Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

Dard23 wrote: »
    Honorbuy?

Thats the one

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭savemejebus

damn reading up on the zte z9 mini, it looks seriously nice, i can't believe i'm thinking about replacing the p6000 after only a few weeks...this thread is dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Is the white z9 mini out yet does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

Is the white z9 mini out yet does anyone know?

White not out yet, was checking the nubia chinese forums and there's a couple of threads asking this question.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

n1ck wrote: »
    Thanks for the links, I've never bought of Aliexpress before but i've heard lots of things. How reliable is it? Feedback is king i suppose?

Once you start, you will never stop!!

I think Aliexpress will most likely be the cheapest place to get stuff, but as you say feedback is king.

I won't link to any particular sellers though for fear of being accused of shilling.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

eamonnq wrote: »
    I won't link to any particular sellers though for fear of being accused of shilling.

It really is a shame that it's come to this. I've selfcensored a few times recently on here as well. Half the point of a thread like this is to figure out a reliable retailer or a good deal, but it's been spoiled by a few being grubby.

I'm not sure if there's a realistic solution. The best I can think of is posters submitting suggestions for premoderation, but I'm sure that's not a fair expectation of the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

The problem is that if the mods decide you are shilling, then that is that and you will be banned. Whether you were shilling or not won't matter if they decide that you were.

Safest option is not to link to sellers at all, and just post links to phone specifications etc. as even reviews on youtube etc. seem to be usually linked to specific sellers.

Newish account linking to sellers = shill
    Sneaky referral links = shill
    Linking to obvious bad deals = shill

Everything else should be acceptable imo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭savemejebus

So, somewhat off topic quiestion but for anyone who has sold their phone on adverts, how do you deal letting sellers know that as it's a chinese import it's not going to be the same as buying a sammy or htc? thinking of putting my p6000 up when the glass screen protector arrives but last thing I want is someone complaining weeks later because they didn't know what they were getting into.

spix wrote: »
    Newish account linking to sellers = shill
    Sneaky referral links = shill
    Linking to obvious bad deals = shill

Everything else should be acceptable imo

But its perfectly ok for you to slag most sellers then link to aliexpress?

• Advertisement

But its perfectly ok for you to slag most sellers then link to aliexpress?

Etotalk deserve to be slagged as they clearly try to take advantage of gullible buyers by offering nonsense add ons. Wasn't long ago if you were to buy a phone from them, you had to untick about 50 little boxes trying to charge you for installing facebook etc. It's not so bad now as most, not all, are unticked by default but they still try to confuse buyers with some things such as offering these

Etotalk Mod ROM(+$4.99)
    Multi-Language OS(+$2.99)
    Unlocked and Rooted(+$2.99)
    Google Play Store(+$2.99)
    Multi-lang Keyboard(+$0.99)

An uncertain buyer will likely choose them all, wasting money when etotalk mod rom alone (something that is likely already installed even if you don't choose it) will already be a multi language os, unlocked and rooted and with google play store.

When you also consider that there's pretty much nothing even remotely positive to be read about their after sale service and their prices always seem a bit higher than elsewhere, I don't see anything wrong with suggesting another seller instead :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭jeffk

Etotalk deserve to be slagged as they clearly try to take advantage of gullible buyers by offering nonsense add ons. Wasn't long ago if you were to buy a phone from them, you had to untick about 50 little boxes trying to charge you for installing facebook etc. It's not so bad now as most, not all, are unticked by default but they still try to confuse buyers with some things such as offering these

Etotalk Mod ROM(+$4.99)
    Multi-Language OS(+$2.99)
    Unlocked and Rooted(+$2.99)
    Google Play Store(+$2.99)
    Multi-lang Keyboard(+$0.99)

An uncertain buyer will likely choose them all, wasting money when etotalk mod rom alone (something that is likely already installed even if you don't choose it) will already be a multi language os, unlocked and rooted and with google play store.

When you also consider that there's pretty much nothing even remotely positive to be read about their after sale service and their prices always seem a bit higher than elsewhere, I don't see anything wrong with suggesting another seller instead :D

I paid $5 and got no china apps/unlocked/rooted/google play and didnt check language

Maybe some people want to take out the phone and start using it without looking up how do i root,wheres the right gapps etc

Your paying say €200, I think €3 extra to save doing the above is a bargain

jeffk wrote: »
    I paid $5 and got no china apps/unlocked/rooted/google play and didnt check language

Maybe some people want to take out the phone and start using it without looking up how do i root,wheres the right gapps etc

Your paying say €200, I think €3 extra to save doing the above is a bargain

Most resellers already do this for free as they know it's what buyers want.

You kind of missed my point though. Etotalk mod rom will install play store, so why is there another add on to have play store preinstalled? They're trying to sell you the same thing multiple times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,840 ✭✭✭jeffk

Most resellers already do this for free as they know it's what buyers want.

You kind of missed my point though. Etotalk mod rom will install play store, so why is there another add on to have play store preinstalled? They're trying to sell you the same thing multiple times.

"Most" and you know this from ordering, newbies like me dont and dont fancy turning on a new phone to see chinese galore

I paid $5 for the etotalk rom and got all on it, nothing about extra for play/super su etc

So, somewhat off topic quiestion but for anyone who has sold their phone on adverts, how do you deal letting sellers know that as it's a chinese import it's not going to be the same as buying a sammy or htc? thinking of putting my p6000 up when the glass screen protector arrives but last thing I want is someone complaining weeks later because they didn't know what they were getting into.

Either say there is no warranty or post the warranty details from seller you purchased from saying you'll help in contacting them if anything goes wrong, or provide order details.

Etotalk mod rom adds extra languages, its not just that you link Aliexpress against any other company, you stink of shilling but like I said before I dont care about shillers so ill leave it to the mods to spot it.

Etotalk mod rom adds extra languages, its not just that you link Aliexpress against any other company, you stink of shilling but like I said before I dont care about shillers so ill leave it to the mods to spot it.

I don't understand how its possible to shill for aliexpress. I recommend them over other places as they usually have the lowest prices due to several sellers competing and there's a feedback system so sellers are more inclined to be helpful if something goes wrong. We're all looking for the cheapest prices after all.

I know the etotalk mod rom adds extra languages (their mod rom is the exact same thing installed by every other reseller), so why is there another add on for extra languages that costs $2.99? Etotalk are the dodgiest reseller I've ever seen, don't get me started on that video where they try imply their mod rom makes the screen brighter by shining light on the other phone...Why buy there when there's other places that don't engage in these kind of sales tactics and have lower prices at the same time.

I don't understand how its possible to shill for aliexpress. I recommend them over other places as they usually have the lowest prices due to several sellers competing and there's a feedback system so sellers are more inclined to be helpful if something goes wrong. We're all looking for the cheapest prices after all.

I know the etotalk mod rom adds extra languages (their mod rom is the exact same thing installed by every other reseller), so why is there another add on for extra languages that costs $2.99? Etotalk are the dodgiest reseller I've ever seen, don't get me started on that video where they try imply their mod rom makes the screen brighter by shining light on the other phone...Why buy there when there's other places that don't engage in these kind of sales tactics and have lower prices at the same time.

Imo aliexpress are dodgier than the rest(and yes I know how aliexpress works), but you dont see me attacking them and posting alternatives, like I said its not just etotalk ive seen you put down then post to aliexpress.

I'm going to bail in here and back up spix a bit on this. I had the same impression of him/her at first, but etotalk is a pile of balls that sucks in n00bs, like I was not so long ago, with a slicker site than most other resellers. Spix's only arguments on behalf of a fairly random selection of resellers who happen to be on aliexpress rather than their own websites have been on the basis of price and delivery options. IMHO, inanyways. Your tone can be a shade imperious though, spix!

Imo aliexpress are dodgier than the rest(and yes I know how aliexpress works), but you dont see me attacking them and posting alternatives, like I said its not just etotalk ive seen you put down then post to aliexpress.

The only other stores I recall advising against are those ones that also sell gadgets and such. They normally don't install play store like phone only sellers do. They also seem to be flagged by customs. Other than that I'll only link to aliexpress if there's a better price, just trying to be helpful ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

I've been buying stuff from Aliexpress for several years. Their sellers are for the most part, genuine. Woe betide the non-genuine ones if they are caught or complained against. Aliexpress are far more severe in sanctioning rogue sellers than Amazon ever, imho.

I've been buying stuff from Aliexpress for several years. Their sellers are for the most part, genuine. Woe betide the non-genuine ones if they are caught or complained against. Aliexpress are far more severe in sanctioning rogue sellers than Amazon ever, imho.

I cant for the life of me use a Chinese site without paypal, fair enough they have a payment system in place but Ive heard more bad than good and Ive gotten more fakes off Aliexpress with 100% sellers than any other seller. But each to their own I guess.

I cant for the life of me use a Chinese site without paypal, fair enough they have a payment system in place but Ive heard more bad than good and Ive gotten more fakes off Aliexpress with 100% sellers than any other seller. But each to their own I guess.

It really is bandit country in C.A.P.land, which is why a free exchange of views on here is so helpful. I've bought a total of three gadgets from three different sellers of varying repute, and the experience has always been better than the ripoff from Irish retailers/providers. I'll keep rolling the dice.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

corwill wrote: »
    It really is bandit country in C.A.P.land, which is why a free exchange of views on here is so helpful. I've bought a total of three gadgets from three different sellers of varying repute, and the experience has always been better than the ripoff from Irish retailers/providers. I'll keep rolling the dice.

Exactly. I've probably bought over 60 items, 2 have been faulty. One was replaced and the other is currently on the way back to be fixed.

No problem from the sellers to get them sorted!

Ah yeh ill never buy Irish tripe for a loooooong time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

corwill wrote: »

Three devices !!! What new phone have you bought now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Hayezer

Anyone know if when certain sellers say things like "3-8 days delivery" that's actually reliable? My friends heading to Edinburgh for a few months on the 27th and his phone got stolen, think he could get a China phone in time?

If its DHL etc its 3-8 working days from dispatch, some sellers can take days to dispatch.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Hayezer wrote: »
    Anyone know if when certain sellers say things like "3-8 days delivery" that's actually reliable? My friends heading to Edinburgh for a few months on the 27th and his phone got stolen, think he could get a China phone in time?

Parcelmotel it.

I think they have direct delivery's to the UK, where as if you have it delivered to Ireland it seems to go on the long boat!

That's my experience anyway, I had my phone in 10 days.

• Advertisement

Three devices !!! What new phone have you bought now :)

I went properly android-perverted and got a MINIX 8H Plus (http://www.minix.com.hk/Products/NEO-X8-H-Plus-Android-TV.html, but from a site that shall not be named).

I've been telling the wife since Xmas she needs to replace her Moto G. Got to scratch that itch!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement