Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crucial 256GB SSD - Upcoming Amazon Lightening Deal Today.

Options
  • 07-01-2013 8:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭

Yep, yet another SSD lightening deal. You can never have enough SSDs, especially in a RAID or JBOD :)

It'll be on here Amazon this afternoon at 12:59

Link to the link to the Lightening Deals

Current price excluding the deal is £144.79/€177.22 (Delivered UK or NI with Parcel Motel) OR £148.41/€182.12 with Irish VAT + Free delivery to Ireland.

And here we go, SSD Deal has started with a final price for Free delivery in UK or Ireland at £114.99 / €141.77

-= deal is done for tonight, but keep an eye out, I've seen Amazon do deals like this 2-3 days in a row :D =-

To make sure you get the deal some things I came by:

++ 1 per customer (or at least per account ;) )

To get the deal, visit the Lightening Deals
    * Add to basket
    * You then have less than 15 mins to check-out or you loose the offer permanently (till next days deal anyway)
    * As you go through the check-out don't worry if it looks more expensive, just get to the final page.
    * Final check-out page, be certain that you don't accidentally un-tick the discount -That's your Lightening deal. If you do, you can't get it back until the next Lightening Deal.

41iBI%2BQ2gkL._AA300_.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Nice, these are great drives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭thenightrider

AHHHH FFS ill be doing an exam then not a hope of me being able to get on line then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks a mill!! Roll on 12.59!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Xzen wrote: »
    Yep, yet another SSD lightening deal. You can never have enough SSDs, especially in a RAID or JBOD :)

It'll be on here Amazon this afternoon at 12:59

Current price excluding the deal is £144.79/€177.22 (Delivered UK or NI with Parcel Motel) OR £148.41/€182.12 with Irish VAT + Free delivery to Ireland.

If the other SSD lightening deals are anything to go by, the price should drop by about 30%+ so we can estimate deal price will be about €120

I'll keep my beady little eye on it and update here when the price pops up ;)

41iBI%2BQ2gkL._AA300_.jpg

It says on the item details
    "Best used for most systems bought in 2011 or later"
    Mine is a self build, Win 7 64bit & its about 3 years old. I assume it will work OK ?

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Xzen

Mine is a self build, Win 7 64bit & its about 3 years old. I assume it will work OK ?

It'll still work and be pretty damn fast.

The recommendation is because most systems 3yrs or older don't have SATA III, which runs at 6GB/s.

You probably have a SATA II connection (same connector and back/forward compatible with this SSD) so will probably get 3GB/s. It's still faster than any HDD though

If you happen to know your motherboard model, let me know I can find out for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

you'll be fine, I assume that quote may be in reference to sata II versus sata III where obviously III would be better but it will still do a significant job on a sata II machine

It'll still work and be pretty damn fast.

The recommendation is because most systems 3yrs or older don't have SATA III, which runs at 6GB/s.

You probably have a SATA II connection (same connector and back/forward compatible with this SSD) so will probably get 3GB/s. It's still faster than any HDD though

If you happen to know your motherboard model, let me know I can find out for you.

I'm using the following

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3, Processor
    7MB (1MB L2 +6MB L3)

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, AMD 770, Motherboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

I have a 2012 13" Macbook Pro. Will this work?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

Or you can add it to your recently purchased PS3 12GIG :D

I'm using the following

AMD Phenom II X2 550 Black Edition Box, Sockel AM3, Processor
    7MB (1MB L2 +6MB L3)

Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P, AMD 770, Motherboard.

That should work just fine for you.

You motherboard has Sata II connector by the way.

• Advertisement

jenno86 wrote: »
    I have a 2012 13" Macbook Pro. Will this work?

As far as I know, they use a mini-PCIe instead of SATA so this wouldn't be compatible - I may be wrong though. You could check with Apple before hand.

Additionally, Apple are very finicky with warranties, if you open your laptop to install a new HDD you might find all chances of repair in future are blocked or more expensive.

You could check this with Apple before hand too, just in case :)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

The M4 is a great drive, I have 64GB version in my machine at the minute and it's fantastic, haven't had any issues since I got mine, which is well over a year ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭pedatron

As far as I know, they use a mini-PCIe instead of SATA so this wouldn't be compatible - I may be wrong though. You could check with Apple before hand.

Additionally, Apple are very finicky with warranties, if you open your laptop to install a new HDD you might find all chances of repair in future are blocked or more expensive.

You could check this with Apple before hand too, just in case :)
    I thought the normal ssds worked with mb pros no? Im on my phone in work so looking it up is too much effort! Great deal tho!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,385 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

The Deal is up there £114.99 (approx. €145 - €150 depending on VAT and currency conversion) and is eligible for Super Saver / Free Postage to Ireland.

Hard drive in my NB is about to die and was going to buy one of these direct from Crucial this morning. Saved myself about €50 I reckon. Thanks OP!

£114.99. How bad. Anyone know if it'll work for a macbook pro 2012???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Or you can add it to your recently purchased PS3 12GIG :D

Stalker!

Would be a waste in that tho?

Looked it up and it is suitable. Ahhhh the temptation!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭fletch

Bought one....interesting to see the difference in performance.

Price changed for anyone. Still showing £145

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭cruhoortwunk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭ninjasurfer1

I ordered one, then cancelled it. I've changed my mind again, but can't see the add to basket button (It shows the lightening button which brings me back to the generic lightening deal page).

Does anyone know if you order once, whether you can order again or are you stuck to one order for a lightening deal?

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Just bought the exact same one on Komplett 2 weeks ago for €200. Have it in the basket now contemplating if I need another.

Gonna hold out. Xmas bills yet to be paid so will do that first. Feck it anyway it was a super deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

A quick question for the knowledgeable folk here.....

I have a dell studio 17" currently fitted with 2 HDDs. The machine is probably 3-4yrs old. Working fine. Would I see any big operational differences fitting this ? Cheers in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭_Puma_

As long as its SATA yes. You would need to reinstall Widows to the SSD but is definitley worth it for the boot up times alone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Many thanks for that Xzen, got one for 120.03 Stg delivered.

dodzy wrote: »
    A quick question for the knowledgeable folk here.....

I have a dell studio 17" currently fitted with 2 HDDs. The machine is probably 3-4yrs old. Working fine. Would I see any big operational differences fitting this ? Cheers in advance.

If its this model then yes, you'll see a considerable difference in boot and sleep time, and general loading times for other stuff.

It's not like a RAM/graphics/CPU upgrade so you won't be able to say play newer games on it or anything of that magnitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,932 ✭✭✭dodzy

If its this model then yes, you'll see a considerable difference in boot and sleep time, and general loading times for other stuff.

It's not like a RAM/graphics/CPU upgrade so you won't be able to say play newer games on it or anything of that magnitude.
    Thanks for the quick reply Xzen. Unfortunately, its not that model. Its a pentium core 2 duo IIRC. Does your advice still stand ? Not a gamer so no issue there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

glynf wrote: »
    Many thanks for that Xzen, got one for 120.03 Stg delivered.

Same here, worked out about 153e. Not a bad price!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭glynf

Heh. damn right:) I paid €177 for the 128Gb version less than 9 months ago.

Advertisement