Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else worried about Saturday's loyalist protest?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 262 ✭✭pcworldisajoke

enda1 wrote: »
    I think you've completely missed his point. He's concerned that there will be people out "causing trouble". i.e. rioting and looting for fun which is not a legitimate form of protest.

of course there will be idiots but why is that a label for everyone though? It's a given that in any large public gathering there will be idiots, anywhere, on earth. There's dopes everywhere.

But calling everyone there on Saturday 'uneducated idiots' for protesting their arrival is a disgraceful comment, and typical of this country and our 'bend over and take it smiling' attitude. We're a nation of cowards, polulace and leaders in general, scared of looking 'rough' , and comments like this guy's further demonstrate that.

It's attitudes like that, which really make me ashamed to be Irish, not the guy that had to leave school early, who didnt get the opportunities he had, and who is genuinely aggrieved that people representing those that would prefer apartheid back in the north are coming to HIS capital city for no good reason. The attitude to label him a scumbag why? Because he has a Dublin accent? And doesn't mangle his accent to sound like he's from anywhere BUT where he's from?

He's the real scumbag, not the guy protesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

of course there will be idiots but why is that a label for everyone though? It's a given that in any large public gathering there will be idiots, anywhere, on earth. There's dopes everywhere.

But calling everyone there on Saturday 'uneducated idiots' for protesting their arrival is a disgraceful comment, and typical of this country and our 'bend over and take it smiling' attitude. We're a nation of cowards, polulace and leaders in general, scared of looking 'rough' , and comments like this guy's further demonstrate that.

It's attitudes like that, which really make me ashamed to be Irish, not the guy that had to leave school early, who didnt get the opportunities he had, and who is genuinely aggrieved that people representing those that would prefer apartheid back in the north are coming to HIS capital city for no good reason. The attitude to label him a scumbag why? Because he has a Dublin accent? And doesn't mangle his accent to sound like he's from anywhere BUT where he's from?

You're the only one referring to everyone. Have you considered reading people's posts before replying with such vitriol?

Well I disagree with you. I think they have every right to protest here as do other non-resident Irish such as the Republicans in the North.
    I agree anyone should have the right to protest, and they shouldn't be stopped. My main issue is the tarring of counter protesters as scumbags. It makes me sick.

Anyway, Watch burglaries shoot up all over the North inner city on Saturday -I'd say all the real scumbags in Dublin are licking their lips at this policing sponge and the freedom they'll have to operate

You're the only one referring to everyone. Have you considered reading people's posts before replying with such vitriol?
    well Enda that's what he said. And in fairness it is a pervasive attitude in Irish society - calling people scumbags for protesting stuff. We are a cowed and bent over nation, and possible the most snobbish on earth, and i'm taking issue with his attitude. Sin e really.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,910 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

This coment is about as bigotted as the muppets that are coming down here to cause trouble. I think you'll find the lads that started all the trouble in 1916 were far from uneducated.

It is quite wrong and pathetic to suggest anyone who protests this will be an uneducated moron. It is their right, and is completely understandable, if they wish to protest the arrival of this disgusting element in their capital city. Sure there might be the odd eejit who's there for the craic, but im sure it's the same with the leylists. The majority of the people there will be your countrymen and women who don't want to see these people in your country protesting something irrelevant to the republic, just to cause trouble. I say if they want trouble, give it to them in spades - if nothing else it will demonstrate the woeful lack of policing that exists in the state.

What a snob you are sir. When did you start hating your own people? And will you be surveying contra-protesters for their education level to back up your claim?? M****T

Like others pointed out you completely missed my point, i have no problem with people going out and peacfully protesting against this other protest, the problem is there is an element who will take advantage and cause trouble like we saw during the love ulster parade and whether you want to deny it or not the proof is in the pudding that protests around this specific issue(Uninionists v Republicans) tends to bring out the worst in society to take advantage of the situation and cause trouble for the fun of it

• Advertisement

Show me the post where i said everyone, in my original post i said "a group" and in my next post replying to you I talked about an "element and the worst in society who take advantage of the situation" nowhere ever did i say everyone so stop making **** up and trying to derail the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

The whole protest should be banned.

Frazer has no business being in Dublin protesting. It will simply cause trouble, and will be an expense to the state in terms of heavy Garda presence

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Mossess

I think it’s a fair statement to say that the police up and down the country know who will be making the trip to Dublin on Saturday, and the plonkers who will be heading into the city centre to throw rocks at them. So here’s a solution. Send them all letters saying that their dole and all social welfare payments are being cut off. If they want to appeal it they will have to turn up to a meeting at their local dole offices at 9am Saturday morning, and the meeting will last 11 hours. They don’t have to turn up. But what do you reckon will happen eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Don't post in this thread again.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

it's not a 'moot point'!! You ask everyone of these fools arriving down here on Saturday if they want dual Irish citizenship and I'll be amazed if you find three. The well known fact is that they don't want it, so coming down here is ridiculous in the extreme.

The 'way of knowing' is using your common sense.

Whether they want to be Irish or not is irrelevant - your right to stage a protest doesn't depend on where you are from (and nor does it depend on the wisdom or stupidity of what you are protesting about).

As it is, remember the whole basis for the entire "United Ireland" claim is that ALL people in the North are Irish, so they ALL have an equal right to protest - yes, Unionists do too. Were there ever a United Ireland, Unionists (or their direct political descendants) would be down protesting ever second month or so just like all the other "regular" RoI protestors do now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Thomas_I

I´m more with the statement of the Labour TD Mr. Gerald Nash:

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1357581932996790.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cheboludo

I think the general feeling is that they have a right to protest but shouldn't?

It's not going to end well, gardai and people just going about their business are the one's who will suffer I think.

Surely they should be taking their protest to London

cheboludo wrote: »
    I think the general feeling is that they have a right to protest but shouldn't?

It's not going to end well, gardai and people just going about their business are the one's who will suffer I think.

Surely they should be taking their protest to London

Yes its the opinion of some they have the right, i disagree however and until they take up thy're choice for an irish passport they are not irish in my eyes and even then i doubt they could honestly consider themselves Irish.
    I know the arguments but if they dont consider themselves to be Irish why do they deserve the right to protest in down here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Should extreme right wing protesters be allowed to protest in a city which is not very supportive towards them?

In England, EDL protests have been banned for the safety of the public. Same logic should apply here in Dublin towards these extremists.

Also, the usual left wing unions and left wing protesters should come out and oppose this Dail protest as these fascist extremists hate their ideology of tolerance.

It is a head scratcher,... I don't see what our politicians can do about the flag situation in Belfast.

Would make more sense to go to London, but nothing about this seems to make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Difference Engine

Attention is the oxygen that fuels people like Frazer. Deny it to him and he will fade away into oblivion.

If I understand a previous post correctly the tricolour won't be flying on Saturday and Govermment buildings will be essentially empty. A bit of a pointless protest.

Ignore him and the few people who go to cause trouble. The Gardai are well able to handle them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

don't see the point in the loyalists coming to Dublin to protest ,, specially when it good possibility will incite trouble.
    there flag issue should be dealt with in uk and not in dublin/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Willie Frazer is just a trouble maker. You'd think that a demonstration like the one he's planned would just be ignored by the Irish at this stage, but on the evidence of 2006, there's a contingent of troublemakers will rise to the bait, just as there was in Belfast among the loyalists.

They should hang a huge banner across the front of Leinster House saying "Don't feed the trolls".

don't see the point in the loyalists coming to Dublin to protest ,, specially when it good possibility will incite trouble.
    there flag issue should be dealt with in uk and not in dublin/

It has been dealt with. A motion was voted on and passed. Democracy just doesn't suit some people though.

cheboludo wrote: »
    It is a head scratcher,... I don't see what our politicians can do about the flag situation in Belfast.

Would make more sense to go to London, but nothing about this seems to make sense.

Frazer seems lose the run of himself around flags for some reason.

See this story

At least if the tricolour isn't flying over the Dail he can always head over to the Italian embassy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭vulmac

My sympathy is with the PSNI who had to face these so called protesters and the shopkeepers in Belfast who had their christmas trade ruined. Our own Garda will have to face the same prospect the weekend for what ??

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

So should we all welcome him by waving miniature Italian flags? ;)

*Rushes out to invest in an Italian flag making company

Lol just read that, he's picking on little children now!!! Willie Frazer is a strange man

• Registered Users Posts: 3,872 ✭✭✭View

It has been dealt with. A motion was voted on and passed. Democracy just doesn't suit some people though.

Well, the Act of Union was voted on - that doesn't mean it was undemocratic to seek its repeal.

I believe there was a Kerry MP who pioneered mass public protests in the 1830s and 1840s against laws he opposed. Now what was his name again? :)

View wrote: »

Well, the Act of Union was voted on - that doesn't mean it was undemocratic to seek its repeal.

I believe there was a Kerry MP who pioneered mass public protests in the 1830s and 1840s against laws he opposed. Now what was his name again? :)

Mass public protests in an era of disenfranchised Catholics. The people Willie Frazer claims to represent have their own elected representatives in the room when the vote was taken.

He can certainly look for it to be repealed and he has the right to protest (as we have the right to ignore him). However he is doing it without popular support, in a manner designed to provoke violence and hatred and in the wrong country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 514 ✭✭✭RUSTEDCORE

Out of curiosity if alot of them were to cross a road without waiting for the green man and were hit by a truck who would be at fault?

RUSTEDCORE wrote: »
    Out of curiosity if alot of them were to cross a road without waiting for the green man and were hit by a truck who would be at fault?

It would be their own fault for waiting for the orange man.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭imfml

The Government should spin it as a Gathering event.

It would be there own fault for waiting for the orange man.

I knew there was something there i just couldnt see it, well done :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭aquascrotum

In advance of the inevitable trouble on Saturday due to this sham, I'd like to put on record as a northern Prod that this idiot and this demonstration does not represent me or any of the many like minded people like me in NI that I've spoken to.

I've written to MLAs to express my disgust at how this proposed protest has not been loudly condemned by the mainstream unionist parties, and at the way in which they are courting the bigots currently f*cking up our country with their protests (instead of roundly condemning them or leaving them isolated) and in doing so allowing all NI protestants / unionists to be tarnished in the same way.

I've no idea what more I can do on a personal level, but want in some way to try to make sure that the rest of Ireland knows that this carry on does not represent me.

It's a long time since I've seen and felt the level of utter exasperation in right thinking people in NI that currently exists.

Advertisement