Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber bullying going on right now by everyone I know - MOD WARNING POST #2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Lyaiera wrote: »
    They can film you. You're in public, you have no right to privacy in a public area (something I am keenly aware of.) If you don't want to be filmed the law would need a huge overhaul, and a big opponent to that would be business with surveillance.

(Another post similar to this might show up. I thought I posted it but boards seems to be getting a bit hinky with the load it's under.)

I know they can film you. I meant they think they 'can' as in they think it's OK to do so. I have a phone that can take video like almost everyone else does. I would never in a million years think it was OK to video a situation like this. I would never in a million years film two people having a clearly private conversation. People are now so wrapped up in technology and themselves that they've completely lost all sense of what's OK to post in public and what isn't. Normal people who never chose to become celebrities are now being ridiculed on the internet - how can anyone think this is fine?

The scary thing is that this can now happen to anyone. See some scumbags harrassing someone on the Luas and decide to step in? Expect it to go viral on Youtube. Fall over on the street and end up showing your knickers? There'll be pictures online. Not just that, but someone will do a little amateur detective work and then your name, place of work, online profiles and just about everything else will all be posted online, so anyone who ever googles you will see it all. Video phones are one of the worst inventions of recent times, IMO. There are so, so many ways they are misused.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

Biggins wrote: »

So far I have reported to Youtube the presence of the video five times (5 times too on other sites).
    The original poster is clever to change the title now every time.
    He is even appealing for others to reupload it because he getting tired of trying to share it.

That person needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

shoos wrote: »
    That person needs to take a long, hard look in the mirror.

Really?

Care to elaborate?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,061 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Really?

Care to elaborate?

I think he's referring to whoever keeps uploading the video

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Really?

Care to elaborate?

I think he was talking about the youtube uploader

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

I was indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Aye upon reading back you are correct.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yep, people believing personal harassment online is ok because it's "free speech" and shouldn't be censored. Only a bully would think that.

Also, why the belief the Cork girls aren't from a privileged or middle-class background? Knowing that school, they could well be. They may not sound posh but that doesn't mean anything.

At the same time though, it's fricking definite there are people defending her despite her obnoxious behaviour and outpourings just because she's from a well off background and therefore "respectable". The same people would call her a scummy knacker if she behaved identically and was from a part of Dublin with a bad rep and she had a strong working class Dublin accent.
    I even saw someone saying it's "begrudgery" because she's well off rather than her behaving like a dick, and that person (don't think they were trolling) implying it's ok for her to go on that way, because she's well off and therefore superior. :D

The "we all did stupid things when we were young and drunk" stuff is lame too. Eh no... we didn't all yell abuse over and over and make snobbish elitist comments.

But the internet abuse is just as obnoxious and hopefully all traces of the vid will be lifted.
    It's staggering there are people demanding it be left up in order to enable bullying.... :confused:
    Oh and cyberbullying isn't a "new buzzword" :rolleyes: a few kids have killed themselves recently because of it. But I suppose it's their fault, they should have a thick skin... as opposed to the bullies, y'know, not bullying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

titan18 wrote: »
    Not that hard to find. Her name has been mentioned on Twitter. Google that, and you get a few different links, so from those, she's 16 or at a push 17

So you don't know then?

I've seen the photos and the social media, I'm open to correction but she doesn't look or sound 16 to me

• Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭Katunga

this would not be such a hot topic if all the removing and banning was not going on, that is what has blown it out of proportion because everyone now thinks its down to how much money you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Drodan

Read a lot of this thread and there's so much i don't understand, people's reactions on both side of the spectrum are genuinely scary imo.

For people to dismiss the fact that she was underage and that her parents can't watch her all the time is just plain wrong. There is no way at 16 I'd be let out in town for a nights drinking, my parents wouldn't of allowed it and I wouldn't of been able to try and swindle it through lies and deception.

She obviously shouldn't be getting abuse where people are seeking her out and jumping on a bandwagon, but let it be clear, she's not a victim here either.

What ever happened to common sense, decent morals, and the good aul "sticks and stones".

Both parties involved need a smack around the side of the head and be told to cop on and grow up.

What is so more much irritating is that this piece of non-news bs will get more attention and hysteria than actually legitimate events going on around the world, y'know sh*t that actually matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Katunga wrote: »
    this would not be such a hot topic if all the removing and banning was not going on, that is what has blown it out of proportion because everyone now thinks its down to how much money you have.

I mentioned that over on Feedback earlier. It's known as the Streisand Effect after Barbra Streisand tried to get something censored and it ended up going more viral than it ever would have otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I am appalled by some of my Facebook 'friends' who have linked to and shared this video. It IS bullying, pure and simple. The lad who recorded this uploaded it to humiliate her. Sure, her attitude sucks. Sure, she was being obnoxious. But she was drunk and obviously retaliating to something the lads had said to her. They are the real scumbags for uploading this.

What's really sh1t about this whole scenario is that it's now apparently OK to upload absolutely anything. Ten years ago, when I was starting college, there were plenty of embarrassing situations. Silly drunk fights, girls collapsing onto the pavement drunk and flashing their knickers, people getting obnoxious. But these were private moments, between the people and their friends and a few unfortunate onlookers. Part of growing up, lessons were learned, it was all forgotten about in a few days.

Now you can't go outside in public without the risk of some weirdo with no social skills thinking they can film you. It's gotten REALLY bad over the last year. I was sitting in a pub after work talking to a colleague/friend a few months ago, turned around and another colleague was filming us. How disrespectful can you get? Filming a PRIVATE conversation? I was telling my friend about personal medical stuff and this absolute d1ckhead thinks it's grand to film us with his little 'Fuzzy Hipster Movie' app or whatever it was? What is wrong with people that they have no concept of public and private anymore? It is actually terrifying.

You're just as bad, calling the uploader of the video a scumbag and a weirdo with no social skills :rolleyes: Cyber bullying right there.
    Let's not forget he just took a video and uploaded it of some drunk girl verbally abusing him, he didn't know what age she was, she doesn't look 16/17. Nothing wrong with what he did. I'd take a video if someone was shouting at me and insulting me in the hope they'd realise they're being a knob.

But she doesn't deserve this bullying and the horrible comments but I dislike the way people are defending her and attacking the victim of the video

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

nm wrote: »
    So you don't know then?

I've seen the photos and the social media, I'm open to correction but she doesn't look or sound 16 to me

Well,not for definite, but generally, you can guess an age when you see what year of school she's in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,327 ✭✭✭Madam_X

Yes, a form of bullying. She was a gowl, needed taking down a peg or two, but this is miles too far.
    You're just as bad, calling the uploader of the video a scumbag and a weirdo with no social skills :rolleyes: Cyber bullying right there.
    Let's not forget he just took a video and uploaded it of some drunk girl verbally abusing him, he didn't know what age she was, she doesn't look 16/17. Nothing wrong with what he did. I'd take a video if someone was shouting at me and insulting me in the hope they'd realise they're being a knob.

But she doesn't deserve this bullying and the horrible comments but I dislike the way people are defending her and attacking the victim of the video
    Apparently he was the one who started giving her grief. Her reaction was pathetic but it may not have been a case of her starting on him.
    I think it's bizarre to say nothing wrong with him uploading the video to the internet even if she looks over 18 (which I agree she does, but make-up can make girls look years older) - really? Nothing wrong with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Its actually much easier to google now, I think the names are climbing the result rankings or something.

Do feel bad for her now.

Also I doubt the uploaders had an idea this thing would go as viral as it has when they uploaded it first. I mean it was probably just seen as an amusing video of someone making a fool of themselves,why not upload it. But now people are talking of teenage suicides and all this stuff. Nightmare.

Madam_X wrote: »
    Apparently he was the one who started giving her grief. Her reaction was pathetic but it may not have been a case of her starting on him.
    I think it's bizarre to say nothing wrong with him uploading the video to the internet even if she looks over 18 (which I agree she does, but make-up can make girls look years older) - really? Nothing wrong with it?

Not the original uploading of it, no. I don't mind people being shamed if they act like a complete dick.

But to continue to reupload it when you know she's getting a lot of abuse, that I don't agree with, she doesn't deserve that in the slightest.

It reminds me of that video of the obnoxious woman in England who parked her car somewhere and was creating a traffic jam, she and her husband started giving the person videoing unwarranted abuse, he uploaded it but took it down when it got out of hand like this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I wonder if she would have felt sorry or felt any remorse if this hadn't gone viral.
    And I wonder if any of the people posting on her facebook/twitter page etc would feel sorry if anything happened to her.

Honestly, she was horrible so are people who are hounding her.

Not the original uploading of it, no. I don't mind people being shamed if they act like a complete dick.

But to continue to reupload it when you know she's getting a lot of abuse, that I don't agree with, she doesn't deserve that in the slightest.

It reminds me of that video of the obnoxious woman in England who parked her car somewhere and was creating a traffic jam, she and her husband started giving the person videoing unwarranted abuse, he uploaded it but took it down when it got out of hand like this one.

Once it's online, it's probably there forever.

I work for a huge website and I had a woman contact the company once because after her father died, whenever anyone searched her name or his name, an old result for a glamour photo of her came up. They'd created a memorial webpage for him, but the second result in search was her topless. It was 20 years old, pre internet even, but it was still there.

I'm wary of the fact that should I have children, they'll probably be able to look at photo's of me on facebook.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Whats the cork girls video?? Similar to KPMG. Understand if theres no linking to these vids allowed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I wasn't referring to the guy who posted this, I was referring to people in general who can't go out without filming people minding their own business but who cares?

'Victim' of the video? Are you serious? We don't see the guy who's filming. We don't know who he is. He got a bit of drunken abuse from a silly drunk girl and you think that makes it OK to put the video on the internet in an attempt to humiliate her? It's one thing to 'just' take a video, it's about a thousand steps further to upload said video on the WORLDWIDE WEB. The only victims here are this girl, her family and the friends shown in the video who tried in vain to stop the lads filming and pull her away. If you can't see what's wrong with what the guy did, I feel very sorry for you. Your sense of perspective is extremely warped.

She came off badly, he came off worse. He went home and posted this, when he was presumably sober, on the internet. A decent person would have ignored her and laughed it off, or at worst had a laugh over the video with their mates. She didn't physically assault him. She didn't do anything to cause him any consequences. He was annoyed about being insulted and instead of taking it on the chin, he decided to try to ruin her life. Yeah, real cool. :rolleyes:

I don't think her age is hugely significant either. It's still a scummy thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Cyber bullying can have its up and downs
    I mean when I get a prank call (Unknown number or a kid acting a fool)
    I leave the phone on and go back to what ever I was doing lolool ass holes credit gone wasting-He is the fool !!!!!!
    Very funny sometimes
    One day I got a prank call and it was a private number and when i picked up some one started putting farts noises so what I did was so that they would not hang up I played a youtube conversation video and put the phone near it and went to downstairs 4 minutes later he was still talking loololooool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

MarkMc wrote: »
    If its filmed in a public place. I'm unsure on the law, but even if consent is not required, the Defamation Act can come into play

how? who is defamed? kpmg? i dont understand?

I have seen people around the place saying hat the guy who uploaded the vid never released his real name.
    Here's an ironic thought. I wonder how many of the people who are defending the girl would hound the video uploader if they knew who he is?

gg2 wrote: »
    Whats the cork girls video?? Similar to KPMG. Understand if theres no linking to these vids allowed

A group of school kids in cork arranged a fight between two girls who were fighting over a guy.
    It's a far worse video then the one that's being talked about here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

Just to get a baseline, hypo here:

A 16 year old commits murder. Not manslaughter or negligent homicide but murder.

Would you feel it appropriate to imprison them for the rest of their life?

Some will say - no way, it's a kid. They could change with the right therapy. They were conditioned wrong.

Others will say - yes, the little bastard should know better at that age. Look them up, they aint gonna change.

Now this particular 16 year old said some rude and hurtful things, but no way was it criminal. Yet, some -too many- are saying that she is old enough, she's incapable of change so she deserves the "life sentence" of being branded a horrible person whose life and family should be harrassed.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bassboxxx

The league of Ireland fan didn't have his facebook profile and twitter shared so much that they had to be shut down. The League of Ireland fan's father's company wasn't bombarded with abuse because of his actions. The League of Ireland fan wasn't subjected to the same level of personal abuse that this girl has been. It is not double standards...simple

You obviously know what effect the video had on this lads life...how did he deal with it?? and his father for that matter?? How did he avoid getting his social network accounts hassled???(he definitely got abuse on youtube and here)

And who decided that having to close your social network accounts is the benchmark for acceptable becoming unacceptable?? you??

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    I wasn't referring to the guy who posted this, I was referring to people in general who can't go out without filming people minding their own business but who cares?

'Victim' of the video? Are you serious? We don't see the guy who's filming. We don't know who he is. He got a bit of drunken abuse from a silly drunk girl and you think that makes it OK to put the video on the internet in an attempt to humiliate her? It's one thing to 'just' take a video, it's about a thousand steps further to upload said video on the WORLDWIDE WEB. The only victims here are this girl, her family and the friends shown in the video who tried in vain to stop the lads filming and pull her away. If you can't see what's wrong with what the guy did, I feel very sorry for you. Your sense of perspective is extremely warped.

She came off badly, he came off worse. He went home and posted this, when he was presumably sober, on the internet. A decent person would have ignored her and laughed it off, or at worst had a laugh over the video with their mates. She didn't physically assault him. She didn't do anything to cause him any consequences. He was annoyed about being insulted and instead of taking it on the chin, he decided to try to ruin her life. Yeah, real cool. :rolleyes:

I don't think her age is hugely significant either. It's still a scummy thing to do.

She is a victim of her own actions. I've said before, she doesn't deserve the abuse she's getting but if she hadn't acted like a knob this wouldn't have happended. I've been very drunk recently and in the past but I have yet to start insulting strangers.

And for some reason you're ignoring the fact he's the the victim in the video, she was humiliating him in a public place. All we know is this guy was sitting eating a pizza after a night out and he starts getting shouted and insulted by some girl. You can suppose all you like as to what happened before the video started, we don't know.

Oh right, so as long you are not physically assaulted you think being insulted in public should just be taken on the chin, laughed off?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

What happens with alcohol use in such a public manner, at a certain age?

I presume there's copious legislation, does it open the parents to being liable in some way, or does it rest with the outlet\establishment supplying the alcohol?

Would social services make it their business to get involved?

If the same event happened in some of the more prudish states, in the US, the parents would be in very hot water as a result.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,061 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Amalgam wrote: »
    What happens with alcohol use in such a public manner, at a certain age?

I presume there's copious legislation, does it open the parents to being liable in some way, or does it rest with the outlet\establishment supplying the alcohol?

Would social services make it their business to get involved?

If the same event happened in some of the more prudish states, in the US, the parents would be in very hot water as a result.

There's no law against underage drinking.. just selling it to underage people, and for all anyone knows she was at a house party drinking booze (with her parents permission) that someone else had purchased.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement