Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber bullying going on right now by everyone I know - MOD WARNING POST #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Ahnowbrowncow, the post below contains some authority (amidst the speculation) as to what sparked the incident.
    Higher wrote: »
    She came into Rays Pizza shoeless and eating scraps of pizza off the table. She was clearly provoked by the guys filming and gave the OTT reaction. My reading is the lads themselves alleged she was poor because of her shoeless state (would explain her 'you cant afford shoes' comment. She then responded saying she was rich, her dad is partner KPMG etc. to shut them up. It was the sort of mad rant that I used to see people who were bullied in school go on when the abuse got too much.

Also the lads filming try to get camera shots up her skirt
    Tis pretty clear the filmer wasn't a quiet gent enjoying his pizza who was suddenly attacked with no provocation. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous, obtuse and smacks of an agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Madam_X wrote: »
    Ahnowbrowncow, the post below contains some authority (amidst the speculation) as to what sparked the incident.

Tis pretty clear the filmer wasn't a quiet gent enjoying his pizza who was suddenly attacked with no provocation. To suggest otherwise is disingenuous, obtuse and smacks of an agenda.

I had read that but I took it with a large pinch of salt as higher has just extrapolated that from comments they've read and the fact she wasn't wearing her shoes, people who weren't there have being saying all kinds of crap in the comments so I wouldn't call that an authority and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous and obtuse.

Also, what agenda?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

She is a victim of her own actions. I've said before, she doesn't deserve the abuse she's getting but if she hadn't acted like a knob this wouldn't have happended. I've been very drunk recently and in the past but I have yet to start insulting strangers.

And for some reason you're ignoring the fact he's the the victim in the video, she was humiliating him in a public place. All we know is this guy was sitting eating a pizza after a night out and he starts getting shouted and insulted by some girl. You can suppose all you like as to what happened before the video started, we don't know.

Oh right, so as long you are not physically assaulted you think being insulted in public should just be taken on the chin, laughed off?

I don't think someone drunkenly insulting you warrants posting the video online and trying to ruin their life. There aren't many people who can say, hand on heart, that they've never done something ridiculous or obnoxious when drunk. Does she seem like a nice person? No, not at all. But if she'd done that to me, I wouldn't have dreamed of posting that video.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to the guy who posted this, I was referring to people in general who can't go out without filming people minding their own business but who cares?

Was she minding her own business? It doesn't seem like it to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't think someone drunkenly insulting you warrants posting the video online and trying to ruin their life. There aren't many people who can say, hand on heart, that they've never done something ridiculous or obnoxious when drunk. Does she seem like a nice person? No, not at all. But if she'd done that to me, I wouldn't have dreamed of posting that video.

Does that go for all the drunken racists ranting on buses in England too?

• Advertisement

I had read that but I took it with a large pinch of salt as higher has just extrapolated that from comments they've read and the fact she wasn't wearing her shoes, people who weren't there have being saying all kinds of crap in the comments so I wouldn't call that an authority and to suggest otherwise is disingenuous and obtuse.

Also, what agenda?
    Well an unwillingness to acknowledge from the video evidence alone that the filmer was hardly an innocent victim. Why is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Higher wrote: »
    I'm like a broken record at this stage buuuuuuttt...

People need to actually look at the background of the video. She came into Rays Pizza shoeless and eating scraps of pizza off the table. She was clearly provoked by the guys filming and gave the OTT reaction. My reading is the lads themselves alleged she was poor because of her shoeless state (would explain her 'you cant afford shoes' comment. She then responded saying she was rich, her dad is partner KPMG etc. to shut them up. It was the sort of mad rant that I used to see people who were bullied in school go on when the abuse got too much.

Also the lads filming try to get camera shots up her skirt, which is disgusting to be honest.

Bullying perverts IMO.

You know this how?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

They didn't try to get any upskirt camera shots of her!

Look at the video and you'll clearly she she flashes her knickers cause she stands up and is wearing a very short skirt.

They started to film her cause she came in drunk and started asking for other peoples pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

if you're going to get drunk off your head aged 16, and act a complete douche in public, you have to be prepared to face the consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Holsten wrote: »
    They didn't try to get any upskirt camera shots of her!

Look at the video and you'll clearly she she flashes her knickers cause she stands up and is wearing a very short skirt.

They started to film her cause she came in drunk and started asking for other peoples pizza.

Yeah just watched it she clearly says she likes one of the guys cos he gave her pizza. Its one of those videos that nobody comes of well in at all.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This is supposed to be a thread about cyber-bullying and it's effects - it looks to me as some are making it too personal towards one person, a young girl.

Can I suggest that we get back to debating what a MOD has told us to debate?

Well an unwillingness to acknowledge from the video evidence alone that the filmer was hardly an innocent victim. Why is that?

I'm guessing your referring to the fact that he caught a glimpse of her pants in the video, it looked accidental to me. Wearing a short skirt and sitting down while drunk, it can easily happen.

And what agenda?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

*sigh*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

This ^

But lets not let that get in the way of a witch hunt, eh?

I'm guessing your referring to the fact that he caught a glimpse of her pants in the video, it looked accidental to me. Wearing a short skirt and sitting down while drunk, it can easily happen.

And what agenda?
    Agenda is the wrong word sorry.

But it's clear that that glimpse of her underwear is not the issue, it's his goading behaviour. This isn't a defence of her at all, but at the same time, there's no need to pretend he's an innocent victim. It's strange to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Absolute Zero

Just another reason why alcohol should be banned and weed should be legal :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Can anyone shed some light for me on the cyber bullying side of things? I assume people have been harassing her on Facebook and Twitter. Is there something more to it? (I'm not belittling that, just want to find out if I've the whole picture) And, does anybody think that the comparisons to other high profile cyber bullying cases are way out of line? I'm unsure as to how I feel but I can't help but sense that to compare this incident to those tragedies is an insult.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Does it count as bullying if it's not directed at her? I can imagine that taunting her or trying to contact her is harassment/bullying.

But if I show that video to my friends and we all have a laugh, is it any different to me looking at all the fail vids on youtube. Or looking at any video of anyone acting like a tit when drunk. And there's plenty of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Mod

Thread is becoming very specific to one case. It this continues, we'll be locking this up.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,007 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

if you're going to get drunk off your head aged 16, and act a complete douche in public, you have to be prepared to face the consequences.

I would say 2/3 of the population of this country have got hammered when they were 16 and acted the douche as you call it, we were all idiots when we were 16 and did stupid things. We should not have to pay for it like this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Abi wrote: »
    This ^

I've done plenty of stupid things whilst drunk. Some very stupid things. But I never gave abuse to people like that.

There's a difference between silly/stupid and telling people they're ****ing plebs and losers.

Edit: Just noticed mod warning.

However as I said above, in a case like this, whatever the content, is it bullying if it's just video sharing? I would imagine directing abuse at a person in a video is bullying, but is just sharing and telling a friend "look at this it's hilarious".bullying?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Jarrod wrote: »
    Can anyone shed some light for me on the cyber bullying side of things? I assume people have been harassing her on Facebook and Twitter. Is there something more to it? (I'm not belittling that, just want to find out if I've the whole picture) And, does anybody think that the comparisons to other high profile cyber bullying cases are way out of line? I'm unsure as to how I feel but I can't help but sense that to compare this incident to those tragedies is an insult.

I've seen some things on twitter and youtube, e.g what should happen to her, what people would do to her, etc... some nasty stuff alright, I'd assume mostly posted by kids themselves.

I think she deleted her facebook and blocked her twitter account. But we don't know people could find out where she lives, her phone number and start sending threats to her.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss

I wasn't referring to the guy who posted this, I was referring to people in general who can't go out without filming people minding their own business but who cares?

'Victim' of the video? Are you serious? We don't see the guy who's filming. We don't know who he is. He got a bit of drunken abuse from a silly drunk girl and you think that makes it OK to put the video on the internet in an attempt to humiliate her? It's one thing to 'just' take a video, it's about a thousand steps further to upload said video on the WORLDWIDE WEB. The only victims here are this girl, her family and the friends shown in the video who tried in vain to stop the lads filming and pull her away. If you can't see what's wrong with what the guy did, I feel very sorry for you. Your sense of perspective is extremely warped.

She came off badly, he came off worse. He went home and posted this, when he was presumably sober, on the internet. A decent person would have ignored her and laughed it off, or at worst had a laugh over the video with their mates. She didn't physically assault him. She didn't do anything to cause him any consequences. He was annoyed about being insulted and instead of taking it on the chin, he decided to try to ruin her life. Yeah, real cool. :rolleyes:

I don't think her age is hugely significant either. It's still a scummy thing to do.

Do you think that girl wouldn't upload an embarrassing video of that guy if she had the chance?

I know where my money would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,065 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Grayson wrote: »
    Does it count as bullying if it's not directed at her? I can imagine that taunting her or trying to contact her is harassment/bullying.

But if I show that video to my friends and we all have a laugh, is it any different to me looking at all the fail vids on youtube. Or looking at any video of anyone acting like a tit when drunk. And there's plenty of them.

Watching and laughing at the video isn't bullying, but sending her and her family death threats is; and apparently that has happened already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

Abi wrote: »
    This ^

Some of the feeds coming into my facebook page are like a low self esteem riot taking place.

Serious regression of grown adults turning into 13 year olds. They's get the stakes out if they could.

It's pathetic.

I've done plenty of stupid things whilst drunk. Some very stupid things.
    There's a difference between silly/stupid and telling people they're ****ing plebs and losers.

People can be dicks with drink on them, thats universally accepted. But should you have to pay for it by having it aired world wide on the internet?

Exactly how far does it have to go before you feel someone is punished enough for it?

...There's a difference between silly/stupid and telling people they're ****ing plebs and losers.

Maybe so but because of I or your drunk actions (wherever they are), does our families and workplaces have to suffer also?

Being non-specific, such is the power of mass media now though the net alone, small things that we once maybe did years ago, are now able to be blown up into our faces.
    Sure, IF its crime of a serious nature, we (directly ourselves) might deserve some or all of it - but the rest of the stuff that is non-illegal while still irritating to say the least, should not mean that death threats are evoked and businesses of family become targets in disproportionation response.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Just the context.

So you don't have any proof and you were making a claim with no facts whatsoever to back it up with?

:rolleyes:

Biggins wrote: »
    Maybe so but because of I or your drunk actions (wherever they are), does our families and workplaces have to suffer also?
    People either fail to see this, or choose to ignore it. Cyber-bullying can effect all aspects of a persons life, all for the sake of a laugh at someone elses expense.

• Advertisement

Agenda is the wrong word sorry.

But it's clear that that glimpse of her underwear is not the issue, it's his goading behaviour. This isn't a defence of her at all, but at the same time, there's no need to pretend he's an innocent victim. It's strange to do so.

Yes I admit he's not entirely innocent but what is frustrating me is that but some people are overlooking her behaviour and branding him the villain. He's getting a lot of undeserved abuse, I don't get how people can call him a scumbag etc. just from that video. And people seem to be forgetting that he was probably drunk too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement