Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

edisonolmy wrote: »
    I think it is possible to stay on the football pitches at Athlone isn't it? Run alongside the tarmac
    You can run along the edge of the pitches, although the first time I seen people do that I thought they were trying to take a short cut! You may have to cross the concrete very briefly on loops 3 & 4 to get from the pitch to the cross country trail.

Or you could just ditch the spikes and enjoy the Parkrun, muck included! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

Short spikes then... just endure the pain on the tarmac. Could you have an alternative course on a bad day - say 25 laps of the indoor track...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

With respect to the indoor track, I imagine it would be off limits to the Parkrun. As for the outdoor running track, I suppose it would be good if people could complete a bulk of the run on the pitch, the complete the remainder on the outdoor track, as the crowd have dispersed considerably so their not on top of each on the actual track.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BeenMadAgain

Short spikes then... just endure the pain on the tarmac. Could you have an alternative course on a bad day - say 25 laps of the indoor track...

25 laps would certainly make the funnel manager's job more, erm... , interesting... :eek:

The indoor track remark was clearly meant as a joke. Whenever Enniskillen was still at the Lakeland forum it once ran 12.5 laps of a cinder track as an alternative.

We're toying with the idea of having an alternative Stormont course that makes runners take on the big hill, over and over again.

• Advertisement

Sad to see Tramore Valley postponed indefinitely - Cork joins Harare and Reykjavik on the list of cities that had, and lost, parkruns

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Sad to see Tramore Valley postponed indefinitely - Cork joins Harare and Reykjavik on the list of cities that had, and lost, parkruns

Seems that Operation Transformation is the culprit here, or who ever decided to combine the two efforts. This should be mentioned on OT but I bet it won't be.

I hope other Park Runs are not impacted, but maybe next year they may have to consider whether to allow/encourage the OT participation.

I know in Marlay there have been some very busy days, with issues getting in and out of the car parks, I am sure that others saw big increases also.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Hi Cassie - TVp was always going to be well attended looking at the registrations pre - Operations Transformation it was consistently in the top 10 worldwide - fact is there is pent up demand in Cork for a parkrun ( small p always one word :-) ) O.T was I grant you a precipitating factor but it was going to grow to that size anyway . Other parkruns have grown and have been lucky to have landlords that saw the benefit to the local community and have worked with parkrun to solve the problem ... Cork City Council like the luddites they are have hid behind " Health and Safty" and done nothing ...you are talking about a council that has already conducted ( at taxpayers expense dont forget ) a feasibility study on pedestrian access to what they have billed as a "peoples park" which has cost us ...the taxpayer somewhere in the region of 3 million so far ... and the first regular event to use gets cancelled - what could have been a feather in the cap of CCC now looks like an unmitigated disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Any idea of location/route?? Would be nice to have an alternative..
    Wasn't a fan of the knocknacarra route but great work put in by the RD there.

Renville Park has been confirmed as the location.

It was originally considered for Parkrun but as it is quite car dependent it was ruled out initially and Knocknacarra went ahead. Now with the issues at Knocknacarra being prevalent Renville is back on stream as a release valve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭spaceylou

Seems that Operation Transformation is the culprit here, or who ever decided to combine the two efforts. This should be mentioned on OT but I bet it won't be.

I hope other Park Runs are not impacted, but maybe next year they may have to consider whether to allow/encourage the OT participation.

I know in Marlay there have been some very busy days, with issues getting in and out of the car parks, I am sure that others saw big increases also.

Surely increased participation is good? And much like gyms are super busy for the first few weeks of the year, most of the time it evens out to manageable levels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭CassieManson

spaceylou wrote:
    Surely increased participation is good? And much like gyms are super busy for the first few weeks of the year, most of the time it evens out to manageable levels.

Yes increased participation is great but most parks have a limit in terms of access and parking as well as impact to other users of the park. I don't think Tramore Valley is even open to the public yet but seems to have reached capacity. Am just very disappointed as I go to Cork regularly and it was great to have a park run in the city. Hopefully they will sort it out or find another location.

Is OT a walking initiative or running? We dont have it up here so curious. There appear to be a lot of walkers taking part in new parkruns in Ireland. We dont get many, if any, walkers in the north.

More generally, should walkers be encouraged to take part in an event aimed at runners?

I have no strong view either way. Be interested to hear what others think

Is Oranmore replacing Knocknacarra or will the latter remain? There was talk of Loughrea and Tuam at one stage too wasn't there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 liquid engineer

Is OT a walking initiative or running? We dont have it up here so curious. There appear to be a lot of walkers taking part in new parkruns in Ireland. We dont get many, if any, walkers in the north.

More generally, should walkers be encouraged to take part in an event aimed at runners?

I have no strong view either way. Be interested to hear what others think
    OT would be more walking than running, but some people do it as a couch to 5k type thing which aims to be jogging by the end of it.

In any case, walkers have always been welcome at parkruns. Despite the name, it isn't exclusively for runners.

What's going on in Falcarragh with all the unknowns - is it just people not registering, or is it an issue with a scanner?

I've often wondered what I'd do if a scanner failed on me - would I commit to manually inputting runner details? Our numbers are small enough, and we run two scanners, meaning failure would mean about 50-70 having to be inputted. I hope it never actually comes to that, although we did have to manually input a load on New Year because we only had 430 tokens and more than 500 runners.

What's going on in Falcarragh with all the unknowns - is it just people not registering, or is it an issue with a scanner?
    I'm guessing everyone just showed up because of the OT cameras last weekend... :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Sure the Camera man when he was in Athlone got nearly as much exercise as everyone else running around the place.

When I see a camera, I tend to avoid it. Never understood why people go mad for a camera.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

When I see a camera, I tend to avoid it. Never understood why people go mad for a camera.

I pretend like I haven't seen the camera or don't care, but I'm 100% trying to get a cool photo for my facebook page :pac:

I'll always give a photographer a thumbs up, however, and suck my belly in

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I pretend like I haven't seen the camera or don't care, but I'm 100% trying to get a cool photo for my facebook page :pac:

Absolutely spot on.

Over the last mile of London Marathon I'm not only trying to hang on to the pace for dear life, I'm also trying to make sure that I'm not dribbling, the guy in fancy dress isn't anywhere near me and I'm in the best position for when I run past the next photographer hidden behind the next advertising hoarding. It's tough to get all these things right.

I might smile occasionally for parkrun photographers, but it's rare. Getting a good looking photo from a parkrun is tricky as well. Although you'll not have to pay for it, you don't want to ruin an otherwise beautiful shot of a scenic backdrop with you running along in front gracefully with a daft thumbs up or wave.

The course at Stormont was designed with photographs of runners in mind. Originally it was to be the reverse of what it is now, but now you get shots of people running down the hill with parliament buildings in the background

https://www.facebook.com/stormontparkrun/photos_stream

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

robinph wrote: »
    ...you don't want to ruin an otherwise beautiful shot of a scenic backdrop with you running along in front gracefully with a daft thumbs up or wave.

Or re-arranging the junk...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

cjt156 wrote: »
    Or re-arranging the junk...

A lot of my pictures from one years London Marathon taken at several different locations had me either wiping my nose, or eating a gel. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

robinph wrote: »
    or eating a gel. :(

You're supposed to rip them open and drink the contents.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Good Time to interject this into the parkrun photo conversation....My son says I have 3 parkrun faces
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5QGMy5Bnw0

I've got great timing for the parkrun photos - the parkrun camera seems to only come out on the weekends that I'm NOT there! Hehe!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Is Oranmore replacing Knocknacarra or will the latter remain? There was talk of Loughrea and Tuam at one stage too wasn't there?

No both will remain.

One of the organisers who works with Knocknacarra is leading as RD for Oranmore. They discovered a lot of people travel from teh south side across so having them separate should ease the congestion and pressure on limited parking facilities in Knocknacarra.

Oranmore is also on the Dublin side of Galway - from a tourism point of view, which is good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Yintang

Hoping to finally get to do a parkrun this weekend! I'll likely head to Shanganagh. However, as I'll be going via public transport, I'm just wondering if there'll be a possibility to leave my warm jacket anywhere? I presume there are volunteers at the finish line, so could leave it there... Anyone familiar with this parkrun?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement