Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Lyaiera wrote: »
    I don't know what to believe. Two different After Hours mods are telling me two different things.

On a different note, I think it'd be very interesting to look at Boards reaction to this from a public relations stand point. I think the reaction has improved immensely since the threads started first appearing and that's commendable. This isn't the thread for it though.

We will have different ways of looking at things, thank God!

I said it wouldn't have played a big part in our decision, AH mods that is, tbh I only watched a small part of it and went meh, I don't see what purpose it serves, that's just my take on it.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

At the end of the day, a 16 year old girl, her sister and her dad have received death threats.

No one deserves that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

humanji wrote: »
    And there are thousands of comments about it on this site and others. These are where the defamation comes in.

Yeah, it's what's said on here and what's left be said on here. Boards and the mods could both end up being sued for not controlling what's going on the forums. It'd be a hugely interesting and very badly needed case about digital law. Are the forum owners publishers or "mere conduits?" Are volunteer mods agents of the business and can they be named separately in a legal case? Can a poster who quotes another poster in a thread be libel for the OPs defamation. Really interesting stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

newmug wrote: »

I dont. But some people need to grow themselves some backbone. First world issues and all that.

First world issues? Like cyber bullying and teen suicide? Just tell them to grow a backbone. They'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

yore wrote: »
    True. Similarly, google is a private company and if they decided, hypothetically, to restrict internet searches in say China, that would also be their prerogative.

Yes. Because a major internet search engine censoring the internet is comparable to one private Irish website stopping pages of shíte being posted about a drunk kid.

I've seen the threads about the Cork girls fwiw, didn't like them either.

• Advertisement

Then you see the problem. It's not about people's right to abuse anyone, it's about the fact that apparently people have the right to abuse certain sections of society but not others.

Double standards have no place in the 21st century.

And I'd agree with you to a certain extent. I've seen the threads abusing the Cork girls and others. Don't agree with them being left open either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

There is no double standard here.

The first thread appeared yesterday, it was reported 5 or 6 times in quick succession. Nearly all the reports included the word bullying. It was locked and snipped. It was deleted soon after. No doubt we would have gotten more reports otherwise.

The community spoke and we agreed.

And what about the thread on the Cork Schoolgirls?

The problem isn't so much that the thread was closed and deleted but that similar discussion is allowed when it comes to others that are less well off. Rather than pretending that its some high minded and lofty notion that morality of the situation is driving the ban on discussion I would rather that the moderators be honest about the moderation policy of the site. Essentially it is that you can discuss anything or anyone except those that are wealthy enough to lawyer up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Lyaiera wrote: »
    Yeah, it's what's said on here and what's left be said on here. Boards and the mods could both end up being sued for not controlling what's going on the forums. It'd be a hugely interesting and very badly needed case about digital law. Are the forum owners publishers or "mere conduits?" Are volunteer mods agents of the business and can they be named separately in a legal case? Can a poster who quotes another poster in a thread be libel for the OPs defamation. Really interesting stuff.
    If Boards are concerned about possible defamation cases being taken, it should really be going further than just taking down the offending posts, but also taking down the offending posters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

It's a different matter when it's in a different country.
    On the legal aspect, maybe so. (Despite the fact that it has been pointed out that the videos have been removed from a number of foreign based sites already)....so legally there is also some potential for damage.
    However morally, on the wrecking lives/futures of young people, the same standards should be applied.
    As said before, there's no blanket solution and it's madness that you think there is. As for the schoolgirls thread, it's already been pointed out that it's a different matter. Add to this that you only seem to object to it now as a way to backup your thoughts on the current matter, ask yourself, do you really care about those girls?

No, not particularly. I'm just intrigued as to why this case appears to get special attention and treatment. If I had seen the video on boards.ie , I probably wouldn't have bothered to watch it. The video itself is cr*p. I wouldn't really care about those girls any more than I'd really care about any other random video on the internet. I fell sorry for them and feel that it shouldn't have happened but it's not going to upset my year. I don't that the treatment that they got was fair but I'd doubt anyone "really cares" about them. I only "really care" about my family and close friends. I'm not callous, just honest. I'm a fair person and I don't like too see bad things being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

I've been called a D4 myself and I'd often be one of the first people to criticize the inverted snobbery you mention, my family is probably borderline "posh" by Boards' standards :rolleyes: but the fact is that other videos of people without connections do not get taken down, and if they do, it's not nearly as fast or as absolute.

Again, this girl's life should not be ruined, but I still say it's wrong that those with connections can escape the gauntlet of the internet while those without them have to grin and bear it. It doesn't seem right.

I know if I did something like this I wouldn't want to feel like who I was or what my social standing was had saved me from something which someone from a different background would have had no such defense against. So if that honestly is the reason this video is banned while the cork girls and the Athlone shouting match videos are not, shame on absolutely everyone involved.

Get back in you working class terrace houses ... Of course this can't be allowed to spread all over the Internet this young lady has a bright future ahead of her... Her father is obviously a very powerfull man to put the breaks on the spread of the video ... Typical begrudgery from Internet trolls who envy wealthy people do the become keyboard warriors against a you girl ... And what did she say that what so wrong all these working class people give out about wealthy people when they contribute nothing to society just a drain on the social welfare system with their sense of entitlement

• Advertisement

Higher wrote: »
    At the end of the day, a 16 year old girl, her sister and her dad have received death threats.

No one deserves that.

I call bull on this claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

I call bull on this claim.

I really wouldn't be surprised, but that doesn't meant we shouldn't be able to discuss it here.

Yes. Because a major internet search engine censoring the internet is comparable to one private Irish website stopping pages of shíte being posted about a drunk kid.

I've seen the threads about the Cork girls fwiw, didn't like them either.

So where exactly are you arbitrarily drawing your line on allowable censorship?

It's ok for boards.ie to do it based on the fact that they are a private company yet it would unacceptable for google to do it despite also being a private company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

I agree with the decision to remove the video from this site. There is absolutely no need for a car crash thread in which a young girl and her family are abused. Even without the legal ramifications it would be poor form on Boards' part.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

On the legal aspect, maybe so. (Despite the fact that it has been pointed out that the videos have been removed from a number of foreign based sites already)....so legally there is also some potential for damage.
    However morally, on the wrecking lives/futures of young people, the same standards should be applied.

No, not particularly. I'm just intrigued as to why this case appears to get special attention and treatment. If I had seen the video on boards.ie , I probably wouldn't have bothered to watch it. The video itself is cr*p. I wouldn't really care about those girls any more than I'd really care about any other random video on the internet. I fell sorry for them and feel that it shouldn't have happened but it's not going to upset my year. I don't that the treatment that they got was fair but I'd doubt anyone "really cares" about them. I only "really care" about my family and close friends. I'm not callous, just honest. I'm a fair person and I don't like too see bad things being done.
    And yet you didn't report the thread. As said above, mods can't see everything and have to make judgement calls with every thread. There's no real need to delete the cork girls thread because it's a dead issue. It wouldn't have been brought up if it wasn't for someone trawling through old threads to prove a point. The KPMG issue is a current one and the mods have to try and stop trouble before it happens. Prevention is better than cure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

And yet you didn't report the thread. As said above, mods can't see everything and have to make judgement calls with every thread. There's no real need to delete the cork girls thread because it's a dead issue. It wouldn't have been brought up if it wasn't for someone trawling through old threads to prove a point. The KPMG issue is a current one and the mods have to try and stop trouble before it happens. Prevention is better than cure.

How come it wasn't closed and deleted when it was a current issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Get back in you working class terrace houses ... Of course this can't be allowed to spread all over the Internet this young lady has a bright future ahead of her... Her father is obviously a very powerfull man to put the breaks on the spread of the video ... Typical begrudgery from Internet trolls who envy wealthy people do the become keyboard warriors against a you girl ... And what did she say that what so wrong all these working class people give out about wealthy people when they contribute nothing to society just a drain on the social welfare system with their sense of entitlement

I'm honestly not sure if this post is sarcasm or not... Screw the internet where you can't read people's expressions :D

I never read the thread. It didn't interest me. I glanced at it there now when it was mentioned and the second to last post mentioned the girls names.

So much for being a "dead issue" when their names are on the internet forevermore.

If they cared as much about those girls as this other one, boards.ie should delete the thread and then apply to all mirrors/boardreaders/search engines to have it deleted from their caches.

Similarly, has there been any official change in policy so that the mods "step in" to stop stuff before it happens or is it on a case-by-case, location-by-location, wealth-by-wealth basis?

Edit: You will probably find that I never commented on that thread. Btw, I'm also banned from AH for 6 months or so. I got up a fair few mods noses when they were trying to nazi-ban certain phrases.

No idea. As I said, I don't remember the thread at all.

Probably because the people involved hadn't been receiving death threats, the companies that their parents work for hadn't been bombarded with messeges that are likely to put their jobs at risk and they themselves didn't try to take action against the video.

• Advertisement

I never read the thread. It didn't interest me. I glanced at it there now when it was mentioned and the second to last post mentioned the girls names.

So much for being a "dead issue" when their names are on the internet forevermore.

If they cared as much about those girls as this other one, boards.ie should delete the thread and then apply to all mirrors/boardreaders/search engines to have it deleted from their caches.

Edit: You will probably find that I never commented on that thread. Btw, I'm also banned from AH for 6 months or so. I got up a fair few mods noses when they were trying to nazi-ban certain phrases.
    You're missing the very relevant point I'm making. We're trying to stop the feigned outrage people have for the cork girls from happening again.

Nothing has come from the cork thread, so there's no need to delete it. If you desperately want me to, then I'll do it. It won't make a difference now, as it's a dead issue.

So where exactly are you arbitrarily drawing your line on allowable censorship?

It's ok for boards.ie to do it based on the fact that they are a private company yet it would unacceptable for google to do it despite also being a private company

It's not a fair comparison. Boards doesn't have the same platform, user base and clout as google. If boards decides to not discuss something (not the same as removing internet links on a search engine, if people google they will still find that video, as well as other sites discussing it).
    Google would be doing such to restrict people's ability to communicate thoughts and ideas under government pressure. Boards is doing it for whatever reason if their own, be it legal or simply don't be a dick.

Put very simply, I've no problem with the AH threads running about D4s or anything. I do have a problem when the thread targets a drunk D4 teenager, who imo looks so off her face she doesn't know what she's saying.

Probably because the people involved hadn't been receiving death threats, the companies that their parents work for hadn't been bombarded with messeges that are likely to put their jobs at risk and they themselves didn't try to take action against the video.
    Also, I've seen this said a lot, but have they actually received death threats?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think it's all a matter of proportionality.

Just say something terrible happened to that girl. No suggestion that it its likely to, but it's always a possibility. Emotional 16 year old girls do stupid things. If another tragedy happened, it's no question that a newspaper would very quickly run a story about the girl being vilified on social message boards and how members of the site absolutely trashed her with moderators doing nothing...

I think the girl's attitude is a disgrace, but I think Boards are right to distance themselves from it.

Also, I've seen this said a lot, but have they actually received death threats?

Yes they have, the sister as well as the dad. I've a colleague who knows the family. House has also been egged a few times and people are ringing KPMG looking for the dad and abusing the daughter on the phone to whoever is on the other end. Her school has also been bombarded with emails and phonecalls saying what a whore the girl is etc. before closing her twitter and FB she was threatened on numerous occassions, then when she deleted it they moved onto the daughter. Her house has also received a number of nasty phone calls.

Its very nasty. Sure you can even look at the comments section on the videos and see some of the threats there yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

I'm honestly not sure if this post is sarcasm or not... Screw the internet where you can't read people's expressions :D
    I was echoing our Kpmg friend(",)... Being serious though shows how the system can kick in if your wealthy ... It does show what the other half thinks of us I hope the little pet is ok though (",)

It's not a fair comparison. Boards doesn't have the same platform, user base and clout as google. If boards decides to not discuss something (not the same as removing internet links on a search engine, if people google they will still find that video, as well as other sites discussing it).

Grand. Will we use one of the many other, equally as well known and as popular, discussion fora that Irish people frequent on a daily basis?

Would it be ok for baidu to censor searches in China then, given that they don't have the clout of google?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I am on my phone so I'll have to keep this brief (and repeat what I have said elsewhere). The video and discussions about it are a can of worms we don't want to open.

Ethical and cyber bullying implications aside, and while nobody was explicitly defamed in the video, there is a part of the Defamation Act which deals with damage to reputation and this video has the potential to do that for the girl and her family.

She damaged her own reputation and her fathers. The police regularly show videos of altercations on nights out without faces blurred. As there was no crime committed there is no need to keep the video off the site.

Unless Daddy is offering a few Euro? **** 'em

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yes they have, the sister as well as the dad. I've a colleague who knows the family. House has also been egged a few times and people are ringing KPMG looking for the dad and abusing the daughter on the phone to whoever is on the other end. Her school has also been bombarded with emails and phonecalls saying what a whore the girl is etc.

Its very nasty. Sure you can even look at the comments section on the videos and see some of the threats there yourself.

Out of interest and not doubting you, but is there any link to this. I've heard it as well but theres very little posted about it

• Advertisement

MarkMc wrote: »
    Out of interest and not doubting you, but is there any link to this. I've heard it as well but theres very little posted about it

No purely word of mouth.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement