Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun..

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

quickbeam wrote: »
    Would you not be wary that parkrun may disband or rebrand and you’d be left with their logo? Would a generic running tattoo not be better if you were that way inclined? A pair of runners or a running stick man or something??

Nah wouldn't bother me, and I doubt its going anywhere for a very long time.

Like I said I have Led Zepp & The Doors tattoo's, they're both gone.

Getting a new tattoo for someone who likes getting tattoo's is like someone here finding an excuse to buy a new fancy pair of running shoes, or any pair.

Cyclists are the same for tyres and bike bits, I love Mister Postman Pat delivering some bike bits too :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

Ran Ardgillan for the first time yesterday. That hill at the finish is zero fun.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Bravestaar wrote: »
    St. Anne's has a lovely finish though, it makes up for the start.

Does anyone else count the benches on their way down the Avenue? When you get to 6 it is time to put the boot down for the spectacular finish :pac:

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Does anyone else count the benches on their way down the Avenue? When you get to 6 it is time to put the boot down for the spectacular finish :pac:

Damn you.

No I never did, until now :(

And now if I miss a count I'll be cursing you from a height :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Great idea. I always struggle with knowing how far there is to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭TaurenDruid

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    I'm not sure if the scanners can scan a tattoo :p

I have asked, and apparently, no, they can't :P

I am thinking of getting a tattoo later in the year to mark a significant birthday; if I do, it'll be a collection of symbols that mean something to me - my partner's and kids' names in ogham, a 20-sided dice, and so on - would definitely consider the parkrun symbol, too...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

muddypaws wrote: »
    She lives in the UK and has spina bifida. After listening to me raving about park run last year she went along to her local one, she volunteered a couple of times and then joined in on her hand cycle. Apparently complaints from other participants led to the apparatus now being on the website as being banned.
    This is about the sh1ttiest thing I've ever heard. Who the hell objects to a person with disabilities taking part? Parkrun are worse to capitulate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I can't see the justification for why they would ban hand cycles, whilst allowing self propelled wheelchairs and also wheelchairs that are being pushed by someone else and counting the occupant and the pusher and even motorised chairs. I get that there would be courses where they can't be used, but not sure what the difference is between allowing a regular self propelled chair and hand cycle could be?

Only thing I could think of would be the gearing meaning that it might be considered "unfair" to other wheelchairs. Except for that though they are no different in their footprint, manoeuvrability and speed to anything else like wheelchairs and buggys.

Edit:
    https://support.parkrun.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003630949-Can-I-parkrun-in-a-wheelchair-

Might be one for throwing into the flame pit that is the parkrun "discussion" group on Facebook and seeing what comes out the other side if anyone can give a reason for the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,329 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Did my last Lough Key park run yesterday as the dog ban is now in effect. I know I could do it without a dog but I'm not a runner, I'm a canicrosser.
    I seen Lough Key parkrun put up a post to say that from next weekend they will now be a dog free event. But they will still allow someone to bring their dog if they are volunteering.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,607 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Sunny Dayz wrote: »
    I seen Lough Key parkrun put up a post to say that from next weekend they will now be a dog free event. But they will still allow someone to bring their dog if they are volunteering.

I wonder if that includes tail walking?

• Advertisement

That's what I was thinking too...
    Someone had commented to ask if someone who was volunteering could bring their dog cos they won't volunteer without the dog and they were told they could. Strikes me as a bit unfair - you can visit Lough Key anytime and bring your dog, you can volunteer at the parkrun with your dog but you can't actually walk or run the parkrun with along with your dog.

It should be all or nothing. A parkrun I've done a few times has a no dogs policy. But that's due to the park in which it's located, no dogs are allowed in it, you cannot have dogs on the grounds of the park, or at parkun, running or volunteering.

Sorry if I'm repeating a discussion that's probably already been had about dogs at parkrun.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭vargoo

I wouldn't let any dog into any park anywhere full stop, no fault to the dogs, scumbag humans, I'm sick of avoiding sh1t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

By that logic we should ban all humans from parks because some people don't pick up their litter.

Irresponsible dog owners are a$$holes, no question, but you can't punish us responsible ones along with them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,355 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It should be all or nothing. A parkrun I've done a few times has a no dogs policy. But that's due to the park in which it's located, no dogs are allowed in it, you cannot have dogs on the grounds of the park, or at parkun, running or volunteering.

Naas have a no dogs policy too. Makes sense considering it is a racecourse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Did my last Lough Key park run yesterday as the dog ban is now in effect. I know I could do it without a dog but I'm not a runner, I'm a canicrosser.

Well that is a terrible terrible shame. Poor dogs - the innocent victims yet again.

As mentioned above - it seems quite unfair that dogs - who are allowed to be walked in the park at all times and who are allowed to be part of parkrun once their owners are volunteering - would be banned from taking part in the run.

We have an awful problem at my local PR with under 11s running out of arm's reach of their parents. Any chance of getting them permabanned? :rolleyes:

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    We have an awful problem at my local PR with under 11s running out of arm's reach of their parents. Any chance of getting them permabanned? :rolleyes:

It's the same in Lough Key and I know it's a huge concern to the core team, it's in a forest, beside a lake with a couple of hundred strangers but parents seem to have no problem letting their children out of their sight. I don't know how it can be policed any better though, people tend to get very defensive when you question their parenting skills

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It does make sense to have a ban on dogs in narrow courses once they reach certain numbers, but from the photos / videos it didn't look like numbers were particularly massive at that event.

Cardiff which I ran this weekend is on narrow paths, particularly at the start, and I didn't notice any dogs this weekend. But I didn't see any mention of them being banned there and they have approaching 1000 runners. I could understand it at an event like Cardiff, but not a relatively small trail course where dogs are welcome otherwise.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,365 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

The spina bifida story is frustrating when you consider Bushy Park London has part of its volunteer roster dedicated to those with a visual impairment.

robinph wrote: »
    It does make sense to have a ban on dogs in narrow courses once they reach certain numbers, but from the photos / videos it didn't look like numbers were particularly massive at that event.

Cardiff which I ran this weekend is on narrow paths, particularly at the start, and I didn't notice any dogs this weekend. But I didn't see any mention of them being banned there and they have approaching 1000 runners. I could understand it at an event like Cardiff, but not a relatively small trail course where dogs are welcome otherwise.

Have you done the Severn crossing one? I hate driving across those bridges, don't think I could run across

• Registered Users Posts: 9,389 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Think you missed a joke there

• Advertisement

Have you done the Severn crossing one? I hate driving across those bridges, don't think I could run across
    Yep, it's pretty windy though. Great view and a very fast finish. Despite being a couple of feet from a motorway doesn't feel like it, although I've run across a few times on training runs too.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Think you missed a joke there
    Ah jeez I did too! Good one!!

Ah jeez I did too! Good one!!

Me too :(

l'm not normally so slow :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

She lives in the UK and has spina bifida. After listening to me raving about park run last year she went along to her local one, she volunteered a couple of times and then joined in on her hand cycle. Apparently complaints from other participants led to the apparatus now being on the website as being banned.
    I realise that technically it's a bike but it's powered by her, someone could push her in a wheelchair, or she could use an electric chair or her mobility scooter but that wouldn't be her doing it. She can't afford a racing wheelchair and unfortunately is now very disillusioned with park run. There have to be rules, of course there do but it's a real shame that it's not as inclusive as I'd thought.
    All I seem to have done recently is complain about park run, I do love it and am looking forward to some tourism next week and a volunteering stint the following week
    cjt156 wrote: »
    This is about the sh1ttiest thing I've ever heard. Who the hell objects to a person with disabilities taking part? Parkrun are worse to capitulate.

The reason its banned is because its a bike, If they are allowed them kids on bikes would have to be allowed.

ger664 wrote: »
    The reason its banned is because its a bike, If they are allowed them kids on bikes would have to be allowed.

Don't see why they would need to allow kids on bikes if they allowed hand cycles?

They have an exclusion about being able to get participation credit for being pushed around in a wheelchair, or using a motorised chair, only if you have a long term condition that means that is why you are in the chair. It's not like I'll be trying to claim credits for the buggy passenger once they turn 4 years old if I still happen to be pushing them around on occasion.

Doesn't require any particularly special wording of the terms to say "bikes are not permitted. Long term disabled participants in self propelled wheelchairs or hand cycles can take part where the course conditions permit it".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Hi all - I'm planning a trip to London soon and I'm wondering - are there any decent, cheap hostels near to Bushy London? Price range would be 40euro per night for a room in a dorm.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    Hi all - I'm planning a trip to London soon and I'm wondering - are there any decent, cheap hostels near to Bushy London? Price range would be 40euro per night for a room in a dorm.

Thanks

the Travelodge in Teddington has been the hotel of choice for some of the parkruns that have organised trips to Bushy - check that out

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭reservoirdubdub

Darndale parkrun is cancelled tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭aquinn

Woo hoo. Wanaka this morning. Tough with a 600m hill to the finish but what an amazing location. Brilliant. They are a year next week. Lovely team and crew. A few other tourists this morning too. Really spectacular.

A lovely post on them.

http://blog.parkrun.com/nz/2019/02/12/event-profile-wanaka-parkrun/#.XGZpgaHBzVo.facebook

• Advertisement

Darndale parkrun is cancelled tomorrow.

Seen that on their facebook page.

Fair play to the people behind Darndale parkrun for their persistence in trying to get the event going.

Is there a more challenging location in the entire country?. It would be such a positive thing for that community if parkrun took off down there.

Here's hoping.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement