Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else worried about Saturday's loyalist protest?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

After the nonsense spouted by the CIRA over the weekend, I think it's become abundantly clear to everyone on this island that these fringe groups represent nobody but themselves and we all need to stand together to tell the loyalists and the republicans that their activities are not welcome and will not be tolerated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Is the Gravity bar open to all?

Let the fukkery commence!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

seamus wrote: »
    After the nonsense spouted by the CIRA over the weekend, I think it's become abundantly clear to everyone on this island that these fringe groups represent nobody but themselves and we all need to stand together to tell the loyalists and the republicans that their activities are not welcome and will not be tolerated.

Unfortunately the fringe groups have always known they are not wanted, but they will not go away. Not while it is in their interest to still be around.

The CIRA have no real plans for freeing Ireland, they are just petty criminals who have a drugs trade to protect. Same goes for the loyalist paramilitaries.

There's too much money for them. Can you really see them packing it all in and looking for 9 to 5 jobs?

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

The more I watch this flag protest unfold, the more I am convinced that Willie Frazer and his ilk are nothing more than a bunch of complete idiots (as well as sectarian bigots).

His purpose is to provoke. Protestors on recent nights have chanted sectarian abuse as they passed Catholic areas. This is the same person who called a primary school "the junior headquarters of SF/IRA youth" after mistaking the Italian tricolour on the school grounds for the Irish one.

Speaking about this Saturday's protest in Dublin, he has now said it is about Irish state collusion and not the Irish flag flying over the Dail, as previously mentioned. He described earlier stated intentions for a flag protest as “tongue in cheek”... So Willie thinks all this rioting and distress, and destruction of property is a big laugh, that's good to know.

I saw him on Prime Time last night, he really didn't do himself any favours. One highlights was him describing the Bloody Sunday inquiry as a "witch hunt"...

This man has no political mandate. Maybe he's trying to make a name for himself among the hardliners. What's also disappointing is the weak response from mainstream, elected Unionists.

This protest on Saturday... the best thing that could happen would be for them to come down in their three buses, have their protest, and head home again, and for the rest of Dublin to ignore them and go on about their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Well in the first instance it could be argued that they are citizens of this country.
    I dont see how it can be stopped, personally I'm not worried about the loyalists , but I am very worried about the so called "republican" rent a mob who will use this as an excuse to riot and loot.

+1 to that.

I'd far prefer if we as a society were able to shunt unstable,frustrate,potentially violent individuals like Mr Frazer and his opposite numbers in the Republic into some form of sterile siding where they could spout violent oul cobblers at each other all day long,leaving the majority to try and get along with their lives in pesace.

Mind you,reading the article below only serves to underline Brendan Behans oft quoted line about "The first item on any Irish Republican agenda being..."The Split"....." :o

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/dissidents-in-limerick-at-war-over-army-threats-1-4657762

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

AlekSmart wrote: »
    +1 to that.

I'd far prefer if we as a society were able to shunt unstable,frustrate,potentially violent individuals like Mr Frazer and his opposite numbers in the Republic into some form of sterile siding where they could spout violent oul cobblers at each other all day long,leaving the majority to try and get along with their lives in pesace.

Mind you,reading the article below only serves to underline Brendan Behans oft quoted line about "The first item on any Irish Republican agenda being..."The Split"....." :o

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local/dissidents-in-limerick-at-war-over-army-threats-1-4657762

That´s an interesting article and after I read it, including the comments there, I found this on youtube which seems to be quite contrary to what is said in that Limerick leader article re the "old women" in Dublin and the few men marching in Limerick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDvd2ToiICI

Although it´s an SF video on youtube it´s some display of "tradition" by them to commemorate the Easter Rising 1916. That video is from 2012 and aside from (the colour of) that uniform similar to that of the Citizen Army, the other uniforms doesn´t appear to be "historical".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭OCorcrain

Thomas_I wrote: »
    That´s an interesting article and after I read it, including the comments there, I found this on youtube which seems to be quite contrary to what is said in that Limerick leader article re the "old women" in Dublin and the few men marching in Limerick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDvd2ToiICI

Although it´s an SF video on youtube it´s some display of "tradition" by them to commemorate the Easter Rising 1916. That video is from 2012 and aside from (the colour of) that uniform similar to that of the Citizen Army, the other uniforms doesn´t appear to be "historical".

No, that is Republican Sinn Féin not Sinn Féin, they are completely different. RSF is a party (I am being very liberal with the term party in this context) that opposes the peace process and supports dissidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Flimbos wrote: »
    The more I watch this flag protest unfold, the more I am convinced that Willie Frazer and his ilk are nothing more than a bunch of complete idiots (as well as sectarian bigots).

You needed to be convinced? Wullie has a lot of past form, he was the "brains" behind the so called Love Ulster march. I have northern protestant friends and in-laws that cringe at the antics of Wullie and his band of braindead followers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

OCorcrain wrote: »
    No, that is Republican Sinn Féin not Sinn Féin, they are completely different. RSF is a party (I am being very liberal with the term party in this context) that opposes the peace process and supports dissidents.

Thank you for that. I thought that they´re a split from SF and I wouldn´t be surprised if there is a link from the RSF to the CIRA. There are lots of videos on youtube from RSF and I´ve just picked that one, because it fits to the picture from the Limerick Leader article.

There are other videos on youtube about the official commemoration of the Easter Rising 1916 in Dublin. Much more preferable than this from the RSF and more decent as well with dignity performed in regards of the meaning of that event.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Just FYI saturdays "protest" has been canceled although it still may be held at another date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

VinLieger wrote: »
    Just FYI saturdays "protest" has been canceled although it still may be held at another date

Frazer has just been on Today FM saying the protest has been postponed, but plans to have it some other time in the future.

Can't believe this eejit is being given so much airtime!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭SoulandForm

Flimbos wrote: »
    He's just been on Today FM saying the protest has been postponed, but plans to have it some other time in the future.

Can't believe this eejit is being given so much airtime!

That means its cancelled like his planned march through South Armagh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

Common sense prevails, thank god.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cheboludo

He's happy with all the coverage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

The best way to keep Wullie Frazer and his mentally dysfunctional, scumbag friends away is if the Gardai refuse to look after them if they decide to come down. They would never come down if they thought there wouldn't be a Gardai buffer zone around them.

He's on 2FM right now.... he says the protest is going ahead on saturday??? He's delibritly trying to cause confusion

I'm confused o.O

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I think you have to give them credit for one thing at least. This whole protest is one big publicity stunt. Obviously every protest is to some degree, but in this case they are protesting somewhere that has practically zero influence over their issues, simply to generate media attention. Now, even if they don't bother to turn up, they have generated a huge amount of publicity.

The guards will probably have extra people on duty even if it doesn't go ahead... €€€'s

• Registered Users Posts: 45,873 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Problem solved

flag1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

cheboludo wrote: »
    He's on 2FM right now.... he says the protest is going ahead on saturday??? He's delibritly trying to cause confusion

How very 1916 this on / off protest is

Why can this be Una Healy and co whinging about not being covered in Tapioa pudding

So any clarification over wtf is going on?

Edit: just listened to the 2fm news and they mentioned nothing about it, is willy just talking ****e as usual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Just watched some video on YouTube of the 2006 riots.
    Mostly Dublin skangers smashing up Dublin reg cars and Dublin businesses while wearing Irish flags. Jaysus... :eek:

I reckon there's reason to worry alright, but hopefully it won't go down like that.

He said on Newstalk it was going ahead.

MrScootch wrote: »
    Just watched some video on YouTube of the 2006 riots.
    Mostly Dublin skangers smashing up Dublin reg cars and Dublin businesses while wearing Irish flags. Jaysus... :eek:

I reckon there's reason to worry alright, but hopefully it won't go down like that.

He said on Newstalk it was going ahead.

When did you hear this as there are no sites reporting it and cant find any evidence that its anything but willie talking out of his arse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

When did you hear this as there are no sites reporting it and cant find any evidence that its anything but willie talking out of his arse
    Heres a video of willie getting prank called today and letting his plans slip.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=01k9yZdxvn0#

Around the 12th minute

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

So is willie going down on friday night or was he leading your man up the garden path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭blahfckingblah

woodoo wrote: »
    So is willie going down on friday night or was he leading your man up the garden path.
    I dont know he really didnt seem wise to what was going on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭GRMA

Willie locked again but he might be down tomorrow so be on guard

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭MrScootch

Was Wednesday, now they're reporting it as postponed too.

• Advertisement

MrScootch wrote: »
    Was Wednesday, now they're reporting it as postponed too.

Ahh yeah your well behind its been postponed since wednesday evening

Advertisement