Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Parkrun..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cabaal wrote: »
    Kilkenny has been delayed until 11th October, course will be in Kilkenny Castle grounds

Fair play for setting it up.. Am interested in the process. Why the delay?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Murph_D wrote: »

Think it's on this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Bahanaman

Bahanaman wrote: »
    Think it's on this weekend.

Sorry! 11th October it is.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Murph_D wrote: »

am not involved in setting it up,
    Delay is apparently due to the backlog in Parkruns setting up right now, I guess they have to wait their turn?

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

My first Castlebar Park run today & really enjoyed it. Lovely course around Lough Lannagh, although that hill around 3k is a tester. Thanks to all the volunteers for an enjoyable morning!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭EMPM

I am registered for Parkrun and have done some in Marly, im heading up to Belfast at the weekend and am going to do one there. Does anybody know if i have to register seperately for that or will my existing registration do.

Thanks
    EMPM

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

EMPM wrote: »
    I am registered for Parkrun and have done some in Marly, im heading up to Belfast at the weekend and am going to do one there. Does anybody know if i have to register seperately for that or will my existing registration do.

existing reg is fine for any parkrun, anywhere

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭edisonolmy

I understand Vicarstown in Laois is also due to start on Oct 11. They created a FB page a few weeks ago but no detail on it at all yet. I'm not familiar with Vicarstown at all but am told the course will either cross or run alongside the grand canal.

slingerz wrote: »
    Most unique parkrun in the world commencing at the end of August.

Bere Island parkrun takes place on August 30th!

I ran the inaugural one. Spectacular views along the course but incredibly hilly. You seem to be slowly running uphill for the first 3.5k and then there's a very steep descent.

Definitely worth a visit once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭McWotever

Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

McWotever wrote: »
    Is Marlay Park Run short? My Garmin averages it at 4.95km. Would the forest part after the first lap have a bearing on a bad GPS signal and therefore make the course a bit short? Any thoughts?
    Nope. Pretty typical. Yes. Just make sure you don't take any short-cuts during the run. There are certain sections of a few of the Parkrun courses where it is quite possible to cut a corner and shorten the course. If someone ahead of you cuts the corner, you might be lead to believe that this is the official course, or might find it difficult to run the official line if other runners are taking a shorter route and blocking your path to the correct course. Happens frequently in road races too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Skid X

99% of the runners take a shortcut across the grass at the second corner in Marlay (after about 400 metres). They should be staying on the gravel.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 LiamMcC

McWotever wrote: »

Garmins and mobile phone's often measure Marlay parkrun short, we put this down to the tree cover, you will find that your Garmin will measure the course longer in winter when the leaves fall off the trees. While the course has been accurately measured and verified and is 5 km our response when asked is 'it's about 5km'.

We have moved finish line back lately to compensate for the first corner where you join the perimeter path around the concert field, which we now cut for safety reasons.

LiamMcC wrote: »
    Garmins and mobile phone's often measure Marlay parkrun short, we put this down to the tree cover, you will find that your Garmin will measure the course longer in winter when the leaves fall off the trees. While the course has been accurately measured and verified and is 5 km our response when asked is 'it's about 5km'.

We have moved finish line back lately to compensate for the first corner where you join the perimeter path around the concert field, which we now cut for safety reasons.

Good enough answer for me. The PB stands! Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 bisso

Same with Ardgillan, plenty of the route is on paths through the trees and there is always going to be a corner or two which could be cut. Must watch out for the course lengthening as the leaves fall off the trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,248 ✭✭✭slingerz

Question

In Dublin at the weekend and staying at the Red Cow, Relying on public transport to get around, what is the easiest parkrun to get to and how woudl i get to it i.e Luas etc?

slingerz wrote: »
    Question

In Dublin at the weekend and staying at the Red Cow, Relying on public transport to get around, what is the easiest parkrun to get to and how woudl i get to it i.e Luas etc?

Tymon Park and walking is probably the easiest way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Looks like Tymon is about 2.5 - 3 miles from Red Cow. So, I'd agree walk/jog or taxi are the best options.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,495 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

It's a pretty straight road from Red Cow to Tymon. When you see this T-Junction, just take a right and a left and you'll be at Tymon Park. The Parkrun starts at the opposite side of the Park though. 4km in total.

The gates to Tymon don't open until 10am and the run starts at 9:30am. They tell runners to access the park from the Basketball Arena in Tallaght and walk across the M50 footbridge.

There is probably a way into the park from St Jude's too, but they are now asking runners not to park in the GAA club.

• Advertisement

The Basketball arena car park is maybe 2 minutes further from the start line than the other car parks, and it is unused.
    The car parks at the GAA clubs and football clubs are used by those clubs. If they get pissed off at runners parking there and their members not being able to park there, they'll complain to the council and parkrun might be pulled from the park.

(the route that slingerz was directed along doesn't pass any locked gates, you can always run in from there)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

RayCun wrote: »
    The Basketball arena car park is maybe 2 minutes further from the start line than the other car parks, and it is unused.
    The car parks at the GAA clubs and football clubs are used by those clubs. If they get pissed off at runners parking there and their members not being able to park there, they'll complain to the council and parkrun might be pulled from the park.

(the route that slingerz was directed along doesn't pass any locked gates, you can always run in from there)

The Basketball arena carpark is actually the exact same distance as the GAA carparks from the startline. About 400m.

menoscemo wrote: »
    The Basketball arena carpark is actually the exact same distance as the GAA carparks from the startline. About 400m.

The real problem is that car park is on the wrong side of the M50 :-)

RayCun wrote: »
    The real problem is that car park is on the wrong side of the M50 :-)

The wrong side for yellow and green clad joggers anyway ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

Amazing run in Marlay today, seems the number of runners is growing every time.
    Wonderful day (and eventho I didn't cut a single corner, still 4.96 😅) and very supportive volunteers

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭PVincent

That's actually a low number for MARLAY.

???
    PVincent wrote: »
    That's actually a low number for MARLAY.

Hani Kosti wrote: »
    ???

:confused::confused::confused:
    He means there are normally more participants I would assume.

menoscemo wrote: »
    :confused::confused::confused:
    He means there are normally more participants I would assume.

Most I've seen this year... anyhow, great day today

• Advertisement

Kilkenny page is now live on the parkrun website. One small lap of the grass area in front of the castle followed by two laps of the outer loop through the forested area. October 11.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement