Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭py

Did you know there is a parkrun podcast? Only came across it yesterday and a quick search of boards came back blank. It’s called Free Weekly Timed podcast and is like a parkrun fanclub. It’s hosted by Vassos from BBC radio 2. Each episode lasts 29 minutes (the average parkrun finish time). Ive only listened to first episode but it seems interesting. Happy listening!

Yup have been listening a while now, enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Did you know there is a parkrun podcast? Only came across it yesterday and a quick search of boards came back blank. It’s called Free Weekly Timed podcast and is like a parkrun fanclub. It’s hosted by Vassos from BBC radio 2. Each episode lasts 29 minutes (the average parkrun finish time). Ive only listened to first episode but it seems interesting. Happy listening!
    Yep it’s really good. There’s another one called With Me Now which is presented by those who did the original show The parkrun Show years ago. That one is a bit longer, most episodes over an hour so I don’t really got as much time to listen to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Quick question - are the 10 run milestone T-shirt’s still available for under 17s who’ve done ten 5k parkruns? My son is nearly at 10 runs and I’d like to know if he’ll qualify. Parkrun website and google giving mixed answers!

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Quick question - are the 10 run milestone T-shirt’s still available for under 17s who’ve done ten 5k parkruns? My son is nearly at 10 runs and I’d like to know if he’ll qualify. Parkrun website and google giving mixed answers!

https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/205904361-How-do-I-claim-my-club-t-shirt-

As far as I know they are still doing them if they do the 10th 5k run before turning 17.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Someone had a heart attack at Bushy Park yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Gael23 wrote: »

He is off ventilator & conscious now.

Swift action of volunteers helped.

Bushy parkrun FB page posted an update earlier today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

7 clubs represented in the first 10 finishers in Westport on Saturday. Record for us I think. Parkrun tourism becoming very popular here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

vargoo wrote: »

An ulterior motive for me when I started was meeting people at it but I'm fairly new to it still and the weather has generally been sh1t so everyone just bails, haven't really got chatting to anyone at all!

As someone already mentioned you'll meet many more people as a volunteer esp if you're at the finish line time keeping, scanning etc.. They're not overly technical roles, if you can press a button you can time keep or scan :)

You'll be given instructions, then you're in company from start to finish. If its one of the smaller parkrun run's you'll have plenty of craic, certainly until the average runners start coming it from the early/mid 20 minutes onwards then you've to be on the ball.

Also try find out where most people go for coffee & cake afterwards and join them there, you won't need an invite.. Or alternatively you could break the ice and bring a packet of cup cakes with you or share at the finish, everyone will love you then :D

As for meeting a partner at parkrun, I'm not looking but I'm sure its been done. There's plenty of opportunity to meet a partner but I'd suggest going for the event, craic and meeting new people and see what developes from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

An ulterior motive for me when I started was meeting people at it but I'm fairly new to it still and the weather has generally been sh1t so everyone just bails, haven't really got chatting to anyone at all!
    Give it time. If you are there most weeks you'll start to see the same faces each time. Try to get there a bit earlier, say about 9:10. Some people at my local do a little warm up jog and it can be a good way to have a little chat. Even waiting around the start area you fall into the chats with some people. Wear a top from a run you have done can be a good way to get a conversation going. As others have said, some volunteer roles allow you more time to chat, eg barcode scanning, token sorting. Even marshal with someone else or tail walk can give you some down time. And find out where people go for a post parkrun coffee.
    It takes time. I would be quite reserved. But I've gotten to know so many people now through parkrun, acquaintances more than friends but I see them almost every week and often at local races.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As for meeting a partner at parkrun, I'm not looking but I'm sure its been done. There's plenty of opportunity to meet a partner but I'd suggest going for the event, craic and meeting new people and see what developes from there.

It happens lots, I know of at least 4 couples who met at the first of the local events that existed round my way. And I'm certain that there are other couples who met through the other local events.

We didn't meet through parkrun and were not an item at the time, but at my first ever parkrun my other half was the tail marshal that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Crossing the line with people it's an easy conversation starter "I was just behind you most of the way/fair play to catch me just at the end/tough running out there today".

Over time you'll line up alongside them and finish alongside the same faces each week and get talking to them before hand.

Coffees and marriage are optional

• Registered Users Posts: 8,080 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ran the Jamaica Pond parkrun on the outskirts Boston this weekend as a tempo run.
    The weather was pretty bad, but at 318 they 2 x'd their previous biggest field, which was a few weeks ago for their 1st anniversary.
    Nice course, about a 2.3k lap around Jamaica Pond, with a 200m downhill start that gives back with some change at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭kingtut

Can anyone tell me if there is a park run in the Phoenix Park?
    I am in Dublin this weekend and staying near the phoenix park ... I can't see one on the parkrun page or on the map. Seems kinda strange...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

No, none in the Park. Porterstown or Tolka Valley would probably be the ones nearest, off the top of my head.

quickbeam wrote: »
    No, none in the Park. Porterstown or Tolka Valley would probably be the ones nearest, off the top of my head.

Perfect thank you. I'll take a look and see which is easier to get to on public transport :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

kingtut wrote: »
    Perfect thank you. I'll take a look and see which is easier to get to on public transport :)

Where are you staying?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Bravestaar

Waterstown is close also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

snailsong wrote: »
    7 clubs represented in the first 10 finishers in Westport on Saturday. Record for us I think. Parkrun tourism becoming very popular here.

I was there! (But I think I was 11th :rolleyes:) Thanks for having us - lovely course!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Anyone using Facebook, and I know its cool to say we don't when we do :)

Anyway a closed group is Parkrun Laughs.. You'll find some very funny stuff there :)

• Advertisement

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Where are you staying?

West County Hotel in Chapelizod
    Bravestaar wrote: »
    Waterstown is close also.

Just checked the map and it seems closest to the hotel. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭pc11

Gael23 wrote: »

Sorry, but this is a bugbear of mine. He had a cardiac arrest, not a heart attack. They are quite different things. On the news they always use these words interchangeably but trust me, you'd rather have a heart attack than a cardiac arrest!

Ok, I'll explain:
    A heart attack or MI (myocardial infarction) is when there is a blockage (clot) in a blood vessel supplying the heart muscle and the muscle loses blood supply and gets damaged. These days it's not often fatal but it's still not a good thing. You'll likely feel chest pain and probably breathless but you will be awake and breathing. Naturally you should get to hospital immediately as you need treatment to minimise the damage and restore the blood flow. You will have a pulse. You can usually speak. You will likely survive with treatment but you need an ambulance immediately.

A cardiac arrest is when the heart just stops working and you have no pulse or circulation at all and you are DEAD. Without immediate CPR and a defibrillator you will NOT recover. Usually the problem is electrical as in the electrical wiring of the heart goes totally wrong and the heart either stops or is beating in a totally erratic and useless way and you have no pulse. You will hit the ground instantly, you will not be speaking or awake. You are effectively dead.

Now, a heart attack may LEAD to a cardiac arrest if the damage is severe or if it occurs to particular key parts of the heart, but that doesn't mean they are the same thing.

IMPORTANT: if you find somebody collapsed, try to wake them. If you can't, check their pulse. If there is no pulse, call for help immediately, get somebody to bring a defibrillator, and start chest compressions IMMEDIATELY. This is what happened in Bushy and luckily people acted immediately and saved his life.

Using an automatic defibrillator like you see in parks is easy and you can't do any harm as the patient is already dead. Don't hesitate to act. You can only help. It's really worth doing a basic life support course if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,140 ✭✭✭snailsong

HelenAnne wrote: »
    snailsong wrote: »

I was there! (But I think I was 11th :rolleyes:) Thanks for having us - lovely course!
    Glad you enjoyed it. Did you come back for the tea after? Maybe we spoke. Looking again I see we had 9 distinct clubs in the first 12!

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Butterbeans

kingtut wrote: »
    West County Hotel in Chapelizod

Just checked the map and it seems closest to the hotel. Thank you

Waterstown definitely the closest to you then. You could run up from the hotel in less than 10mins. Lovely course and a very friendly atmosphere there. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,988 ✭✭✭opus

An official opening date announced for Tramore Valley Park in Cork :) Hopefully means the parkrun will restart at some stage this year.

https://twitter.com/corkcityparks/status/1118553401627955200

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Heading down to Gorey for the parkrun this weekend. First time running there

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Heading down to Gorey for the parkrun this weekend. First time running there

We love to see new faces, come say hello. Im not RD this week but i will be there getting everything ready. Doing a spot of VI guiding this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Can't recall if I posted a few weeks back but no matter, bit of parkrun tourism for me in the last month (and a parkrun pb at my home parkrun so that was nice). On the tourist front I got Inch beach done on an ideal day back on the 23rd of March. No wind at all (had been forewarned about that by others from Tralee) and the sand was nice and compact with no noticeable camber so came home 4th overall there in 22:11. Got my parkrun pb in Tralee a week later in 21:42 (almost a year to get 8 seconds off but you take them where you can). Was in Cork two weeks ago for a stag party so took in Glen River parkrun there, found that very tough going with a hill you run on the 2nd and 3rd lap almost coming to a standstill and then you turn and have to fly back down it...the quads were not best pleased (22:37 there). Maybe with more than 3-4 hours sleep I could have ran a bit quicker there but a tough course I found now. Finally last weekend I took in Knockanacree Woods (it's about the same distance from my parents place as Templemore is). Lovely spot to run but v tough if you're more of the roads persuasion as I am...up and down continuously as you run around the course. 2 laps around the circumference of the woods takes in the course, little bit of confusion on the second lap as to where to turn and the marshall had to call myself and the young lad ahead of me back to turn...we lost about 20 seconds maybe and I held back a little to let the young lad go ahead of me. I couldn't catch him for the life of me then over the last 400meters or so (you finish running uphill as well). Came home 24:26 and another 4th place so happy with that. Would take me a bit of work to get some time off that on the trails there.
    If you're looking to try out something new would highly recommend all of the 3 there, each v different and pose a different challenge. Definitely planning to give Inch another go in the summer and make a day of it in Dingle then afterwards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭az2wp0sye65487

Are the junior parkrun events running tomorrow (Easter Sunday)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Are the junior parkrun events running tomorrow (Easter Sunday)?

Should be. Ours only stops if the route is flooded and impassable from the lake we circle. Nothing else seams to stop it. Check the local Facebook page if they have one.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement