Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Parkrun double on NYD: the best recipe to miss January through injury (if your lucky to avoid a car crash rushing between venue 1 and 2).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Parkrun double on NYD: the best recipe to miss January through injury (if your lucky to avoid a car crash rushing between venue 1 and 2).

Depends on how fit you are really. If your max distance is 5k then trying to run 10 out of the blue isn't best idea in the world. If you are used to longer distances and pace yourself appropriately then their shouldn't be any issue.
    Alot of folk jog from Anne's to Collins for this run (or vice versa) so may do 15-20k on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

ultrapercy wrote: »

Seriously? Two 5ks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Depends on how fit you are really. If your max distance is 5k then trying to run 10 out of the blue isn't best idea in the world. If you are used to longer distances and pace yourself appropriately then their shouldn't be any issue.
    Alot of folk jog from Anne's to Collins for this run (or vice versa) so may do 15-20k on the day.

A nice approx 4k run from Stormont to Orangefield in Belfast for anyone wanting to do similar North of the border

*plugplugplug*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Does anyone here keep a record of median finish time averages for your local parkrun?
    It's documented by parkrun themselves as steadily increasing over the years across the board(which they are fine with), are any local runs bucking this trend?
    I do see Marlay Park despite very large numbers appears to be a couple of minutes under the national average for Ireland.
    Have the Operation transformation and Parkwalk times skewed the figures that much?
    Do people keep records on averages from March - December vs Jan - March to get a truer picture of the health of the nation?

UK averages and increase over time:
    Db5Lt2LXkAAo3hj.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Does anyone know when Shannon Co. Clare parkrun starts up?
    I saw that they were looking for volunteers recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Fraggle07 wrote: »

No confirmed date. Hope this gets off the ground, they probably are trying to gather a core team who are prepared to take it on.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Here's hoping.

Any Xmas day ones on in Clare/Limerick?

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Fraggle07

Limerick UL is listed for Xmas day

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I was surprised that I heard about this potential new event from a non running source rather than on here, hopefully it gets up and running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Will run wexford tomorrow. Aiming to.do this everytime I visit my dad. Not the fastest but a good run out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Limerick UL is listed for Xmas day

So is Malahide :D

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Will run wexford tomorrow. Aiming to.do this everytime I visit my dad. Not the fastest but a good run out

Hope you made it down & enjoyed it. Was lovely there today.

Plenty of cakes too to treat everyone too.

Wexford will be on Christmas Day @ 9:30 if you are down too. Mulled fruit punch & minced pies are rumoured to be there if you've been good boys & girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Had a rib injury so missed the last 4 parkruns. Hate missing them.
    Should be back to do malahide on Christmas morning.

Well I got my 50th T-shirt out for its maiden parkrun, so parkrun #51 @ St.Annes this morning.

498139.jpg

I'm not saying which one of the two 50's T-shirts I am, but I like the guys Led Zeppelin & Judo leg tattoo's :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Hope you made it down & enjoyed it. Was lovely there today.

Plenty of cakes too to treat everyone too.

Wexford will be on Christmas Day @ 9:30 if you are down too. Mulled fruit punch & minced pies are rumoured to be there if you've been good boys & girls.

My dad woke up sick so spent time at the caredoc. Perfect day for it even no breeze when out in cross town. Will be other times

My dad woke up sick so spent time at the caredoc. Perfect day for it even no breeze when out in cross town. Will be other times

Sorry to hear that. Hope he makes a quick recovery. Horrible bugs going around the past few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,132 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Well I got my 50th T-shirt out for its maiden parkrun, so parkrun #51 @ St.Annes this morning.

498139.jpg

I'm not saying which one of the two 50's T-shirts I am, but I like the guys Led Zeppelin & Judo leg tattoo's :D

Well done. I did my 49th today. The wife was ahead of me for ages, but has missed several weeks through illness, so do I just go ahead and do my 50th ahead of her or what? She's only one behind. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Well done. I did my 49th today. The wife was ahead of me for ages, but has missed several weeks through illness, so do I just go ahead and do my 50th ahead of her or what? She's only one behind. :)

I'd say it depends on how comfortable your couch is :D I think it would be nice to do it together.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

For the sake of 1 week I'd make it happen on the same time... unless she wants the glory of getting there first in which case you best trip over a kerb or something.

I synchronised my arbitrary 200th to coincide with the wifes 100th and the kids 75th time being pushed in the buggy once we realised that it was so close to happening anyway and was an excuse for some baked goods. Well out of sync now 2 years later.

I'm now just less than 4 years away from my next official milestone tshirt and already planning to try and match that up with an "official" milestone birthday. These things take planning.

• Advertisement

Volunteer until your numbers are matched and she's ready to run, then do a 50th double :D

Regards to your wife, I hope the new year brings her good health again. Merry Christmas :D

Volunteer next week and do a double with your wife :)

Thanks for the suggestions. We've come to a loose agreement: she'll do Christmas Day in Waterstown, and we'll do our 50th together in Waterford the day before our anniversary.

The couple that parkruns together stays together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Name Changed

I'm trying to complete the alphabet next year. 4 left, I U Y and Z.

Inch will be done, hopefully just after xmas.

U? Has anyone done Uppsala in Sweden? The city seems to as close to Stockholm airport as Stockholm is.

Y? York or Yeovil ? Has anyone done either and can recommend ?

Z? I've booked a weekend in Gdansk. There seems to be one called Zamek which is run in Malbork Castle. It looks amazing. Has anyone done that? I presume über is best bet from Gdansk down to the castle.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭ISOP

I'm trying to complete the alphabet next year. 4 left, I U Y and Z.

Inch will be done, hopefully just after xmas.

U? Has anyone done Uppsala in Sweden? The city seems to as close to Stockholm airport as Stockholm is.

Y? York or Yeovil ? Has anyone done either and can recommend ?

Z? I've booked a weekend in Gdansk. There seems to be one called Zamek which is run in Malbork Castle. It looks amazing. Has anyone done that? I presume über is best bet from Gdansk down to the castle.
    I have done Yeovil Montacute, it is set on big estate in Somerset with a huge period house as a backdrop, it was absolutely stunning when I visited in the summer, undulating course

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not sure if posted already but the Christmas Day and New Year's Day parkruns are posted on this page.
    https://www.parkrun.ie/special-events/

• Registered Users Posts: 47 An tAlbanach

Thanks for the suggestions. We've come to a loose agreement: she'll do Christmas Day in Waterstown, and we'll do our 50th together in Waterford the day before our anniversary.

The couple that parkruns together stays together. :)

How many years married?
    You'll enjoy Waterford. Lots of PBs had there recently.

How many years married?
    You'll enjoy Waterford. Lots of PBs had there recently.

30 years together but only 10 married.

Looking forward to just getting away now.

Happy Christmas parkrunners. Anyone partaking today? We're heading to UL to clear a bit of space for extra mince pies later :)

• Advertisement

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Happy Christmas parkrunners. Anyone partaking today? We're heading to UL to clear a bit of space for extra mince pies later :)

Heading to Clonmel to work up an appetite

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement