Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Project Atheism

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

tdv123 wrote: »
    No, but they probably should have.
    that's just uncalled for :confused:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

tdv123 wrote: »
    No, but they probably should have.
    tdv - tone down your rhetoric or cards, bans may be handed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

OP, I get the impression that whoever you've been talking to about atheism or indeed whatever you've read has been inaccurate.
    Atheists don't believe in a god.
    That's it. There is nothing more to it than that.
    There's no way of life or moral code that is required from an atheist.

It's going to be a short project.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Above 2 posters Are mental and wo ever they support are ****

So you knew nobody was actually saying you were dumb but you decided to ask it anyway?

If this isn't trolling than I don't know what is.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Man City 10, are we done here? Have your questions been answered?

If not, please clarify what hasn't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,241 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Sorry like i said to most of people who think this is my logic i get questions from the internet and pot them here to see your views these are not my logics or belief well some of them are but i wanted to hear from an Athiest point of view
    And ye call me Dumb ???
    Seriously dude. Punctuation! This is a 'clear ideas clearly expressed' type forum. You may not get the answers you're looking for*, but we can certainly help with spelling.

*Spend a little more time thinking about what information you actually want and you probably will get the answers you're looking for....

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

It is amazing how poor some of you people are at adjusting your message to your audience. The OP is clearly a kid doing a school project and gets responses as though JC started a thread on the moral failings of the atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This forum has seriously disappointed me today, it's completely uncalled for, and I think you're just being rude and abusive to someone who has a belief in god just because of that. That's just shameful.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Zillah wrote: »
    It is amazing how poor some of you people are at adjusting your message to your audience. The OP is clearly a kid doing a school project and gets responses as though JC started a thread on the moral failings of the atheist.
    Links234 wrote: »
    This forum has seriously disappointed me today, it's completely uncalled for, and I think you're just being rude and abusive to someone who has a belief in god just because of that. That's just shameful.

That might be a second attribute that connects Atheists. Embarrassing the individual. I don't blame them,I blame their Celebrity Role Models.

Speaking only for myself of course, although I suspect I may be speaking for several...

I don't have an audience. Neither do I have a 'message'. If the OP has decided to do a project on atheism, the least they might have done before starting their 'give me an answer to my school project' questioning, is to look the word up in any dictionary. I suspect that what many of the respondents have done is to (perhaps harshly) underline the point that he/she was asking irrelevant questions. Do I accept the big bang theory as a workable hypothesis as to the origin of things. Well, yes I do. This has nothing to do with atheism though. It's just the best workable theory I've encountered to a question of physics. Do I see the need for a creator to have lit the fuse for the bb? No.

OP, if you're still following this, I am atheist. Many other atheists would disagree with me on a great many points. But would agree on the non-existence if a deity. There's your project in a nutshell. It may not meet your word count requirement, but feel free to embellish. In future, for what its worth, think about the question.

• Advertisement

LiamMc wrote: »
    I don't blame them,I blame their Celebrity Role Models.
    Don't blame them. I'm independently obnoxious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Links234 wrote: »

Completely disagree. If you actually read the replies most people actually took the OP seriously, tried to answer his questions honestly and were quite patient. There were one or two who were less than helpful, but overall I think the OP learned something, if he is open to it.

Also, we don't know about the OP's belief or non-belief in god, that has not come up. And if people were rude to him it wasn't because he was a believer. You need to actually read the posts in a thread before commenting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Agreed.

It's clear the OP didn't do 5 minutes research before dropping in here, and hasn't addressed (or thanked) any of the posters that took time to reply to each of his misconceptions.

He can save the situation at any time by engaging with the responses he got, but until then I think the sympathy he's getting is undeserved.

I'm not just talking about the combativeness or snide comments on punctuation, even the vocabulary used and the complexity of the ideas expressed are clearly a league beyond what is called for.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

I'm not just talking about the combativeness or snide comments on punctuation, even the vocabulary used and the complexity of the ideas expressed are clearly a league beyond what is called for.

If the OP is indeed engaged on a project for his Leaving Cert then he (or she) should be able to use a dictionary to help him understand any of the words he may be unfamiliar with, as for complexity of ideas - do you suggest we should dumb it down for a Leaving cert student or expect him to raise his game?

Personally, I read his posts and thought 'urgggh, life's too short to go there.'

Bannasidhe wrote: »

If the OP is indeed engaged on a project for his Leaving Cert then he (or she) should be able to use a dictionary to help him understand any of the words he may be unfamiliar with, as for complexity of ideas - do you suggest we should dumb it down for a Leaving cert student or expect him to raise his game?

Personally, I read his posts and thought 'urgggh, life's too short to go there.'

Junior Cert.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Junior Cert.

Should still be able to use a dictionary ;).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Hi Man City.
    So ye do not believe in God then what do Athiest believe in? Do they believe in after life ? Do they believe in recarnation?

I do not believe in God, but that phrase "do not believe in God" is often misunderstood itself. Often it is misrepresented as me saying I know that there is no god or divine creator of the universe. I don't. I've no idea if something intelligent did or did not create the universe. No one does, no scientific theories or equipment can work out what happened before the Big Bang.

Where atheism comes from is that some people, religious people, claim that they do know that something created the universe, they know it is their god (not just the Christian god, lots of religions around the world have lots of different stories about how the universe was made).

Atheism is simply saying "I don't believe that, I don't believe you know that".

That is not calling them liars, there are lots of biological reasons why people believe in things that are not real. It is simply not accepting what they say is true just because they say it is true.

To use an example that might make this clearer. Say one of your friends buys a Lottery ticket for next weeks draw. She comes up to you and says "I'm going to win the lottery next week, I know it".

Now you probably know the odds of winning the lottery are very small. So while you cannot say for certain that she won't win (she has a 1 in 8 million chance of winning, so she might), at the same time just because she says she is going to win doesn't mean you believe her. The odds of her winning are very small and there is no way she can know she will win. You aren't saying she is lying, she might genuinely believe she is going to win, wishing something will come true is a powerful emotion.

What you are doing is rejecting her claim that she will win. She might, but she doesn't know she will, and frankly she probably won't. At no point though are you stating you know she won't win. You don't know she won't win. But you do know that she doesn't know she will win.

Atheism is the same thing. It is rejecting the claims of theism (ie a fancy word for the claim that gods are real). Religion makes claims, and atheists say "I don't believe that, I don't believe you can know that"

Sorry for the long reply, but often these concepts are a little bit more complicated than they first appear.
    What are your views on big bang theory?
    The Big Bang theory (which is actually a large collection of smaller scientific theories) is the best understanding we currently have about the early universe.
    People who believe in religion say God created the universe and Athiest say it was there the whole time well mind if i ask this another question i got from youtube then isn't there supposed to be a creator for everything?

We don't know what, if anything, created or caused the universe to come into existences (ie what if anything caused the Big Bang)

There are a lot of ideas in the scientific community, but we so far don't have anyway to test these ideas and as such scientists cannot tell which, if any, are the correct one.

If someone says there is scientific evidence God created the universe they are wrong.
    How can a massive universe be just there for ever and us humans our shapes feelings cauncience how does this occur

Humans evolved on Earth. Biological evolution (also known as Darwinian evolution, named after Charles Darwin, one of the first scientists to study it properly) is a process where life develops abilities that adapt that form of life to its environment. We developed things like feelings, emotions, consciousness as a form of adaption.

Evolution is a rather complicated subject, but it accurately explains how humans, and all other life forms, came about. Some religious people take objection to it because they prefer to believe that life was created by an god for a specific purpose. But there is no evidence this is true, but simply believe it because of religious reasons. There is mountains of evidence for evolution though.

Some Athiest say Evoloution from Apes ??

Humans are apes. Humans are a species of ape.

We, and all the other species of apes currently alive today evolved from earlier species that are no longer around. Some of these slowly evolved into us, some of them evolved into the other species of apes you see, such as chimps and orangutangs.

You can see this in our DNA, you can see points where our ancestors separated from the other species. Each went their own way on the evolutionary path.

Again some religious people don't like this idea because they prefer to believe that humans were created by God separate to all the other animals. But there is no evidence for this, and mountains of evidence that humans evolved from earlier species, thousands of years ago.
    So if ye could asnwer these question and tell me more about Atheism belief i would love to know :)

Sorry for the long reply, lot of reading :)

But I hope these answers helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,132 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

It shouldn't be too much to ask even at JC (the other JC) level to be able to spell, punctuate, and think through and understand their questions before looking for answers. The above seems to be out of fashion however. Third level lecturers end up with the mess and are themselves under pressure to cast a blind eye, and award pass marks to the incapable otherwise their 'ranking' and funding will be under threat. Knowledge economy, my ârse...

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

ninja900 wrote: »
    Knowledge economy...
    ...has come to mean 'economy of knowledge'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Snide comments on punctuation? There are two comments on his punctuation, are there not?
    pauldla wrote: »
    Having said that, you really are doing yourself no favours with your prose. Your posts would be easier to read if you used some punctuation, capitals, etc.
    endacl wrote: »
    Seriously dude. Punctuation! This is a 'clear ideas clearly expressed' type forum. You may not get the answers you're looking for*, but we can certainly help with spelling.

I see these as clear and direct advice to the young man in question: if you wishes to be read clearly, improve your punctuation. Why do you consider them to be snide?

It now transpires that he is a JC student. All the more reason, I would have thought, to put a little more effort into polishing up the prose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

So thanks for info one more thing since reading all this
    Then what happens after life after say the sun explodes or you die then what thats just that so the world will end one day and thats that just like the dinosaurs we will become extinct unless we learn how to travel to another galaxy before our sun runs out
    So spending years and years for ever in death sound pretty creepy don't you think
    I mean if this would be the case then life is way way way short

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

So thanks for info one more thing since reading all this
    Then what happens after life after say the sun explodes or you die then what thats just that so the world will end one day and thats that just like the dinosaurs we will become extinct unless we learn how to travel to another galaxy before our sun runs out
    So spending years and years for ever in death sound pretty creepy don't you think
    Speaking for myself, death is the end. There is nothing after, I have no reason to believe otherwise.

Once again though, this is not a universal belief among atheists, some might believe in a life after death or reincarnation.

You can believe in an after life if you want, but just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true, and everything we know about life would lead us to believe that's it's not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

Tell me this, what were you doing before you were born? How creepy was that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I go to Mark Twain on this one:-
    Mark Twain wrote:
    I was dead for millions of years before I was born and it never inconvenienced me a bit.

Living forever seems just as creepy to me mind.

mewso wrote: »
    I go to Mark Twain on this one:-

Living forever seems just as creepy to me mind.

Well not living for ever but living in after life I mean Science Cannot explain everything can it ??
    No it can't
    Excorsim you believe in that? science cannot explain it and when it tries, it make up the biggest bull crap i have ever heard oh he was a mental patient or something with his mind caused this kind of behaviour. Some one does not go bizzare out of a sudden what i am trying to say Some Athiest not ye maybe all but from my studies what i have learned rely mostly on science not correct me if i am wrong
    You cannot always rely on Science?
    what about miracles there is millions of them they cannot be cuincedance(sorry for bad spelling)

Well not living for ever but living in after life I mean Science Cannot explain everything can it ??
    No it can't
    Excorsim you believe in that? science cannot explain it and when it tries, it make up the biggest bull crap i have ever heard oh he was a mental patient or something with his mind caused this kind of behaviour. Some one does not go bizzare out of a sudden what i am trying to say Some Athiest not ye maybe all but from my studies what i have learned rely mostly on science not correct me if i am wrong
    You cannot always rely on Science?
    what about miracles there is millions of them they cannot be cuincedance(sorry for bad spelling)

Errr.... Ok.

For one, there are no exorcisms, because nobody is "possessed".

Secondly, there are no miracles, there is no divine intervention.

And we all rely mostly on science, every day of our lives.

God is unexplainable by science and this is not a scientific object of research. The definition of God is "what is and what is not". With science you can study only "what is". "What is not" is beyond science and it will always be.

Errr.... Ok.

For one, there are no exorcisms, because nobody is "possessed".

Secondly, there are no miracles, there is no divine intervention.

And we all rely mostly on science, every day of our lives.

SO the videos on youtube the cases for example exorcist of Emily rose can anyone explain

• Advertisement

God is unexplainable by science and this is not a scientific object of research. The definition of God is "what is and what is not". With science you can study only "what is". "What is not" is beyond science and it will always be.

Dude, I'm out...

639AC22D-9D02-7058-88636FAF450B11EC.jpg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement