Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC vs BDO - Discuss

Options
  • 05-01-2013 4:49pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,264 Mod ✭✭✭✭

This thread is for discussing the merits and differences between both organisations. I do not want the BDO World Championships thread being used for this.

Personally I think that there is room in the world of darts for both organisations.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Max Power

Can't bring myself to watch the BDO. Everything is so amateurish compared to the PDC. The walk ons are cringeworthy to say the least. The callers are brutal. No atmosphere from the crowd. "LETS PLAY DARTS" feck off! Bob Anderson's analysis are painful to listen to.

Don't get me started on the actual darts.

Kingp35 wrote: »
    Personally I think that there is room in the world of darts for both organisations.

So do I. I don't see the need for a unified organisation or 1 world championship. In many sports there is not even 1 world championship, in golf and tennis there are 4 majors and none is "better" than the other, in golf there are differing organisations in Europe, in the USA, and players play on one tour or the other. The game might benefit from one or two more Grand Slam type tournaments, it's my favourite tournament, where the players mix. But otherwise think if anything the split increases coverage, the game is shown across more channels, and the two organisations seem to have settled down side by side with the odd flare up when someone crosses to the PDC or Adams says the BDO is the only organisation etc. etc.

Far prefer the Lakeside to 4,000 people booing or chanting about tables and chairs though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

repsol wrote: »
    I enjoy the standard of the PDC but you are right,SKY ruins it.The BDC has a nice atmosphere.I like the interviews in the practice room/bar area.You have a player being interviewed and in the background Martin Adams or someone having a pint and a bag of crisps!:)

So you prefer the amateur look? WTF is goign on during this game....nobodys got a clue about the scores....ya can be 100% certain there would never be a delay in a major sly sports tournament like this over scores

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Devastator wrote: »
    So you prefer the amateur look? WTF is goign on during this game....nobodys got a clue about the scores....ya can be 100% certain there would never be a delay in a major sly sports tournament like this over scores
    Yes, you're right the PDC is better because they've never had human error interupt a game :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Premier League = Skys cash cow

Yeah premier league games were never delayed.:rolleyes:

These things happen

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Can't bring myself to watch the BDO. Everything is so amateurish compared to the PDC. The walk ons are cringeworthy to say the least. The callers are brutal. No atmosphere from the crowd. "LETS PLAY DARTS" feck off! Bob Anderson's analysis are painful to listen to.

Don't get me started on the actual darts.

watching it now and the scores on the scoreboard were wrong...5 minute delay before they fixed it...amateurish is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,541 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

There is definitely a place for both. The PDC has a higher standard overall in terms of averages, but very often the BDO games will be closer affairs and more enjoyable as a result. The BDO dont seem to do themselves many favours in terms of organisation and exposure though, really only get one week the public mind each year.

The crowd in the BDO is far better imo and obviously there to enjoy the darts first and foremost whereas the PDC crowd are more into just getting pi$$ed, chanting and getting their face on the telly

markie29 wrote: »
    watching it now and the scores on the scoreboard were wrong...5 minute delay before they fixed it...amateurish is an understatement.

Technical stuff happens at events from time to time. Last year at the PDC championships for example the semi final turned into a farce with Wade and Lewis walking off the stage on a few occasions citing a draught.

Unfair to just single out the BDO and call them amateurs due to a technical issue imo

markie29 wrote: »

One doesn't want to be unkind, but not as bad as a player having a stroke on stage while the masses booed and chanted. About tables and chairs presumably.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,361 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

If I was going to one day of Darts then PDC quarter final day would be my choice.
    If I was going to one week of Darts then the week at Lakeside for the BDO would be my choice - its just seems a more enjoyable fun event to be part of.

• Advertisement

One doesn't want to be unkind, but not as bad as a player having a stroke on stage while the masses booed and chanted. About tables and chairs presumably.
    Yes because the crowd knew he was having a stroke. :rolleyes:

Yes because the crowd knew he was having a stroke. :rolleyes:

In other sports, when a player is suffering from a serious medical condition, usually someone steps in.

In darts, and unfortunately for the PDC in their tournament, there was possibly an assumption that he had a different condition, so they let him get on with it.

It was a bad bad night for darts. Much worse than a scoreboard glitch. Scoreboard problems are not as serious as health issues, you will surely agree that.

But hey, the tables took the mick out of the chairs, and vice versa.

I think its clear, in the last few years the PDC have taken almost all talent from the BDO.

I cant stand darts on sky, there is something thuggish about that setup

I agree about the BDO looking like amateur competition(nothing to do with players) and that delay over the scores was a joke!

It is not comparable to semi between Wade/Lewis because that was over a breeze coming in.....today they couldnt get the scores right! :rolleyes: PDC have markers on stage, if there is a discrepancy over the score it takes 15-20 seconds to fix and the game continues. That must have taken 5 minutes to sort out today

The perfect world would have the PDC players playing in a BDO atmosphere. I'm sure most real darts fans will agree with that.
    I think saying the BDO is better because a player had a stroke while playing in the PDC is horseshít tbf.

Felexicon wrote: »
    The perfect world would have the PDC players playing in a BDO atmosphere. I'm sure most real darts fans will agree with that.
    I think saying the BDO is better because a player had a stroke while playing in the PDC is horseshít tbf.

That was the case not so long ago but obviously the money from sky was too much to turn down

I agree about the BDO looking like amateur competition(nothing to do with players) and that delay over the scores was a joke!

It is not comparable to semi between Wade/Lewis because that was over a breeze coming in.....today they couldnt get the scores right! :rolleyes: PDC have markers on stage, if there is a discrepancy over the score it takes 15-20 seconds to fix and the game continues. That must have taken 5 minutes to sort out today
    Really? You're going to base your judgement on one incident that happened about 20 minutes ago. Seems legit.
    Hope there were no small kids about when your knee jerked.

Possibly because it wasn't said and you missed the point, or failed to understand it?

Someone was suggesting that a glitch in the scoreboard was like some really damning event. I pointed out that the sport has seen worse moments. If you disagree and think that a player having a stroke is less serious than some technical issue, fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

The standard is obviously higher in the PDC but the top players in the BDO would hold their own against the top players in the PDC and it's been that way for a while.

The biggest difference is when you move further down the rankings in the BDO it's nowhere near the quality of player that's in the corresponding positions in the PDC.

The likes of Waites, O'Shea and Bunting would do really well in the PDC imo.

T-K-O wrote: »
    That was the case not so long ago but obviously the money from sky was too much to turn down
    It's not Sky who I'd lay the blame at as much as Barry Hearne. He tried to bring the football style crowd behaviour to snooker until the players told him to fúck off.
    If he wanted to stop it he could just instruct referees to stop games until crowds were quiet

• Advertisement

Possibly because it wasn't said and you missed the point, or failed to understand it?

Someone was suggesting that a glitch in the scoreboard was like some really damning event. I pointed out that the sport has seen worse moments. If you disagree and think that a player having a stroke is less serious than some technical issue, fair enough.
    Did you watch that game with Hankey and MVG? If so, did you know he was having a stroke?

I'm no expert but I don't think the PDC refs and callers are Doctors.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    The standard is obviously higher in the PDC but the top players in the BDO would hold their own against the top players in the PDC and it's been that way for a while.

The biggest difference is when you move further down the rankings in the BDO it's nowhere near the quality of player that's in the corresponding positions in the PDC.

The likes of Waites, O'Shea and Bunting would do really well in the PDC imo.

Think that's certainly true. Only a handful of BDO players would survive at the top of the PDC.

I enjoy watching both as said before but it must be said that the BDO really fail when it comes to promoting their games. Very little (if any) tv coverage during the year and when the World Championship comes along they cant even get every game shown live despite having a contract with 2 TV stations who have 7 channels between them. For them not to have arranged to show the opening game of their World Championship is an absolute joke. That would be a far more amatuerish thing to be concerned about than a faulty scoreboard imo

Really? You're going to base your judgement on one incident that happened about 20 minutes ago. Seems legit.
    Hope there were no small kids about when your knee jerked.

yes your absolutely correct because I only started watching darts 20 mins ago :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

don't be a plum your whole life lad :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

Surprise Surprise, the long time darts fans tell defend the BDO in the face of the blow in's basking in the drama of the PDC.

Couldn't give a toss about crowds or atmosphere or whatever, the quality of Darts in the PDC is simply better. Sure its glossy, a bit crass and easy to knock due to the casual fans jumping on the band wagon but the simple fact is its better quality and the winner is the true world champ.

Comparing the 2 world championships as similar to majors in golf is a bit of a joke too. Every major golfer competes in all the 4 majors, its not the case with the darts.

The best players want to test themselves in the PDC pretty much. Those who languish in the BDO with no ambition of switching over are comfy living in their bubble believing they are competing at the highest level.

Its a pure case of terrestrial tv v Satellite and it shows.

It's not Sky who I'd lay the blame at as much as Barry Hearne. He tried to bring the football style crowd behaviour to snooker until the players told him to fúck off.
    If he wanted to stop it he could just instruct referees to stop games until crowds were quiet

They could stop it but they wont. It suits everyone involved. PDC/SKY is like watching reality TV, it gets lapped up by the gen pop.

Same goes for F1 on sky and the premier league

Did you watch that game with Hankey and MVG? If so, did you know he was having a stroke?

I'm no expert but I don't think the PDC refs and callers are Doctors.

Yes. No.

Again, you miss the point. I'm not saying the crowd should have known, or I knew.

The point is that just about the worst sight ever in darts happened in a PDC tournament recently. I'm not blamingthe crowd. But let's not pretend a scoreboard fail is that big an issue or like some really awful sight. We've all seen worse, much worse.

Its a bit of a catch 22 for the PDC players though, the large crowds = bigger prize money. But its the abilty to get pi$$ed up, shout, boo, chant and generally act the eejit that appeals to people to attend and hence bring in the big crowds

They are both technical issues though, the draught was caused by the air ventilation system.

My point is stuff happens from time to time to cause delays in lots of sporting events. I wouldnt call the BDO guys amatuers purely based on a faulty scoreboard

• Advertisement

Jayob10 wrote: »
    Couldn't give a toss about crowds or atmosphere or whatever, the quality of Darts in the PDC is simply better. Sure its glossy, a bit crass and easy to knock due to the casual fans jumping on the band wagon but the simple fact is its better quality and the winner is the true world champ.

But take football. A lot of Irish people will watch Liverpool, a mid table team in an inferior league, compared to La Liga. If quality was the only issue in sports, then everyone would watch Barcelona and ManU. Do you watch club football? Do you limit it to the best teams only?

Advertisement