Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

I'm not a mod, nor have I any links to any websites. This thread was full of useful information up until lately, now every second post seems to be a shill or someone trying to promote a website for their own gain.
    Perhaps I misjudged his sarcasm for reality, it just didn't seem very funny to admit to being a shill?
    If it was to be believed, he'd have bought 5-6 phones in the last couple to months.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭bondja80

RossieMan wrote: »
    I'm not a mod, nor have I any links to any websites. This thread was full of useful information up until lately, now every second post seems to be a shill or someone trying to promote a website for their own gain.
    Perhaps I misjudged his sarcasm for reality, it just didn't seem very funny to admit to being a shill?
    If it was to be believed, he'd have bought 5-6 phones in the last couple to months.
    Yes I bought in last few months 4 or 5 chinesse phones from amazon. I did not like them and I sent them back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭eamonnq

When someone posts a load of links with very little discussion about the phones themselves, it raises suspicion. I would tend to try and identify a decent phone first and then look around for the options as to where to buy.

With the amount of different sellers out there, if someone is constantly posting the same one (or the same one under a different name) it just looks dodgy. May well be perfectly innocent but just looks dodgy.

Chinese websites are generally the cheapest, but you have to allow for VAT at point of entry.
    European based sellers should be quicker (but usually dearer) but you should not have to pay VAT on top of the price.

Some Chinese sellers offer services where you don't have to pay vat at point of entry, (of offer to refund you if you do have to pay) but again you pay a bit extra for this but it is usually sent by courier so should arrive fairly quickly.

Would be nice to get back to discussing the phones though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,946 ✭✭✭Iseedeadpixels

I doubt a shill would have a account for 5 years, I dont think hes a shill, just his non natural English doesn't help.

I doubt a shill would have a account for 5 years, I dont think hes a shill, just his non natural English doesn't help.

Some shills don't sign up to shill, they become shills after a long time, one suspected shill had an account for over 10 years, and he still has it.

He may not be a shill, but it just looks dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭horse7

Hi guys,have a jaiyu s3 3gb ram,its kitkat 4.4 ,does anyone know an easy way to move apps to the SD card. I know some can not be moved,but surely not all. Thanks. Also the phone has OTA and should be a lollypop update coming soon,would that fix the move to SD problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

He posts regularly too. Even though everyone knows he was a shill. Sam Mac got the raw end of the deal in that battle. If bonja turns out to be legit, I'll happily withdraw anything I've said.

horse7 wrote: »
    Hi guys,have a jaiyu s3 3gb ram,its kitkat 4.4 ,does anyone know an easy way to move apps to the SD card. I know some can not be moved,but surely not all. Thanks. Also the phone has OTA and should be a lollypop update coming soon,would that fix the move to SD problem?

Links2SD is the app you need, it needs to be rooted too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

I'm not sure people in this thread are really clear on what a shill is. I had a quick look over bondja80 recent posting history. I gave up after 4 pages - in those 4 pages pages he posted links to :

amazon(it/de/co.uk)
    geekvidia(de/es)
    antelife(es/de i think)
    pandawill
    coolicool

None of the links have any obvious affiliate links.

I have been in the market for a chinaphone for the last few weeks and I have looked at all of the above sites.

So - I can smell a shill a mile away normally and this guy isn't a shill. He is a gadget head who returns phones he doesn't like (one of the reasons I'd never setup an online shop, these lads must drive shop owners nuts!) and so seems to have had a lot of devices over the last few months. From our (BA community) point of view, this is to our benefit as he can tell us about the phones he bought and the service he recieved. Long may he continue to post :)

I'm honestly not bothered by shills due to the fact that I use Etotalk or Merimobiles, I think boards.ie is too serious at times.

• Advertisement

I'm honestly not bothered by shills due to the fact that I use Etotalk or Merimobiles, I think boards.ie is too serious at times.

SHILL!!!! :D

He posts regularly too. Even though everyone knows he was a shill. Sam Mac got the raw end of the deal in that battle. If bonja turns out to be legit, I'll happily withdraw anything I've said.

Languishing in the prison forum, with no sign of even a response to his plight.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057411247

eamonnq wrote: »
    Languishing in the prison forum, with no sign of even a response to his plight.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057411247

What happened to Sam?

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I'm not sure people in this thread are really clear on what a shill is. I had a quick look over bondja80 recent posting history. I gave up after 4 pages - in those 4 pages pages he posted links to :

amazon(it/de/co.uk)
    geekvidia(de/es)
    antelife(es/de i think)
    pandawill
    coolicool

None of the links have any obvious affiliate links.

I have been in the market for a chinaphone for the last few weeks and I have looked at all of the above sites.

So - I can smell a shill a mile away normally and this guy isn't a shill. He is a gadget head who returns phones he doesn't like (one of the reasons I'd never setup an online shop, these lads must drive shop owners nuts!) and so seems to have had a lot of devices over the last few months. From our (BA community) point of view, this is to our benefit as he can tell us about the phones he bought and the service he recieved. Long may he continue to post :)

I spotted a shill that everyone believed was honest....he hasn't posted here in weeks trying to get us to buy a phone from his beloved :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭savemejebus

What happened to Sam?

AFAIK he was found being a shill for Géarbest and was banned, Géarbest was added to the swear filter and a huge thread on the MK808b plus media stick (in bargain alerts) was nuked. Was a huge shame as that thread was full of advice and info about the device more than anything.

AFAIK he was found being a shill for Géarbest and was banned, Géarbest was added to the swear filter and a huge thread on the MK808b plus media stick (in bargain alerts) was nuked. Was a huge shame as that thread was full of advice and info about the device more than anything.

But was he or was he just a fanboy like I would be for Etotalk or merimobiles?

No, he was a shill, he admitted it and all. In fairness I don't think he realised how big a deal it was.

No, he was a shill, he admitted it and all. In fairness I don't think he realised how big a deal it was.

In fairness to him, he had made very few posts and had stopped, but had outed another person as being one as well. The other person is still with us and posting away though.

I spotted a shill that everyone believed was honest....he hasn't posted here in weeks trying to get us to buy a phone from his beloved :D

Was this a person who posted about Aliexpress a lot?

In my opinion you will always get an item cheapest on Aliexpress, and once you are careful which buyer you use you should be ok, so never minded links to Aliexpress.

Am waiting on my TCL M2U from an Aliexpress seller. :D

Was this a person who posted about Aliexpress a lot?

In my opinion you will always get an item cheapest on Aliexpress, and once you are careful which buyer you use you should be ok, so never minded links to Aliexpress.

Am waiting on my TCL M2U from an Aliexpress seller. :D

Yeh its funny since he has stopped posting :pac: ordered a Elephone P3000s there off Etotalk, so my P6000 will be up for sale next week :p

• Advertisement

Yeh its funny since he has stopped posting :pac: ordered a Elephone P3000s there off Etotalk, so my P6000 will be up for sale next week :p

I am sure some kind soul on adverts will take it off your hands for 50euro!! (or swap you it for a tin of beans and a half-eaten Mars bar).

This guy has a nice collection available of Chinese phones:

http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/mobile-phones-accessories/185/user-420560/

Is not a 'shop' seller but is offering a 12mth warranty and has the phones in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭wiz569

In fairness to him, he had made very few posts and had stopped, but had outed another person as being one as well. The other person is still with us and posting away though.

Yes I found that very strange tbh

Did anyone ever report back on the Redmi 2 reception situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

MI4i released today, looks pretty good!

http://www.gizchina.com/2015/04/23/xiaomi-mi4i-mi-4-india-launched/

EDIT: No SD Slot, only 16gb

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Francobegbie

Hey lads, ive been following the thread for the last few weeks. I'm looking for a new mobile and have scoured the chinese seller sites mentioned on here. I was really close on the Umi Zero but after seeing a youtube clip where yer man broke it open and found the processor was not the 2ghz turbo advertised. I've lost a bit of faith in all of these manufacturers. I read there are ssome that are OEMs, manufacturers who use other companys components. I had a ZTE phone about 10 years ago so ive a bit more confidence in them as the phone was very slick at the time could watch tv plus they seem pretty established.

Sneaking on the specs seems to be common and they are really the only thing that makes these phones appealing to me. Can anyone rrecommend some of these companys over the others? Also would issues on xda develpoer forums bother ppl or will there always be issues with android mobiles?

Hey lads, ive been following the thread for the last few weeks. I'm looking for a new mobile and have scoured the chinese seller sites mentioned on here. I was really close on the Umi Zero but after seeing a youtube clip where yer man broke it open and found the processor was not the 2ghz turbo advertised. I've lost a bit of faith in all of these manufacturers. I read there are ssome that are OEMs, manufacturers who use other companys components. I had a ZTE phone about 10 years ago so ive a bit more confidence in them as the phone was very slick at the time could watch tv plus they seem pretty established.

Sneaking on the specs seems to be common and they are really the only thing that makes these phones appealing to me. Can anyone rrecommend some of these companys over the others? Also would issues on xda develpoer forums bother ppl or will there always be issues with android mobiles?

Stick to the better known brands and you should be grand, Lenovo, THL, UMI, ZTE, Elephone etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭horse7

Links2SD is the app you need, it needs to be rooted too.

Thanks,but have you a kitkat phone and used links2sd,because apparently you can't move apps with kitkat?

wiz569 wrote: »
    Yes I found that very strange tbh

Terrible to think that he can't even get a response in the prison forum either, might be better not posting on here though in case we all get in trouble with the mods and end up in prison beside him.

Terrible to think that he can't even get a response in the prison forum either, might be better not posting on here though in case we all get in trouble with the mods and end up in prison beside him.

I would be more concerned that they would nuke this thread too :eek:

• Advertisement

Might be better not posting at all then.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement