Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interstellar (Christopher Nolan) *SPOILERS FROM POST 458 ONWARDS*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Ageyev wrote: »
    Could someone explain the colonisation plan to me please? They had loads of frozen eggs onboard but only one person with a uterus. What detail did I miss here?

She basically becomes an incubator for all the fertilised eggs they had stored and pumps out a baby a year for the 20 years of fertility she has left in her(assuming she is 30 something). Then when they are of age they beget the next generation and so on .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

Shades of the "what have the Romans ever done for us" skit from life of Brian here :pac:

"well apart from the over sentimentality , the clunky script , the dodgy science, the lack of subtlety in spelling everything out to the audience I thought it was a really good film" :p

Hehe...yeah.

Well if anyone's daft enough to listen to my thoughts about it I'll re-emphasise: its a very, very good film that you should go and see :p

BUT...I was expecting more and it could have been more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,087 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I saw it last night and thought it was excellent. I'm posting just to refer to one moment which I've never experienced in a cinema before -
    when Cooper is watching the video messages from 23 years ago and breaks down crying
    when that scene ended the entire cinema collective shifted in their seats and breathed a sigh, not of relief, but of emotion I guess. Like, everyone was just *glued* to that bit and when it was over it was like everyone went "holy f**k".

Question though,
    was the entire population of earth on the big station at the end? Or just some of it on the way to somewhere? And if they knew that Anne Hathaway was on a habitable planet, why did Cooper have to steal a ship to go get her? Or did they not know where she was?

Oh and
    it didn't seem like they were three hours on the water planet, so how did 23 years go by? They were only delayed by 45 minutes to an hour I thought.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oh and
    it didn't seem like they were three hours on the water planet, so how did 23 years go by? They were only delayed by 45 minutes to an hour I thought.

I assumed this was down to the
    additional time for the trip down and back up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

For me the soundtrack was one of the worst I have ever heard. It was unbalanced and obnoxiously loud to an extent it blinded out the dialog at some points.

I definitely enjoyed the movie although there was alot of silliness with the science at the end in a movie that wanted to keep itself grounded with facts. There were alot of unintentionally hilarious scenes in it too.

Jessica Chastain is an absolute stunner as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Several questions stand out in my mind

During the pta meeting we learn that funding for education is surprisingly lacking considering the government no longer have a military to fund(the cash secretly being funnelled to Nasa presumably). SERIOUSLY ??? In a world where resources are scarce, everyone is playing so nice together that they can afford to disband their military ?
    Being that that both the military and Nasa are apparently disbanded as a waste of resources how have they managed to launch two secret missions, whose ships presumably took a number of rockets to get into orbit, without the public going bat**** . Is America that sparcely populated now that they can launch however many rockets to build theses ships and no one see's them ?
    Are the planets they visit orbiting an unseen star circling the drain of Gargantua(silly name) or Gargantua itself, if its the latter since when did blackholes have goldilock zones ????
    I'm really hoping there is some solid science behind the frozen cloud glaciers and its not just Nolan sacrificing science at the alter of a cool poster visual because that's some avataresque bull**** otherwise.
    How did Cooper and Brandt buy Manns line of bull**** , how could a planet with cloud glaciers where the sun probably doesn't even reach the surface support life and have breathable air ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

For ease of reading, my answers to the below questions might/probably contain minor spoilers.
    Several questions stand out in my mind
    During the pta meeting we learn that funding for education is surprisingly lacking considering the government no longer have a military to fund(the cash secretly being funnelled to Nasa presumably). SERIOUSLY ??? In a world where resources are scarce, everyone is playing so nice together that they can afford to disband their military ?

Going to war is an expensive endeavour. Particularly when it comes to feeding an army, I can't imagine the people of governments accepting this when they need the food for themselves - see Russia in 1917.
    Being that that both the military and Nasa are apparently disbanded as a waste of resources how have they managed to launch two secret missions, whose ships presumably took a number of rockets to get into orbit, without the public going bat**** . Is America that sparcely populated now that they can launch however many rockets to build theses ships and no one see's them ?

The area Cooper goes to appears quite remote, and I would imagine the world's population has decreased quite significantly. I think Donald (the grandfather) mentioned there being 6 billion people in 'his time', so perhaps a large number of these are dead - possibly because of a previous war which has led to the current atmospheric problems.
    Are the planets they visit orbiting an unseen star circling the drain of Gargantua(silly name) or Gargantua itself, if its the latter since when did blackholes have goldilock zones ????

Not sure what you mean here. One of the planets was on the outer rim of the black-hole, hence the time problems. I don't believe the other two were near it as there was no mention of a time lapse if they landed on either of them.
    I'm really hoping there is some solid science behind the frozen cloud glaciers and its not just Nolan sacrificing science at the alter of a cool poster visual because that's some avataresque bull**** otherwise.

We were told by Dr. Mann that the air has a lot more ammonia (I think he said 70%) on the upper levels of the planet. Perhaps ammonia freezes more easily in colder weather, so upper altitudes might produce this affect alongside moisture?
    How did Cooper and Brandt buy Manns line of bull**** , how could a planet with cloud glaciers where the sun probably doesn't even reach the surface support life and have breathable air ???

We don't know what altitude they are standing at. Perhaps they are on the pole of the planet or somewhere near the pole? The sun does reach the planet's surface, otherwise how did they break through the upper atmosphere and land on the surface? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

She basically becomes an incubator for all the fertilised eggs they had stored and pumps out a baby a year for the 20 years of fertility she has left in her(assuming she is 30 something). Then when they are of age they beget the next generation and so on .

I am guessing that they had artificial wombs to inseminate and grow life but can't recall this being addressed. It doesn't seem like a sound plan: how could Brand alone, or even the full crew tend to and care for enough people to make that level of a colonisation work? How was she to know anyone was going to ever show up?

Kermode said in his review that when you start asking questions like this, the plot resembles swiss cheese but it's basic stuff that bothers me more than
    Lol, your da's the ghost behind your book shelf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Now I'm thinking,
    the army stuff bothered me more than anything else. Like, every army in the world disbanded? Thats ridiculous.

cloud493 wrote: »
    Now I'm thinking,
    the army stuff bothered me more than anything else. Like, every army in the world disbanded? Thats ridiculous.

At what point in the movie did it say every army was disbanded? The only information we have is from what Cooper said, and that applied to the U.S. army.

Nolan doesn't have every answer. He is dealing with a topic mankind has yet to even attempt, and only has theory to run on. And he is certainly not trying to tell the audience a factual story. If you really want to take this notion to its limits, how can people believe in black-holes, time travelling, and gravity, but not possibly conceive of the idea of no military presence in the U.S.?

• Advertisement

Falthyron wrote: »

At what point in the movie did it say every army was disbanded? The only information we have is from what Cooper said, and that applied to the U.S. army.

Nolan doesn't have every answer. He is dealing with a topic mankind has yet to even attempt, and only has theory to run on. And he is certainly not trying to tell the audience a factual story. If you really want to take this notion to its limits, how can people believe in black-holes, time travelling, and gravity, but not possibly conceive of the idea of no military presence in the U.S.?

He said 'theres no more armies' he also stated india no longer has a military, and implies it worldwide. Thats absurd.

He said 'theres no more armies' he also stated india no longer has a military, and implies it worldwide. Thats absurd.

Why is it absurd? Is it absolutely inconceivable? Are we made aware of the exact political situation in the international arena during this time? If he gave a ridiculous reason why there are no armies then we can make light of it, but there was no reason. In traditional Nolan-fashion, he leaves that up to us to decide.

Its the nearish future, I find it hard to believe every army in the world would disband.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭moonboy52

As a visual cinematic experience, Interstellar is up there with The Matrix and Avatar. I liken to it Sunshine which had a similar theme of species before individual greed.

To truly get the movie, i think one has to be a lover of science fiction and believe in the possibility of what space exploration will do for our species.

I could not take my eyes from the screen and the time flew by. It was not too long at all.

When dealing with such grand ideas, it is hard to make a perfect movie, but Nolan did a fine job and i would rate it 88/100

• Registered Users Posts: 19,075 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Its the nearish future, I find it hard to believe every army in the world would disband.

If it was life or death with regard food production I could. There's probably some fighting along their borders for more food but the US is far away from all but 2 large countries so is fairly isolated so wouldn't really need it anyway. India has 1bn people so they're probably the first to hit crisis mode if the food was to run out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

The sound was bad as others have said and I missed a lot of the dialog like we had in TDKR with Bane
    They also should have given TARS a more distinctive voice as I wasn't sure who was talking when he spoke.
    any one else think we were going to end up with an Adam and Eve situation with the two of them populating a world?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

any one else think we were going to end up with an Adam and Eve situation with the two of them populating a world?
    [/quote]

I think its as un lightly as there being an original Adam and Eve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭jcsoulinger

Beware spoiler

How do you use spoiler on mobile?

just thinking about the scenes inside the black hole again I thought it strange that coop first attempts to keep himself on earth by sending Murphy the word stay, but then sends himself the coordinates for nasa, thus setting it all in motion. I know he may have realised that he was there for the greater good of humanity but he goes from being unhappy with his choice to completely accepting it very quickly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Ageyev

Beware spoiler

just thinking about the scenes inside the black hole again I thought it strange that coop first attempts to keep himself on earth by sending Murphy the word stay, but then sends himself the coordinates for nasa, thus setting it all in motion. I know he may have realised that he was there for the greater good of humanity but he goes from being unhappy with his choice to completely accepting it very quickly.

You have to type the tags out as follows:

[$poiler] Spoiler here [/$poiler]

Replace $ with S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Autonomous

Excellent, 9/10. It will be up there with the classics.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

So
    After letting it process, here are my thoughts - I'm still a little muddled though, so apologies for the disjointed post :

It was for sure a fantastic movie. I was absolutely enthralled and was thinking it was one of the greatest I'd ever seen
    untill
    (and this was my feeling as I watched it) Cooper went into the black hole, at that stage when he was sending messages to his daughter it just got silly for me,
    we can suspend our disbelief only to a point - and it crossed here . - I know that black holes have crazy laws - or lack of laws and it
    was well explained with the 5th dimensional humans - but I thought this was out of bounds for even this film.
    Anyway this was my thought at the time, It was only looking back on it and realising that since a huge chunk of the film was about the relationship
    between Cooper and his daughter - and how strong Love is and can be used to communicate via vast distances (Brand mentioned it) that it made sense to
    me and he (Nolan) didn't have much choice - What's the alternative ? him being stranded or going with Brand to planet #3 - that would leave an anti climax tho,
    he needed to see his daughter again.

Having said that maybe it would be a better story if she just worked out the solution to the gravity problem herself and the film was as is except
    when Cooper entered the wormhole and started sending her messages via her bookshelf...

Maybe I'm trying to force myself to like it more as I was expecting an absolute masterpiece and I don't wanna admit I was dissapointed - albeit only
    slightly , I need a second viewing to see how I feel about it.

Some doubts :
    When Cooper went back to Brand at the very end - I'm presuming she would have been +40 years older? AFAIK the planet #3 didn't have a time
    dilation like the lagoon world ? or maybe it did and she would be still more or less the same age when he returned ..

So unfortunately not the perfect 10 I was looking for, that still for me only belongs to the Prestige .

9.5/10

• Registered Users Posts: 11,754 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

so eh my brother, i'll put this on my brother because it didn't bother me quite so much, he didn't understand what in the data coop sent back allowed them to thrive? they seemed to have control over gravity, and fast ships I presume, yet hadn't gone searching for brant/anne hathaway yet? my only thought was they only just getting going themselves?

jonah nolan is asked about the practicalities of the end http://ie.ign.com/articles/2014/11/08/jonathan-nolan-interstellar-spoilers

what i thought above seems to be the case?
    and why were they still making spaceplanes that fit those rectangula robots right into them?

can we call spoilers on this whole thread, its incredibly hard to scan through to see if someone is discussing the same point as you want to, nobody is stupid enough to enter in a chris nolan thread if they havn't seen the film.

tip, people who seen the film start at post 336 (page 23 if you have same settings as me)

Beware spoiler

he thought
    the earth was doomed and then he realised it wasn't

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭Telecaster58

Can't see me risking life or limb to get back to Anne Hathaway

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

I was looking forward to see this so much thought it was terrible. Looked amazing but other than that rest was ridiculous.

errlloyd wrote: »
    I am definitely in two minds over this one, but I am going to go ahead and say I enjoyed it enough to recommend it, but I don't think it was mind blowing.

So firstly I thought it was beautifully shot. I thought McConnaughey was wonderful, and everyone else was grand. Some of the scenes were genuinely emotional, some where genuinely gripping however I felt every now and then a scene fell quite flat.

Bit I really enjoyed.
    I enjoyed the scene where Cooper finds out he was betrayed back on earth, for some reason I enjoyed the acting, I enjoyed the morale dilemma, and I actually didn't quite predict it.

I enjoyed the docking scene, I thought it had plenty of suspense and drama and it was well worked, the same probably goes for the surfers paradise planet, although one poster complained about it, they did need a planet to go to to advance time 23 years or whatever.

Then there are a number of things I found slightly weird about Dr Mann. Mainly he is now terrified of being alone, tortured by loneliness, yet he seems happy to kill the three living people he actually knows and fly to a plenty where he is obviously smart enough to realise the other guy is almonst definitely dead. He puts the mission in jeopardy because of his own selfish loneliness so I don't believe he changed that opinion. I think it almost would have been better if he had come clean and Cooper actually faced the "go home or go on" choice.
    re Mann:
    I thought he was genuinely interested in completing the mission, and cooper was threatening that, initially i thought he wanted to go to the next planet, but then he said he wanted go home, (or to a new home)

launching a rocket in middle of a working building with glass etc?

waffleman wrote: »
    Saw this last night - not perfect but some of the scenes were amazing

my favourite was
    the spinning docking sequence
    . Was just blown away by it - if anyone knows the score track for this scene please post - ive went through the soundtrack but cant find it

if you've seen Gravity...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,193 ✭✭✭emo72

i enjoyed it. i initially walked out going wow. but then i came into this thread and see holes being poked in it left, right and centre. you guys are ruining it for me:pac:

Advertisement