Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Project Atheism

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,867 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

"What is not" is beyond science and it will always be.

And that, my lad, is because god "is not".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

God is unexplainable by science and this is not a scientific object of research. The definition of God is "what is and what is not". With science you can study only "what is". "What is not" is beyond science and it will always be.

"What is not", by definition doesn't exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

SO the videos on youtube the cases for example exorcist of Emily rose can anyone explain

You mean that case where the woman died because her parents and the priests withheld medical treatment? That case where the parents and priests were found guilty of manslaughter?

Seriously, you're young, not stupid. Stop getting your info from hollywood.

SO the videos on youtube the cases for example exorcist of Emily rose can anyone explain

The exorcism of Emily Rose is a hollywood film. If you mean the german girl, Anneliese Michel, that film was based on, then she was a seriously mentally disturbed girl who was the victim of some religious idiots who tortured her to death out of religious beliefs.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

And that, my lad, is because god "is not".

disproving the existence of something is illogical, because it would require knowledge of the entire universe, which is why disproving is not a branch of scence or logic. U would literally have to check every corner of the entire universe and make sure it isn't hiding anywhere to disprove something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

disproving the existence of something is illogical,
    If it existed, you couldn't disprove its existence.

The exorcism of Emily Rose is a hollywood film. If you mean the german girl, Anneliese Michel, that film was based on, then she was a seriously mentally disturbed girl who was the victim of some religious idiots who tortured her to death out of religious beliefs.

Yes her sorry my bad I had forgotten her name so i just looked it up and that wa s the first thing that caught my eye

Banbh wrote: »
    If it existed, you couldn't disprove its existence.

Well tell me from an Athiest point of view if some one asked you Prove to me God is not real What your reply be

• Registered Users Posts: 22,259 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Spirituality forum is over there >>>>>

Seriously though. Spelellinng nd pnktuashun are important in an academic paper. A good habit started today will serve you well in the fushure '!..

I'm out too. Best of luck with the project.
    ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Well tell me from an Athiest point of view if some one asked you Prove to me God is not real What your reply be
    You've had five pages of it so far.
    And the answer: 'Show me this god and I'll have a look at it.'

• Advertisement

Its not up to atheists to prove that god isn't real, it's up to theists to prove that god is real, as they are the one making the claim. Remember that atheism doesn't make a claim about god, it disputes the claim that theism makes about god.
    Atheism disputes that claim for many reasons (you would need to offer specific theistic claims to individual atheists for specific answers) but it usually boils down to theistic claims being either internally inconsistent, inconsistent with the observable universe, or both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

Can you prove that Odin, Zeus, Cthulhu, Vishnu aren't real?

serious question, can you?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,382 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Prove that he is.

If someone claims something is real, it's their job to provide evidence for that.

There are numerous common replies to that question, such as "Prove that there isn't a miniature, weightless, odourless invisible purple unicorn spirit sitting on my shoulder". You can't prove that there isn't one, but that doesn't mean that there is one.

Atheists can't prove that there is no God. All we can do is investigate a claim which someone believes proves that there is a God.

Actually OP, I'm back in. Just for one post. I found your project on youtube. Thank me later when you get an A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭dave_o_brien

I know I'm going to regret answering this, but...

An analogy for why atheists don't need to prove God exists:

If a guy claimed to have seen a space ship that communicated to him, nobody would be expected to believe him unless he had convincing evidence of the event. That's not the same as saying that everyone thinks he made the aliens up, just that it's outside of the normal experience of most people, so it really should be up to that individual to put his case forward convincingly.

In the case of an atheist, they are asking for people to provide the compelling evidence for God, the alien in the story. It's not impossible that there is a god, it's just that god isn't necessary, and isn't apparent in everyday experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭Liamario

OP is starting to sound suspiciously like Bill O' Reilly...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I suspect Man City has already written his project and is trying to get his conclusions confirmed.

You don't go to a Creationist school, do you?!

Seriously OP, you haven't shown the slightest inclination to absorb anything people have said. Can you give me one reason to leave this thread open?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Simple: Burden of proof on the claimant.

Atheism: The lazy way out :pac:

(and +1 to all the suggestions about punctuation, grammar, spelling, etc. It'll stand to you better than a belief system which will probably fluctuate as you get older)
    Dades wrote: »
    I suspect Man City has already written his project and is trying to get his conclusions confirmed.
    Or else has been wasting time whilst awaiting access to the soccer forum, where no doubt his youthful exuberance will be widely welcomed. OT: Wonder if it is worth implementing something similar here in A&A?

Dades wrote: »

You don't go to a Creationist school, do you?!

Seriously OP, you haven't shown the slightest inclination to absorb anything people have said. Can you give me one reason to leave this thread open?

No I cannot give one reason close if you wish and if you think not taken all these wonderful peoples suggestions in then think again sure i builded but I for one have a right to ask a question and to answer
    So close it Thinking of me like a dumb show case

And to those people who have a problem with my spelling,grammer,punctuations
    Like ye were william shakespeare when yees were younger
    If i had known this was an English test I would had done better and about understanding most people understood me quite enough to answer my question

• Advertisement

And to those people who have a problem with my spelling,grammer,punctuations
    Like ye were william shakespeare when yees were younger
    If i had known this was an English test I would had done better and about understanding most people understood me quite enough to answer my question

We're finding it difficult to understand what you are saying. That's why we need punctuation. Read your last post back to yourself as it is (don't put in any punctuation yourself) and you'll see how difficult it is to read.

Liamario wrote: »
    We're finding it difficult to understand what you are saying. That's why we need punctuation. Read your last post back to yourself as it is (don't put in any punctuation yourself) and you'll see how difficult it is to read.

I read it not a problem
    :)

and about understanding most people understood me quite enough to answer my question
    Ok maybe this sentence ok but it only took me 3 seconds to figure it out

I read it not a problem

The fact that you wrote it helps. The rest of humanity has to read it with the invisible punctuation and it's quite difficult. Even if we put some in; some of the sentences sound like google translate from japanese.
    Just take the advice. People will respect your opinions a lot more, if you form them properly (grammatically speaking).

and about understanding most people understood me quite enough to answer my question

You wrote it and even you struggled- what does that tell you.

Liamario wrote: »
    You wrote it and even you struggled- what does that tell you.

To stay in school ?
    If you want, If you want
    There is no pressure.......
    If you would want me to type like a English teacher or they way Shakespeare or even if i am sitting an English test just to make life easy for people and especially for you say so, and I will do it, Just for you :) for all my posts

I read it without a problem.
    FYP

Can't FYP. Its just random words.

Sorry OP. I wouldn't usually take the pi55, but you're wearing a 'kick me' sign of your own making.

Google 'hoist by his own petard'. Its a great little phrase to chuck into an essay. Your teacher will be suitably impressed.

;)

Oh, Mods. Yes I am taking the pi55 now. A little leeway on this one before its closed?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

In fairness to the young fella, he IS using capital letters in the right places. He is lacking in full stops and commas though, and sentence structure has gone out the window because of that.

It's not Shakespearean to ask for a bit of clarity. Also, not Shakespearean to wonder why the people who made every effort to answer the OP's questions haven't been thanked? C'mon lad, show some manners eh?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement