Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭crisco10

What is the story with milestone t-shirts these days?

I hit a milestone over the weekend, and when I logon it just says:
    You have earned your 50 T-shirt and will be able to claim it soon.
    Click here for more details.

And when I click "here", I get directed to an article from August 2018. Am I missing something?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

Also had a good day at junior parkrun yesterday. 8 year old and 5 year old both finished 2k without stopping - which is a massive deal to them. Younger one had a lot more energy left in her where as the older had to be encouraged a bit to not to stop. Finished around 14 minutes. 3 minute improvement over last attempt which was last year.

PS: Interesting that it's not a PB for the older one - she did a second faster at St Annes when her grand parents took her there, and she did that without anyone running with her. Hmmm...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,303 ✭✭✭positron

crisco10 wrote: »
    What is the story with milestone t-shirts these days?

I hit a milestone over the weekend, and when I logon it just says:

And when I click "here", I get directed to an article from August 2018. Am I missing something?

You will get an email when the t-shirt is ready (stocks available perhaps). I reached 50 last week and got the link on Friday. I was able to order a size L, but they don't have it in stock, expecting more stock by mid May.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The milestone links tend to take a few days before they are activated on your profile, and only then if they have "some" of that milestone tshirt in stock. If they don't have the size that you want though then you'll be able to state what size you are after and that then enables then to better predict the numbers of different sizes that they need to order in.

If your link becomes active, but you don't notice and 8 weeks passes before you try to claim then your link to claim will be disabled. Don't worry though, that is again just to help them with anticipating stock levels as lots of people never claim apparently. Just email them and they will re-activate your link so that you can claim your tshirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

positron wrote:
    You will get an email when the t-shirt is ready (stocks available perhaps). I reached 50 last week and got the link on Friday. I was able to order a size L, but they don't have it in stock, expecting more stock by mid May.

is there pacers at Fairview park run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 AlFoley

Zipppy wrote: »

Nope , St. Anne's does though .

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Royal Canal Parkrun kicking off this Saturday in Kilcock. Starting at the 14th Lock it looks like an out and back course along the canal greenway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

Royal Canal Parkrun kicking off this Saturday in Kilcock. Starting at the 14th Lock it looks like an out and back course along the canal greenway.

I've always thought Canal park runs would be great... was more thinking of one from phibsboro out to ashtown and back...but too busy a route I guess :(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

I've always thought Canal park runs would be great... was more thinking of one from phibsboro out to ashtown and back...but too busy a route I guess :(

Probably just that no one has tried to set one up. You could be the ED! Broombridge would be a problem though - road crossing would be necessary as the path under the bridge is way too narrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

Murph_D wrote: »
    Probably just that no one has tried to set one up. You could be the ED! Broombridge would be a problem though - road crossing would be necessary as the path under the bridge is way too narrow.

The path from cross guns up until where the rail line crosses is used by cars so not really suitable.

Plus it would pass around 300 metres to tolka valley. I doubt there are any park runs that close together.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,088 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Plus it would pass around 300 metres to tolka valley. I doubt there are any park runs that close together.

You'd be surprised.

There are a pair of events in South Africa which have their turn around points on oposite sides of a main road and the marshals can wave to each other, there is a photo of them somewhere online.

And possibly even closer (as the road is narrower) but not visible to each other is an event in a Young Offenders Institute that is the other side of a narrow road, and a big wall, from another event. They would almost certainly be able to hear each other if there were some lively cheering from one of the marshals.

Here you go, Atlasville and Homstead parkruns:

https://www.facebook.com/WithMeNowPodcast/photos/a.463132724153060/591440807988917/?type=3&theater

That is definitely within a "stones throw" of each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

We've often got pacers at Poolbeg.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Did my 50th Parkrun on Saturday last - beyond excited to wear it to my next Parkrun. Took way longer to get there than I would have thought but it was so worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

Did my 50th Parkrun on Saturday last - beyond excited to wear it to my next Parkrun.
    Not trying to dampen the enthusiasm but it will be at least May before you get the t-shirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

DeepBlue wrote: »
    Not trying to dampen the enthusiasm but it will be at least May before you get the t-shirt.

It will indeed. I hit 50 midway through Jan and I've still not gotten the tee. Latest date for restock is 29th April. It might differ depending on sizing though. I think I went for a Small

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,331 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Very surprised a city the size of Waterford doesn't already have a parkrun.
    Best of luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

DeepBlue wrote: »

Nope! It’s been delivered on Monday - it did say May when I ordered but it shipped immediately then

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Not sure if mentioned before here but there is a nice app in the play store called '5k Parkrun Results'.

It lets you add your favourite parkruns and look at results of each quickly.

It lets you add users so if you are competing against friends you can add them too and quickly see their latest results from whatever parkrun they have done.

It also has your parkrun number and barcode so if you forget your barcode or it doesn't scan you can find it there.

I like the way you can see all your latest runs and the amount of times you have volunteered, etc.

It is especially handy if you want to quickly flick between the latest results of the parkruns around you.

Only downloaded it recently so bear that in mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,128 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Ran Griffeen this morning. Due to an issue with the bottom bridge they rerouted us, adding on about 150-200m.

I was 2 mins slower than 2 weeks ago. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Ran the new Royal Canal Park run in Kilcock this morning, not normally a fan of out and back sections in races but have to say really works well along the canal. Wind was a bit of a pain on the way back tough!!

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

Wedding day Parkrun for happy couple... and 100 friends

Any stories of significant others meeting at parkrun here??

An ulterior motive for me when I started was meeting people at it but I'm fairly new to it still and the weather has generally been sh1t so everyone just bails, haven't really got chatting to anyone at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭seamusk84

Ran the new Royal Canal Park run in Kilcock this morning, not normally a fan of out and back sections in races but have to say really works well along the canal. Wind was a bit of a pain on the way back tough!!

Yup, a normal westerly breeze and we will get an assist for the way back! Nice route by the canal

vargoo wrote: »

Any stories of significant others meeting at parkrun here??

Didn't meet my SO there but have made great friends from it. I have a social circle now because of parkrun. I never had that before.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,330 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Edenderry in Offaly should do this. Lovely section of canal underutilised

Carlow Town parkrun is out and back along the Barrow, but is canal-like. Also, Mullingar parkrun is an out and back one too although, the out and back are not both along the canal.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

vargoo wrote: »
    An ulterior motive for me when I started was meeting people at it but I'm fairly new to it still and the weather has generally been sh1t so everyone just bails, haven't really got chatting to anyone at all!

I found I made much more friends from volunteering than from running. Especially since, I'm slow and everyone's usually gone by the time I cross the finish line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭KAGY

quickbeam wrote: »
    I found I made much more friends from volunteering than from running. Especially since, I'm slow and everyone's usually gone by the time I cross the finish line.

+1 for this, especially if it's a paired role like scanning or time keeping. Or on a pacer run, run/jog with a slower pacer so you can chat,

And most places go for coffee afterwards, normally just a core group and a few others but everyone's welcome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Did you know there is a parkrun podcast? Only came across it yesterday and a quick search of boards came back blank. It’s called Free Weekly Timed podcast and is like a parkrun fanclub. It’s hosted by Vassos from BBC radio 2. Each episode lasts 29 minutes (the average parkrun finish time). Ive only listened to first episode but it seems interesting. Happy listening!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement