Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a flu epidemic at the moment ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭prettygurrly

i know tonnes of ppl who got the WVB. stocked up on motillium just in case...also had a cold for the last while but thankfully avoided flu. Had proper flu two years ago during the snow and ice. had to get my brother up to drogheda to drive me home to wicklow for christmas. literally an hour before he arrived my fever broke and i was finally back to a functioning human being. prior to that i was hallucinating, shivering (although I had a fever) and was in severe pain. once you have flu anything afterwards is simple...

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭AulBiddy

Lots of it going round schools. I got it but I must be prone to the whole nausea thing, I never get vomiting bugs (touch wood!) but the flu I had last week was unbelievable, couldn't imagine having vomiting with it aswell !

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Years ago when someone came to Ireland from a non-EU country, was it not the case that they had to undergo a medical exam before they got in ? Was there ever quaranteening ? I may be wrong in this. If I am right, maybe we are seeing a strain of flu virus that is from another part of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

Ally Dick wrote: »
    Years ago when someone came to Ireland from a non-EU country, was it not the case that they had to undergo a medical exam before they got in ? Was there ever quaranteening ? I may be wrong in this. If I am right, maybe we are seeing a strain of flu virus that is from another part of the world

Possibly the dumbest post I have ever seen on Boards.

Nothing personal but SEEEEEERIOUSLY??

Was there ever a tent at the airports that non-EU People had to wait in and undergo a medical examination.??

As far as I know the last Place this happened was Ellis Island in New York in the 1800s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

my cold graduated into a flu today, feel like crap i do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I had it 2 weeks ago. Haven't been that sick in a long time. Well I've had tummy bugs a few times but havent had the flu since I was little.

I was confused about having the gastro symptoms along with full blown flu, coz every website I looked up about flu said nothing about puking, diarrhea or your stomach churning about and contracting etc...

My friend said it was winter vomiting bug, but I'm not sure.
    I think it was the flu and gastritis.
    Maybe it was the nora virus though - I don't know :/

I was in the doctor the following week about something else and I mentioned that I had been very ill - he knew what was wrong before I said the symptoms - he said he was inundated with people with the exact same thing past few weeks.
    Whatever it is is going through the country like crazy!
    I'm not sure what constitutes an epidemic, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Was there ever a tent at the airports that non-EU People had to wait in and undergo a medical examination.??

As far as I know the last Place this happened was Ellis Island in New York in the 1800s

The New Yorkers STILL take it VERY seriously

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/stations/new-york.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

The New Yorkers STILL take it VERY seriously

http://www.cdc.gov/quarantine/stations/new-york.html

2,000 people medically referred out of over 12 million passengers.

That's 00.01 percent. VERY serious indeed.

NO explanation for what constitutes a medical referral. Basically this could mean precautionary testing on people that have collapsed on flights or are violently ill.

I think you are really really reaching. Just admit the stupid (borderline racist) comment and stop digging a hole for yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 407 ✭✭Noel Kinsella

My Doctor told me that they are encountering many more viruses in the last ten years being brought in from other countries and we have little or no immunity to them is he a racist too ?. I think the racist word is used far too freely in "after hours". Your reply to that poster is little more than an attack in my opinion.

I don't think it is racist to have concern over viruses coming in, of which we have no immunity too. Globalisation is the cause. Governments need to put controls in place, because globalisation is here to stay. I get the feeling the department of Health couldn't give a rat's @rse.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

I have a bîtch of a chest infection, on my 2nd round of antibiotics for it, and now I feel the beginnings of the aches, pains & fatigue of flu... Twont be long now

• Registered Users Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Sar_Bear wrote: »
    I have a bîtch of a chest infection, on my 2nd round of antibiotics for it, and now I feel the beginnings of the aches, pains & fatigue of flu... Twont be long now

Get yourself off to bed!!!

Felt like sh*t all last week, just over it now but still a bit of a chesty cough. Luckily there was no puking just aching body, blocked up nose and a wanker of a cough

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 702 ✭✭✭goodie2shoes

I don't think it is racist to have concern over viruses coming in, of which we have no immunity too. Globalisation is the cause. Governments need to put controls in place, because globalisation is here to stay. I get the feeling the department of Health couldn't give a rat's @rse.....

OMG the Dept. of Health would so hate if anybody labelled them racist. The shame! the shame!
    much better to bury their collective heads up their collective arses, and strive to be PC.

because of globalisation and modern transport, these viruses can circumnavigate the globe in less then 24 hours. still better not mention that. dont want to be upsetting any of our visitors do we?

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭mar1us

Just got rid of the flu ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,351 ✭✭✭NegativeCreep

I don't know about you people, but any time I've had the flu, I barely had the energy to blink nevermind write a post on Boards. People get confused with the cold and the flu. If you're actually able to get up out of bed then you don't have the flu, you have the cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭deblacker

I don't know about you people, but any time I've had the flu, I barely had the energy to blink nevermind write a post on Boards. People get confused with the cold and the flu. If you're actually able to get up out of bed then you don't have the flu, you have the cold.

You're right, when you have a flu, you're a vegetable for the week.

Like your name btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Yeah, I used to think this but I was swabbed and tested positive for swine flu and I was still in work. Wasn't that bad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

this norovirus is ****ing unreal - it must have come from outer space or summat! my mother brought it into the house and within three days five people had it :eek:

4 of them were sicker than dogs and my mother had to have 2 trips back to the a & e herself to deal with the dehydration etc.

i was kinda ok - maybe a good immune system or the huge amount of garlic i eat but i tell you a full-on dose of this thing would buckle you! i nearly shat myself in public with it - not half as funny as it sounds :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Uthur wrote: »
    this norovirus is ****ing unreal - it must have come from outer space or summat! my mother brought it into the house and within three days five people had it :eek:

4 of them were sicker than dogs and my mother had to have 2 trips back to the a & e herself to deal with the dehydration etc.

i was kinda ok - maybe a good immune system or the huge amount of garlic i eat but i tell you a full-on dose of this thing would buckle you! i nearly shat myself in public with it - not half as funny as it sounds :o

Ah it is though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Here was me thinking "I've gotten away without getting sick" as every other person in the house has been dying.
    Low and behold, last night, it hit me like a tonne of bricks.
    I'm sicker than a plane to Lourdes:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

I've just got back from A&E after attempting to swallow a whole onion, still doesn't come close to the misery that is 'Man Flu'.
    Why do most women refuse to acknoweldge our pain in this regard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

9959 wrote: »
    I've just got back from A&E after attempting to swallow a whole onion, still doesn't come close to the misery that is 'Man Flu'.
    Why do most women refuse to acknoweldge our pain in this regard?

Oh, I really do hope that there is a story to go with this!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Limerick hospital bans visitors amid winter vomiting bug scare
    A blanket ban on visitors is in place at the Mid Western Regional Hospital in Limerick, in a bid to stop the spread of the winter vomiting bug.

Visiting to all wards at the hospital is prohibited, with the exception of those visiting critically ill patients.

The hospital is also asking the public to visit their GP and to only attend the Emergency Department if absolutely necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭Meangadh

Yeah I really don't understand how someone who says they have the flu can post here- if you have the flu you can barely lift your head never mind lift your hand to type.

Last time I got the flu was 2 years ago, almost exactly at this time, and had it again 2 years before that but way worse that time. It's hell. I remember sitting curled in the armchair thinking I would never be able to get up again- I needed to go to the toilet and I just remember wanting to cry because I was in so much pain having to walk to the bathroom. It's an absolutely horrible dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭9959

Smidge wrote: »
    Oh, I really do hope that there is a story to go with this!!!

Truth is stranger than fiction.
    I started a 'Man Flu' thread this morning, read it and weep.
    I can't provide the link as I've seriously damaged my index finger, it's probabably on page 5 or 6 by now - the thread not the finger!
    Thanks for your interest.

Just spotted it on page 3.
    Last page of 'Man Flu Support thread'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Wife has flu bad, I have a touch of it and kids are just over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

I'm on day 6 of my flu (confirmed by doctor). It came on me very suddenly, back ache, chills, raging fever which lasted 3 days, then the fever broke, cough started, can't hear very well for pounding in both ears, can't sleep well, feel very miserable, no appetite. I don't feel like there's been much improvement since I first got it :-( Can't imagine that I'll be out of bed for at least another couple of days. The doctor says the only thing for it is solpadeine for pain management and cough bottle, that and to stay in bed and drink lots :-(

Feel very annoyed by people who leave the house to spread these things, not to mention people who cough straight onto their hands (at any time of the year). Have these people never been educated to cough into a tissue?????

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm back in work yesterday after putting down a pretty bad Christmas sickness wise. The girlfriend is currenly in the throes at the moment. Flu and chest infection. I'm about 90% clear, still coughing up stuff but able to get stuff done. My mind was racing and had dreadful joint pains.

If you are feeling ill, don't try to beat it yourself. I have the immunse system of an ox and it knocked me out for 4 days solid.

Go to the doctor and get treated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

wat
    if you have the cold or flu you dont need to go to a doctor, well maybe if you're like.. 80 or something.
    just get into bed, have some lemsip or whatever OTC medicine is best for whatever ails you and tough it out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭smeedyova

wat
    if you have the cold or flu you dont need to go to a doctor, well maybe if you're like.. 80 or something.
    just get into bed, have some lemsip or whatever OTC medicine is best for whatever ails you and tough it out

Plenty of people have to take extra precautions due to pre-exisiting health problems, even those who are not "like 80". I think it would be wiser if you left the medical advice to the professionals.

Advertisement