Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

spix wrote: »
    I mentioned this to you, did you contact them to try change it or not believe me ? :P

but you did not post any EVIDENCE !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭DeadSkin

I have a redmi tempered glass protector if anyone needs one.
    I ordered it instead of the one for a mi3

I'll take it if it's still available - thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

fixxxer wrote: »
    4.4.2 installed, no updates waiting. Next will probably be when MIUI 6 is released.

I'm on 4.4.4 on Dev rom 4.8.22 looking forward to miui6.
    Do we know when it's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

I'll have to look at the Dev ROM when I get home. Have you tried the MIUI V6 beta that's floating around?

I'll have to look at the Dev ROM when I get home. Have you tried the MIUI V6 beta that's floating around?

Its still in beta so I'm happy to wait for it.

Ive opened a thread for the Mi3 with my trials of upgrading roms etc that you might find useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Its still in beta so I'm happy to wait for it.

Ive opened a thread for the Mi3 with my trials of upgrading roms etc that you might find useful.

Is there anything to be said for making your Mi3 thread into a Xiaomi one? Would syphon all MiUi related discussion to the one thread. Or would that lead to confusion?

corwill wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for making your Mi3 thread into a Xiaomi one? Would syphon all MiUi related discussion to the one thread. Or would that lead to confusion?

Good idea but I cant see where to edit the post. Does the right to edit vanish after a while? I've Pm'd Davy to make it a Xiaomi Owners Thread.

On the MIUI 6- I was reading that its timelined for the Mi3 /4 for the end f August. Redmi are last in line and will be next year.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

People,

Typically how long from China for my phone, standard post am I looking at?

2 weeks from email of dispatch?

3 weeks?

What is everyones experience? Reason I ask is my phone is on it last legs (SGS3) - and my on order Elephone p8 may not work with my 3 sim - so, may need to be sold off immediately. So, I was thinking if it gonna take ages, I might just jump and get a xiaomi out of their european warehouse and have it in 3 days or whatever.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I have a redmi tempered glass protector if anyone needs one.
    I ordered it instead of the one for a mi3

Are they any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭spix

MidlandsM wrote: »
    People,

Typically how long from China for my phone, standard post am I looking at?

2 weeks from email of dispatch?

3 weeks?

What is everyones experience? Reason I ask is my phone is on it last legs (SGS3) - and my on order Elephone p8 may not work with my 3 sim - so, may need to be sold off immediately. So, I was thinking if it gonna take ages, I might just jump and get a xiaomi out of their european warehouse and have it in 3 days or whatever.

Thoughts?

Eternal team have dhl for around 5 euro extra, if you want China prices/selection with fast speed :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Just ordered the redmi note from xiaomishop. Hopefully I'll have it before the end of the week. Do they give a tracking number?

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Just ordered the redmi note from xiaomishop. Hopefully I'll have it before the end of the week. Do they give a tracking number?

If you picked a DHL delivery option, you'll get an Express tracking number, you'll be able to follow it right to your door on their website.

If you picked a DHL delivery option, you'll get an Express tracking number, you'll be able to follow it right to your door on their website.

I just picked the EU warehouse shipping option.

That's DHL. They'll message you on the website with a tracking number once they have it ready to ship, it'll take a few hours for it to show up on DHL's website. Looking forward to hearing some feedback on the Redmi Note.

Can't wait to get it. One question. When etotalk show the spec they say it can hold a 64gb SD card. Other sites say 32gb.
    Are etotalk lying about this. They say a lot of phones can hold 64gb

If you're really obsessive you can follow the flight on flightradar.:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi I am looking for some advice please.

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese Phone , approx 5 inches, camera needs to be good, but not excellent

What is important to me

is fast GPS ;
    (I find if I am abroad some phones take ages to pick up a GPS signal )

I am open to correction, but I think Mediatek chips perform poorly with GPS

Good call quality

3g is sufficient ( I dont need 4g) , rarely have data on, so generally use wifi more than data

Must work with 3 Ireland ; ( I read a few posts back, one model of Chinese phone, not working with 3 Ireland

HD screen

Gorilla Glass

Willing to spend 200-300 usd

PS I dont need a dual Sim, but I think most Chinese have dual Sims anyways

Nice to have, active support community, for fixes, firmware updates etc

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi I am looking for some advice please.

Can anyone recommend a good Chinese Phone , approx 5 inches, camera needs to be good, but not excellent

What is important to me

is fast GPS ;
    (I find if I am abroad some phones take ages to pick up a GPS signal )

I am open to correction, but I think Mediatek chips perform poorly with GPS

Good call quality

3g is sufficient ( I dont need 4g) , rarely have data on, so generally use wifi more than data

Must work with 3 Ireland ; ( I read a few posts back, one model of Chinese phone, not working with 3 Ireland

HD screen

Gorilla Glass

Willing to spend 200-300 usd

PS I dont need a dual Sim, but I think most Chinese have dual Sims anyways

Nice to have, active support community, for fixes, firmware updates etc

The Xiaomi Mi3 ticks all of those boxes, have mine since last Thursday, delighted with it.

The Xiaomi Mi3 ticks all of those boxes, have mine since last Thursday, delighted with it.

You bet me to it :)

You bet me to it :)

We're going to end up like those Moto G fanatics if we're not careful.

• Advertisement

How are you getting on with the Mi4, fixxxer? Saw this on gsmarena - http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_4-review-1119.php
    gsmarena wrote:
    Main disadvantages

• No Gorilla Glass...

Struck me as bizarre. Does your one appear to have something like GG on it? Maybe Dragontrail (which Xiaomi have used before, afaik)?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

just to put some sense back into this thread ;) the mi3 is an aging device, still very good. but it is moving on.
    they're other, better looking phones out there within budget. the lack of ROMs for the mi3 would be a downer for me. if you don't like miui, don't get a xiaomi.

have a look at the zubia range, the zopos have great support. jayu phones look a pot like I phones if that's what you're into. have you looked at the nexus 5 or anything like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭metroburgers

wiz569 wrote: »
    I done the same just contact them and tell them you want it shipped from EU warehouse,they will let you pay the difference through paypal :)

Did for me anyway m8

Thanks for that, unfortunately it's already been shipped, so will have to see how much customs charge, silly me :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Hi Folks , a question on the mi3
    this company :
    http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi3-3g-16gb-sim-free-unlocked-black.html

have said they will cover any customs / vat if I am charged. Anyone here deal with eglobalcentral.eu before

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭brimal

RossieMan wrote: »
    just to put some sense back into this thread ;) the mi3 is an aging device, still very good. but it is moving on.

Aging? It's got a Snapdragon 800 chipset clocked at 2.3GHz, it is still a beast even by today's standards. There is much smaller difference between Snapdragon 800 and Snapdragon 801 chipset than say 800/801 and the 805 [which isn't readily available yet anyway].

Mi3 is already considered one of the top Chinese phones out there, and considering the recent price drops, it has become extremely good value for money.
    they're other, better looking phones out there within budget.

Such as? Mi3's design can be polarising, but what other phones are giving that much bang for your buck?
    the lack of ROMs for the mi3 would be a downer for me. if you don't like miui, don't get a xiaomi.

This is not true. I've told you a few days ago, Cyanogenmod has been successfully ported to Mi3 this week, still in Alpha, but looks promising. Hugo Barra also recently said in an interview that Xiaomi will be releasing kernel source code by the end of the year.
    have a look at the zubia range, the zopos have great support. jayu phones look a pot like I phones if that's what you're into. have you looked at the nexus 5 or anything like that?

Those brands are fine, but nowhere near the level of Xiaomi. Build quality, ROM support, hardware, etc. they can't [or won't] match Xiaomi.

k123456 wrote: »
    Hi Folks , a question on the mi3
    this company :
    http://www.eglobalcentral.eu/xiaomi-mi3-3g-16gb-sim-free-unlocked-black.html

have said they will cover any customs / vat if I am charged. Anyone here deal with eglobalcentral.eu before

A number of boardsies bought LG G2s from them in the last 6 months or so, maybe have a look on their thread to see how they got on. Iirc, their experiences were fine up until anyone needed to return a faulty unit, but that's far from unusual with these sorts of resellers.

I'd say you'd have to do a ferocious amount of chasing to get a refund of customs/vat, maybe be prepared for a paypal dispute.

Cyanogenmod working after a year available. Can't see it going anywhere soon.

Don't get me wrong, its great value for money. But its not for everyone.
    When someone says they've a budget of x amount, people jump and say i have this and its brilliant, which is fine. But MIUI isn't for everyone. I hate the interface. some others do to.

I'd be looking at the Nubia range myself, much better looking phones. And the build quality is just as good as Xiaomi.

How are you getting on with the Mi4, fixxxer? Saw this on gsmarena - http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_4-review-1119.php

Struck me as bizarre. Does your one appear to have something like GG on it? Maybe Dragontrail (which Xiaomi have used before, afaik)?

Yup saw that beforehand. Nearly impossible to find what it is made of, only what it isn't made of. Only info I could find was that it was made by these guys http://www.j-display.com/english/product/mobile.html
    I'm considering one of those tempered glass screen covers just in case. Overall though its a great phone. The f/1.8 aperture does seem to help low light and the HDR function is brilliant. MIUI is a little peculiar but I'm trying to learn it and so far I've had no problems with it. The phone has a little heft to it but it feels nice and solid.

Cyanogenmod working after a year available. Can't see it going anywhere soon.

Don't get me wrong, its great value for money. But its not for everyone.
    When someone says they've a budget of x amount, people jump and say i have this and its brilliant, which is fine. But MIUI isn't for everyone. I hate the interface. some others do to.

I'd be looking at the Nubia range myself, much better looking phones. And the build quality is just as good as Xiaomi.

Install Nova Launcher or GEL or something and thats most of the MIUI problems solved.

• Advertisement

Install Nova Launcher or GEL or something and thats most of the MIUI problems solved.

That only adds the app drawer back.

Its the interface(settings,stausbar,etc) that i'm not a fan of.

Its only something small, great phone for the money.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement