Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion Project Atheism

Options
  • 27-12-2012 3:44am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭

So I have to do a religion project about Athiest but i never entirely got to understand the belief one of my class mates is an athiest and from the movies i seen and video like my class mate and people who i have seen whom are athiest seem to be so much sciency
    I would like to ask some few questions and would want anyone to answer them would be grateful
    So ye do not believe in God then what do Athiest believe in? Do they believe in after life ? Do they believe in recarnation?

What are your views on big bang theory?

People who believe in religion say God created the universe and Athiest say it was there the whole time well mind if i ask this another question i got from youtube then isn't there supposed to be a creator for everything?
    How can a massive universe be just there for ever and us humans our shapes feelings cauncience how does this occur

Some Athiest say Evoloution from Apes ??

So if ye could asnwer these question and tell me more about Atheism belief i would love to know :)

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 759 ✭✭✭Man City 10

Just to make the above paragraph little i want to share something i got from some one on yahoo aswers
    i asked a person who made this world? how were you created? and they replied "The world was made with atoms, explosions, the big bang".
    And I said who started it though? who made it happen? So obviously there must be a creater, a god that has creaded everything. Then the person said "ok, well who created god"? and i replied, god was not made by anyone. Then they finally said "well, if no one created god, then why does there have to be someone that created this world?"

Every created thing has a creator...God is uncreated... so the question who created God is illogical.... every created thing has definitely got a creator, but God is the only one in the entire universe who is uncreated, so if God is uncreated, how can there be a creator of him.....so just tell that person that his question is illogical...or tell him it's just like I asking you "i have a male friend who is admitted to a hospital, tell me whether he will give birth to boy or a girl?"( the question whether he will give birth to a boy or a girl is illogical because male can't be pregnant in the first place)....

If a god is created he can't be god, because his creator will become god then... So a true God must be the one who is uncreated and who was and will be always existing....

Seem believable your ideas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

I'll bite because I'm randomly surfing boards and enjoying my new headphones (despite the fact that citing 'some randomers on the internet' should automatically fail you in an academic project... ).
    So ye do not believe in God then what do Athiest believe in? Do they believe in after life ? Do they believe in recarnation?

Nothing, no and no.

I understand it to have happened as described by current scientific understanding.
    People who believe in religion say God created the universe and Athiest say it was there the whole time well mind if i ask this another question i got from youtube then isn't there supposed to be a creator for everything?
    How can a massive universe be just there for ever and us humans our shapes feelings cauncience how does this occur

You got the question form Youtube? Seriously hope this isn't part of third level coursework! And it's a commonly know fact that the majority of posters on Youtube aren't too sharp... Anyway, my belief is that the universe wasn't there, that there was a 'big bang' type event that gave rise to the universe and again, according to scientific understanding, has a finite lifespan (however immense). I believe humans (and other intelligent life, where ever it is) are the jolly product of favourable, but randomly occuring environmental factors and millions of years of evolution. Emotions are a higher brain function that are a result of that evolution.
    Some Athiest say Evoloution from Apes?

I take it you haven't read Darwin's 'Origin of the Species'? Every rational person I know, both religious and non-religious all agree on it.

Anyway, happy, um, whatever it is you're doing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭PickledLime

every created thing has definitely got a creator

... and your proof of such a definitive is?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭J. Football

Could you perhaps do a project on how to use a full stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Depends. The word Atheist simply means lack of belief in a deity, it doesn't define or describe anything other than this. Atheists therefore can have varying belief systems and aren't a homogeneous group.
    The evidence points to it having occured.
    People who believe in religion say God created the universe and Athiest say it was there the whole time
    The point of the big bang theory is that the universe wasn't there the whole time, it had a beginning.
    well mind if i ask this another question i got from youtube then isn't there supposed to be a creator for everything?
    No, why would there be? There's no logical reason why a creator is necessary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

A atheist is simply a person who lacks a positive belief in a god. An atheist can believe in anything else, including those things.
    Like the vast majority of religious people, most atheists believe it is the most accurate description of how the universe formed in it's early history.
    They believe this because it is.
    Not just some atheists, but all of the evidence that's ever been collected show that we evolved from apes, that we share a common ancestry with modern apes such as chimps and gorillas and that we are in fact still apes right now.
    This is a fact that is accepted by the vast majority of educated religious people as well as atheists.
    Every created thing has a creator...God is uncreated... so the question who created God is illogical.... every created thing has definitely got a creator, but God is the only one in the entire universe who is uncreated, so if God is uncreated, how can there be a creator of him.....
    How do you know that every created thing has a creator?
    How do you know God is uncreated?
    Why, if God can be uncreated, can't the universe be uncreated?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭face1990

Very very few people (atheist or religious) don't believe in evolution.
    It's been proven that evolution happens, and can sometimes even be seen over time (for example, viruses and bacteria evolve very quickly. That's why we have to make new flu vaccines every year and why some bacteria are developing resistance to anti-biotics).

The only difference is that religious people might believe evolution happens but is guided or planned by god.
    Atheists believe it is a natural (and inevitable) process with no 'guidance' or 'plan' from a higher power.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Only thing you can say for certain about an atheist is that they don't believe in a god. They may or may not believe in the latter two things (and IME most don't), but lack of belief in a deity is the only prerequisite to calling yourself an atheist.
    To the best of my knowledge, the big bang theory is the most widely accepted explanation for the origin of the universe, and I'm happy to go with that. Though I feel the need to point out that this isn't a position unique to atheists - many (if not most) religious people who aren't creationists are happy to accept the scientific explanation as well, though they may also believe a deity had some part to play.
    No. Who says everything's supposed to have a creator?
    This is such a massive question I really wouldn't know where to start. :pac:
    Human beings are a type of ape. Non-human apes and humans share a common ancestor. Once again, this isn't an exclusively atheistic position though. Only creationists don't believe in evolution, and most religious people aren't creationists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Every created thing has a creator...God is uncreated... so the question who created God is illogical.... every created thing has definitely got a creator, but God is the only one in the entire universe who is uncreated, so if God is uncreated, how can there be a creator of him.....so just tell that person that his question is illogical...or tell him it's just like I asking you "i have a male friend who is admitted to a hospital, tell me whether he will give birth to boy or a girl?"( the question whether he will give birth to a boy or a girl is illogical because male can't be pregnant in the first place)...

Bahaha... ha

Sorry, but if that's your definition of logic you've got a lot of work to do.

If I recall your questions correctly, atheism is the non-belief in a deity, nothing more, nothing less, the big bang theory is a logical and worthwhile one within current scientific understanding, a creator was never a prerequisite for everything, and save us all some time and research evolution, you are misrepresenting it in the most commonly simplistic and wrong way.

I won't lie, I'm a tad twisted, and I guarantee my answers make more sense than your questions, start your research with established knowledge before you poll randomers on the internet.

Atheists believe there isn't any god. Some may believe in an after-life or reincarnation, most (in my opinion) don't.
    Atheism isn't like a religion or church. There's no set beliefs or rules. The only belief atheists have in common is a disbelief of god.

It's the best explanation we have so far of how the universe came to be. There are some problems with it, and some unanswered questions.

But that's the best thing about science; instead of believing a set, defined 'truth' (like the bible story of creation), scientists question their own findings and go back to the drawing board to come up with better, more accurate theories.
    Science changes and progresses, and encourages people to question things.

isn't there supposed to be a creator for everything?

Why does everything need a creator? Personally, I think the universe was created through a natural process which we don't quite understand yet but hopefully will in the future.
    Maybe it was an unlikely little accident that our universe formed, or maybe it happens all the time. There could be new ones being created every second for all we know!

It might not be there for ever. There's several theories about how it might end; it might shrink back into a single point (like the opposite of the big bang) or might expand so much that everything (matter & energy) gets so spread out that the universe essential grinds to a halt.

Feelings and conciousness are in your brain. The human brain is a marvel of nature, capable of thinking & feeling, and even capable of questioning its own existence!
    The brain's an amazing thing, which I believe is the culmination of three and a half billion years of evolution.

We have a conscience because we are intelligent enough to empathise. We know that other people have feelings like ourselves, so we know not to do bad things to other people.
    People have asked me why does an atheist not go around robbing and killing people if they think they won't be punished by god for it. The answer is that I don't because I treat others as I would expect them to treat me, and because I want to live in a society where people respect each other.

Atheism in general:
    Atheists accept how little humans know about our world and try to fill in the blanks by examining our universe, using logic & reason, rather than believing religious teachings which we don't believe are true.

Personally, I've never seen any convincing evidence of the existence of a God. It's too important a thing for me to just give it the benefit of the doubt, so I have to assume there isn't a God (and live my life like there isn't) and I very much believe there isn't!

Good luck with the project!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

The Big Bang Theory is fact i seen it on E4 last night but didnt known howe it creatd.

Sorry like i said to most of people who think this is my logic i get questions from the internet and pot them here to see your views these are not my logics or belief well some of them are but i wanted to hear from an Athiest point of view
    And ye call me Dumb ???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

face1990 wrote: »
    We have a conscience because we are intelligent enough to empathise.
    Empathy is related to intelligence? Are intelligent people more empathetic that dumb people? Do we never find intelligent people who are callous?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Sorry like i said to most of people who think this is my logic i get questions from the internet and pot them here to see your views these are not my logics or belief well some of them are but i wanted to hear from an Athiest point of view
    And ye call me Dumb ???

Who called you dumb? I can see responses to your questions, ideas for how to develop your project, questions put to you to find out what you yourself believe, and good wishes on your work. Has somebody called you dumb?

Having said that, you really are doing yourself no favours with your prose. Your posts would be easier to read if you used some punctuation, capitals, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Just so you know, I can only answer for myself. Atheism being a LACK of belief means that the only thing atheists have in common is a lack of beliefs in gods.
    So ye do not believe in God then what do Athiest believe in?
    Personally I believe in myself and I believe in people. I believe that people are generally altruistic, and will do the right thing.
    Do they believe in after life ?
    I don't believe in an afterlife, but some do. I think it'll be just like the opposite of before we're born; our conciousness is gone, and then we are deconstructed molecule by molecule, and returned to the earth. I think it's quite beautiful, and it gives me solace.

As I said, the only think atheism says anything about is gods, not potential afterlives, fairies, ghosts, etc.
    Do they believe in recarnation?
    I don't, again others may do.
    I think that it is currently the best explanation we have for the existence of the universe, according the evidence we currently have.
    There's not 'supposed' to be anything. There's no 'should' there's no 'ought to', there just is.
    Our consciences evolved along with the rest of us. There are some very good studies of other primates showing that they too have a sense of fair play; the beginning of a conscience. As we are a herd animal then it is to our benefit to act in a way which is good for our group, and we are conditioned both by our evolution and by our society to develop these behaviours.
    Some Athiest say Evoloution from Apes ?
    Yes. We, and current apes, evolved from a common ancestor. This is why we look so incredibly similar to them. It's so easy to see humanity in an ape, or ape-manity in humans; the way they sit, scratch an itch, play with a child, that I have never been able to understand how people can deny that we're related.
    Just to make the above paragraph little i want to share something i got from some one on yahoo aswers
    i asked a person who made this world? how were you created? and they replied "The world was made with atoms, explosions, the big bang".
    And I said who started it though? who made it happen? So obviously there must be a creater, a god that has creaded everything. Then the person said "ok, well who created god"? and i replied, god was not made by anyone. Then they finally said "well, if no one created god, then why does there have to be someone that created this world?"

Every created thing has a creator...God is uncreated... so the question who created God is illogical.... every created thing has definitely got a creator, but God is the only one in the entire universe who is uncreated, so if God is uncreated, how can there be a creator of him.....so just tell that person that his question is illogical...or tell him it's just like I asking you "i have a male friend who is admitted to a hospital, tell me whether he will give birth to boy or a girl?"( the question whether he will give birth to a boy or a girl is illogical because male can't be pregnant in the first place)....

If a god is created he can't be god, because his creator will become god then... So a true God must be the one who is uncreated and who was and will be always existing....

Seem believable your ideas
    I think you have a major fault in your thinking there. The usual Theist attitude is that everything has got to be created, but when questioned about what created god they tend to get defensive and claim that god doesn't need a creator. Well, why the hell not? If you're going to claim that the universe must have been created because it's so complex then how come the even more complex creator doesn't need to have been created? The answer is that OF COURSE gods were created; they were created by humans to explain how the universe came to be.

Our currently scientific understanding shows that the universe didn't need to be created by a concious entity, it came into being at the big bang, and then through billions of years the clouds of hydrogen reached critical density and ignited, forming suns, which formed other elements.

I highly recommend that you read Bill Bryson's A Short History of Nearly Everything, a wonderful, accessible read which does a much better job of explaining complex science than I do. I also recommend Terry Pratchett's wonderful novel Small Gods, which is equally hilarious and thought provoking.

I also advise that you take the opportunity of this project to look into what you believe and why. Ask yourself the hard questions (if there's only one true god then why are their so many religions? How can I be sure my religion is the right one?), discover the contradictions (such as 'complex universe needs creator, complexer creator doesn't'), consider how your belief in any gods may have been different if you had been born in Jaipur, Baghdad, or the American Deep South. Ask your teacher "WHY?" a lot, and don't stop asking until you get a satisfactory answer, not 'because god'.

Anyway, I hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

And ye call me Dumb ???

No ones called you dumb unless I've missed it. They have been a bit harsh though.

Can you give us a bit more detail on this project? What is it for? College? School? (primary or secondary)

It will be helpful in allowing us to tailor our answers to be appropriate to your questions. For instance there is no point in us getting distracted by an in-depth evolution debate if you've not encountered evolution before. It wouldn't be helpful.

You're right, some of us are 'sciency', some of us are actual scientists. Many of us are just people who like to read a lot though. We are likely to be prone to wordy answers, and assuming everyone knows what we're talking about even when they don't. Most of us would like to help you though.:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

This thread makes baby jesus cry.

OP, the only universal commonality atheists share is a lack of belief in a god, that's it.

Regarding the Big Bang Theory, this is our (by 'our' I mean the human race, not just atheists) best understanding of how the Universe as it is came to be.

Regarding Evolution, this is 100% fact accepted by all rational people, atheists and non-atheists. Only lunatics deny that it is a fact. Humans do share a common ancestor with apes.

If I were you I'd be having a talk with my religion & science teacher as they don't seem to be doing their job very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Sycopat wrote: »
    No ones called you dumb unless I've missed it. They have been a bit harsh though.

Yea but obvious troll is obvious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

pH wrote: »
    Yea but obvious troll is obvious.
    Check his posting history, the kid is a JC* student.

A little leeway is required imo.

*Junior Cert, not Jesus Christ. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭Sycopat

So ye do not believe in God then what do Athiest believe in?

Atheism is non-belief in god or gods. They believe there are no gods. That's about the only defining feature of it.

Do they believe in after life ?

I personally don't. Some atheists might but I've never met one.

Do they believe in recarnation?

I personally don't.

I believe that when I die my consciousness will cease to exist. I don't like this thought, I find it quite scary, but I know it won't bother me after I die. And in the mean time it encourages me to live my life well and attempt to fulfill my ambitions while I have the chance. It forces me to deeply value what life I have.

As far as I know, it fits the observations of physicists pretty well, making it the most likely explanation.

So who created god? Also most atheists don't claim the universe was there the whole time. Many believe in the big bang creation of the universe. What caused the big bang? I don't know, but why should I assume it was a god?

The Universe isn't just there. It is in constant motion. Early in the Universe's life, (shortly after the big bang) massive stars formed. Stars are the universes forges. They create elements like oxygen, carbon, nitrogen, gold etc. and fling them out across the Universe. These elements are caught in the gravity of other stars and form large clumps of rock and ice and gas. These clumps aggregate over time to form planets. The energy, light and heat, poured out of the star the planet is following causes the elements on the surfaces of the planet to react in incredibly complicated ways. Some people think that these complex reactions could become self replicating as long as the energy they require and raw materials are available. These complex self-replicating reactions could then slowly become more complex, provided the energy is available, and eventually form what we call 'life'. This life then evolves over time to take multiple different forms.

That's very generally what I think happened.

That's not strictly an atheist position. It's (roughly speaking) the position of the biological sciences. Atheists do tend to follow scientific consensus though.

Evolution is the basis of modern biology.
    So if ye could asnwer these question and tell me more about Atheism belief i would love to know :)

Best of luck with your project.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So I have to do a religion project about Athiest but i never entirely got to understand the belief one of my class mates is an athiest and from the movies i seen and video like my class mate and people who i have seen whom are athiest seem to be so much sciency
    I would like to ask some few questions and would want anyone to answer them would be grateful

Atheism is just lack of a belief in a god or gods, thats it. You don't have to subscribe to specific theories about the nature of life the universe and everything to be an atheist, just not believe in god, simples.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

So I have to do a religion project about Athiest but i never entirely got to understand the belief
    This graphic captures the essential belief of all atheists. Hope it helps.

234075.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

I understand a lot more from reading this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Just to further help, OP.

One common notion is that atheists are a hive mind, that they all sit around firing scientific facts at each other like it's going out of fashion.

The important thing to note is that, unlike religions, there is no common set of values or interests that unite atheists. Some atheists might find science mind-numbingly boring. Some atheists are pro-choice, others pro-life. Some would be in favour of gay marriage. I'm sure there are those who aren't.

I would say they tend to be quite progressive or liberal in terms of politics and social values, but it's not a foregone conclusion.

Empathy is related to intelligence?

Sorry, I meant in relation to other animals & organisms. I.e. the reason humans can empathise while insects or birds, for instance, don't appear to be able to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,943 ✭✭✭wonderfulname

Sycopat wrote: »
    ...They have been a bit harsh though...

That was me, I was a bit too harsh, sorry OP :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

And ye call me Dumb ???

No, but they probably should have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭DB21

Doesn't surprise me that the OP is a City fan :pac:

Above 2 posters Are mental and wo ever they support are ****

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Above 2 posters Are mental and wo ever they support are ****

That may indeed be true. It is also true that a few people on the forum have taken time to answer your questions, in detail in some cases, and most of them have been patient and honest.

Might be an idea to thank them for that, they didn't have to do it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement