Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

diego_b wrote: »
    Thanks, yeah was looking at Fairview as well too.
    Coming from the city centre so was looking to see could I squeeze in one before heading out to the airport so the one in Swords doesn't really work for me I think. Not familiar with the area either!

If you can make it to Father Collins I've to drive to Blanchardstown after parkrun, I can drop you off at the airport.

The problem is I'm timekeeper tomorrow so I've to stay to the very end so it would be close to 11am when you're getting to the airport.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think the Limerick parkrun at UL tomorrow is the 200th at that venue. They're hoping to have over 200 runners at it to mark the occasion.

There might even be cake afterwards! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

If you can make it to Father Collins I've to drive to Blanchardstown after parkrun, I can drop you off at the airport.

The problem is I'm timekeeper tomorrow so I've to stay to the very end so it would be close to 11am when you're getting to the airport.

That's very kind of you now, thanks for that offer. I'll send you a pm in the morning if I'm heading your way!
    Ye are spoiled in Dublin with the amount of parkruns, normally in Kerry I'm choosing between Tralee (usually go that way on a Sat morning anyways) or else Listowel...I'm around 20 mins drive from both but opposite directions. It's been fun looking the logistics of the various different ones now and where they are!

I think the Limerick parkrun at UL tomorrow is the 200th at that venue. They're hoping to have over 200 runners at it to mark the occasion.

There might even be cake afterwards! :D

I keep meaning to make the UL parkrun simply because Limerick is my favorite city to visit and I've a bed in Sarsfield barracks so I can head down some Friday evening.

Have a great 200th :D

Oh, I got my 50th parkrun T-shirt in the post during the week, I think I'd only a two week wait for it.

I gave it its first run out last night :D

497010.jpg

I'm just run volunteer roles off my 25th volunteer T-shirt now :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

ariana` wrote:
    Thank you... Think i may have had the kids at the playground in Mungret in the past... Or maybe i am thinking of Cratloe Anyhow, thanks good information, i like the sound of a cafe

Having run UL parkrun and done Mungret every week in training I'd pick Mungret any day of the week. I'm not a big fan of the congestion along the river bank at UL. I like the park in Mungret. Nice and open and handy playground for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

I recently got a 50th parkrun top. Parkrun make a lot of noise about clothing but the quality of my top is poor, threads coming out of it and looking a bit worn despite little use.

I would love to see better sizes across clothing brands. Why isn't there a short or long size like you have with some trousers. So much clothing must be wasted because of poor sizing.

I recently got a 50th parkrun top. Parkrun make a lot of noise about clothing but the quality of my top is poor, threads coming out of it and looking a bit worn despite little use.

I would love to see better sizes across clothing brands. Why isn't there a short or long size like you have with some trousers. So much clothing must be wasted because of poor sizing.

That's a pity, my T-shirt is every bit as good (if not better) than a lot of my race shirts which I paid money for.. You should demand a refund :P (sorry, couldn't resist).

The size is probably a little long for some people, but I've a fairly big back, shoulders and chest and often find when I order a 2XL (to fit my thick upper body) that they're made for beer bellies and swing loose on me, this fits great.

But honestly and all joking aside, I'm really happy with the quality of mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Of the Dublin parkruns, which one do we think is quickest to get to the airport from via public transport? I think maybe Poolbeg, where you can walk across the Eastlink and pick up the 747 bus from near the Point/3Arena.

River valley or poppintree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Lying here with a bit of a cold doing the will I / won’t I debate in my head!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Firstly thanks for all the tips here, knew it was the best place to ask for suggestions! I had a late change of mine last night and decided on Malahide, the ease of the Dart and location of the stop was a kicker for me. It being the home of parkrun in the republic had it always on the to do list. Met a club mate from home out there as well so that was nice. Few chat beforehand and after with the volunteers including the run director, M of these parts. A grand run now, finished around 22:32 or so. parkrun fresh now on the 102 bus to the airport now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    Lying here with a bit of a cold doing the will I / won’t I debate in my head!

No excuses. Get out and do it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Cloudio9

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    No excuses. Get out and do it

I did and actually felt pretty good out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Progression Parkrun for me today. I loved every minute of it. It was a brilliant experience. Everybody was extremely friendly and it was great to be a part of something unique and rewarding for them. Counting 7 and a half laps in your head wasn't easy though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Cloudio9 wrote: »
    I did and actually felt pretty good out there.

Half the effort if the run is done just by getting to the park :) well done.

KJ wrote: »
    Progression Parkrun for me today. I loved every minute of it. It was a brilliant experience. Everybody was extremely friendly and it was great to be a part of something unique and rewarding for them. Counting 7 and a half laps in your head wasn't easy though.

I've a place booked for next June (there's a long waiting list), really looking forward to it as I've heard nothing but positive things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭RunnerDub

KJ wrote: »

Agree 100% done it myself in October, Got speaking to one of the inmates who told me, he was planning on running a full marathon on the same course, starting the same time as the DCM, Got an update email from progression to say he finished it in 3 hrs 4 mins. Over 70 laps I think WOW.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

Is there anywhere to check on what new parkruns are starting up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Mallow Town parkrun for me this morning, I wasn't sure what to expect as the route was 1 lap, an out and back and another lap but it was really lovely. The laps are mostly cross country (muddy in the rain no doubt...) and the out and back was along the Blackwater River and railway, really enjoyable. Weather was perfect too. Low numbers though which is a pity but thoroughly enjoyable.

#98 for me, all going well I hope to be doing my 100th on 21st December in Cabinteely.

RunnerDub wrote: »
    Agree 100% done it myself in October, Got speaking to one of the inmates who told me, he was planning on running a full marathon on the same course, starting the same time as the DCM, Got an update email from progression to say he finished it in 3 hrs 4 mins. Over 70 laps I think WOW.

I was talking to that guy today. 63 laps I think he said it was. He said he got presented with the Dublin marathon medal as well which was cool. He's very fast. I came in second behind him today. He beat me by 2 and a half minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Omeceron wrote: »
    Is there anywhere to check on what new parkruns are starting up?

They send an email out every Thursday, at the end of it, it says the new ones that are starting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

How do you go about booking a spot in progression?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,337 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Lazare wrote: »
    How do you go about booking a spot in progression?

Email parkrun Ireland. It's booked up until next August now apparently

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

I still can't see the attraction at all.
    Different strokes for different folks n' all that, but jeez, it's the last place I'd want to do a Parkrun.
    For me it's all about being out in a nice park, feeling free!
    I suppose it's like a novelty or something.
    Are there any other Parkruns in Ireland like this with restricted access?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thegreek

Of the Dublin parkruns, which one do we think is quickest to get to the airport from via public transport? I think maybe Poolbeg, where you can walk across the Eastlink and pick up the 747 bus from near the Point/3Arena.

Make no mistake River Valley is the closest to the Airport by road. If you own a helicopter and can get flight clearance then Poppintree. It's a bit of a shame but if there was better public transport and the western entrance to the park for Darndale that would be closer than River Valley.

For Poolbeg or Fairview or any other suggestions you have to factor in the distance to the transport and then the time for the transport. For instance the 102 bus from Malahide that will take you to the Airport takes almost an hour on a good day to get to the Airport.

The Stop for the 102 is 200m from the finish line of River Valley. The 102 from River VAlley to the Airport takes at most 15 minuts. Getting to the start is relatively simple either get a 41c from town or any bus that takes you to the Airport and get a 102. Both the 102 and 41c stop outside the park for River Valley close to the finish where we gather before making our way to the start.

I know all of this is completely useless to you as it was last Saturday but just putting it up for anyone else who needs it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Different strokes for different folks n' all that, but jeez, it's the last place I'd want to do a Parkrun.

Kind of agree on this.

I can see the interest in doing a prison event for the novelty of it, but as they say on WMN podcast whenever it come up people should only be doing them if they have something to offer. They are not there as a tourist attraction.

But I'm not entirely sure what it is that any particular individual can offer as a benefit of going to do a prison parkrun. But at the same time there is 100% a benefit to the prison parkruns in other parkrunners going and participating in their events as it shows that "normal" people go and do these runs on a weekly basis and so provides a link between the prison event and the outside world. Not meaning that there is any personal link, just that seeing that other people do these events and they exist around the country and are a great social event. There is nothing that makes person A more useful than person B though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Didn't realise people were so mad about getting different letters for parkruns 'til I mentioned to a few friends that I was going to check out the new parkrun that had started recently near my friend's house in Germany. They went apesh*t when I told them the name - Ziegelwiese :) Up 'til now the only option was Küchenholz near Leipzig which I'd done a few times.

So yes I now have added a 'z' to my parkrun alphabet!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'm the opposite. I've 53 parkruns done, and 52 of them have been in the same place. :pac:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

opus wrote: »
    Didn't realise people were so mad about getting different letters for parkruns 'til I mentioned to a few friends that I was going to check out the new parkrun that had started recently near my friend's house in Germany. They went apesh*t when I told them the name - Ziegelwiese :) Up 'til now the only option was Küchenholz near Leipzig which I'd done a few times.

So yes I now have added a 'z' to my parkrun alphabet!

You probably missed the outrage when one of the Polish events changed from beginning with a Z to a Z with some king of accent over it and messed up them getting a badge on the Chrome Extension. :D

• Advertisement

I don't think it's just a novelty. When I first signed up there was a bit of that aspect but after being there and seeing how much the prisoners get from it and how excited they were to see and talk to new people I felt that they got more form it than I did. With that in mind, I signed up again for next August.

Anyway, when you run Dundalk every week, a prison is almost a step up :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement