Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is anyone else worried about Saturday's loyalist protest?

Options
  • 07-01-2013 6:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I am quite worried about what could happen on saturday if the loyalist protest goes ahead. Can it be stopped? is it legal for citizens of another country to protest outside the Dáil?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Irishnige

I would stay away from town that day would be suprised if there's a lot of hassle at it!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

cheboludo wrote: »
    I am quite worried about what could happen on saturday if the loyalist protest goes ahead. Can it be stopped? is it legal for citizens of another country to protest outside the Dáil?

Well in the first instance it could be argued that they are citizens of this country.
    I dont see how it can be stopped, personally I'm not worried about the loyalists , but I am very worried about the so called "republican" rent a mob who will use this as an excuse to riot and loot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cheboludo

That is my worry also,.... and the thugs who just love an excuse to riot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,169 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not worried. Riot or not, it will pass, like the one after the Love Ulster march, and life will go on. As long as no-one is killed or seriously injured.

Got more important things to worry about in life than a bunch of backward folk whose lives have come to a standstill over the flying of a flag. Other backward folk may well cause some bother, but as I say, it won't affect my life one iota.

Now if I was a Guard, or a shopkeeper or business owner nearby I might be worried.

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

There probably will be trouble. While the loyalists are being provocative as usual, the skangers in Celtic jerseys need very little excuse to act the bollocks. Both government should round both sides up, put them in a remote field somewhere and let them fight to the death. The North and South would be better off without these savages.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 cheboludo

Perhaps the three buses which are coming down from the north could be stopped at the border? The guards could use public safety or something similar as a reason to refuse entry? I really don't think it should be allowed to go ahead. They say that only three buses are coming down but what about the possible hundreds of others who will make their own way down. It will be chaos if goes ahead, the thugs who love a riot are licking their lips in Dublin. They have had a week or so to plan a response. The whole thing is a worry, I feel sorry for the guards and business owners/employees near the Dáil.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

The tricolour only flies over Leinster House when the Dáil is in session - which it is not this Saturday. So Willie and his cohort will essentially be demanding the removal of a flag that is not even flying. Should be comical.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Love how nobody seems to care about the businesses located near the dail, who if it does go ahead are gonna loose out on alot of people not willing to come into town due to the possibility of violence and they face the very real possibility of damage and looting to their premises.
    For this reason alone the "protest" should not be allowed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 331 ✭✭Harry Deerpark

VinLieger wrote: »
    Love how nobody seems to care about the businesses located near the dail, who if it does go ahead are gonna loose out on alot of people not willing to come into town due to the possibility of violence and they face the very real possibility of damage and looting to their premises.

I do. I wasn't in that day (don't work Saturdays) but my old workplace was terrorized by the 2006 riots. That is why I suggested putting them in a field somewhere and let them have it out.

It's a shame both governments will agree that they have right to protest, even over something a ridiculous as this. Common sense doesn't prevail anymore.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Common sense doesn't prevail anymore.

Common sense has been replaced by political correctness and Health and Safety....did nobody tell you?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭kirving

The Gardai learned their lesson last time. Plenty of pepper spray, dogs and horses will be out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Skrynesaver

wexie wrote: »
    Common sense has been replaced by political correctness and Health and Safety....did nobody tell you?

In fairness common sense has never been very common

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Perhaps Enda might try to talk some reason in to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭chughes

Hootanany wrote: »
    Perhaps Enda might try to talk some reason in to them.
    cheboludo wrote: »
    It's more likely that Jedward will win a Grammy.

What about if Jedward spoke to them? I'd imagine Willie and the Grimes brothers share a similar IQ level.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

It would be some craic if we took the flag down just as they turned corner. "what flag'

I'm not worried but at the same time I will avoid town

• Administrators Posts: 53,487 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

awec wrote: »
    It will be down, the Dáil doesn't sit on Saturdays.

..and so this protest becomes even more ridiculous. If that was even possible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Pre-emptively stifling free speech because of a hypothetical scenario of what consequences might happen is a very big step on the slippery slope to oppression...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

Pre-emptively stifling free speech because of a hypothetical scenario of what consequences might happen is a very big step on the slippery slope to oppression...

not trying to snaffel your thread op but also is trying to control what sites internet users can use, tom hayes of fg says he wants to control the media sites.

• Advertisement

flutered wrote: »
    not trying to snaffel your thread op but also is trying to control what sites internet users can use, tom hayes of fg says he wants to control the media sites.

There's another thread on that just below this one ya eejit :p MMo'C was at it as well this morning, citing the KPMG thing. Ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

I find it quite hilarious that the Loyalists seems to think it is a Dáil issue, or an issue that will be dealt with in any way by the republic.
    On a side note: Why is the flag only flown during Dáil sessions? If anything, it would be more appropriate to fly it outside of the times of Dáil sessions, when there's no one selling the country's soul to the IMF and whatnot.

P.s: If anyone is planning for Saturday:
    http://bit.ly/TH2lh7

:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

There is gonna be a reaction to the protest, i suppose its up to the gardai to police it properly but i know people who work in that area and business owners are actually quite fearful of it going wrong.
    Im not opposed to free speech but inciting violence and hatred isnt free speech and we saw exactly how this "protest" will turn out back in 2006 so why bother let history repeat itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

We should take down the 'trick-colour' and hoist a Union Jack on the day and watch them scurry around like overloaded-robots..."cannot compute....cannot compute!!!".

Otherwise? Meh. Any tourism is good tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭ruserious

I dunno about ye but I'm getting a front row seat at the Italien embassey :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭Prodigious

We should take down the 'trick-colour' and hoist a Union Jack on the day and watch them scurry around like overloaded-robots..."cannot compute....cannot compute!!!".

Otherwise? Meh. Any tourism is good tourism.

"Three baaaars twoooo euuuuuro"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,673 ✭✭✭flutered

There's another thread on that just below this one ya eejit :p MMo'C was at it as well this morning, citing the KPMG thing. Ridiculous.

as i had not got as far as the thread below how could i have known, what about the attack the post not the poster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

ruserious wrote: »
    I dunno about ye but I'm getting a front row seat at the Italian embassy :)

That's actually an IRA training camp for children. :D

flutered wrote: »
    as i had not got as far as the thread below how could i have known, what about the attack the post not the poster.

I was joking! I most duly apologize for any offense caused, I also draw you to my signature where I have a pre-written disclaimer ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There is gonna be a reaction to the protest, i suppose its up to the gardai to police it properly but i know people who work in that area and business owners are actually quite fearful of it going wrong.
    Im not opposed to free speech but inciting violence and hatred isnt free speech and we saw exactly how this "protest" will turn out back in 2006 so why bother let history repeat itself?

My opinion is that we have nothing to fear from the actions of the Loyalist protesters themselves (although what they think they may possibly achieve by this protest is beyond me).

My main worry/concern is what will happen with the Republican counter-protesters.

I can see one of the following two scenarios happening:

1 - The city gets put into lockdown, severely inconveniencing its residents and destroying trade on the day.

2 - Love Ulster mk2.

Both of which obviously aren't good to be putting things mildly.

Advertisement