Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

lanod2407 wrote: »
    How accurate are Parkrun courses, and is there a standard method of measurement that should be used?

Limerick has had 3 runs since it started last month, and each run has had the course changed due to issues with the distance. Surely there's a requirement to adopt a standardised / recognised measurement protocol and use that to measure the course before a new event kicks off?

Once Limerick (or any other Parkrun) gets a settled course you can then start comparing your times over the distance over the weeks and months - whatever that particular parkrun version of 5km might be. The actual distance is nearly irrelevant once the course is settled and is always marked out the same way.

NOTE : I know many parkruns go to great efforts to get the 5km distance correct by the by with Jones Counters used by certified operators.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The problem with a wheel is that you make very slight sideways movements all the way around, versus the Jones counter which will minimize (not eliminate) this. The correct measurement technique for the Jones method (for road races) also includes +1m for every k as a short course prevention measure. I would expect you should increase that if just using a hand wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Mandavit in Bordeaux starts on March 12, so should be running smoothly by June 18 - who's with me that day? Anyone else going to the Belgium match?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Mandavit in Bordeaux starts on March 12, so should be running smoothly by June 18 - who's with me that day? Anyone else going to the Belgium match?

If we get tickets to the match there will be a few of us there. Ireland jersey obligatory;)

It'll be a tough one as will be presumably warm and probably not my healthiest week.

I'll run in green. I no longer buy football shirts.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

How accurate are Parkrun courses, and is there a standard method of measurement that should be used?

Limerick has had 3 runs since it started last month, and each run has had the course changed due to issues with the distance. Surely there's a requirement to adopt a standardised / recognised measurement protocol and use that to measure the course before a new event kicks off?

I think the Limerick organisers finally got the route right last Saturday, a case of third time lucky :) My TomTom Multi sport watch that is usually pretty accurate recorded 5km on the dot. Considering, Limerick ParkRun is only in it's first three weeks there will always be a few teething problems. I can't see them changing the route from now on as they seem to have the distance spot on.

My only issue with the route is that there are a number of very narrow spots and gates that make it very difficult to overtake. I had to slow down to a stop once or twice for fear of crashing into the walkers in front of me.Still, I'll be there on Saturday, lovely scenic route and great buzz.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

panda100 wrote: »
    My only issue with the route is that there are a number of very narrow spots and gates that make it very difficult to overtake. I had to slow down to a stop once or twice for fear of crashing into the walkers in front of me.Still, I'll be there on Saturday, lovely scenic route and great buzz.

Gets narrow in places alright, but the numbers will flatten out in a few weeks - always do when OT finishes up. A pity, but true nonetheless.
    And I agree - great to run by the river and it's got a good buzz going, so looking forward to it becoming a weekly session.

lanod2407 wrote:
    Gets narrow in places alright, but the numbers will flatten out in a few weeks - always do when OT finishes up. A pity, but true nonetheless. And I agree - great to run by the river and it's got a good buzz going, so looking forward to it becoming a weekly session.

I'm expecting numbers to rise! I think as more people here about it and coming into the Summer months and Great Lumerick Run it will be a very popular park run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

panda100 wrote:

It's essential to realise that parkrun is not a 'race', but a timed run. You can't expect a clear run, nor a bespoke course when it's costing you absolutely no money. This is of course the nature of the beast with parkrun. You, I or anyone else have no business complaining that - for instance - walkers, or a congested part of the course, cost us a pb. That's what proper races are for.

davedanon wrote:
    It's essential to realise that parkrun is not a 'race', but a timed run. You can't expect a clear run, nor a bespoke course when it's costing you absolutely no money. This is of course the nature of the beast with parkrun. You, I or anyone else have no business complaining that - for instance - walkers, or a congested part of the course, cost us a pb. That's what proper races are for.

Good point and 100% agree. It certainly wasn't my intention to complain. I'm delighted to see Parkrun doing so well in Limerick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

Sigh this is becoming a bit of a habit but Tramore Valley parkrun is cancelled once again next Sat :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

I see Catherina McKiernan made her parkrun debut in Malahide yesterday.

Nice to see another Irish Athletics Star joining in.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Skid X wrote: »
    I see Catherina McKiernan made her parkrun debut in Malahide yesterday.

Nice to see another Irish Athletics Star joining in.
    Yeah I saw her there. She flew around obviously. Saw her at the starting line and then the finish line, not so much in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Was up in Donegal at the weekend visiting inlaws. So we headed into Parkrun Letterkenny for a run about. It was enjoyable, especially around the town park. Bit of height and climbing in it too, they would be used to that in Donegal!! My only crib really was that we couldn't hear a word of the race director at the start as her voice was too low and also from people chatting. So we didn't really know the route or how many laps to do, but we weren't going to be first finishers for sure so we could follow on anyway!! Will defo do it again next time we are about.

Yeah, I got confused last week at Letterkenny. Leader was out of sight and I had no one near me in second, so I took a wrong turn the second time around the top section. A lot of walkers taking part.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Out of curiousity, does interest in the Park Run usually drop out in February? Of 145 people when I started a few weeks ago, it was about half last Saturday.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Itzy wrote: »
    Out of curiousity, does interest in the Park Run usually drop out in February? Of 145 people when I started a few weeks ago, it was about half last Saturday.

New Year's Resolution hopefuls giving up the ghost I would say. They might re-appear when it warms up a bit :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Week 9 or 10 of the year usually sees some new faces too as the folk who stick with the couch to 5k program from the new years resolution do their first 'race'*

* yes I know it isn't a race :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

edisonolmy wrote: »
    Yeah, I got confused last week at Letterkenny. Leader was out of sight and I had no one near me in second, so I took a wrong turn the second time around the top section. A lot of walkers taking part.

I was second finisher in a parkrun this weekend, with first out of sight but I knew where I was going for this one. Third finisher didn't though and had only done 2 of the 3 laps before peeling off to the finish straight and followed me across the line. Queue a miffed 4th finisher who was then wondering where this other guy had appeared from when he crossed the line. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

robinph wrote: »
    I was second finisher in a parkrun this weekend, with first out of sight but I knew where I was going for this one. Third finisher didn't though and had only done 2 of the 3 laps before peeling off to the finish straight and followed me across the line. Queue a miffed 4th finisher who was then wondering where this other guy had appeared from when he crossed the line. :)

luckily it wasn't a race ;)

• Advertisement

I was 4th in Tymon last week, but was given token no.6 when I finished. when I queried it I was told that some people had managed, probably inadvertently, to cut the course. However the result online was correct, so I was happy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Peterx wrote: »
    luckily it wasn't a race ;)

You have to concentrate when talking about parkrun to make sure that you only ever refer to first finisher, second finisher etc and never winning or places. :D

You have to concentrate when talking about parkrun to make sure that you only ever refer to first finisher, second finisher etc and never winning or places. :D

Or 'competition'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

In case anyone is watching Operation Transformation tonight, Fr Collins park run will be featured on the programme from last Saturday week.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

That annoys me a bit - you can't have a winner, and it's not a race; but there's a table for first finishers, it's over a set distance, you get a time and placing, a new PB is celebrated on the results page, you get more points the higher up the placings you finish, ................ but it's not a race. It's just a run - why the pedantics?
    Personally - I race that distance every time I do it - not very fast, but it's a race for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

That annoys me a bit - you can't have a winner, and it's not a race; but there's a table for first finishers, it's over a set distance, you get a time and placing, a new PB is celebrated on the results page, you get more points the higher up the placings you finish, ................ but it's not a race. It's just a run - why the pedantics?
    Personally - I race that distance every time I do it - not very fast, but it's a race for me.
    But do people pass much heed on them? I don't pay any attention to the first finishers at my local parkrun, they finish well ahead of me and are on their way home by the time I get to the finish. I concentrate on my own time, my own finishing, my own pb - trying to better myself. I find as a non competitive runner that it's like a race practice for me.

The point is that you are only racing yourself and the clock though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,362 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

The point is that you are only racing yourself and the clock though.

And that fcker who keeps finishing 30 seconds ahead of me. Oh, yes sir, we are in a very serious race, a duel that is going to grow ever more serious as the months go by. I call you Nemesis, and I will take you down.

Other guy may not be aware of any of this obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

And that fcker who keeps finishing 30 seconds ahead of me. Oh, yes sir, we are in a very serious race, a duel that is going to grow ever more serious as the months go by. I call you Nemesis, and I will take you down.

Other guy may not be aware of any of this obviously.

I'm sure that guy does my local parkrun as well. He's in the JM11-14 category yeah?

Having recently moved up from JM10?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

If you catch him, it was a race; if not, it was just a run. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement