Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Looks like Tramore Valley, Cork is off again this week - that'll be a whole month without a run. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭Kerry Gooner

Operation Transformation cameras coming down to Tralee this weekend.
    Don't forget that spurt at the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Looks like Tramore Valley, Cork is off again this week - that'll be a whole month without a run. :(

Afraid so we're off air still :( No definite date yet when we'll permission from the council to restart.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

opus wrote: »
    Afraid so we're off air still :( No definite date yet when we'll permission from the council to restart.
    How bad was it the last weekend? Heard through the grapevines it took people an hour to get out of the carpark.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

While OT is a great initiative it seems to be causing havoc for Parkrun with people complaining about spill over parking and excess numbers of people in attendance causing problems.

Knocknacarra has been getting a lot of grief as people are parking on footpaths and generally being troublesome. The good news is we're finally getting Parkrun in Oranmore as a result :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

sconhome wrote: »
    While OT is a great initiative it seems to be causing havoc for Parkrun with people complaining about spill over parking and excess numbers of people in attendance causing problems.

Knocknacarra has been getting a lot of grief as people are parking on footpaths and generally being troublesome. The good news is we're finally getting Parkrun in Oranmore as a result :D

To be fair neither OT nor Parkrun is the problem. The problem is more likely to be that some people don't plan forward and are more concerned with their own convenience than anything else. It bugs me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

One of the problems with the knocknacarra park run is that the car park is also used by other sports clubs training in the park at the same time. Also there isn't anywhere handy (eg shopping centre) to leave the car and walk a few mins so it's the car park or nothing (yes, or cycle!). It's a shame as I'm sure this puts a few people off. Not I though as I come a few mins early.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Dilbert75 wrote: »
    To be fair neither OT nor Parkrun is the problem. The problem is more likely to be that some people don't plan forward and are more concerned with their own convenience than anything else. It bugs me.

100%

Had a protracted debate on Twitter about this very thing. Unfortunately the blame is being levelled at Parkrun (I know its not to blame so many other things) for being too successful at attracting crowds and thus risks being stopped by the Councils who are tasked with getting people to use the parks.

Go figure :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

sconhome wrote: »

Any idea of location/route?? Would be nice to have an alternative..
    Wasn't a fan of the knocknacarra route but great work put in by the RD there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,363 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Was hoping for a better time again this week, but keys fell out of my pockets a few times, so that's likely out the window.

They said there was an 87 year old in Malahide this morning. Kudos. I'll be doing well if I'm still doing this 50 years from now, though perhaps by that stage the holodeck will have been invented. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭aoboa

Did Tymon. Great fun. That last mile got me again. Grrr... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭JosDel

Done St Anne's again..391 runners. Official time exactly the same as last week, had a feeling it was close :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

The numbers in Athlone seem to be dwindling and the course itself during wet weather is absolutely lethal. Someone is going to get injured badly one of these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Did Shanganagh this morning, good crowd again. Will be down in the family home in Galway next weekend so hoping to do Knocknacarra again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Itzy wrote: »
    The numbers in Athlone seem to be dwindling and the course itself during wet weather is absolutely lethal. Someone is going to get injured badly one of these days.
    Add your reply here.
    It's been like that since the start of Dec. I've given up trying to improve my time, just concentrating on keeping moving, walking the mucky parts and not sliding down the slopes on my tail end!
    Wasn't there myself this morning but I heard alright that it was pretty wet and slippy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

I run the flat safer areas myself and walk on the more dangerous parts, despite having slipped 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have no issue getting soaked through or mucky, but what worries me is someone getting badly injured and it only takes one slip to do so, before things get hairy for the Athlone Parkrun.

I'm sure AIT wouldn't be impressed with volunteers dumping a few bags of light stone on the offending areas to prevent slipping and it wouldn't be feasible for the Parkrun temporarily relocate until the weather improves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Shedite27 wrote: »
    How bad was it the last weekend? Heard through the grapevines it took people an hour to get out of the carpark.

Hasn't been a parkrun at Tramore Valley since Jan 23th. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Operation Transformation cameras coming down to Tralee this weekend.
    Don't forget that spurt at the finish line.

Sorry, but this just sounds a bit dodgy... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

:-) - Killerz you have officially just ruined parkrun for me ...never again will I be able to sprint that last 250m without having that image in my head ...LOL :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Killerz

Amigaman wrote: »
    :-) - Killerz you have officially just ruined parkrun for me ...never again will I be able to sprint that last 250m without having that image in my head ...LOL :-)

Haha, well Kerry Gooner ruined it for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,854 ✭✭✭deisedude

opus wrote: »
    Hasn't been a parkrun at Tramore Valley since Jan 23th. :(

With the size of Cork City it's actually ridiculous there was only one parkrun anyway. Surely there is somewhere else capable of hosting a parkrun

deisedude wrote: »
    With the size of Cork City it's actually ridiculous there was only one parkrun anyway. Surely there is somewhere else capable of hosting a parkrun

To be fair though, Tramore Valley only started a few months ago: hopefully there will be more in the future...

Itzy wrote: »
    I run the flat safer areas myself and walk on the more dangerous parts, despite having slipped 3 times in the last 2 weeks. I have no issue getting soaked through or mucky, but what worries me is someone getting badly injured and it only takes one slip to do so, before things get hairy for the Athlone Parkrun.

I'm sure AIT wouldn't be impressed with volunteers dumping a few bags of light stone on the offending areas to prevent slipping and it wouldn't be feasible for the Parkrun temporarily relocate until the weather improves.

Thanks, that's useful information for potential parkrun tourists - probably best to wait for better weather - anyone know of other courses with those sort of issues? I remember running a course a bit like that in Devon (Killerton) - I wasn't bothered about the time, just getting round without breaking a leg!

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

For Athlone, just stick on a pair of 15mm spikes...

I wouldn't propose closing such courses, only to move them where possible or alter the course so People don't get injured. Wouldn't look good for Park Run around the Country if someone did break a leg or get hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 sporteamon3

edisonolmy wrote: »
    For Athlone, just stick on a pair of 15mm spikes...

Thinking of doing this on Sat. Are spikes the best option? What about the bit on the concrete outer path?

If you bring spikes, I'd say just stick to the grass where possible.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've done a wide variety of parkruns, in a wide variety of conditions and types of courses. But I'd never wear spikes to any of them.

Trail shoes yes, but not spikes. Save the spikes for a race, and where you are surrounded by other people who also have metal on their feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

You don;t want to be spiking someone at a parkrun right enough. I think it is possible to stay on the football pitches at Athlone isn't it? Run alongside the tarmac

• Advertisement

Presumably if you do wear spikes you just need to be a bit more careful - especially when there's other runners nearby - ease off a bit and remember that they're for your own safety, not to get a fast time. That old "it's a run not a race" thing...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement