Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Pawwed Rig wrote:
    Happy Christmas parkrunners. Anyone partaking today? We're heading to UL to clear a bit of space for extra mince pies later

Did Waterstown this morning. Lovely morning but very icy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Did Malahide meself. Great start to the day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,324 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cold morning in Limerick with the car measuring -1 degree around the campus. I understand that some of the organisers threw down some salt on the slippy areas prerun. With that in mind I took it handy. Thanks to everyone for organising.

• Registered Users Posts: 560 ✭✭✭sonyvision

Ran Clonmel this morning first time here. Pretty cold but nice turn out approx 90 runners/walkers

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

sonyvision wrote:
    Ran Clonmel this morning first time here. Pretty cold but nice turn out approx 90 runners/walkers

Nice turnout alright. Was around 1C. Small bit icy, but not too bad. Only my second time doing the blueway course. Nicer course than the old race course one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Cold morning in Limerick with the car measuring -1 degree around the campus. I understand that some of the organisers threw down some salt on the slippy areas prerun. With that in mind I took it handy. Thanks to everyone for organising.

Nice fresh morning for it, really enjoyed it. Was nervous on the first lap but conditions were good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭opus

371 showed up in Ballincollig, +70 over last year. Imagine the 400 barrier will be broken next year at that rate. Little bit of ice on the path so people had to either take it easy or move onto the grass.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Happy Christmas parkrunners. Anyone partaking today? We're heading to UL to clear a bit of space for extra mince pies later :)

I did Wexford Racecourse. It was nice. About 90 runners. I didn't find it cold at all. A great way to start Xmas. There was a lot of tourists there.

I'm considering going to Inch on saturday. It's a 7 hour roundtrip though. It's all run on sand, isn't it? I presume it us usually where the sand is at it's hardest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm considering going to Inch on saturday. It's a 7 hour roundtrip though. It's all run on sand, isn't it? I presume it us usually where the sand is at it's hardest?

I haven't ran on Inch but over 50% of my running is on Portmarnock beach and what I find with sand is its unpredictability, ie where is was hard yesterday might be super soft today.

If the tide has just gone out it'll be hard, but probably lots of ripples. If Inch is a regular I'm guessing the tide doesn't come in very far so this might not happen and they might have a regular hard, even 5km of beach.

I also never set a target pace on sand due to it being so unpredictable. My recovery time is slower after sand too, bear that in mind if you're going to have a long time home on tired & heavy legs.

Best of luck with Inch, I love beach runs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭positron

Always wondered how beach parkruns works, considering the tide, the wind and the feel of the sand etc.

PS: I personally think Laytown/Bettystown should have a beach parkrun, plenty of room, plenty of parking and nearest parkruns (Oldbridge, Ardgillan, Donabate, Navan) are all 15-20 kms away or more.

positron wrote: »
    Always wondered how beach parkruns works, considering the tide, the wind and the feel of the sand etc.

PS: I personally think Laytown/Bettystown should have a beach parkrun, plenty of room, plenty of parking and nearest parkruns (Oldbridge, Ardgillan, Donabate, Navan) are all 15-20 kms away or more.

You could always try set one up !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Have only ran it the once but will be doing it again for the NYD. It was hard packed sand when I ran it and I didn't really notice any difference between running on tarmac. You can pretty much choose where on the beach you want to run as the start line is a long line at right angles to the beach. Wind might be an issue if it's a breezy day.
    A 7 hour roundtrip is quite a commitment to parkrun tourism. Kudos!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

Tyrrelstown is off tomorrow - no access to carpark &
    Darndale is also off - flooding.

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Have only ran it the once but will be doing it again for the NYD. It was hard packed sand when I ran it and I didn't really notice any difference between running on tarmac. You can pretty much choose where on the beach you want to run as the start line is a long line at right angles to the beach. Wind might be an issue if it's a breezy day.
    A 7 hour roundtrip is quite a commitment to parkrun tourism. Kudos!

It looks like I'll be down in Clare on New Year's Eve so it will (only) be 5 and a half hours!

Inch for 100. Tralee for 101. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Did Inch this morning, the surface was very similar to road running but the wind was fairly noticeable on the way out alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,120 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Thanks for the suggestions. We've come to a loose agreement: she'll do Christmas Day in Waterstown, and we'll do our 50th together in Waterford the day before our anniversary.

The couple that parkruns together stays together. :)

All went pearshaped in the end. She got sick and stayed in bed, and I ran the GOAL mile.

Did my 50th this morning in Waterford.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    All went pearshaped in the end. She got sick and stayed in bed, and I ran the GOAL mile.

Did my 50th this morning in Waterford.

Nice way to finish off the decade, congrats :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Nice way to finish off the decade, congrats :)

How the Garmin hold up?

OOnegative wrote: »
    How the Garmin hold up?

Oh, great thanks.

I used it on my swim last night too and it recorded 1300m which was about right. There was a little lag in the swim data, it takes maybe 30 seconds after a set to record the laps but its acceptable.

I'll be honest about something.. I got so tied up in knots trying to programme it that I gave up and gave it to a training partner who had my running, swimming and cycling profiles programmed in probably one minute.

I'm really chuffed with the swim profile (yes guys I'm aware its a parkrun thread :p ) .. I totally took the guesswork out of my workout.

I'd still like the watch face to be a little bigger for clarity. I'm really impressed with the connectivity between the watch, Garmin Connect and Strava, its almost instant (my Polar could take a lot of effort to do the same).

Anyone wondering what the story is here, I was having awful problems setting up my new Garmin 735XT in another thread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 5th wheel

Meath County Board and Star of the Sea AC use to run an event on beach in Mornington every year. I think it was around 2 mile or so and a barbique after

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Rub a Dub

Not sure if posted already but the Christmas Day and New Year's Day parkruns are posted on this page.
    https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/
    I'm really looking forward to doing the double on NYD. Something different. I was going to do Father Collins then St.Annes, but I've settled on Bushy then Tymon park. I've done both of them once before when I first started Parkrunning, with fairly slow times. Hopefully I'll beat the times and PB on both courses. That's the plan anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Rub a Dub wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to doing the double on NYD. Something different. I was going to do Father Collins then St.Annes, but I've settled on Bushy then Tymon park. I've done both of them once before when I first started Parkrunning, with fairly slow times. Hopefully I'll beat the times and PB on both courses. That's the plan anyway...
    Ive gone for the Fr Collins / St Anne's option. First timer at both so guaranteed 2 PBs. First time doing the NYDD too.

I alternate between Father Collins, St.Annes and Malahide.

But I'm coming off a 24 hour duty New Years Day morning so I'm waiting to see how tired I am as to whether I do both.

Given the sudden and very sad death of a regular runner and volunteer and both Father Collins and St. Anne's on Saturday 28th I'd expect the both to be a little emotional for the all.

Hopefully see a few of you at both.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

I alternate between Father Collins, St.Annes and Malahide.

But I'm coming off a 24 hour duty New Years Day morning so I'm waiting to see how tired I am as to whether I do both.

Given the sudden and very sad death of a regular runner and volunteer and both Father Collins and St. Anne's on Saturday 28th I'd expect the both to be a little emotional for the all.

Hopefully see a few of you at both.

AFAIK, St Anne's is going to go ahead as a memorial event for them. Very sad to hear about it. I suspect that there will be a very good attendance at St Anne's for that reason

But I'm coming off a 24 hour duty New Years Day morning so I'm waiting to see how tired I am as to whether I
    You are an old skin in there now, how did you get caught for new years eve? ;)

Rub a Dub wrote: »
    You're an old skin in there now, how did you get caught for new years eve? ;)

I'm not one for NYE celebrations so I volunteer for NYE every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

The Core team at Father Collins parkrun have decided to have no event on the 4th of January due to the funeral taking place of our friend, parkrunner and volunteer Maeve Devlin .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Think I’ll do River Valley/ Raheny double tomorrow. Great way to start the new year.

• Advertisement

That was a great morning. I'd say Bushy & Tymon had their highest attendances to date... or very close. Over 400 for each.Well done to everyone who did one run or the double today. Excellent start to the new year.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement