Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deception [TV3]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭WealthyB

rok wrote: »
    Yeah their use of the name "Catriona French" jumped out at me straight away too, couldn't be closer to Katy French if they tried. Surely Leigh Arnold would have copped this too - deliberate to maybe get a bit of controversy/press/publicity for the show?

There's also a high profile developer with the same family name.. personally I think that's more pertinent than the link to Katy French

• Registered Users Posts: 23,949 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Oddly enough Leigh Arnold was the next one to take up with the late Katy French's ex Marcus after they split, surprised she didnt strenuously object to the character name

Leigh Arnold is pregnant now but wasnt when the series was filmed, her belly is from her previous pregnancy which wasnt long beforehand. The reason I know this is she complained about it in a newspaper at the weekend that she hadnt liked the costumes as she was self concious about the tummy, but the script called for a slighty rough young middle aged woman of new money who had had too much work done and who wore tarty clothes. Bang on so.

As for the show itself, several well regarded actors should've died a bit with every word they spoke in that rubbish. It was truly awful stuff and would make Fair City and Shortland Street look like West Wing.

Interesting point about the BAI contribution. I remember Mark Cagney one morning long ago on TV3 having a rant about people sneering at TV3 programming and the advantage RTE had with the licence fee resources. He said they were overlooked for awards all the time and it was unfair that they werent recognised for productions on a budget and that the 'creative' talent at TV3 would do wonders with a licence fee. Well there you go Mark, they got a wedge of it and produced an absolute turd. Bit like Ireland AM really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

IsMiseLisa wrote: »
    Watched the first ten minutes. Wooden acting. Dodgy scriptwriting. Whoever directed it should be fired. Also might be no harm in sacking the camera men. Appallingly bad.

coudnt agree more, i wasn't expecting much tbh , it proved to be really bad , terrible acting that would make fair city look realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

So so bad. Coffin, the zoo, the fact that a dad was off to kill himself and happily says "see ya later" to the daughter. The alarm goes off in house so she turns it off, so they changed the gate code but not the alarm.
    Its like the writers said sure feck it it'll do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 696 ✭✭✭coconut5

Is this the first scripted drama TV3 have ever produced?

I know they made a film a few years ago that was pretty atrocious as well, 'Belonging to Laura'.

Handy guide to the characters here:

http://www.tv3.ie/shows.php?request=deception

:D

Also, the viewing figures were 506,000.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

WinterSong wrote: »
    This reminds me, a little bizarrely, of The Room.
    Noticed that myself last night as well. The non-sequitir dialogue, weird periods of silence followed by trying to cram as much ****e talk in as possible.
    wnolan1992 wrote: »
    They don't have the luxury of €170 a year from every household....
    Some serious coin went into this from BAI grants.

Looks like they also shook down local businesses for product placement. I noticed them blurring out signs (the man with sign outside Easons) or taping over the name (Galway Taxis got the gaffer tape treatment).
    solerina wrote: »
    yeah..trying to gas himself in his car but he ran out of petrol...so he texted the wife to bring him some....damn pity she didnt, could have saved us the pain of watching the rest of it !!!!
    Of course his X5 had no petrol. It's a diesel model.

I also admire the way Jack was such a badass that he was able to drive in the gate of the Sportsground that's never usually open during the day. Perhaps his magical petrol/diesel hybrid Bimmer can scale walls as well, just like the other cast members.

You could play bingo with the stock scenic shots of Galway, Circular Road has never worked so hard.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Larbre34 wrote: »
    Interesting point about the BAI contribution. I remember Mark Cagney one morning long ago on TV3 having a rant about people sneering at TV3 programming and the advantage RTE had with the licence fee resources. He said they were overlooked for awards all the time and it was unfair that they werent recognised for productions on a budget and that the 'creative' talent at TV3 would do wonders with a licence fee. Well there you go Mark, they got a wedge of it and produced an absolute turd. Bit like Ireland AM really.

Be fair. The show was "part-funded by the Sound a Vision" fund thing. The sound and vision fund is itself a tiny slice of the licence fee, the amount gotten for this show is more than likely a tiny slice of the overall fund, and amount gotten from the fund is only a slice of the €1.2million it cost.

I think writing it off as a "turd", based on one episode is harsh. I remember people saying the exact same about Love/Hate series 1, and now everyone is fit to hump RTE's leg over it.

The episode was far from good, but I believe there is potential there.

And Deception provided more entertainment in that one hour than Fair City has ever provided, so I won't begrudge TV3 some of the licence fee to try something new as opposed to putting out the tripe that RTE consistently does. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I think writing it off as a "turd", based on one episode is harsh.

Exactly, its a 3 part series, so all we've seen is a third of a turd... a turd of a third... a ninth?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

zuroph wrote: »
    Exactly, its a 3 part series, so all we've seen is a third of a turd... a turd of a third... a ninth?

I thought it was a 6 parter?

Though that probably wouldn't fit in with the joke. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

zuroph wrote: »

Think it's a six parter.
    Looking forward to the next 5.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

Be fair. The show was "part-funded by the Sound a Vision" fund thing. The sound and vision fund is itself a tiny slice of the licence fee, the amount gotten for this show is more than likely a tiny slice of the overall fund, and amount gotten from the fund is only a slice of the €1.2million it cost.

The production received €600,000 from the BAI Sound & Vision Fund which was the largest amount awarded to any single production in that round. This amounted to 50% of the production's overall funding - so it's quite a large slice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

mikom wrote: »

Think it's a six parter.
    Looking forward to the next 5.

TV3 up to now was seriously lacking in the comedy department (apart from those "underground Ireland" documentaries), this show is somewhat refreshing at least, and the fact that there were no less than four ad breaks means you had plenty of time to recover from laughing between each segment!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

it makes no sense its all over the place with imaginary plots...
    cant wait for episode 2 :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JOSman

There was no likeable characters to keep the audience interested in the series. They appear to have tried mood TV, all they did was put everyone in a bad mood.

I'll give it a go until the final episode.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,894 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Neeson wrote: »
    I doubt that very much so. Better maybe because it was so terribly awful.

At least this was funny

• Registered Users Posts: 17,336 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Possedion wrote: »
    it makes no sense its all over the place with imaginary plots...
    cant wait for episode 2 :-)

A plot so convoluted it makes The Wire look like Killinaskully.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Jacks Smirking Revenge

I knew I couldn't have been the only one who found this part hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

JOSman wrote: »

I'll give it a go until the final episode.

So you'll watch 5 episodes but not the final one?!
    Hmmm !?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭daithieoghan

I'm just watching this thing now. It's 5 minutes in and it is already the worst show ever. It can't even compete with fair city. I can't stop watching

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I'm just watching this thing now. It's 5 minutes in and it is already the worst show ever. It can't even compete with fair city. I can't stop watching

Id love to ruin the ending but.... I wouldnt know how to!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Coincidence or what, two Deceptions airing on the same date on both sides of the Atlantic, and both turkeys according to some people? :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245029/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Colm O'Maonlaoi is meant to be in this thing... I didnt see him in it last nite, was he one of the many characters who passed me by..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,909 ✭✭✭Neeson

Colm O'Maonlaoi is meant to be in this thing... I didnt see him in it last nite, was he one of the many characters who passed me by..

He was with a woman in a car. She pulled up and he rolled down the window to speak to someone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭chuckliddell

Neeson wrote: »
    He was with a woman in a car. She pulled up and he rolled down the window to speak to someone.

his son was heading to the zoo!!

ejmaztec wrote: »
    Coincidence or what, two Deceptions airing on the same date on both sides of the Atlantic, and both turkeys according to some people? :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2245029/

You get 6 results when you search deception...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2339850/board/thread/209136872

Apparently LiamKee isn't happy with it at all....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

I want to see what happened to the dead lad.

He will win an IFTA for standout performance in a comedy series

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Possedion

this show would give the republic of telly lads a whole new spectrum!
    the robo garda is more realistic than this s___te :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Gunter the Cat

Where is the pink house located being used in this serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,024 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

You get 6 results when you search deception...

But the others weren't premieres and shown round about the same time as TV3's effort.:P

Advertisement