Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Toblerone1978

Hi. Anyone know where you can get your barcode on wristbands. I googled it but wasn't fond of the results!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭pointer28

Hi. Anyone know where you can get your barcode on wristbands. I googled it but wasn't fond of the results!

No idea, but with a pair of scissors, some sellotape and a bit of Blue Peter ingenuity you should be able to manage something yourself. Add some elastic and you would have a super job.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭aodea

Ran tymon today. Really enjoyed it, very well organised. Didn't do myself justice had hard week of training and felt every bit in last 2kms were pace dropped horrifically. Will defo do again and will try to help volunteer, really amazing service to be offered.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

aodea wrote: »
    Ran tymon today. Really enjoyed it, very well organised. Didn't do myself justice had hard week of training and felt every bit in last 2kms were pace dropped horrifically. Will defo do again and will try to help volunteer, really amazing service to be offered.

Last 2k in Tymon are tough, especially with the wind today

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/parkrun-wristbands-ra3.aspx

I ordered one from here yesterday using parcel motel for delivery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭patob

Did Waterstown this morning. Fab location down by Liffey banks, 2 loop course goes out and turns almost under the M50 bridge. Never knew about this great park location in Palmerstown. Would recommend strongly. Numbers were a bit low compared to other Parkruns.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,149 ✭✭✭plodder

Did Kilkenny today. Lovely, but challenging course in the park attached to the castle. It's only their second week, but a great crowd. I'd say they'll get plenty of parkrun tourists given the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

well to the best of my knowledge there are these
    http://www.parkrun-barcode.org.uk/parkrun-wristbands-ra3.aspx
    and these
    http://tenbits.co.za/home/product-category/parkrun-Wristbands/

I have the tenbits version , although last time i checked they didnt ship outside ZA

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Did Vicarstown inaugural yesterday. Of the 46 runners, all but 5 were taking part in their first ever parkrun.
    Lovely course along the Grand Canal but quite tough. Entirely on grass and rain earlier in the week didn't help.
    My slower time gives me an excuse to come back some day.
    Really well organised too with a great, friendly team of volunteers.

plodder wrote: »
    Did Kilkenny today. Lovely, but challenging course in the park attached to the castle. It's only their second week, but a great crowd. I'd say they'll get plenty of parkrun tourists given the location.

Did they do the small lap first on Saturday? There was some talk of changing it after the inaugural event last weekend

• Advertisement

plodder wrote: »

Did they do the small lap first on Saturday? There was some talk of changing it after the inaugural event last weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭66_Lad

edisonolmy wrote: »

No, 2 of the bigger laps first and then the smaller one to finish. Got nice muddy legs by the end!

66_Lad wrote: »
    No, 2 of the bigger laps first and then the smaller one to finish. Got nice muddy legs by the end!

That climb at the end of each lap gets more difficult each time

66_Lad wrote: »

That climb at the end of each lap gets more difficult each time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭woody1

finally got around to running the castlebar parkrun this weekend, thankfully the rain blew away just as we started and it was a fine morning for it, nice run , apart from the one hill really, will have to go back soon to give it a right lash..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭eliwallach

Two major cock-ups with the results on consecutive weeks at Macroom Parkrun. One guy who had been trying to break 25 mins since Macroom Parkrun started finally managed it in one of these weeks but no record of it for him.
    Things are slipping.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Demand a refund immediately. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭cullenswood

eliwallach wrote: »
    Two major cock-ups with the results on consecutive weeks at Macroom Parkrun. One guy who had been trying to break 25 mins since Macroom Parkrun started finally managed it in one of these weeks but no record of it for him.
    Things are slipping.

Dock the race organisers a weeks wages on the back of this

robinph wrote: »
    Demand a refund immediately. :D

Not the point.
    Do it properly or don't do it at all.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Not the point.
    Do it properly or don't do it at all.

Best way to resolve this is to volunteer your self and help improve things.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

... or volunteer.

If they had the finish token but no time, then it's probably possible for them to query it with the events team. They will have scans of the finish tokens and it will probably show everyone else behind 25 minutes out of sequence a bit. Ask for them to have a look at the data and they may then spot the problem.

There is lots of chances for errors to creep into the data, like scanning the position token before the athlete ID...or I sometimes hand them my Tesco Clubcard instead. Do they have two timers on the finish line? Do you hear them checking that the timers and position token person are in sync with ear other regularly?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Best way to resolve this is to volunteer your self and help improve things.

Ironically, I did volunteer for week 1 of cock-up, but was told things were "under control" and my services weren't required, so, quite clearly that isn't the best way to resolve this.

Ironically, I did volunteer for week 1 of cock-up, but was told things were "under control" and my services weren't required, so, quite clearly that isn't the best way to resolve this.
    in fairness, one runner missing from the results is hardly a major cock-up. Usually, an email to the event afterwards with some information about where the runner finished - who they were behind etc. can resolve a problem like this.

Did you volunteer in advance? They can actually be full up some weeks, and not need anyone else. Most events like to have the roster sorted the earlier the better in the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

If the person knows they went sub 25 on their garmin/stopwatch then surely that's good enough for them?
    The Parkrun times are never exact anyways as it's a mass start and the finish chute timer could be out by a few seconds due to human error.
    If the person is eager for an officially timed sub 25 then perhaps it's time to do a paid race with starting and finishing mats where these things should be guaranteed as opposed to a volunteer-led initiative that are providing a great service for free?

Anyways, if he has now gone sub 25 the chances are he will go even quicker next time out and hopefully there will be no timing errors by then.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Clarisford Parkrun is starting on October 25th. Out in Killaloe, would be near enough for Limerick City.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

So your solution is what? Not bother doing parkruns at all? Personally I'm glad they are there even if they are not always perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

According to their Facebook page there was a equipment malfunction, and nobody's barcode was correctly scanned.

It's unfortunate, but sometimes things go wrong. If you contact them they should be able to confirm your friend's finish time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

Clarisford Parkrun is starting on October 25th. Out in Killaloe, would be near enough for Limerick City.

I wonder will 4 laps of clarisford get a bit congested?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭MaggotBrain

Finnt wrote: »
    I wonder will 4 laps of clarisford get a bit congested?

I was never out there, looks like laps around a few football pitches. Thinking of volunteering anyway, finger's crossed the park run is successful badly needed around here.

• Advertisement

Skid X wrote: »
    According to their Facebook page there was a equipment malfunction, and nobody's barcode was correctly scanned.

It's unfortunate, but sometimes things go wrong. If you contact them they should be able to confirm your friend's finish time.
    That is unfortunate, but they seem to be doing everything they can to fix it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement