgot about the season pass, is it too late to get it at a lower price and if not where is best to "travel" to ?

I got it from gamestop.ie yesterday for 29.99e, dunno has it gone up yet

When you are getting to 50+ suits of armor and have all settlements etc its time to stop and kill Preston.

Seriously, in each settlement i have now put 4 people in each in fully modded T-60 suits, have defense to scare a North Korean and still "you know the drill, another settlement needs your help" Fúck off Preston!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭Shougeki

simonw wrote: »
    I got it from gamestop.ie yesterday for 29.99e, dunno has it gone up yet

It was supposed to go up Monday night.
    EDIT: And checked steampowered, and it is 50€
    I think one issues that hits this game harder than most is the heavy amounts of readily available weapons and armour.

Power armour is a huge one as in my main game I made a boundary around one of the larger settlements and have easily over 40 full suits lined up with spare parts stored in the workbench.

....SNIP.....

The Fat Man almost seems to be the Power Armour of weapons for lack of a better term. In my furthest game I have over 100 mini-nukes that I used for clearing the Castle and a random Mirelurk Queen other than that no real reason to.

All that aside I am still playing and enjoying the game as I mentioned before I do like the settlement building aspect to suit my own nerdy enjoyment.

I am level 73 and have never used Power Armour or Fat Man yet....
    I too like the building, but the cap on how big you make Sanctuary is a pain in the nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭simonw

Shougeki wrote: »
    It was supposed to go up Monday night.
    EDIT: And checked steampowered, and it is 50€

Yeah and it was 50 on the PSN store yesterday too but bought on gamestop last night and the code worked. Gamestop.ie blocked at work so can't check have they increased the price yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,942 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Gamestop have it at €49.99 now too. Balllax missed the boat on this one .. whoops.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Ps4 season pass about 30 here It's uk code so should work with disc copy and redeemed on a uk account

A lesson I learned last night.

DO NOT GIVE COMPANIONS THE FAT MAN>>>

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭CiaranW

allibastor wrote: »
    A lesson I learned last night.

DO NOT GIVE COMPANIONS THE FAT MAN>>>

Haha, i only ever use Dogmeat, i hate seeing 'Follower disliked that'!!
    Plus the Lone Wanderer perk!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

CiaranW wrote: »
    Haha, i only ever use Dogmeat, i hate seeing 'Follower disliked that'!!
    Plus the Lone Wanderer perk!

Me too - the benefits of the lone wanderer perk vastly outweigh the benefits of any of the companions

Advertisement