Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyber bullying going on right now by everyone I know - MOD WARNING POST #2

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

BidillyBo wrote: »
    I do believe shes the one who brought up her social status, several times.
    She's a 16 year old girl, she probably doesn't even know what her Dad actually does or earns, she was just mouthing off. We've all mouthed off some time or another, people do. I've a 16 year old neice, pretty much the same as this girl. If this was my neice, I'd be one sore bunny, and not the only sore bunny either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

anncoates wrote: »
    I abhor all the harrassment of the girl that is going on and the people that posted the video are despicable imo but 're: some of the excuses about her age and whatnot. Is everybody here claiming they made comments like that as a teenager, even when pissed?

Maybe some have and maybe some haven't. Maybe some on here were teenage alcoholics but are now sober teetotaling adults. Maybe some were child stars who made millions but are now financially bankrupt adults living on the street. The point is that she is a teen, and I am assuming that we are passed our teens, so we should realize that people do grow and evolve through their teens, twenties, thirties, and so on.

People are presuming that because she felt that way before, she would have always felt that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭HabeasCorpus

BidillyBo wrote: »
    I do believe shes the one who brought up her social status, several times.

She was under the influence and ranting. Time for her 'friends' to bring her home and stop the show.

Are you honestly telling me you never, ever became repetitious after a few drinks? TBH I don't drink now at all, I hate the BS drinking people go on with and I'd hate to be seen like that.

However, I am sure me and my friends' natural (when sober) feisty personalities with a few good old Snake bites (was it a half Harp and half Bulmers) in us, were insufferable when I was 18. Again, thank God there were no camera phones around then. All people have to face from years ago are the half drunk hazy memories of a handfull of others present. This video will be around in glorious technicolour to show that girl's children, grand children, prospective employers, future boyfriends. Sick. I'm sure her father's career won't be such a cause of bragging from now on either. She has more than paid her dues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

I give boards.ie free content and it gets revenue from the ad clicks from the traffic my content generates.

The users of boards.ie don't owe the site anything.
    If the possibility of legal action was behind the thread being taken down (obviously this is only speculation) then I don't see what choice they would have.

If Boards felt that there was a reasonable case then they were absolutely right to act. If they were worried about the possible cost of a legal action then I don't see what choice they would have. Who's going to pay their legal bills?

It might be unfair or even a double standard, but then this is just a discussion website, not a campaigning organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Pottler wrote: »
    Ahh, stop. Will ya. If I think back to all the dumb things me and my friends did at 16, thanks be to god there were no cameras. At 16 you are young, silly and loud, which is great, you're young.

It is nasty, vindictive and bullying what is happening to this girl, I feel really sorry for her and I can imagine the great old snigger the lads who filmed it were having at the time.

In the old days, you made a show of yourself, ten people saw it and twenty heard about it. In a week it was forgotten. Now, the world hears, sees and joins in the "laughter".

Some pressure to be laying onto kids who are unfortunate enough to get filmed like this. Really, utterly crap way to be going on posting up stuff like this video, I wouldn't do it, I'd be too wary of ruining someones life, and I'd be too much of a human being to do it to anyone.

I'm not denying for a minute I did dumb things when I was 16. Did I then, or have I ever tried to reduce someone's worth to what wage they earn? No. Was I out in town drunk? No. Did I have social media pages? No. Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning the abuse she's getting, nor would I even think of filming someone's drunken ramblings never mind upload them to the internet. But I suppose my point was, if it wasn't for the abuse she's getting what would people's opinion be? To sum up my thoughts, her attitude in the video is horrible. The abuse (which I haven't seen but I'm not denying has occurred) is also horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

actions have consequences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭HabeasCorpus

Jarrod wrote: »
    I'm not denying for a minute I did dumb things when I was 16. Did I then, or have I ever tried to reduce someone's worth to what wage they earn? No. Was I out in town drunk? No. Did I have social media pages? No. Don't get me wrong I'm not condoning the abuse she's getting, nor would I even think of filming someone's drunken ramblings never mind upload them to the internet. But I suppose my point was, if it wasn't for the abuse she's getting what would people's opinion be? To sum up my thoughts, her attitude in the video is horrible. The abuse (which I haven't seen but I'm not denying has occurred) is also horrible.

What would people's opinions be would probably be: This is a mouthy silly kid who is plastered in makeup and out drinking instead of at home, studying, on a sleepover, minding little kittens. There is an aspect of adult supervision really at stake here. Last time I checked, it wasn't legal for 16 year olds to be drinking, and no-one is encouraged to be drunk and disorderly. This is an excellent demonstration of why these rules are in place. Her parents are responsible really.

You probably one way or another didn't have the Option of going out, were you ALLOWED out drinking at 16, or was there even FB available then? Anyway, let's assume at 16 you lived a blameless life, have you never, ever uttered things you wish you never said? Maybe with only one person present, maybe even slightly abusive in SOME way? It only takes one time, and someone with a camera phone....

Let he who is innocent cast the first stone. And I've not a stone to throw.

You need to get out more if you think that is the way horrible people go on. A "horrible" person would have glassed those lads and they could have filmed that. I've seen loads of horrible people do that.

This is a teenage girl gobbing back at some lads who are slagging her, that's not horrible, that's just being a teenager. People say a lot of stuff when they are being teased to try and defend themselves, moreso if they have had a few drinks. Good for her if her Dad has a few bob. WTF is the hatred for people who have done well?:confused: Is it a crime now?

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭shoos

The amount of people acting as if at age 16 they were saints, cop on to yourselves. How anyone can suggest she deserves this is beyond me, it's sick what people are saying and doing. Particularly unbelievable considering Erin Gallagher's death was only a few months ago, nevermind Pheobe Princes', Amanda Todd's etc....

One particular aspect of it I've found despicable is the overt widespread misogyny you see in comments about the video.

I'm not 100% certain on the rules with what I can and can't say so I'll play it safe and not quote, but it actually deeply upset me reading so many comments relating to her gender which was more derogatory, disgusting and hugely offensive as a woman. I think its the worst I've ever come across online (except of course some Reddit subgroups which have to get a special mention for going beyond the call of duty to intimidate and harass women).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

You need to get out more if you think that is the way horrible people go on. A "horrible" person would have glassed those lads and they could have filmed that. I've seen loads of horrible people do that.

This is a teenage girl gobbing back at some lads who are slagging her, that's not horrible, that's just being a teenager. People say a lot of stuff when they are being teased to try and defend themselves, moreso if they have had a few drinks. Good for her if her Dad has a few bob. WTF is the hatred for people who have done well?:confused: Is it a crime now?

Teenagers give a lot of cheek and like the sound of their own voice, not to be confused with looking down your nose at a person. That is a horrible act.

Teenagers, hell even some kids can be horrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

dvpower wrote: »
    If the possibility of legal action was behind the thread being taken down (obviously this is only speculation) then I don't see what choice they would have.

If Boards felt that there was a reasonable case then they were absolutely right to act. If they were worried about the possible cost of a legal action then I don't see what choice they would have. Who's going to pay their legal bills?

It might be unfair or even a double standard, but then this is just a discussion website, not a campaigning organisation.

You were suggesting that the users pay though - which I find odd considering that it is the users that are the product.

Boards can close down what ever discussion it sees fit to shut down. What I object to is lying to the users that the decision was some sort of ethics or morality when it was nothing of the sort.

It was boards.ie looking out for itself which there is nothing wrong with that of course. It shouldn't feed its users a bullshit line about its motives though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

How does everyone know shes 16? Is this a fact or just something rumoured and then repeated as fact?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

Some of these comments remind me of the things people say when a young woman is raped. People immediately ask if she was wearing provocative clothing, or if she was walking alone on a dark street, as if either thing caused her to be raped and assaulted by someone. People are blaming the victim, and what is most egregious about it is that their own comments will remain as long as they are cached.

I believe many of the posters are using this girl as a scapegoat for voicing their feelings of impotence, hatred, ignorance, or disgust at the devastation of the banking industry. They are projecting their vitriolic comments towards this girl because she is easy to access. They can't get to her father's company, but they can get to her.

Every single one of us had an embarrassing moment in high school. Maybe you're the boy who got shot down by the pretty girl in front of your friends, or you're the girl whose mother/father shamed you in front of your rivals. Twenty years ago, these instances would have been just been the subject of exaggerated stories passed around to your classmates, but in a few years time, only the spiteful individuals remembered the gist of the event. Today, these kids are still experiencing the same embarrassing moments during their maturation process, but instead of being private shame, people record it and broadcast it all over the internet for the viewing pleasure of the whole school, township/city, state/county, country, and the world.

So you object to the nature and tone of her comments? Suck it up and move the **** on. She's a child and one day, she may have matured and recognized how right or wrong she was in this situation; but now the country has stepped in and has permanently ruined the natural maturation process.

Ok I haven;t watched the video but it sounds like the girl typifies the a certain highly privileged but pretty disliked outside their areas social type, though its definitely got less aspirational the dislike/mockery isn;t a recession related thing read a bit of Ross O'Carrol Kelly to get an idea of it. I presume this would explain the anger on the internet a place still dominated by young males (often 3rd level educated) exactly the sort of people to have had negative experiences with this type of girl. (sorry for all the stereotyping my views have mellowed as i got older!)

Hatred for people who have done well? I've none. Having seen the video it's hard to argue that her dad has done well. Also, as the bit you've bolded points out, I find her attitude horrible. Believe me, I've seen what drunken, violent people can do to each other but it's not the measure I use for all of society, thankfully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Here's Dav's response from the other thread (I hope he or the mods don't mind me cross posting it), hopefully it will clarify things for a few people

Dav wrote: »
    OK, lets call a halt to some of the more extreme theories being thrown around here.

I will list for you the order of events that occurred in the office that lead to us snipping threads and links to the video yesterday.

People were talking about this "drunk KPMG girl video" in the office, I asked what they were talking about and someone (I think it was Nicola) sent me a link.

I watched it in dismay remembering back to when I was a hotel worker during the Celtic Tiger earning minimum wage and remembering the huge number of entitled brats like this that I dealt with on a regular basis (Trinity College Engineering ball, I'm looking at you in particular - you kids were a proper pain in the arse). I thought to myself "this is going to be more hassle than it's worth and will be this year's 'Guy dodging a taxi fare' event as Daddy will have serious need to act because it impacts on his reputation as well as his brat daughter's future."

After some discussion (where I initially argued that we shouldn't pull the thread), Gordon pointed out that I got dragged into that taxi dodging thing for about 2 weeks as I was dealing with their solicitors, and that was without us even being named on the injunction (but we were served with a copy of it). Nicola reminded me of the "damage to reputation" argument of the Defamation Act which could well come into play. I'm not prepared to waste 2 weeks of the company's time on what amounts to a stupid underage drunk girl's rant when there is nothing more that needs saying on the issue.

So we pulled it for these reasons:
    • She's underage.
    • She did not consent to have this video posted.
    • She will already be a target of all sorts of bile and vitriol from all over the net.
    • The Defamation act (the comments we'd already seen on the threads were way out of order).
    • The video was being pulled from YouTube, suggesting they were already dealing with it.
    • Neither I, nor my boss (Gordon) want to have to spend weeks tied up in a legal mess dealing with the fallout of the entire thing.
    Here are some reasons we DID NOT pull the thread:
    • KPMG are the Distilled Auditors.
    • Daddy's Rich.
    • Censorship of issues affecting those of a better socio-economic situation than others.
    We try really hard to have better standards than other parts of the internet. We don't think the internet should be the wild west and that people should be able to discuss whatever it is they want without the fear of being hopped on for having a contrary opinion or belief. We don't think it's acceptable for people to be personally abused and if you don't think you can engage in a conversation without resorting to that, we don't want you here.

We don't always get this right and I'm not trying to suggest that we do.

There've been several mentions of other videos that have been left up that are essentially the same thing - people being caught on camera and being shown to be total idiots or in compromising positions etc. The simple truth is that if we'd known about them, we'd more than likely have taken the same action. This particular video happened to be a topic of discussion in the office and so we pre-empted what we were reasonably certain was going to be a big chunk of our time. There is simply no way that we can monitor even 10% of what gets posted on the site every day - that's why we have the Report Post function for the Community to exercise it's will and say "We don't think this belongs here" (and in this instance, they did) backed up by the Moderators, Cat Mods and Admins who give up their time to keep this site running and make the decisions that best help the site overall.

We have a pile of legal issues that hit us all the time. People who've been on telly threaten us, the people from some car seller's once threatened to come to our office with a shotgun, people who we site ban for being trolls threaten us, some eejit who bought something from Adverts (which is a separate company from Boards.ie) even brought us to the small claims court and didn't bother showing up for the case. This is what the office spends its time dealing with. These are the fights we have to take on so that our members have the right to discussion of the day's news and events, but too many of you are so quick to jump on us when we're doing what we have to do to keep this site in operation. Unless you're prepared to put your name and address on file with us so that we can hand them over to someone who wants to sue over your comments, then we have to take things down when they're reported. We don't want to run a site that requires that sort of information to be a member - all you ever have to give us is an email address and we're happy with that.

We can't afford to go to the High Court - not even if we win. It would cost us too much money - money we don't have (where this myth that we're rich comes from is beyond me, the company ran at a loss last year). So the choices we have are be sometimes cautious and keep the site open or take a stand and face closing the site down.

So if you're disappointed that you can't discuss this particular issue, I'm sorry, but the bigger picture at play is that there's a whole site here with hundreds of various communities who are just as important to this site as any other and who have no interest in that issue. Leaving the sort of discussion we saw developing on it up on the site puts all of them them in jeopardy and we're not prepared to let that happen.

Thank you all for your time and I hope your understanding.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,933 ✭✭✭✭titan18

nm wrote: »
    How does everyone know shes 16? Is this a fact or just something rumoured and then repeated as fact?

Not that hard to find. Her name has been mentioned on Twitter. Google that, and you get a few different links, so from those, she's 16 or at a push 17

What would people's opinions be would probably be: This is a mouthy silly kid who is plastered in makeup and out drinking instead of at home, studying, on a sleepover, minding little kittens. There is an aspect of adult supervision really at stake here. Last time I checked, it wasn't legal for 16 year olds to be drinking, and no-one is encouraged to be drunk and disorderly. This is an excellent demonstration of why these rules are in place. Her parents are responsible really.

You probably one way or another didn't have the Option of going out, were you ALLOWED out drinking at 16, or was there even FB available then? Anyway, let's assume at 16 you lived a blameless life, have you never, ever uttered things you wish you never said? Maybe with only one person present, maybe even slightly abusive in SOME way? It only takes one time, and someone with a camera phone....

Let he who is innocent cast the first stone. And I've not a stone to throw.

I was allowed out at 16 (not until what I'm assuming was closing time), drink was available had I wanted it and Facebook was very much available but I'd no interest. I can honestly say that anything anyone has or could have recorded me saying wouldn't go viral. I've probably made an off colour joke or two (whilst drunk and sober) that I wouldn't want the world to hear but it wouldn't bother me if someone put it on youtube or facebook. I've never gone on an elitist rant at strangers in a fast food restaurant, drunk or sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I am appalled by some of my Facebook 'friends' who have linked to and shared this video. It IS bullying, pure and simple. The lad who recorded this uploaded it to humiliate her. Sure, her attitude sucks. Sure, she was being obnoxious. But she was drunk and obviously retaliating to something the lads had said to her. They are the real scumbags for uploading this.

What's really sh1t about this whole scenario is that it's now apparently OK to upload absolutely anything. Ten years ago, when I was starting college, there were plenty of embarrassing situations. Silly drunk fights, girls collapsing onto the pavement drunk and flashing their knickers, people getting obnoxious. But these were private moments, between the people and their friends and a few unfortunate onlookers. Part of growing up, lessons were learned, it was all forgotten about in a few days.

Now you can't go outside in public without the risk of some weirdo with no social skills thinking they can film you. It's gotten REALLY bad over the last year. I was sitting in a pub after work talking to a colleague/friend a few months ago, turned around and another colleague was filming us. How disrespectful can you get? Filming a PRIVATE conversation? I was telling my friend about personal medical stuff and this absolute d1ckhead thinks it's grand to film us with his little 'Fuzzy Hipster Movie' app or whatever it was? What is wrong with people that they have no concept of public and private anymore? It is actually terrifying.

You were suggesting that the users pay though - which I find odd considering that it is the users that are the product.
    I wasn't really. That was kinda rhetorical.
    Boards can close down what ever discussion it sees fit to shut down. What I object to is lying to the users that the decision was some sort of ethics or morality when it was nothing of the sort.

It was boards.ie looking out for itself which there is nothing wrong with that of course. It shouldn't feed its users a bullshit line about its motives though.
    I didn't see the 'official' reasoning until some recent posts by a CMod and by Dav on the feedback thread.
    I thought it was fairly reasonable.

The website is structured and operated in a way that insulates itself from actions in Ireland.
    You should tell this to the owners of the site. They have an opposite impression.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

nm wrote: »

Google her name and you'll find she is mentioned on the website of a girls school as being in 4th year.

I was allowed out at 16 (not until what I'm assuming was closing time), drink was available had I wanted it and Facebook was very much available but I'd no interest. I can honestly say that anything anyone has or could have recorded me saying wouldn't go viral. I've probably made an off colour joke or two (whilst drunk and sober) that I wouldn't want the world to hear but it wouldn't bother me if someone put it on youtube or facebook. I've never gone on an elitist rant at strangers in a fast food restaurant, drunk or sober.
    Well done. Your medal is in the post. Oddly enough, that video wasn't of you, no-one is threatening you and you are not currently locked in a dark room going "OMG OMG OMG". I'd be willing to bet someone else is though, and I feel sorry for her. If that's ok by you? Enjoy the medal, post up some pics of you wearing it etc etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    But she was drunk and obviously retaliating to something the lads had said to her.

Proof?

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Proof?
    Yeah, someone should post up a video or somthing so people can judge for themselves.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭gg2

Don't have time to read this entire thread so just throwing in my 2 cents.... Seen the video yesterday on facebook before i realised there was any big fuss about it.
    Its absolutely sickening the abuse this girl has received and I'd imagine this is a very difficult time for her and her family.... It never fails to amaze me the the amount of absolute creeps out there who are willing to try and pull this girls world apart over what she has (very foolishly) done.
    However I will say how sickened I was by what she said - drunk or not - "€10 an hour?" In this day and age that is just so so wrong. These thoughts are in a person, drunk or not.
    What I do what to know is how/ why the video keeps being pulled from youtube? Not that I'm advocating the video bring available but there is another vid on youtube of 2 girls in an extremely vulnerable position taken by a group of guys taking the absolute piss out of them. To me it looked like they could very easily have died. Oh and the guards are also standing by watching, not trying to move the guys on, stop them filming, or help the girls. It would break your heart. Who is getting the KPMG video pulled off youtube?

Well done. Your medal is in the post. Oddly enough, that video wasn't of you, no-one is threatening you and you are not currently locked in a dark room going "OMG OMG OMG". I'd be willing to bet someone else is though, and I feel sorry for her. If that's ok by you? Enjoy the medal, post up some pics of you wearing it etc etc..

This girl went on a ridiculous rant telling some stranger that he's a loser based on how much money he earns or will ever earn. I've a problem with that sort of attitude, drunk or sober. I didn't realise that was unreasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Isolt

Poor girl. People are disgusting.

I hope there are some consequences at least for the lads trying to film up her skirt. Filthy, rotten pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Proof?

Just the context. She was very defensive. That's not really the point, though, is it? She could have walked in and started shouting at them out of nowhere. Posting a video on the internet is still unforgivable, IMO.

South Dublin is chock full of people like her, spoiled brats who think they're special because Daddy has some money. Nothing new here. Drink makes people more obnoxious than usual. Nothing new here either. I don't think being a bit of a spanner means that you deserve to be publicly ridiculed on an international scale and have your name, school and other personal details plastered over Twitter. Why couldn't the lads have just had a private laugh about it later? How can they possibly think it isn't bullying to post a video of someone clearly very drunk in the hope that it goes viral, which it did? Nasty, nasty, nasty people. Far nastier than being a jumped up snob.

And I really, really, really hate D4 girls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Hippies!

gg2 wrote: »
    Who is getting the KPMG video pulled off youtube?

This guy
    Biggins wrote: »
    So far I have reported to Youtube the presence of the video five times (5 times too on other sites).
    The original poster is clever to change the title now every time.
    He is even appealing for others to reupload it because he getting tired of trying to share it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    Now you can't go outside in public without the risk of some weirdo with no social skills thinking they can film you.

They can film you. You're in public, you have no right to privacy in a public area (something I am keenly aware of.) If you don't want to be filmed the law would need a huge overhaul, and a big opponent to that would be business with surveillance.

(Another post similar to this might show up. I thought I posted it but boards seems to be getting a bit hinky with the load it's under.)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement