Advertisement
Where is Report Post on mobile? We've made a slight change, see here
Have your say on the future of the 'Save Draft' feature in this poll
MODs please see this information notice in the mod's forum. Thanks!
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards

Parkrun..

134689330

Comments



  • Cabaal wrote: »
    Kilkenny has been delayed until 11th October, course will be in Kilkenny Castle grounds

    Fair play for setting it up.. Am interested in the process. Why the delay?




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play for setting it up.. Am interested in the process. Why the delay?

    Think it's on this weekend.




  • Bahanaman wrote: »
    Think it's on this weekend.

    Sorry! 11th October it is.




  • Murph_D wrote: »
    Fair play for setting it up.. Am interested in the process. Why the delay?

    am not involved in setting it up,
    Delay is apparently due to the backlog in Parkruns setting up right now, I guess they have to wait their turn?




  • My first Castlebar Park run today & really enjoyed it. Lovely course around Lough Lannagh, although that hill around 3k is a tester. Thanks to all the volunteers for an enjoyable morning!


  • Advertisement


  • I am registered for Parkrun and have done some in Marly, im heading up to Belfast at the weekend and am going to do one there. Does anybody know if i have to register seperately for that or will my existing registration do.

    Thanks
    EMPM




  • EMPM wrote: »
    I am registered for Parkrun and have done some in Marly, im heading up to Belfast at the weekend and am going to do one there. Does anybody know if i have to register seperately for that or will my existing registration do.

    existing reg is fine for any parkrun, anywhere




  • I understand Vicarstown in Laois is also due to start on Oct 11. They created a FB page a few weeks ago but no detail on it at all yet. I'm not familiar with Vicarstown at all but am told the course will either cross or run alongside the grand canal.




  • slingerz wrote: »
    Most unique parkrun in the world commencing at the end of August.

    Bere Island parkrun takes place on August 30th!

    I ran the inaugural one. Spectacular views along the course but incredibly hilly. You seem to be slowly running uphill for the first 3.5k and then there's a very steep descent.

    Definitely worth a visit once in a while.




  • Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?


  • Advertisement


  • McWotever wrote: »
    Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?
    Nope. Pretty typical. Yes. Just make sure you don't take any short-cuts during the run. There are certain sections of a few of the Parkrun courses where it is quite possible to cut a corner and shorten the course. If someone ahead of you cuts the corner, you might be lead to believe that this is the official course, or might find it difficult to run the official line if other runners are taking a shorter route and blocking your path to the correct course. Happens frequently in road races too.




  • 99% of the runners take a shortcut across the grass at the second corner in Marlay (after about 400 metres). They should be staying on the gravel.




  • McWotever wrote: »
    Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?

    Garmins and mobile phone's often measure Marlay parkrun short, we put this down to the tree cover, you will find that your Garmin will measure the course longer in winter when the leaves fall off the trees. While the course has been accurately measured and verified and is 5 km our response when asked is 'it's about 5km'.

    We have moved finish line back lately to compensate for the first corner where you join the perimeter path around the concert field, which we now cut for safety reasons.




  • LiamMcC wrote: »
    Garmins and mobile phone's often measure Marlay parkrun short, we put this down to the tree cover, you will find that your Garmin will measure the course longer in winter when the leaves fall off the trees. While the course has been accurately measured and verified and is 5 km our response when asked is 'it's about 5km'.

    We have moved finish line back lately to compensate for the first corner where you join the perimeter path around the concert field, which we now cut for safety reasons.


    Good enough answer for me. The PB stands! Thanks.




  • Same with Ardgillan, plenty of the route is on paths through the trees and there is always going to be a corner or two which could be cut. Must watch out for the course lengthening as the leaves fall off the trees.




  • Question

    In Dublin at the weekend and staying at the Red Cow, Relying on public transport to get around, what is the easiest parkrun to get to and how woudl i get to it i.e Luas etc?




  • slingerz wrote: »
    Question

    In Dublin at the weekend and staying at the Red Cow, Relying on public transport to get around, what is the easiest parkrun to get to and how woudl i get to it i.e Luas etc?

    Tymon Park and walking is probably the easiest way.




  • Looks like Tymon is about 2.5 - 3 miles from Red Cow. So, I'd agree walk/jog or taxi are the best options.




  • It's a pretty straight road from Red Cow to Tymon. When you see this T-Junction, just take a right and a left and you'll be at Tymon Park. The Parkrun starts at the opposite side of the Park though. 4km in total.




  • The gates to Tymon don't open until 10am and the run starts at 9:30am. They tell runners to access the park from the Basketball Arena in Tallaght and walk across the M50 footbridge.

    There is probably a way into the park from St Jude's too, but they are now asking runners not to park in the GAA club.


  • Advertisement


  • The Basketball arena car park is maybe 2 minutes further from the start line than the other car parks, and it is unused.
    The car parks at the GAA clubs and football clubs are used by those clubs. If they get pissed off at runners parking there and their members not being able to park there, they'll complain to the council and parkrun might be pulled from the park.

    (the route that slingerz was directed along doesn't pass any locked gates, you can always run in from there)




  • RayCun wrote: »
    The Basketball arena car park is maybe 2 minutes further from the start line than the other car parks, and it is unused.
    The car parks at the GAA clubs and football clubs are used by those clubs. If they get pissed off at runners parking there and their members not being able to park there, they'll complain to the council and parkrun might be pulled from the park.

    (the route that slingerz was directed along doesn't pass any locked gates, you can always run in from there)

    The Basketball arena carpark is actually the exact same distance as the GAA carparks from the startline. About 400m.




  • menoscemo wrote: »
    The Basketball arena carpark is actually the exact same distance as the GAA carparks from the startline. About 400m.

    The real problem is that car park is on the wrong side of the M50 :-)




  • RayCun wrote: »
    The real problem is that car park is on the wrong side of the M50 :-)

    The wrong side for yellow and green clad joggers anyway ;)




  • Amazing run in Marlay today, seems the number of runners is growing every time.
    Wonderful day (and eventho I didn't cut a single corner, still 4.96 😅) and very supportive volunteers




  • That's actually a low number for MARLAY.




  • ???
    PVincent wrote: »
    That's actually a low number for MARLAY.




  • Hani Kosti wrote: »
    ???

    :confused::confused::confused:
    He means there are normally more participants I would assume.




  • menoscemo wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    He means there are normally more participants I would assume.

    Most I've seen this year... anyhow, great day today


  • Advertisement


  • Kilkenny page is now live on the parkrun website. One small lap of the grass area in front of the castle followed by two laps of the outer loop through the forested area. October 11.


This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement