Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'd survive a plane crash?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Boombastic wrote: »
    Well it'd make a difference as I always sit at the back. If it fell from the sky, I'd survive and I'd have no problem eating the whole lot of ye:D

Your some fast eater.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I voted I would live :)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Where To wrote: »

You cocky bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Is the plane on a treadmill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

you lied, but I love the posiflyability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Alive or not, I'd still eat you if I was peckish:D

you lied, but I love the posiflyability.
    I like your tinkering :)

Alive or not, I'd still eat you if I was peckish:D
    Oooh matrion!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Don't bother with seatbelts as the plane goes down. Stand in the aisle. Keep an eye out the window, and just as the plane is about to hit the ground, jump.
    Then stroll out of the plane and enjoy the rest of your holiday :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I like your tinkering :)
    Steady now:D You know the rules..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭The Dagda

Sitec wrote: »
    Yeah I understand that, but the OP said "50% chance of survival", the amount of physics and luck make it a stupid question in fairness!

So it's the amount of physics and luck that make it a stupid question?! I was wondering, so thank god there was a clever chap, like yourself, to clear that up...

Oooh matrion!!!!

calm down, calm down I'd have to survive the plane crash first

Pottler wrote: »
    Steady now:D You know the rules..
    Yep:) must no post while in Newcastle on the piss. I'm fairly sure no one has noticed I is drunk though, keep it it under your hat pottler baby:)

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

Cienciano wrote: »
    Don't bother with seatbelts as the plane goes down. Stand in the aisle. Keep an eye out the window, and just as the plane is about to hit the ground, jump.

Good god man you've solved it!! :D

Cienciano wrote: »

or set your watch an hour slow;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭javagal

Just asked my magic 8 ball if I would die.

It said 'outlook not so good'

I don't know whether that's good or bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

javagal wrote: »
    Just asked my magic 8 ball if I would die.

It said 'outlook not so good'

I don't know whether that's good or bad!

I asked my magic 8 ball the same and it said, "Are you still fooking alive???" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

The Dagda wrote: »
    So it's the amount of physics and luck that make it a stupid question?! I was wondering, so thank god there was a clever chap, like yourself, to clear that up...

Is that an attempt at humor?

Sitec wrote: »
    Is that an attempt at humor?

Is that?

Isn't it plane obvious if it is or not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Don't know about that dude. Depends entirely on wreckage area and location.

The crash site would be manic. Confusion, terror, disorientation and limited visibility are all against you. "Scene safety" goes out the window at that atage.

Tbh, if you start freeing people from seats while you are frantically looking for an exit route you are compounding the problem. You have no idea which way you are leading people or to where you are leading them. This part is crucial as you either save everyone or potentiall kill everyone.

Find a way out first, pick a suitable location for casevac, return to crash site and get survivors out.

You're forgetting one thing though, the fuel tanks are a ticking time bomb.

So you're on the way out of the plane, people screaming for help, there's one person in particular who catches your eye through the acrid smoke, a young mother with her child next to her.

'help us please!! I can't get my child's belt open!! - but no, you push on and out to find a safe spot.

You find a suitable location, turn back to help survivors, and with that, both fuel tanks go, a mighty fireball obliterating every survivor still left on the plane.

If only you'd opened that one seatbelt... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

Can you bring your own parachute on a plane?

Disguise it as hand luggage just in case

As carry on or cargo?

As carry on or cargo?

be a bit of a nightmare having to wait for it to come out on the baggage belt wouldn't it.

Wouldn't be much good in the scenario described in the OP, although I suppose you could use it as a pillow/cushion?...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

As carry on or cargo?

Carry on, just don't tell anyone

Then if something goes wrong just jump out the back door

I'm surprised Ryanair haven't taken advantage of this yet, stock up on them on planes, then if something goes wrong sell them for 10 grand a chute to passengers

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

It's impossible to answer. In aviation every little detail can change the outcome of a crash. Even the amount of liquor on board the plane.

Head for the front one if it reversed in to something;)

Plane crashes on runway? At what height does it start to fall out of the sky

• Registered Users Posts: 34,432 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I'm surprised Ryanair haven't taken advantage of this yet, stock up on them on planes, then if something goes wrong sell them for 10 grand a chute to passengers

To jump out of a plane safely you need to have good conditions. Usually if a plane is going to crash, conditions aren't exactly great.

Chances are you'd be pinned to your seat and unable to get out of it. If you were, the plane would probably be going too fast/too high anyway and you'd die when you jumped out. And that's if you could convince the cabin staff to open the door.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

o1s1n wrote: »
    To jump out of a plane safely you need to have good conditions. Usually if a plane is going to crash, conditions aren't exactly great.

Chances are you'd be pinned to your seat and unable to get out of it. If you were, the plane would probably be going too fast/too high anyway and you'd die when you jumped out. And that's if you could convince the cabin staff to open the door.
    Or convince someone like me not to rob the parachute off you.:D By the time you jumped, you'd probably have 10 people clinging to your legs anyway, so you'd better get a big chute.:)

Advertisement