Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

humanji wrote: »
    You're missing the very relevant point I'm making. We're trying to stop the feigned outrage people have for the cork girls from happening again.

Nothing has come from the cork thread, so there's no need to delete it. If you desperately want me to, then I'll do it. It won't make a difference now, as it's a dead issue.

I don't think we got many reported posts about the Cork girls thread, none about the actual video itself IIRC, could be wrong though.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,041 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Higher wrote: »
    Yes they have, the sister as well as the dad. I've a colleague who knows the family. House has also been egged a few times and people are ringing KPMG looking for the dad and abusing the daughter on the phone to whoever is on the other end. Her school has also been bombarded with emails and phonecalls saying what a whore the girl is etc. before closing her twitter and FB she was threatened on numerous occassions, then when she deleted it they moved onto the daughter. Her house has also received a number of nasty phone calls.

Its very nasty. Sure you can even look at the comments section on the videos and see some of the threats there yourself.

I've seen a lot of abusive and vile name calling but I have problems believing a lot of what is in this post until I am shown proof.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,783 ✭✭✭handsomecake

Lisha wrote: »

She could be a lovely girl sober .

not buying it.she didnt lick that attitude off a spoon. the veil slips when people have a few in them.
    she reverted to type.

im sure those superficial pretentious characterisctics are innate.

almost like life imitating ross o carroll kellys art.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭tonyclifton

Yes they have, the sister as well as the dad. I've a colleague who knows the family. House has also been egged a few times and people are ringing KPMG looking for the dad and abusing the daughter on the phone to whoever is on the other end. Her school has also been bombarded with emails and phonecalls saying what a whore the girl is etc. before closing her twitter and FB she was threatened on numerous occassions, then when she deleted it they moved onto the daughter. Her house has also received a number of nasty phone calls.

Its very nasty. Sure you can even look at the comments section on the videos and see some of the threats there yourself.

Don't believe it for one minute ... This will be the spin put on it... Nobody in there right mind would issue death threats over a video anybody who questions the girls belief systems that have been passed on from daddy will be accused of being a cyber bully!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

I've seen a lot of abusive and vile name calling but I have problems believing a lot of what is in this post until I am shown proof.

I reckon there will definitely be something in the paper if its as severe as I've been told.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

Probably because the people involved hadn't been receiving death threats, the companies that their parents work for hadn't been bombarded with messeges that are likely to put their jobs at risk and they themselves didn't try to take action against the video.

No action has been taken against the video, the moderators have already stated that it was taken down preemptively.

So as I said, its becoming clear that rather than protecting vulnerable people as the main cornerstone of moderation policy, its actually the likelihood of getting sued what is actually driving it. That is of course if there is a moderation policy at all, because it does really seem to be all over the place.

DeVore even said as much in the "Rich kids do a taxi runner and wrongly accused attempts to have it deleted from the Internet" thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

You're missing the very relevant point I'm making. We're trying to stop the feigned outrage people have for the cork girls from happening again.

Nothing has come from the cork thread, so there's no need to delete it. If you desperately want me to, then I'll do it. It won't make a difference now, as it's a dead issue.

People don't have a feigned outrage for the Cork girls. They're just wondering why this case gets special treatment and they didn't.

Does "nothing has come from" mean that they didn't have wealthy connections to lay down the pressure?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I think the girl's attitude is a disgrace, but I think Boards are right to distance themselves from it.

This, well said.

I've seen the video. Says much about our disgusting drinking culture.

However, those responsible for death threats, abusive calls and messages etc are dispicable.

i think you need things like this every now and then to give people a fright. people might think twice about being bell ends in public in future.

what scares me is the hidden cameras around now in car key fobs,sunglasses pens etc. youd wanna be well careful what your saying anywhere, particularly if you have the propensity like this girl to talk complete and utter supercilious bile

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

yore wrote: »
    People don't have a feigned outrage for the Cork girls. They're just wondering why this case gets special treatment and they didn't.
    There are lots of people feigning outrage at older posts and trying to use them as a valid argument, when it already has been explained several times to them.
    Does "nothing has come from" mean that they didn't have wealthy connections to lay down the pressure?
    No, it means "nothing has come from". Funny how words can mean exactly what they mean, isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Will there be videos of viewers showing there responses to "KPMG Girl" (sic)?

What is Boards.ie policy on video responses responding to the video?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭TheUsual

Stupid girl. Stupid video.

And I'm on the internet long enough to know that this one has gotten way out of hand, and pretty nasty too. Snowball effect as one of the mods said earlier.
    Just move onto the next viral thing please and forget about it.

death threats. the last bastion of someone who is cornered and bang to rights. not having it.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

The Late, Late guy video was taken down because of legal threats, not because he was wealthy, the Cork girls would as well if there was threats or if one of the girls complained, or if we got a lot of reported posts about the video.

If something gets reported a lot it usually is a good yardstick.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,599 ✭✭✭sashafierce

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Hello and welcome to the thread KPMG's highest earning partner!

<snip>

• Site Banned Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭Higher

death threats. the last bastion of someone who is cornered and bang to rights. not having it.

Thats fine, just relaying what I was told. I had little sympathy for her when I saw the video until I was told what I was.

The thing has gone viral and probably has been viewed by tens, even hundreds of thousands at this stage. Her actions have made a lot of people angry.

I think you underestimate how many crazy or extremely angry and violent people there are out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Grand. Will we use one of the many other, equally as well known and as popular, discussion fora that Irish people frequent on a daily basis?

Ah, so a completely different question then.
    I very simply don't see the need to discuss this. Or the Cork girls.

I could understand it if this was some major scandal, but a drunk girl shouting about her rich dad? I think her attitude stinks but I don't see the need for threads on it.
    Would it be ok for baidu to censor searches in China then, given that they don't have the clout of google?

Baidu, who come in 5th in Alexa rankings and afaik they do censor searches already. (I am not well up on Chinese search engines admittedly).

No, I don't agree with it. If they a website deleting discussion of a video where a rich drunk girl shows off about her daddy to some other rich kids, sure I have no problem with them censoring that. Y'know, something actually comparable.

No, it means "nothing has come from". Funny how words can mean exactly what they mean, isn't it?

Also funny that that seems to imply that "something has come from" in this case.........

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭sfwcork

It seems that anytime a video goes virel the person in the video always pays the death threat cards.

I dont believe in this stance that"oh shes only 16" .When i was 16 I wasnt acting the prat around the place.stevie wonder could see that the incident was being recorded,even her friends when shown were clearly embarassed.Shes a fooking prat.do you think if her father was minimum wage working in mcdonalds and the video had gone virel over something else would it be taken down left right and center.I think not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,084 ✭✭✭oppenheimer1

There are lots of people feigning outrage at older posts and trying to use them as a valid argument, when it already has been explained several times to them.

Its not feigned outrage, its is simply questioning inconsistency in how the forums are run around here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

This post has been deleted.

Exactly. I don't care where she's from but I don't like either her attitude or the internet reaction.
    And I say that as a 'D4 head' meself. :pac:

K-9 wrote: »
    The Late, Late guy video was taken down because of legal threats, not because he was wealthy, the Cork girls would as well if there was threats or if one of the girls complained, or if we got a lot of reported posts about the video.

I mention this fact already in the context that we were told that this one was taken down without legal threats, but those others needed to get their solicitors on the case to force it to be taken down.

Did anyone say anything libelous on the thread to force it to be deleted rather than just locked and have individual posts deleted?

Or is the girl in question "one of us" to the boards hierarchy???

Thats fine, just relaying what I was told. I had little sympathy for her when I saw the video until I was told what I was.

The thing has gone viral and probably has been viewed by tens, even hundreds of thousands at this stage. Her actions have made a lot of people angry.

I think you underestimate how many crazy or extremely angry and violent people there are out there.

your right there are. and i seen one angry and aggressive person on a video today,and for some reason her honour is being defended.

do you think when she hits 18 she'll become respectful?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Also funny that that seems to imply that "something has come from" in this case.........
    No, it doesn't. Again with the conspiracies...
    Its not feigned outrage, its is simply questioning inconsistency in how the forums are run around here.
    I should make it clear that not everyone is feigning outrage and as you say, really are simply questioning what they see as inconsistencies, but there's plenty of people searching old threads and reporting posts to try and prove a point, as well as starting new ones or re-reging with specific names etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

She damaged her own reputation and her fathers. The police regularly show videos of altercations on nights out without faces blurred. As there was no crime committed there is no need to keep the video off the site.

Unless Daddy is offering a few Euro? **** 'em

Grand, she damaged her reputation, but why do we have to discuss it here? In fact, what's the discuss? What can actually be said in a thread to make the video relevant? The only reason to want a thread on it is to ridicule the girl.

If she were to harm herself due to the negative attention and downright horrid ridicule, would you say "ah, sure it's her own fault". There are dozens of examples of young kids taking their lives because of Internet bullying. If boards were to allow it, when there is no reasonable discussion to be had, then I would lose a lot of respect for the company and community.

There is NOTHING to discuss, and free speech doesn't exist here. Double standards can be had when it's reasonable, and in this case it's quite reasonable.

Ah, so a completely different question then.
    I very simply don't see the need to discuss this. Or the Cork girls.

I could understand it if this was some major scandal, but a drunk girl shouting about her rich dad? I think her attitude stinks but I don't see the need for threads on it.

No, I don't agree with it. If they a website deleting discussion of a video where a rich drunk girl shows off about her daddy to some other rich kids, sure I have no problem with them censoring that. Y'know, something actually comparable.

Grand. but why deleted rather than just locked? Like so many other threads are?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

Then I think you're missing a very relevant point. Threads aren't being deleted because of an ethical stance Boards has taken, it's because of the actions people outside of Boards' control have taken.

The sharing of the video of the girls fighting (and the Characters of Cork Thread) is just as nasty as the video of this girl. Just because people are getting worked up about this video doesn't change the nature of the video itself. And that annoys people.

As has been said, what's being posted on the internet has come under a lot of scrutiny recently, and I have no doubt that's heightened people's sensibilities. However, as long as Boards continues to treat people being embarrassed in this new manner a good thing has come of it. And I think that's the correct thing to happen from this.

No, it doesn't. Again with the conspiracies...

No not a conspiracy. Just wondering why you are using a logical fallacy in your reasoning

This thread was deleted for mysterious reason whereas the other threads were not because "nothing has come of them". Why mkae the distinction justifying not deleting the other ones as "nothing has come of them" if that same reason applies to this one?.

Surely if the reason they weren't deleted was that "nothing has come from them" and that similarly, "nothing has come" from this one, it means that this one should also have not been deleted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

It was right to shut it down. She's only a young girl and regardless of her attitude whatever people's opinions might be, she doesn't deserve to be tore apart. Famous people often talk about how hard they find being famous so I can only imagine how a stream of negative videos can affect a young person's mind. We can not on the one hand complain about cyber bullying and then on the other complain about a lack of opportunity to do it.

What is a problem is the relative speed at this was dealt with by boards. This was dealt with like no other issue. There have been issues here for example of the woman who froze to death in north Dublin. On that thread there was ten plus pages on people's theories regarding the "real" cause of her death and allegations of drug use. The legal implications for that where far greater than this issue. A friend of her's joined boards to ask for the thread to be closed then which it did and a flimsy apology was given.

Then there are videos of kids from Cork fighting that were left up despite featuring two young girls. There have been other threads on "dole scum". Yet this case is different because of one reason (not her age since the cork girls where younger) and that was her socio economic status.

The cmods got involved in this and deleted whole threads. This didn't happen with the girl who froze to death or the young Cork girls. This is discrimnation of one group over another and I would insult my sense of standards to call it anything else. I personally feel offended that some people on this site are treated better than others. Now I think this site is well run and the mods for the most part are nice people who are giving up their time to volunteer but there needs to be an apology over how other cases where handled in relation to this. It's discrimnation in all it's ugliness.

Only time will tell if we see the site treat other cases of people from different backgrounds like this because if it doesn't. I predict a turning point in this site.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement