Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fallout 4

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Crushed every time I spot an update on this thread and then open it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,678 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fallout-4-shadow-boston-trademarked-by-bethesda-1473275

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Fallout-Shadow-of-Boston/306565732800318
    Bethesda Softworks has applied to trademark Fallout: Shadow of Boston.
    The trademark request filed to the German Patent Office can be seen here and was found by NeoGAF user Labadal. Further online evidence of the filing can be found at the Office of Harmonization in the Internal Market's website here.

Despite no official confirmation, Fallout 4 has been believed to be the next big game from Bethesda for some time. Shadow of Boston also falls in line with reports late last year suggesting that the game would be set in the US city of Boston.
    While the trademark appears genuine, it may yet prove to be for something related to the Fallout series, and not Fallout 4 itself. As theorised on GAF it could be a TV series, a spin-off game or a tie-in of some kind.
    Another trademark was also filed for Fallout: Ultimate Collection, hinting that past games in the series will be reworked for an anthology.
    A reveal at this year's Spike TV Video Game awards show, usually held in December, has been touted for some time.It's where Bethesda announced The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim in 2011 ahead of that game's hugely successful release one year later.
    Skyrim topped 20 million sales in July 2013, less than a year after its launch and was the surprise UK Christmas chart topper despite comeptition from regular number one's Call of Duty and Fifa.
    Fallout 3 was released in 2008 and was followed-up with standalone spin-off Fallout: New Vegas in 2010.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Please please please make it be true this time :o

God Damn it if it turns out to be another hoax :mad:. Playing New Vegas at moment, in serious need of a next gen Fallout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

I am shipping up to boston

its been speculated for years fallout is set in boston

Cant wait to head to paddy mc swiggans irish bar order whiskey and a box of stimpaks and have a fight with a ghoul name joey joe joe :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,137 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Please don't be built with Gamebryo, please don't be built with Gamebryo :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Hope it's 4, in need of another Fallout to sink crazy hours into!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,125 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Fallout: Shadow of Boston.

Coming soon to Android and iOS :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

6ewjKg.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Ibtimes has polluted my google now with half baked rumours all summer!
    Whilst id love a new fallout I'll wait for a proper news source.

• Advertisement

It's alright, if it is a hoax, Bethesda should be confirming so some time in the new year. First, they'll enjoy (hundreds of)thousands of hungry hits on their sites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

sheehy83 wrote: »
    Bethesda should be confirming so some time in the new year

I'm expecting it to be announced at those god-awful spike tv awards

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

God damnit :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

what are bethesda doing? they havnt really announced/released a big game in ages

• Registered Users Posts: 7,004 ✭✭✭Wossack

11/11/11 for skyrim (what they get for using such a memorable release date :p)

know it was zenimax, but reckon elder scrolls online took a lot of focus from bethesda?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Wossack wrote: »
    11/11/11 for skyrim (what they get for using such a memorable release date :p)

know it was zenimax, but reckon elder scrolls online took a lot of focus from bethesda?

Bethesda (parent company) have released three games this year: Elder Scrolls Online, Wolfenstein and The Evil Within. The Elder Scrolls Online has been a financial disaster and has quickly disappeared from the news (even Wildstar still has articles being published on websites), Wolfenstein has been a great success both critically and financially, but The Evil Within is still up in the air - it was supposed to be a great success considering the director, but it seems to have fallen a little flat.

Considering the biggest expense in that list was ESO, and with a console release supposedly happening between Christmas and February next year, Bethesda find themselves in a difficult position for announcing Fallout 4. Firstly, they need to recoup losses on ESO and the console release is the only temporary injection of cash they can hope for in the mean time. Secondly, there are currently 430 people playing ESO on Steam right now (at the time of writing this), numbers are low and they might start considering a F2P option - this will make the console release even more precarious.

The question facing Bethesda is this: Do they announce Fallout 4 at the VGX Awards and risk scuttling any potential the ESO console release might have, but create a good buzz in the industry about their name again (as it desperately needs it), or do they hold off until the console release which may or may not come? While Fallout and ES are two very different franchises, they do share a lot of the same market. Would console players buy a subscription based game in February at full price, that has been received poorly by both critics and players, when Fallout 4 is only months away? I am not so sure. Personally, I think Bethesda should cut their losses now, cancel the console version, switch to F2P, and accept the ESO was a disaster.

I would love to see Fallout 4 being announced soon, we all desperately want it, but a lot of these things come down to money and if ESO wasn't in such a bad position maybe we would have heard about Fallout a lot sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Fallout 4 by name alone would get have a whole lot of pre-order sales imo

• Registered Users Posts: 17,918 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ehatever happens Im delighted ESO flopped because it practically guarantees a return to Single Player Elder Scrolls, well maybe not delighted, I feel bad for Bethesda because they have given me some serious entertainment over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

They have Battlecry and Doom 4 TBC assume both are next year? other than that nothing confirmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Falthyron wrote: »
    Would console players buy a subscription based game in February at full price, that has been received poorly by both critics and players, when Fallout 4 is only months away?

I think you massively misunderstand the console market. It's not the PC market.

90% of console users don't read reviews, they don't know about release dates for games months and years away and they certainly have no clue about how well a game did critically or financially.

Most people will find out about Fallout4 when it appears on a "COMING SOON!" poster in their local gamestop, or when they see an ad for it on tv.

Announcing Fallout4 at a games convention will have no effect either positively or negatively on console sales of ESO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Timmyctc

Kirby wrote: »
    I think you massively misunderstand the console market. It's not the PC market.

90% of console users don't read reviews, they don't know about release dates for games months and years away and they certainly have no clue about how well a game did critically or financially.

Most people will find out about Fallout4 when it appears on a "COMING SOON!" poster in their local gamestop, or when they see an ad for it on tv.

Announcing Fallout4 at a games convention will have no effect either positively or negatively on console sales of ESO.

I wouldn't quite agree with the stats floated here but I do agree that the majority of gamers aren't as invested in gaming news as PC gamers would be.

I'm glad ESO was a disaster because if that sort of model became the norm I'd probably cry myself to sleep for months. 60 quid for game (Extra to unlock the Imperial Race wasit?) and 15 quid a month. Extravagance for a game that was, by all accounts, rather mediocre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Timmyctc wrote: »
    60 quid for game (Extra to unlock the Imperial Race wasit?) and 15 quid a month. Extravagance for a game that was, by all accounts, rather mediocre.

That's MMOs for you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Played Fallout 3 last weekend, christ that was IS a great game. Funny how detailed the enviroment is when compared to Destiny.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

Kirby wrote: »

This was me for Fallout 3 on the 360. I bought Far Cry 2, hated it and trodded up to the local Xtra Vision to trade it in for something else. Read the back of Fallout box, thought to myself 'this sounds like it could be a game I'd like'. One of the best decisions I ever made.

Never heard of it before then and it got me hooked into Oblivion, New Vegas, Skyrim and now hoping for Fallout 4 more than any other game.

That said, I'd be fairly clued in to what's coming out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

Played Fallout 3 last weekend, christ that was IS a great game. Funny how detailed the enviroment is when compared to Destiny.

Thats MMOs all over though. Mediocre repetitive missions in a mediocre repetitive backaround. You just cant have large amounts of people in an open world on current technology. There is also the problem with other players levels in relation to new players so it can be pretty unpleasant. Eve was the only game to come close but its such a time sink. I know many players from that moved to WOT and War Thunder for the 25min roumds and F2P model.

Every company is looking for the next Blizzard golden goose.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Potatoeman wrote: »

Every company is looking for the next Blizzard golden goose.

They've already found it tbh. League of Legends and DOTA are our the new "MMO's". MOBA's are big cash cows. Blizzard is making their own version, Heroes of the Storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 apollo440

Fallout 4 by name alone would get have a whole lot of pre-order sales imo

Fallout 4 is maybe the ONLY game that I'd buy straight away at full retail price. Why don't Bethesda realize the HUGE cash potential of this game?? There are countless global post-nuclear scenarios they could use, I'm sure they are not short of scripts for the game.
    SO WHY DON'T THEY START WORKING??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They probably already are or have been for a long while. Possibly building a new next gen engine from the ground up before they can work on the game like Valve did with the Source engine for Half Life 2. I know Frostbite 3 is very scaleable and they could use that to save time and costs. Who knows.

Advertisement