Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber bullying going on right now by everyone I know - MOD WARNING POST #2

Options
2456789

Comments

  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Gauss


    Higher wrote: »

    hmm lets see...
    • Scobie had been assaulting people all day with an umbrella
    • A guy responded in self-defence and the scobie got a beating
    • Scobie cannot be identified, he received his punishment and that was that.
    Now the girl video
    • Did not commit any crime, in fact she was the one provoked by the lads filming
    • The lads filming try on two occassions to get a camera shot up her skirt
    • She goes on a rant that could ruin her career prospects because she is provoked and drunk
    • She is easily identified, she receives a number of death threats
    • Her family including her sister and father also receive a torrent of abuse.
    Can you see any difference?

    You say its being censored by boards.ie because shes rich but its a clear case of bullying and lets be honest, the only reason you're opposing its censorship is because she is rich and you don't like that.

    She did a fair bit of bullying herself in that video. She also seemed to take some pleasure in do so. She's certainly no angel however and seems like a nasty person but no one deserves death threats and abuse without commuting a crime.

    On a separate note what do people think Larry Murphy has been bullied in recent months. He is currently a free man who has received awful abuse and stalking by tv stations? ( don't assume I'll be shedding years over this).


    But it highlights the fact that as a society we we view some people as fair game to bully and others not fair game.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 495 ✭✭bootybouncer


    Higher wrote: »
    I'm like a broken record at this stage buuuuuuttt...


    People need to actually look at the background of the video. She came into Rays Pizza shoeless and eating scraps of pizza off the table. She was clearly provoked by the guys filming and gave the OTT reaction. My reading is the lads themselves alleged she was poor because of her shoeless state (would explain her 'you cant afford shoes' comment. She then responded saying she was rich, her dad is partner KPMG etc. to shut them up. It was the sort of mad rant that I used to see people who were bullied in school go on when the abuse got too much.

    Also the lads filming try to get camera shots up her skirt, which is disgusting to be honest.

    Bullying perverts IMO.


    Well put champ.....................deck shoe wearing bullies id imagine


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos


    The internet can hold people to account in ways that we never thought it could before I guess. Hopefully she's learned from her mistake. It also raises the typical questions about how such snobbery arises in an individual, and how toxic materialistic attitudes to the world really are.


  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji


    T-K-O wrote: »
    The person in question should disable their social media accounts, dont read that ****, simples.
    Should her family and friends also do the same? Seems a little unfair, doesn't it?


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody


    I'm kinda sitting here thinking that such a girl would be fairly nasty herself if the boot was on the other foot and I was 16... Nevertheless, there's no justification for what the people who uploaded.the video did. Someday the many people who responded to the video will have kids of their own who will likely do things they regret. Would they be happier raising them in a society where this type of behaviour is commonplace? Its worrying how underdeveloped a lot of these people are proving to be... In saying that, I got great entertainment from reading about it as 'one of those unfortunate things'.


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal


    Biggins wrote: »
    There is a huge diffrence between me going out getting drunk, making an ass of myself on video - opposite someone talking (joking) about a very serious crime.

    * One is of a personal nature and would the first person not ever to say other daft things when drunk, please stand up!

    * The other relates to possible evidence of a very serious crime.

    ...And you should note that there is no videos posted on boards.ie now of either of the above.
    Biggins wrote: »
    No.
    (and I have not said that it is, thank you.)

    As far as I can see the second example(that you feel is OK?) is people taking the law into their own hands and going after the perpetrators of an alleged crime(whatever). Now every State had a Judicial System in place, so who are we to go after these people? In my opinion that's harassment and bullying(regardless of whether it's right or wrong or we can justify it).

    Maybe you can explain the difference to me better.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 683 ✭✭✭starlings


    With any kind of bullying there seems to be an equal and opposite bullying reaction - there's an awful whiff of sanctimony and vindictiveness to the "anti-bullies" who want to punish the bullies with a disproportionate zeal that ruins their case.

    The KPMG girl video shows two obnoxious parties baiting each other to a point where the question of who started it is irrelevant. The recording and uploading were undeniably crass, but there is no glory in the silencing and screeching about it either.

    It's hard, really hard, but the best way to combat bullying is to build yourself up so it doesn't hurt anymore. "The trick, William Potter, is not minding that it hurts."


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O


    humanji wrote: »
    Should her family and friends also do the same? Seems a little unfair, doesn't it?

    So what, Lock down the internet because someone makes a fool of them-self.

    To answer the question, Yes if you do not want that connection with random people shut it down.

    It's times like this people realise how much info they post online. The world is not your friend.

    Some of the behaviour on these media sites is sickening but too many of us open the door and invite them in


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera


    MarkMc wrote: »
    In the short time between these two videos, a lot has changed. The whole issue of cyber bullying has been brought to the foreground.

    Also, the video of the cork girls did not result in the receiving death threats

    How do you know?


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins


    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    As far as I can see the second example(that you feel is OK?) is people taking the law into their own hands and going after the perpetrators of an alleged crime(whatever). Now every State had a Judicial System in place, so who are we to go after these people? In my opinion that's harassment and bullying(regardless of whether it's right or wrong or we can justify it).

    Maybe you can explain the difference to me better.

    The exposure of the USA case was done because the local sheriff and other appeared to act very suspiciously (to say the least).

    But as regards that video - I would say that first because the person made it themselves and thus he wanted it to be viewed, there is a difference.
    Secondly, the maker of the video is now considered a material witness and now has been questioned by the authorities by its very content.
    The content has become evidence additionally to a crime.

    If a person makes such a video themselves and then sends it out to one or many, and it relates to a crime, they are at least paying a consequence of their own making/actions.

    The case regarding an Irish girl recorded I would argue is much different - however the above is my own opinion and I understand yours and where its coming from.


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125


    philologos wrote: »
    The internet can hold people to account in ways that we never thought it could before I guess. Hopefully she's learned from her mistake. It also raises the typical questions about how such snobbery arises in an individual, and how toxic materialistic attitudes to the world really are.

    It works both ways, if people accuse you of being snobby and ridicule you, eventually you'll defend yourself and not be embarrassed that their well off, I'm not saying that it's what happened here but it's very common.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson


    Lyaiera wrote: »

    How do you know?

    Ok, let me rephrase, there wasnt the huge amount of public abuse and threats that there is in this case. For the record, I didnt particularly like the cork thread either.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To


    The older I get, the more I believe that free speech should be a privilege, not a right.


  • Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal


    Gauss wrote: »
    On a separate note what do people think Larry Murphy has been bullied in recent months. He is currently a free man who has received awful abuse and stalking by tv stations? ( don't assume I'll be shedding years over this).


    That's a good question. And the way the term "bullied" is being misused(IMO) these days one could argue that he is, especially if you were to treat all cases of "bullying" as equal. The fact of the matter is no, he's not being bullied. He is being admonished for his behaviour(IMO), and rightly so. But were do you draw the line?
    Biggins wrote: »
    The exposure of the USA case was done because the local sheriff and other appeared to act very suspiciously (to say the least).

    But as regards that video - I would say that first because the person made it themselves and thus he wanted it to be viewed, there is a difference.
    Secondly, the maker of the video is now considered a material witness and now has been questioned by the authorities by its very content.
    The content has become evidence additionally to a crime.

    If a person makes such a video themselves and then sends it out to one or many, and it relates to a crime, they are at least paying a consequence of their own making/actions.

    The case regarding an Irish girl recorded I would argue is much different - however the above is my own opinion and I understand yours and where its coming from.

    That guy was videoed when he was intoxicated, how can an intoxicated person give consent to anything? (not having a go at you, Biggins, just playing devils advocate)


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera


    MarkMc wrote: »
    Ok, let me rephrase, there wasnt the huge amount of public abuse and threats that there is in this case. For the record, I didnt particularly like the cork thread either.

    So you don't care that thoroughly embarrassing videos that could have serious implications for someone's personal and professional life are being made public. You care about people appearing to be sympathetic.


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O


    Where To wrote: »
    The older I get, the more I believe that free speech should be a privilege, not a right.

    Not sure where you live but Iraq may suit your needs


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson


    Where To wrote: »
    The older I get, the more I believe that free speech should be a privilege, not a right.

    In certain arenas maybe. I really hate when people talk about free speech etc on here. Folks, its a PRIVATE website, you do not have any!! I'm gonna keep on trotting that out until it sticks. Hmmm, maybe I should put it in my sig


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos


    It works both ways, if people accuse you of being snobby and ridicule you, eventually you'll defend yourself and not be embarrassed that their well off, I'm not saying that it's what happened here but it's very common.

    I don't think that's what was happening. It was snobbery pure and simple. My daddy works for KPMG and he's so important and your worth in life depends on how much you earn, you must be earning very little, ergo you're a loser.

    Something somewhere caused that toxic attitude to get into her mind. Whether that is something that was taught in society, or if that was taught at home, or if she was influenced by her parents in that respect. Something's deeply wrong with that type of philosophy, we need to start challenging it more.

    Having a robust system of values is hugely important, and I wonder if we've lost something somewhere along the way.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin


    I know she said some stupid obnoxious things. Who hasn't done stupid things when they're drunk?

    No one deserves the previous nights sins splattered across the Internet. Silly silly stupid girl, but I feel really sorry for her.

    There but for the grace of god go I, or my little sister, or my friend. Etc.


  • Registered Users Posts: 11,951 ✭✭✭✭titan18


    Biggins wrote: »
    The exposure of the USA case was done because the local sheriff and other appeared to act very suspiciously (to say the least).

    But as regards that video - I would say that first because the person made it themselves and thus he wanted it to be viewed, there is a difference.
    Secondly, the maker of the video is now considered a material witness and now has been questioned by the authorities by its very content.
    The content has become evidence additionally to a crime.

    If a person makes such a video themselves and then sends it out to one or many, and it relates to a crime, they are at least paying a consequence of their own making/actions.

    The case regarding an Irish girl recorded I would argue is much different - however the above is my own opinion and I understand yours and where its coming from.

    Fwiw, whilst I didn't watch that video fully, only watched the start and skipped through to the end, it's not clear that he's making the video himself imo. It's more likely they're all really drunk, talking crap and someone took out a phone to record the guy.

    Also, like FR_Dougal, I'm also playing devil's advocate. I fully agree with anything Nodianos gets as a result of that video

    I just don't think boards.ie can treat everything on a case-by-case basis as I presume they're doing, as it just ends up getting people pissed off in situations like this, thinking boards are doing it for legal reasons, or as she's rich. It's all or nothing imo


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos


    amdublin wrote: »
    I know she said some stupid obnoxious things. Who hasn't done stupid things when they're drunk?

    No one deserves the previous nights sins splattered across the Internet. Silly silly stupid girl, but I feel really sorry for her.

    There but for the grace of god go I, or my little sister, or my friend. Etc.

    We all screw up for sure. However, I think we have a responsibility to ensure that our drinking doesn't negatively or adversely affect another person, or other people in the process.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod


    Haven't seen it. Sure there's more like it. Youtube seems to have taken it down now.

    On the free speech vs bullying thing, I'm in two minds. If we go down the lines of censoring stuff then some small group of idiots will be making their idiotic minds up about what you can or cannot watch.

    Lets remember idiots are commonly bullies and less commonly censors.

    Seems we need idiot filters on the www.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins


    Gauss wrote: »
    ...On a separate note what do people think Larry Murphy has been bullied in recent months. He is currently a free man who has received awful abuse and stalking by tv stations? ( don't assume I'll be shedding years over this).

    But it highlights the fact that as a society we we view some people as fair game to bully and others not fair game.

    You might say (and MAYBE right in some cases) that its a "fair game" example.

    I would debate that the likes of Murphy is being judged critically based upon his state crimes.

    ...Whereas any other video alone (with no crime convictions even attached to it or hints at any ones to come) cone into the further area of possible bullying/intimidation category.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera


    philologos wrote: »
    I don't think that's what was happening. It was snobbery pure and simple. My daddy works for KPMG and he's so important and your worth in life depends on how much you earn, you must be earning very little, ergo you're a loser.

    Something somewhere caused that toxic attitude to get into her mind. Whether that is something that was taught in society, or if that was taught at home, or if she was influenced by her parents in that respect. Something's deeply wrong with that type of philosophy, we need to start challenging it more.

    Having a robust system of values is hugely important, and I wonder if we've lost something somewhere along the way.

    We've never had it to be honest. Society thought out history has been awful. Through both economic systems espousing morality (a hierarchical economy and a capitalistic economy,) with religions declaring they held morality, and with cultural singularities and multi-culturalism.


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin


    philologos wrote: »
    I don't think that's what was happening. It was snobbery pure and simple. My daddy works for KPMG and he's so important and your worth in life depends on how much you earn, you must be earning very little, ergo you're a loser.

    Something somewhere caused that toxic attitude to get into her mind. Whether that is something that was taught in society, or if that was taught at home, or if she was influenced by her parents in that respect. Something's deeply wrong with that type of philosophy, we need to start challenging it more.

    Having a robust system of values is hugely important, and I wonder if we've lost something somewhere along the way.

    Absolutely.
    She could learn from this:
    http://imgur.com/gallery/Z1758

    However, I still don't believe she deserved her sins of the night before splattered across the Internet.

    Whoever filmed and posted should be equally as ashamed of themselves as I am sure she is now.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson


    philologos wrote: »

    We all screw up for sure. However, I think we have a responsibility to ensure that our drinking doesn't negatively or adversely affect another person, or other people in the process.

    Did your 16 year old self feel the same? I know I did stupid things at that age, without thinking of the consequences


  • Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭Baneblade


    i thought it was completely ott too. just 2 groups of drunking kids mouthing off to each other. could have been any take out, any night of the week.

    if anything most of the uproar should have been over the guys and their attitude. the girl was just doing a half assed drunken defense, i was thinking i would not be suprised if her dad was just a cleaner in kpmg as people tend to exagerate a bit after a few drinks.

    if there was no phone involved you just know she whould be saying "what the **** did i say late night" the next day and who has not been in that position?


  • Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O


    philologos wrote: »
    I don't think that's what was happening. It was snobbery pure and simple. My daddy works for KPMG and he's so important and your worth in life depends on how much you earn, you must be earning very little, ergo you're a loser.

    Something somewhere caused that toxic attitude to get into her mind. Whether that is something that was taught in society, or if that was taught at home, or if she was influenced by her parents in that respect. Something's deeply wrong with that type of philosophy, we need to start challenging it more.

    Having a robust system of values is hugely important, and I wonder if we've lost something somewhere along the way.

    THIS.

    A pet hate of mine is when people blame the booze.

    Anyway, to reference a persons wealth in such a way is akin to the good old.... yor ma


  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 20,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭amdublin


    philologos wrote: »
    We all screw up for sure. However, I think we have a responsibility to ensure that our drinking doesn't negatively or adversely affect another person, or other people in the process.

    I completely agree with you.

    And I reckon she's now learnt that (the hard way), poor silly girl.


  • Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins


    Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    That guy was videoed when he was intoxicated, how can an intoxicated person give consent to anything? (not having a go at you, Biggins, just playing devils advocate)

    He willingly (consent?) sat in from of the recording device - he sure didn't get up which he could have done at any stage. Maybe he switched it on himself? (further consent?)
    Jarred or not - at least his recording was made under his own 'steam' and not just recorded by an independent third party that is solely using it to harass and intimidate.

    (Like your goodself, just playing devils advocate) :)


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement