Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you think you'd survive a plane crash?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Oh come on guys. Do you think you'd be able to escape the wreckage, fires etc

Work with me goddamit. :mad:
    Too many variables Chuck if you survived but had both your legs broken then you would burn to death ;)

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Too many variables Chuck if you survived but had both your legs broken then you would burn to death ;)

Then you wouldn't have survived the crash - the impact perhaps - but not the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

Let's say everyone is injured in a severe plane crash and only 50% of the passengers manage to survive.

Everyone is strapped into their seats and ready to land (you're a passenger don't forget).

Everyone survives the up to the point of crash landing (nobody dies from heart attacks etc)

Do you think you'd survive?

is it airfix or ryanair, ( this is very important).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Where To wrote: »
    I got thanked by pilotduke, scary stuff. Hey pilotdude baby, will you fly me to the dancelappers club? :)

See those car keys in your hand? Through them into a field.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭ITS_A_BADGER

is this a carry on from the Optimistic or Pessimistic Thread :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

OP changed to remove another variable. :o
    If the plane dropoed from a height passengers would be inconcious anyway, nobosy would know where they be.

is this a carry on from the Optimistic or Pessimistic Thread :P

<.<
    >.>

He's on to you chuck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I fly a fair bit, and I have new technique, I walk past the stewardess, and in my most charming manner, suggest that if they need someone to sit at the emergency exit(they need strong lads for that one apparently) I'd be glad to oblige. I then walk on to my crappy, cramped seat.

Two minutes later, said stewardess walks up and asks would I mind awfully moving to the emergency exit seat(with lots of lovely leg room):) This works more times than not.:) So, if anyones getting out in one piece, it's yours truly, and if I don't, my charred as5 is what was blocking your way.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Access Denied

I'd survive by lying across the seats with all the safety belts around me, then aafter the crash, get my rifle because i'd be returning from a hunting trip and walk my way out of the barren lanscape we crashed on and killing wolves ans sh1t to eat...oh wait, i'm not Liam Neeson, but i do wish that;s how The Grey would have gone.

As for me personally, I think I'd die from severe and sudden onset projectile pants crapping just before impact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Let's say everyone is injured in a severe plane crash and only 50% of the passengers manage to survive.

Everyone is strapped into their seats and ready to land (you're a passenger don't forget).

Everyone survives the up to the point of crash landing (nobody dies from heart attacks etc)

Do you think you'd survive?

Touch wood I never want to be in that situation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Pilotdude5 wrote: »

I has no keys.:) I is in a cold place but wveryone is half naked, except me, I has a big coat on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Where To wrote: »
    If the plane dropoed from a height passengers would be inconcious anyway, nobosy would know where they be.
    ezakly. But, they do say being drunk gives you a great chance of survival in crashes etc, cos you don't tense up.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭PingO_O

4 8 15 16 23 42

You're all going to be in a plane crash now mwahahaha

or a bowl :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

50%, completely depends on the severity of the crash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Then you wouldn't have survived the crash - the impact perhaps - but not the crash.
    What part of if don't you understand :rolleyes:

thomasj wrote: »
    Touch wood I never want to be in that situation

Now is not the time for that :mad:

Sam Kade wrote: »
    What part of if don't you understand :rolleyes:

the f part, can you explain it to me please, minus the smugness, thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

o1s1n wrote: »
    You'd probably be better off saving people as you exited the plane, in one swoop.

Leaving the disaster site only to go back in again is a bit foolish and kind of negates leaving it in the first place. Especially with fuel tanks which are on the verge of exploding.

Don't know about that dude. Depends entirely on wreckage area and location.

The crash site would be manic. Confusion, terror, disorientation and limited visibility are all against you. "Scene safety" goes out the window at that atage.

Tbh, if you start freeing people from seats while you are frantically looking for an exit route you are compounding the problem. You have no idea which way you are leading people or to where you are leading them. This part is crucial as you either save everyone or potentiall kill everyone.

Find a way out first, pick a suitable location for casevac, return to crash site and get survivors out.

OP changed to remove another variable. :o

Yes I would survive and I would utilise anything and anyone to ensure my return to civilization.

• Advertisement

One with green grass so you can remember what it looked like.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

I had an emergency landing once where they thought we had lost tyre on takeoff, plane surrounded by fire engines etc. I was in the third row from the back, and believe me, before we came in to land, I was counting the old fat ones in the seats behind me and prepping the girlfriend to move quick once we got the go, because I wasnt getting caught behind them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Pilotdude5

Insider tip: Knock out as many people around you as you can, then use their bodies as a protective cushion for impact.

Happy flying!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Sitec wrote: »
    50%, completely depends on the severity of the crash.

Still wouldn't be 50% though. That's like saying that you have a 50% of rolling a 6 on a dice.. you either do or you don't =p

zuroph wrote: »
    I had an emergency landing once where they thought we had lost tyre on takeoff, plane surrounded by fire engines etc. I was in the third row from the back, and believe me, before we came in to land, I was counting the old fat ones in the seats behind me and prepping the girlfriend to move quick once we got the go, because I wasnt getting caught behind them.

They could of been your air bag.

I don't fly very much but I didn't know you can online to change your seat to one of your choice, for an extra fee of course. I did it on the last trip I was on as it was a long flight and I wanted an inside seat to lie against the side to sleep. I was also right beside the door and will do it again in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Insider tip: Knock out as many people around you as you can, then use their bodies as a protective cushion for impact.

Happy flying!!

Outsider tip: Get absolutely hammered drunk and pretend you're watching Air Crash Investigation. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Planes flying in reverse? :confused:

Well it'd make a difference as I always sit at the back. If it fell from the sky, I'd survive and I'd have no problem eating the whole lot of ye:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Still wouldn't be 50% though. That's like saying that you have a 50% of rolling a 6 on a dice.. you either do or you don't =p

Yeah I understand that, but the OP said "50% chance of survival", the amount of physics and luck make it a stupid question in fairness!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

Your in a plane heading towards a mountain at 480+ miles an hour!

Do you really think it matters lol

It's pure luck simple as that :D

Advertisement