Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chinese Android Phones

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,180 ✭✭✭k123456

Ok, Thx, would you have an app you have used

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Faster GPS on the play store is the most common one.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Using my xiaomi note a few hours now. Liking the miui version of android. Very simple to use. The screen quality and sound is very good.

It's all working smooth so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Barr wrote: »

The sim count will soon start passing out the cores in the octocore phones. "Hang on there a second love, someone from work is ringing me on line 10." :D

Barr wrote: »

Are the dual sims to accommodate two different types of sim card? I had two sim cards myself and even though one worked the finest, the other wouldnt read. Im guessing though that each slot could be for a different type of sim card?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

Are the dual sims to accommodate two different types of sim card? I had two sim cards myself and even though one worked the finest, the other wouldnt read. Im guessing though that each slot could be for a different type of sim card?

I notice from looking around the various sites people here mention, and phone models mentioned here, that a lot of the dual sims now seem to have a mini sim (normal size) slot and a micro sim slot.

But as far as I am aware the electronic part around the gold contacts of a mini sim, and that of a micro sim is the same, because some people use a cutter device to make a mini sim into a micro sim by aligning it correctly and removing the excess plastic.
    This I believe is also the case with the even smaller nano sims.

Was the sim that failed to work perhaps a bit older?

I think that around 10-12 years ago there was some kind of change in the voltage requirements of sim cards as I recall getting a new sim for my Nokia 3510i and believe that's what I was told at the time.
    I also think that the amount of memory for storing phone numbers increased, as I had to change sim again, for a new phone, about 2008-2009 and the new sim seemed to take a lot more numbers.
    Other than the new smaller sizes I don't really know of other variations in sim cards since.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Using my xiaomi note a few hours now. Liking the miui version of android. Very simple to use. The screen quality and sound is very good.

It's all working smooth so far.

When you get the chance can you post a comparison between this & the P8 as you have owned both :)

Did Xiaomishop remove the Chinese apps ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Bought Cubot S208 there recently.

Working great so far :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

FFS will someone just release a decent 4G 5.5" phone for €250-€275 please? The charging port on my G3 is fooked and any knock while its charging and it stops, driving me mental. I want a bigger screen aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

Thargor wrote: »
    FFS will someone just release a decent 4G 5.5" phone for €250-€275 please? The charging port on my G3 is fooked and any knock while its charging and it stops, driving me mental. I want a bigger screen aswell.

What about the Nubia Z7 max? It costs a little more but its some phone for the money.

• Advertisement

Thats the one everyone always suggest but if I was going to pay that much I think Id just get a Nexus.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭BullBauld

Ordered a 1S through Xiaomishop on Wednesday. Going by a few other posters and the speed of their deliveries I thought I might have heard something by now.

Delivery is coming from the EU warehouse and the status has remained as 'preperation in EU warehouse' since the order was made.

Would have liked to have had it for the weekend, am I being too optimistic?

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭accap1f8

Thats the one everyone always suggest but if I was going to pay that much I think Id just get a Nexus.

Xiaomi Note have a 4G version now!

accap1f8 wrote: »
    Xiaomi Note have a 4G version now!
    Yeah I just saw that before I read your post, and I could have it for €200 according to Xaoimishop:

http://www.xiaomishop.com/144-xiaomi-redmi-note-4g-lte-martphone.html

not out yet according to Merimobiles but I think Ive found my next phone, will be watching this closely :D

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-red-rice-note-4g-enhanced-version-5-5-inches-snapdragon-msm8928-1-6ghz-2gb-ram-8gb-smartphone_p/meri10445.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

BullBauld wrote: »
    Ordered a 1S through Xiaomishop on Wednesday. Going by a few other posters and the speed of their deliveries I thought I might have heard something by now.

Delivery is coming from the EU warehouse and the status has remained as 'preperation in EU warehouse' since the order was made.

Would have liked to have had it for the weekend, am I being too optimistic?

You'll get DHL tracking when it's ready to shop. You can follow it then.

Yeah I just saw that before I read your post, and I could have it for €200 according to Xaoimishop:

not out yet according to Merimobiles but I think Ive found my next phone, will be watching this closely :D

http://www.merimobiles.com/xiaomi-red-rice-note-4g-enhanced-version-5-5-inches-snapdragon-msm8928-1-6ghz-2gb-ram-8gb-smartphone_p/meri10445.htm

I might be giving my mi3 to my wife in a few weeks :)

I might be giving my mi3 to my wife in a few weeks :)
    Although Merimobiles and GSMArena (Usually correct in their specs) only list 4G TD-LTE 1900 / 2300 / 260:

http://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_redmi_note_4g-6561.php

Which wont work in Ireland? Don't you need to see 1800 there to use with Irish 4G?

Xaoimishop:

Lists it as: 4G FDD-LTE (1800/2100MHz) & TDD-LTE (2600MHz), so who to believe?

Also is Xiaomishop the unofficial reseller that turned out to offer really good service recently or was that someone else?

Although Merimobiles and GSMArena (Usually correct in their specs) only list 4G TD-LTE 1900 / 2300 / 260:

Which wont work in Ireland? Don't you need to see 1800 there to use with Irish 4G?

Xaoimishop:

Also is Xiaomishop the unofficial reseller that turned out to offer really good service recently or was that someone else?

Your right on the shop. Great service

Good thanks, seriously tempted to pull the trigger here, can anyone see any downsides? That has to be the best price on the internet for a 4G 1080p 5.5" KitKat doesnt it? The fact that its a Xaiomi is serious icing on the cake! I love the look of their phones.

Xaoimishop:

The reason this supports the 1800 band is that its the enhanced version, it says it at the top...
    Redmi Note Enhanced 4G Version accept pre-order now ,starts Shipping From Sept. 2
    Redmi Note Enhanced 4G FDD-LTE Version
    http://www.xiaomishop.com/144-xiaomi-redmi-note-4g-lte-martphone.html#/color-white/tempered_glass_screen_protector-none/memory_card-none/extra_parts-none/free_gift-flip_leather_casetouch_penscreen_protector

• Advertisement

Good thanks, seriously tempted to pull the trigger here, can anyone see any downsides? That has to be the best price on the internet for a 4G 1080p 5.5" KitKat doesnt it? The fact that its a Xaiomi is serious icing on the cake! I love the look of their phones.

I wonder will prices go up after launch?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭eamonnq

200 + shipping !!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

For me its got to beat the Nubia z7mini. I know the mini is 5inch but its has a better camera (on paper),better screen, better processor and can be had for about 30-40 euros more.
    Plus its a far more attractive device in my opinion. The Xaiomi looks very bland to be honest. I think someone mentioned that you can get the MI3 for 213 all in which in my opinion would be a better phone but it loses half an inch and no 4G

That being said its still absolutely great value for money

eamonnq wrote: »
    200 + shipping !!
    €225 then DHL, €215 standard post, still the best by a fair whack for 4G, everything else mildly decent and 4G is €350, also this is a Snapdragon processor so should be no GPS worries...
    seannash wrote: »
    For me its got to beat the Nubia z7mini. I know the mini is 5inch but its has a better camera (on paper),better screen, better processor and can be had for about 30-40 euros more.
    Plus its a far more attractive device in my opinion. The Xaiomi looks very bland to be honest. I think someone mentioned that you can get the MI3 for 213 all in which in my opinion would be a better phone but it loses half an inch and no 4G

That being said its still absolutely great value for money
    How much better are the screens on the Nubias do you think? Not too bothered about the camera, the tests they did on Gizchina of the Xiaomi camera look spectacular.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,993 ✭✭✭Barr

That why I was advocating the Z7.I do not believe you can get a better phone for the money right now.

Even if you did not need 4G it packs some punch. The camera is the selling point for me. Same unit as the LG G3

Ah sh1t its a 720p screen not a 1080p, there goes that idea then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

People using the Mi3 and Mi4 developer version of MIUI, version 6 is available! Downloading it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

as above, if you've a budget of 300+ I'd stick with a nexus or something. much better communities available for ROM support. easier to source parts if you drop it also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

RossieMan wrote: »
    as above, if you've a budget of 300+ I'd stick with a nexus or something. much better communities available for ROM support. easier to source parts if you drop it also.

Nexus X/6 is supposed to land by Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

RossieMan wrote: »
    I'd have to disagree about that. I think OPO is a better phone than the nexus in every way and although the communities aren't there for the Nubia its also vastly superior. in my opinion.
    Iuni 3 is coming down the line also.

I'll be honest I have a jiayu phone and I havent done anything with the ROM.
    I dont think I'd bother with loadijng a new rom on any phone I got unless it was very unusable

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement