Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucial 256GB SSD - Upcoming Amazon Lightening Deal Today.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

dodzy wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply Xzen. Unfortunately, its not that model. Its a pentium core 2 duo IIRC. Does your advice still stand ? Not a gamer so no issue there.

I'm not familiar with that model. Do you have it with you, you should see a model number usually under the display or else underneath near the battery.

A lot of Core 2s by dell were made with IDE instead of SATA so can't be sure without the exact model.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Have one in the basket. Do I need to buy a 3.5" bracket as well ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Cheers OP! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

AFAIK the lightning deal is now over so you would have to pay the full price ~£150(€190+ postage). Its probably one of the best SSD's around at the moment if your in the market for one.

If you are fitting it into a desktop you dont "need" a bracket. There are no moving parts so you could sellotape it to the case if you wanted. What I ended up doing is cutting a hole in the back of the box it came in and stufffing the SSD, case and all, into one of the HDD bays. Actually fits quiet snug :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

great thing about SSD's is that there are no heat & vibration issues, so you could fit it anywhere inside your PC using decent double-sided tape, it does not even have to be in a HDD bay, e.g. inside panel of the case would be fine.

• Advertisement

_Puma_ wrote: »
    AFAIK the lightning deal is now over so you would have to pay the full price ~£150(€190+ postage). Its probably one of the best SSD's around at the moment if your in the market for one.

If you are fitting it into a desktop you dont "need" a bracket. There are no moving parts so you could sellotape it to the case if you wanted. What I ended up doing is cutting a hole in the back of the box it came in and stufffing the SSD, case and all, into one of the HDD bays. Actually fits quiet snug :)

Ah Balls. I missed the deal. FML :(
    Thanks anyway.
    Edit : I'm looking at the 128gb version for £78. I'm only gonna have windows, Adobe Suite, and some other programs on it.
    Would that be enough space for those :)

Have one in the basket. Do I need to buy a 3.5" bracket as well ?

There are no moving components so no need to tether these to your case. If like me you want to leave them sitting at the bottom of the case, they'll be perfectly fine.

If you want your case to look very neat you could get a bracket, though it won't affect performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭padyjoe

Any recommendation for a 2.5" caddy or a sata to usb cable? If the hdd goes, ssd comes I'll have to swap them all the time when I need the old hdd. Looking for some spacesaver solution. Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

You sure...?Still saying
    36% Claimed
    06h 54m 30s

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

Thanks anyway.

No, actually you didn't. It's still on with plenty available at £114.99. Nearly seven hours to go...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

fletch wrote: »
    You sure...?Still saying
    36% Claimed
    06h 54m 30s

I just checked out there and got the deal price. :)

Ah my apologies, It was in my basket and the time ran out so I assumed it was over, Must have been just the time left to leave it in my basket.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Quaderno

glynf wrote: »
    Many thanks for that Xzen, got one for 120.03 Stg delivered.

Did you check the box at "free super saver delivery"? Should be £114.99. May be you want cancel it and try again?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

I'm in!

€146.83

Not bad at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,266 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Yeah, I couldn't resist either, I got a new laptop about 2 months ago with an SSD and have been seriously impressed with it's speed. Looks like my trusty desktop is getting an upgrade. Thanks OP :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

jenno86 wrote: »
    Stalker!

Would be a waste in that tho?

Watch the videos on Youtube. They're major benefits on the PS3 having a SSD. it takes an eternity to install and delete stuff on the regular drives. Much quicker on the SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭The Guvnor

Lads realtively green here on SSD.

Is it fair to safe they are faster and a lot more stable/secure due to lack of moving parts?

You would load os onto ssd and start comp from there?

It looks interesting and is a great price.

Quaderno wrote: »
    No, actually you didn't. It's still on with plenty available at £114.99. Nearly seven hours to go...

Thanks just ordered now :D

The Guvnor wrote: »
    Lads realtively green here on SSD.

Is it fair to safe they are faster and a lot more stable/secure due to lack of moving parts?

You would load os onto ssd and start comp from there?

It looks interesting and is a great price.

Ya exactly. Most Computers post 2011 have SATA III compatibility which that one is, but it is also compatible with SATA I and SATA II. Anything pre 2004 is probably IDE and not compatible.

The limiting factor with these is the price per GB, but it is coming down dramatically at the moment. When the price per GB comes down enough for people to be able to afford 500G and 1TB SSD's HDD's will become extinct.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

I got This just before Christmas. How does the Crucial M4 compare?

I think I ended paying €130 for this one delivered and have it in my 2011 Macbook Pro now, and I must say, these SSDs seriously increase the laptop speed.

Everything is pretty much instant with these in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Iv got two Intel 330 Series 128GB SSD drives im going to put into a new build in a RAID config. I know it will be half the capacity of this drive but Im only going to be running the OS, Photoshop and two games off it so there will be plenty of space left.

Would I get better performance off the RAIDed HDs as apposed to this single drive?

Cheers

The older Samsung Models as far as Im aware had some reliability issues with the controller but the new models, such as that one, seem to have fixed that. The Crucial has a Marvell controller which is generally agreed to have less problems.

General gist for the Samsung models is slightly faster speeds, slightly less reliability than the Crucial. The 840 is a new model so hard to comment definitively on it just yet.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

_Puma_ wrote: »
    The older Samsung Models as far as Im aware had some reliability issues with the controller but the new models, such as that one, seem to have fixed that. The Crucial has a Marvell controller which is generally agreed to have less problems.

General gist for the Samsung models is slightly faster speeds, slightly less reliability than the Crucial. The 840 is a new model so hard to comment definitively on it just yet.

I would have though the Samsung 830 was every bit as highly regarded as the M4 for reliability?

The 840 is a little unproven for sure as they changed the NAND chips used and is is only out a few months. But certainly has some decent benchmarks thats for sure. :)

marco_polo wrote: »
    I would have though the Samsung 830 was every bit as highly regarded as the M4 for reliability?

The 840 is a little unproven for sure as they changed the NAND chips used and is is only out a few months. But certainly has some decent benchmarks thats for sure. :)

Ya your right, Samsung have definitely proved it with their controller in the 830 but have seemed to have taken a step back with the 840. Still it is very much up in the air at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭conjamuk

Got it for 114. Great price.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Couldnt resist as my current SSD is full.
    Got it for €146.83 delivered to my door.

Quick question i have W7 on my OZC Vertex 2 SSD , should i stick it on the Crucial now instead ?

Is your Motherboard SATA III Compatible? If so then yes as the OZC Vertex 2 is only SATA II.

Dcully wrote: »
    Quick question i have W7 on my OZC Vertex 2 SSD , should i stick it on the Crucial now instead ?

Definitely, this Crucial has a better controller and is SATA 3 (6GB/s) vs the V2 which has SATA 2 (3GB/s) so read/write is going to be a good bit better.

IIRC, the V2 had issues with TRIM and slowdowns, so again, the V2 would be better with the new controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭DeadParrot

****e, I did miss it
    Nearly bought it anyway but €220 incl delivery just annoys me knowing others got it cheaper :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Yes my motherboard is SATA 3 compatible ASUS P8P67.
    Will i still be able to use both? and set up one as SATA3 and the other SATA2, or am i going about this the wrong way?

Advertisement