Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

KJ wrote: »
    I don't think it's just a novelty. When I first signed up there was a bit of that aspect but after being there and seeing how much the prisoners get from it and how excited they were to see and talk to new people I felt that they got more form it than I did. With that in mind, I signed up again for next August.

That is fantastic, and that you have put yourself forward to go again shows that it's not just a box ticking exercise for you. Going again I think makes you a more valuable visitor to that event.

I think we need to be very careful about the language used discussing prison parkruns that people with less knowledge of parkrun and the reasons behind the prison events existing don't view it as a novelty or box ticking exercise. Thankfully on here we can have more civilised discussions on such topics than in certain other online spaces.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

KJ wrote: »
    Anyway, when you run Dundalk every week, a prison is almost a step up :D

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Email parkrun Ireland. It's booked up until next August now apparently

I got my confirmation email confirming a place in June, and that was a month ago.

But they do get cancellations, I was offered one two weeks ago but I was coming off a night shift in work and you've to arrive at the prison an hour before the run for security checks and briefing so I couldn't take it.

I'm looking forward to it, I've only heard very positives things about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

you've to arrive at the prison an hour before the run for security checks and briefing so I couldn't take it

You only have to be there for 9am.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

AFAIK, St Anne's and Father Collins parkruns have done the New Years Day Double for the past 4 years at least. Anyone on here in the know as to whether they will be doing it this year, neither have declared on the parkrun Christmas Compendium page??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭py

Duzzie wrote: »
    AFAIK, St Anne's and Father Collins parkruns have done the Near Years Day Double for the past 4 years at least. Anyone on here in the know as to whether they will be doing it this year, neither have declared on the parkrun Christmas Compendium page??

Might be worth dropping both core teams an email to see what their plans are. You should find the email addresses on both parkrun sites on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

AFAIK, St Anne's and Father Collins parkruns have done the New Years Day Double for the past 4 years at least. Anyone on here in the know as to whether they will be doing it this year, neither have declared on the parkrun Christmas Compendium page??

Cut off to decide is next Tues (17th) so they might still be mulling it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

py wrote: »
    Might be worth dropping both core teams an email to see what their plans are. You should find the email addresses on both parkrun sites on the website.

I've PM'd one of the RD's with a link to the thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

They announced last week that it is yet to be confirmed but Collins is planned to be at 9:30 with Anne's on later this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Parkruns can only go ahead on these days if there is enough volunteers willing to support on the day. That could be why they are waiting on making the call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Still awaiting permits, should know for sure today .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    They announced last week that it is yet to be confirmed but Collins is planned to be at 9:30 with Anne's on later this time.

HURRAYYY!! As St Anne's has the cafe for after.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

AlFoley wrote: »
    Still awaiting permits, should know for sure today .

What is the process out of interest? Do you need council permission everytime it is not on a Saturday at 9:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Yep that's exactly right.
    Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    What is the process out of interest? Do you need council permission everytime it is not on a Saturday at 9:30?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,385 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Confirmed Fr.Collins/StAnnes double
    https://facebook.com/events/514911602431849/?ti=icl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

robinph wrote: »
    That is fantastic, and that you have put yourself forward to go again shows that it's not just a box ticking exercise for you. Going again I think makes you a more valuable visitor to that event.

I think we need to be very careful about the language used discussing prison parkruns that people with less knowledge of parkrun and the reasons behind the prison events existing don't view it as a novelty or box ticking exercise. Thankfully on here we can have more civilised discussions on such topics than in certain other online spaces.

Some people think far too deeply about these things. Wtf is a 'valuable visitor'?

I would like to run it because it would be a novelty to run around the yard of Mountjoy prison.

What's wrong with that?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lazare

What is parkrun tourism if it's not box ticking anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Omeceron

For anyone in the midlands it is possible to do a New Years day double between Mountlucas at 9:30 and Kilcock or Vicarstown at 11:00.

Both are approx 40mins drive from Mountlucas.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭eoinín

Omeceron wrote: »
    For anyone in the midlands it is possible to do a New Years day double between Mountlucas at 9:30 and Kilcock or Vicarstown at 11:00.

Also, the "Deerpark Double" is a reality!

Deerpark Forest parkrun, Virginia, Cavan at 9.30, followed by Deerpark parkrun, Carlanstown, Meath at 11am, with a 19min drive in between.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭CassieManson

Bushy parkrun have announced a 9.30 run on New Year's Day

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,341 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

What's the green leaf symbol on the results page?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

What's the green leaf symbol on the results page?

First timer I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

Omeceron wrote: »

Another NYD double: Mullingar and then Longford at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 4,985 ✭✭✭opus

Surprise visitor at Glen River on Sat generated some good publicity for parkrun.

Sonia surprises runners at Cork Parkrun with unannounced appearance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

opus wrote: »
    Surprise visitor at Glen River on Sat generated some good publicity for parkrun.

Sonia surprises runners at Cork Parkrun with unannounced appearance

Nice one! My Parkrun PB still stands from a run with Sonia over 18 months ago... She's inspirational :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cheekypup

http://tailrun.uk/nyd/2020/ie/

Here's a link for anyone planning to do a parkrun double on New Year's Day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Annie get your Run

Another NYD double Cabinteely & Poolbeg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Clonmel are holding a Parkrun on Christmas Day at 9.30 and New Year’s Day at 11

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

parkrun Ireland country manager Matt Shields was a guest on Free Weekly Timed podcast last week. Interesting to hear how parkrun started in Ireland and his focus on walkers and health and well-being even though he is a very fast runner himself. Well worth a listen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

parkrun Ireland country manager Matt Shields was a guest on Free Weekly Timed podcast last week. Interesting to hear how parkrun started in Ireland and his focus on walkers and health and well-being even though he is a very fast runner himself. Well worth a listen.

He's a real gent, met him a couple of times. Handy sub 20 runner.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement