Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Hi All - Just to share some parkrun news Matt has confirmed today that there is a new parkrun starting this October in Vicarstown
    see event update here : http://www.parkrun.ie/news/

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Vicarstown is pencilled in to start on Oct 11, the same day as Kilkenny. I hope they stagger the inaugural runs in the end, as I'd like to do both. While there has been a lot of talk about Kilkenny, not much has been said about Vicarstown, which gives me hope that the start date will be later.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

Just registered this morning with parkrun.

Has anyone bought the tags from here

Looks a bit handier to have a tag on my key instead of a laminated piece of paper

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've ordered the barcodes from that site, there are other barcode options but that site you linked does give a portion of the fee towards parkrun as well. They are dead handy and I just have one on my house keys and the car keys so that I've always got a barcode with me however I happen to have made my way to the parkrun.

I have found the barcode to start to wear off after a while of bouncing around in the pocket with my keys, but they are still scanning OK at the moment, and it's only a couple of quid anyway.

Thanks for the reply robinph. I ordered the 3 pack of tags for just under €5.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Am I missing something? http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/ only seem to ship to the UK, although they have a full country list it seems to be greyed out.

I know i could use parcel motel but will they ship to Ireland without this?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I thought they had sorted that and would ship to Ireland now, or people had got round it with using a fake postcode for somewhere in Belfast. I've just ordered for genuine UK delivery though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

These are the latest thing parkrun wristbands but they're only available locally in South Africa :( . Apparently, all of these official suppliers are supposed to only operate in their own country because a donation per purchase goes specifically to that country's parkrun org.

Oh I like that wrist band version.

Makes sense that they are restricting it to each country seeing as the donations from the "official" suppliers goes towards that countries funds.

I have to say the wristbands from tenbits are the best solution to the barcode problem- using mine for months now and it always scans perfectly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

A portion of the profits go to parkrun all right but as they are a UK company the profits go to parkrun UK. parkrun Ireland are working on their own deal/supplier with profits going to parkrun Ireland. The tags and wristbands are very handy all right and save all the hassle we get with soggy and worn barcodes (not worth thinking too much about that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Registered back in March but still haven't attended a run yet. Need to get involved. Just order a tag / card with barcode on it. Might try do Marlay on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭crisco10

Amigaman wrote: »
    I have to say the wristbands from tenbits are the best solution to the barcode problem- using mine for months now and it always scans perfectly

Oh, I like that!

shame they only deliver to SA...that said I am in SA in the new year visiting friends. I may order it a few weeks before I head over! (unless some Irish entrepreneur wants to set up shop!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

bisso wrote: »
    A portion of the profits go to parkrun all right but as they are a UK company the profits go to parkrun UK. parkrun Ireland are working on their own deal/supplier with profits going to parkrun Ireland. The tags and wristbands are very handy all right and save all the hassle we get with soggy and worn barcodes (not worth thinking too much about that!)

Hopefully we can get an irish version soon. for an appropraiate fee they would be ideal

Cabaal wrote: »
    Am I missing something? http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/ only seem to ship to the UK, although they have a full country list it seems to be greyed out.

I know i could use parcel motel but will they ship to Ireland without this?

I used my parcel motel address for delivery Cabaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭gerard_65

Big news for parkrun its the first step in parkrun laying the foundations for the future

Will hopefully help me keep my higher %'age Wiggle discount as well. :)

...and here is the Wiggle parkrun store:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/parkrun/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,143 ✭✭✭plodder

Free delivery to Ireland it seems. So, no need for any parcelmotel tricks, which would mean Ireland not getting recognition for the sale anyway. I think the range of stock is limited to start with, and will be expanded over time.

• Advertisement

Their Aussie site just seems to be a redirect to the UK site, not an actually different one. You can then select the currency in the top corner but everything else is the same. Presumably they can easily make up a list of sales destined for each territory and then tell parkrun where to send the funds.

Breaking: Vicarstown confirmed for Oct 18 - live on the parkrun.ie website

"This is an out-and-back course, along the Grand Canal tow path. This tow path has a grass surface, for the full distance. The start / finish is 300m north from Vicarstown Bridge, in the Monasterevan direction"

Apparently Killaloe is next on Oct 25 with more to follow in November, including one in Cavan

If you search for Clarisford parkrun on Google you'll find a map that says "Clarisford parkrun. Public · · 44 views. Created on Sep 14 · By parkrun HQ" Right on the banks of the Shannon it would appear

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭DarByrne1980

looking forward to my first park run tomorrow. Most likely malahide

A page has been created on Facebook, within the last few minutes, for a new parkrun in Poppintree Park in Ballymun. No other info yet but hear it could be up and running as early as November

...and while floating around FB just now, I received an invite to like a new page for a run in Cootehill, Co Cavan. The next couple of months are gearing up to be quite busy and exciting with all these new events coming on board.

All going well there will be 22 parkruns in the Republic of Ireland before years end

Clarisford FB page says Nov 1 start date now. Shame as I'm away that weekend.

I'm told there is pretty much going to be one new parkrun per week starting with Kilkenny on Oct 11 and continuing for the next few weeks. Kilkenny will be the 16th in the Republic, followed by Vicarstown as the 17th a week later. I hope Cootehill is the following week, although it would probably take me as long driving to Cavan as it would Dublin.

• Advertisement

Amigaman wrote: »
    All going well there will be 22 parkruns in the Republic of Ireland before years end

Kilkenny (16), Vicarstown (17), Clarisford (18)? also FB pages started for Cootehill, Popintree, makes 20. I'm intrigued as to where the others will be. Someone mentioned Ballina - although not sure if they meant Tipp or Mayo.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement