Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**Spoilers inside!** Pokemon X and Pokemon Y - October 2013! :D

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

A Neurotic wrote: »
    Everyone slams the newer ones in favour of the classics, but seriously, if some of the original 150 came out today there'd be eyebrows raised.

Mr. Mime what even are you.

Don't get me wrong, I love the new ones too and people constantly bashing them and the games does my head in. I just think the newer generation have gotten very, I don't know... Childish? But then they always were.
    There's just something about Gen I&II that I don't find in the rest of them.

I'm always open to new 'Mon, I love the adventure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

Muk. 'Nuff said.

And dude, the Pokémon rights story was awesome! LEAST childish of all the games, I'd say. I found Gen 3, on the other hand, to be quite immature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Gen 1 and 2 are the best gens. This is a fact I can prove, by science*

*This is a lie, I can't prove it. But they are.

Urizen wrote: »
    Muk. 'Nuff said.

And dude, the Pokémon rights story was awesome! LEAST childish of all the games, I'd say. I found Gen 3, on the other hand, to be quite immature.

Not the story lines, just the actual art work.
    They get more and more like something from Adventure Time.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

But Adventure Time is great :(

• Advertisement

It is but it's not Pokémon. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭Urizen

CianRyan wrote: »
    It is but it's not Pokémon. :p

YOU'RE not Pokémon :P

Man those starters are so good. **** unova starters :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Fire, water and grass AGAIN?
    Jaysus. Way to shake the system to it's foundations!

Why can't you start with a bunch of dragons? Why can't you start as a Team <insert name> grunt with nothing but a Zubat and a license to cause trouble? Why can't you catch people in Pokéballs and force them to fight wild animals like some crazed japaroman emperor?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 15,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Atavan-Halen

If its fire/fighting again I'll be sad:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

I will be so angry if this happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭elekid

In the video Fennekin uses a purple Psychic-looking attack, which gives me hope.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators Posts: 24,124 Mod ✭✭✭✭Angron

I'd like a good fire/psychic pokémon, I'm not really a fan of Victini.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Quick tip from the bargains thread

deal on 3ds

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

More Legendaries?

There's way too many imo :(

Ah stop, every land has its own myths and legends, why should Pokémon be any different.

OH, I want to be able to legitimately catch Mew this gen. Yep, about time too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ah stop, every land has its own myths and legends, why should Pokémon be any different.

I did lol :p

Tis true though! Could you not legitimately get mew in gen 4 through that wii game thing?

Yes you can get Mew through Pokemon Ranch. You just have to store 1000 pokemon in it. Sounds like a lot but if your on a masuda run it fills up pretty fast. Mine has my almost a full live pokedex with the rest filled with charmanders + magikarps.

Must check it actually and see if the charmanders have eaten the rest of them by now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Sequel confirmed

230728_243416035792243_1234572676_n.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

There's just something about Gen I&II that I don't find in the rest of them.

Gen I and II had the task of catching them all, the storyline was fun but didnt really overshadow the initial aim of the game. Soon after that it stopped being about catching them and instead saving the world etc. The thing that made it fun to begin with was now secondary to the storyline.

In Gen I you could literally catch them all (even if you had to glitch for Mew), in Gen II you could get nearly all of them. I think only Mew and Celebi were missing without cheating/glitches. How many now can you not get without having to trade with countless people? Nowhere near as fun when you are short probably more than a quarter without trades/cheats.

Plus, it doesnt help that very few actually look good these days :pac:

Plus gen II had the awesome thing of crossing to kanto after you'd beaten the elite 4. I feel it had more impact in the original gold/silver then in heartgold, since A. you didn't expect it, and B. red/blue/yellow were much more recent at the time, so it was like a really cool thing, even if that was a really stripped kanto. God I love those games :pac:

I got back into the series with Diamond/Pearl. I couldnt afford a gameboy when i was younger so i only got back into them when i could afford them.

I found Fire Red to be the best of them all. I could never really get into emerald and really only finished it so i could get as many pokemon from that game over to diamond

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

Gen II is probably my least favourite. It gives you a squashed region for the main quest, and offers a glorified boss-rush in its post-game, which happens to be so easy it's hardly worth bothering with.

Granted, I do like it, as a lot of the creature introduced are quite deadly, and many of the ideas introduced were brilliant, but it took me a while to figure out why I found completing G/S/C to be so lacking, and I realized it was due to the fact they tried to squeeze too much in, and spread itself too thin as a result.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »
    Gen II is probably my least favourite. It gives you a squashed region for the main quest, and offers a glorified boss-rush in its post-game, which happens to be so easy it's hardly worth bothering with.

Granted, I do like it, as a lot of the creature introduced are quite deadly, and many of the ideas introduced were brilliant, but it took me a while to figure out why I found completing G/S/C to be so lacking, and I realized it was due to the fact they tried to squeeze too much in, and spread itself too thin as a result.

I highly disagree with this statement.

Mr.Saturn wrote: »

You did get through the gyms too quickly for Kanto but bar taking all your Pokemon and sending you back to the start, their wasnt a whole they could have done. I wouldnt have minded having to start again (provided you got the rest back when you got all the badges or something) but I doubt it would have been a very popular decision.

Just thinking about it now, they could have kept Team Rocket alive (or a new gang) and have them literally steal your Pokemon. You have to chase them down to get them back. Thats the only way I could see it working but again, I suspect the majority of players would have hated losing everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

That, sir, is an awesome idea.

I don't know about you but with the exception of Nuzlocke runs and 2 specific battles (my first E4 run in Diamond and the very first battle in Black 2) I don't think I've ever lost a battle in a Pokémon game.

A scripted battle that, no matter how hard you try, you cannot win... the Team <whatever> grunt takes all your 'mon and your PC access card so you can't get any of them back. They take all your money, your balls (pokéballs, perv!) and TMs and head for the hills, leaving you in the tall grass. You're found by a friendly Rattatta or maybe a Zubat mistakes you for it's mother, perhaps your groans of pain sound like the mating cry of the Psyduck. Whatever, you get back on your feet and start training your team with just 1 mon, 5 empty slots on your team and a belly that's rumbling for a big plate of justice....

They'd never do that though, it might upset the kids. Instead, why not have a legendary that looks like a big bowl of jelly with orange segments in it? Fiesta!

Banjo wrote: »
    That, sir, is an awesome idea.

I don't know about you but with the exception of Nuzlocke runs and 2 specific battles (my first E4 run in Diamond and the very first battle in Black 2) I don't think I've ever lost a battle in a Pokémon game.

A scripted battle that, no matter how hard you try, you cannot win... the Team <whatever> grunt takes all your 'mon and your PC access card so you can't get any of them back. They take all your money, your balls (pokéballs, perv!) and TMs and head for the hills, leaving you in the tall grass. You're found by a friendly Rattatta or maybe a Zubat mistakes you for it's mother, perhaps your groans of pain sound like the mating cry of the Psyduck. Whatever, you get back on your feet and start training your team with just 1 mon, 5 empty slots on your team and a belly that's rumbling for a big plate of justice....

They'd never do that though, it might upset the kids. Instead, why not have a legendary that looks like a big bowl of jelly with orange segments in it? Fiesta!

I really wish they had done something like that now! :pac:

A more common starter would have been a great addition rather than a fairly rare one for no reason. Makes it much more of a challenge. If needs be, use the yellow method to give out the usual starters later on.

If they could make battles work in the same way they do in the manga.... *insert drooling*

• Advertisement

cloud493 wrote: »
    If they could make battles work in the same way they do in the manga.... *insert drooling*

Over anything else, I've always wanted this.

Advertisement