Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Nice and calm sunny weather this morning helped with reducing the wind resistance and I managed a new course buggy PB by 20 seconds. Mildly annoyed to not have gone another 2 seconds quicker and have snuck under 19 at another course, but have to be happy with that a week out from London.

Next week we practice our counting to five at Highbury Fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭chinguetti

Did Kilcock on the Royal Canal this morning and a lovely morning for it too. Nice course too but I find the out and back courses always seem so long compared to laps one even though they're not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Are the junior parkrun events running tomorrow (Easter Sunday)?

The Oranmore (Galway) one is going ahead. Maybe check your local parkrun Facebook to be 100% sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Dudda wrote: »
    Should be. Ours only stops if the route is flooded and impassable from the lake we circle. Nothing else seams to stop it. Check the local Facebook page if they have one.

I sent them a message on their Facebook page. Waiting to hear back.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Did the portobello run today just outside Edinburgh really nice spot. It's a three lapper but it's a nice park for a run. Some fast fast times there.

It was their 4th birthday and they were doing some awards they listed new age records from the last year and they had someone in the 70-74 age group do a time in the low 21s :eek:

Be delighted just to be able to run the whole thing at that age thats incredible!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I returned to St.Annes today, haven't been down there since the end of last summer. But with this weather I couldn't think of a nicer parkrun.

Glorious sunshine, great to be back in St.Annes and met a boardsie too :)

I love that 800m finish in St.Anne's, brilliant.

**Edit, just check my parkrun email PB today day!!.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Nice 1. Didn't see you there but it was a nice run this morning.
    One thing lead to another and I was still in the park in my running gear at 1pm :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Nice 1. Didn't see you there but it was a nice run this morning.
    One thing lead to another and I was still in the park in my running gear at 1pm :)

I was the most overdressed for the start. I'd arranged to meet someone there and told them I'd be wearing a red Run Republic fleece jacket, I was bloody sweltering and had to remove it but found her when I seen someone looking at boards.ie on their phone lol.

So if you seen me I was wearing a fleece and sweating buckets

It was great to be back in St.Anne's, defo my favorite parkrun.
    One thing lead to another and I was still in the park in my running gear at 1pm

I got a bit carried away like that on Thursday evening. Done a 10k wearing a backpack carrying my TRX straps, then went straight into TRX on the bars in Father Collins then noticed there's a hill from the bars to the path/bridge at the pond so decide between sets of TRX I'd do hill repeats!.

I was still feeling it in my legs this morning but it didn't seem to do me any harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Very strange lying in bed at 9:30 yesterday morning but a poorly yet good spirited child put paid to my parkrun this weekend. Usually we only seem to miss parkrun when we have something else on. Hubbie went and i quizzed him when he got home, how many were there, who was there, who was missing, any news, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 AliasME

I did Johnstown this weekend, there's no shelter at the race course so I struggled in the heat. I really miss the old location! Then we tried the new(ish) Heritage park junior which is a lovely course with a Cabinteely style hill three times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Did Glengarriff yesterday and I'll never complain about hills at other parkruns again. :eek:
    Next time I do Glengarriff though I'll bring crampons and ice axe. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Doing my 1st parkrun outside Ireland this weekend.
    Princes Park Liverpool.
    Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Doing my 1st parkrun outside Ireland this weekend.
    Princes Park Liverpool.
    Looking forward to it.

I’m sure you’re aware of this, but watch out for the earlier, 9am start at English Parkrun’s. Have a brilliant time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

I’m sure you’re aware of this, but watch out for the earlier, 9am start at English Parkrun’s. Have a brilliant time.

I am indeed. Which is handy as booted out of the Airbnb at 11 so gives me plenty of time to get back n shower n whatnot.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,295 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Planning to visit Vicarstown for a bit of Parkrun tourism on Saturday - can anyone tell me if it is buggy-friendly? Won't be running with the buggy, just speed walking I'd say :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

ionapaul wrote: »
    Planning to visit Vicarstown for a bit of Parkrun tourism on Saturday - can anyone tell me if it is buggy-friendly? Won't be running with the buggy, just speed walking I'd say :)

I’ve only done it once last summer and tbh i wouldn’t think so as it’s on the grass bank along the canal. Surface is good but would be bumpy for a buggy I’d think maybe if the wheels are large and your walk is not too brisk it might be okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Did Glengarriff yesterday and I'll never complain about hills at other parkruns again. :eek:
    Next time I do Glengarriff though I'll bring crampons and ice axe. :pac:

It's a tough cookie isn't it? Think it's the 3rd hardest in Ireland in terms of hills etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

What would numbers 1&2 be??

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Butterbeans

What would numbers 1&2 be??

Cabinteely (Dublin), Castle Demense (Cork) and Castlehaven (Cork) are ranked as being more hilly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Cabinteely (Dublin), Castle Demense (Cork) and Castlehaven (Cork) are ranked as being more hilly
    While objectively Cabinteely has more elevation that is mainly due to having to do the one hill 3 times so you do have a bit of recovery for each iteration.
    Glengarriff seems to reserve the most of its elevation for that hill at about the 4k mark so it's a lot steeper and you're probably a bit wrecked by the time you get to it anyway. So, subjectively speaking at least, it feels tougher.
    I haven't done Castle Demense or Castlehaven yet. No doubt they will be memorable experiences. :pac:

• Advertisement

I have done Cabinteely and River Valley is tougher as is Mungret imo

I have done Cabinteely and River Valley is tougher as is Mungret imo

I've not run any of them so I'm not speaking from experience. I was going off the link below in terms of elevation profile - I think it's about 18 months old or older so doesn't include Mungret and any of the more recently started parkruns.

That hill in River Valley looks like a beast!

https://jegmar.com/stats-hq/fastest-races/parkrun-ireland/

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Hesh's Umpire

Catherina McKiernan ran my local parkrun in Vicarstown last Saturday. It was great to say I ran against an Olympic athlete! Nice lady, stayed around for photos with everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

i would have both westport and sligo as easier runs than ballina, westport you get the benefit of a big run downhill, sligo i just dont find mentally as bad,that long uphill in the middle of ballina is a killer , its interesting that oldbridge and ballina are beside each other, ive done both a lot and i cant really split them in terms of times, i always thought oldbridge should be slightly easier / quicker but it never turns out that way .. will be heading for erriss soon though from looking at that table ..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The time I did Castle Demesne in Macroom it had the same hill 2 or 3 times I think. I also think there is a second mini hill in it that is done a couple of times, plus an uphill finish.

Westport is tough enough. Long down hill which you can start off too fast on and then you turn around and have that incline for over a mile. If you have the wind on the downhill against you, you lose some of the benefit.

St Anne's is probably one of the flattest I've done plus Longford.

Claremorris is a lovely flat one too but a tight start and a few turns.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

This Saturday Gorey parkrun says farewell to our home for the past 2 1/2 years as we relocate to the nearby Ramsfort Woods from the 4th May while Gorey Town Park is redeveloped. We will be sorry to say goodbye to the old park but we are also excited to see the relandscaped park and our very own coffee shop in the park. Anyone thinking about joining us at Gorey parkrun, please take note of our change in venue.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Wexford races are on this Saturday, so there will be no Johnstown park run.

Hoping to head up to Gorey Duzzie for your final one in the town park.

Similar to us, you are lucky to have an alternative location to move to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

Is knockanacree woods included in that review ? I would suspect its the toughest ? Hilly doesnt always mean harddest. My PB is ~20:30 on a flat course 4 minutes longer in knockanacree.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

YES, sorry. Forgot about Castlehaven. That's a very tough one. Pretty constant in terms of hills and a nice set of uphill steps before the finish. Didn't think steps were allowed on a parkrun course?

• Advertisement

cazzer22 wrote: »
    YES, sorry. Forgot about Castlehaven. That's a very tough one. Pretty constant in terms of hills and a nice set of uphill steps before the finish. Didn't think steps were allowed on a parkrun course?

I don't know the Castlehaven course at all but they don't mention anything about steps in the course description. Steps to finish sounds heart breaking or maybe it's to bring out the inner Rocky in you :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement