Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'd survive a plane crash?

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

We could have some sort of creative writing competition to see who gets the parachute

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

o1s1n wrote: »

To jump out of a plane safely you need to have good conditions. Usually if a plane is going to crash, conditions aren't exactly great.

Chances are you'd be pinned to your seat and unable to get out of it. If you were, the plane would probably be going too fast/too high anyway and you'd die when you jumped out. And that's if you could convince the cabin staff to open the door.

Yeah too many flaws in the plan. Back to the drawing board. A big parachute for the plane maybe

I see a Chinese kid has already beaten me to it

http://www.terminalu.com/europe/parachutes-on-planes-concept-designed-to-prevent-air-crashes/25413/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

o1s1n wrote: »
    You're forgetting one thing though, the fuel tanks are a ticking time bomb.

So you're on the way out of the plane, people screaming for help, there's one person in particular who catches your eye through the acrid smoke, a young mother with her child next to her.

'help us please!! I can't get my child's belt open!! - but no, you push on and out to find a safe spot.

You find a suitable location, turn back to help survivors, and with that, both fuel tanks go, a mighty fireball obliterating every survivor still left on the plane.

If only you'd opened that one seatbelt... :pac:

I understand what you are saying but not all fuel tanks explode after a crash. In any emergency situation the priority is finding an exit route out of the danger area and then casevac and extract.

It is the best action for the best possible outcome. Anyone with any disaster management experience / training would most likely say the same....except.for the going back in bit....that would be left for professional service personnell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

According to Frankie Boyle, the brace postion (ie: head between your legs) is specially designed to keep your teeth in your head so that in the event of a catastrophy you can be identified by your dental records.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

McChubbin wrote: »
    According to Frankie Boyle, the brace postion (ie: head between your legs) is specially designed to keep your teeth in your head so that in the event of a catastrophy you can be identified by your dental records.

Sure aren't seatbelts on planes just there to identify your body from the seating chart in the case of a crash

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

be a bit of a nightmare having to wait for it to come out on the baggage belt wouldn't it.
    Why do you have to be so funny?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭tomthetank

McChubbin wrote: »

I heard it was to prevent your neck from snapping from the sheer impact of the plane crash landing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,080 ✭✭✭McChubbin

Whilst we're talking about plane diasters, did anyone see that More4 documetary on the anatomy of a plane crash? Fascinating stuff!
    The Plane Crash by More4 documentaries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭ruthloss

foxinsox wrote: »
    Knowing my luck, I'd probably be on the loo!

So bummer, probably wouldn't survive.[/QUOTE

Loo, Bummer!!

Wha! Wha! Wha!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

Actually I did survive a plane crash..........well not strictly a crash as such, more like an emergency, well more like an incident. The engine went bad and I landed as soon as possible. But it could have been a crash if it wasn't for the airfield being directly beneath us. Still I tend to see myself in a more heroic light ever since. My wife doesn't agree but what does she know?

I could have panicked and screamed: 'We're all going to die, we're all going to die.' Let go of the controls so that the plane went into a 'tailspin' and 'plunged' thousands of feet straight into the local school. But that didn't happen. So I saved all those kids too. Lucky for everyone concerned that I was the pilot that day.

As for the OPs scenario, naturally I would survive that too. You have to believe that because if you don't you will definitely do nothing to save yourself. Top tip: In an emergency evacuation, don't bother trying to get to the emergency exit via the aisle. Crawl across the top of the seats. While every one else is getting in each others way, you'll be out and gone being interviewed for the TV news.

• Advertisement
Advertisement