Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a flu epidemic at the moment ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I've got it. I haven't eaten properly for 4 days, even a banana is too much effort. Spent the whole of xmas either sitting out for an hour then back to bed. Serious backpain, shivers bad chest and sore nose.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Talking to a KDOC (Kildare after hours doc) Doctor on Monday who said they treated over 600 people with flu like symptoms over the weekend of the 22nd-23rd. He said they're just waiting to declare an epidemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭hattoncracker

I have pneumonia.

:(

Started as a throat and chest infection, now I'm miserable... And back to work tomorrow! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭jesse pinkman

We've all had the vomiting bug in our gaff just before Christmas, the doctor informed me that the bug stays in the stomach lining for up to eight weeks, like the flu its highly contagious & not to be sniffed at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I have pneumonia.

:(

Started as a throat and chest infection, now I'm miserable... And back to work tomorrow! :(

Get signed off sick! It's totally unfair on your colleagues to bring that into the office / workplace tbh.
    For someone with asthma or anything like that it can be a near-death experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ulyssescohen

Well said!
    Solair wrote: »
    Get signed off sick! It's totally unfair on your colleagues to bring that into the office / workplace tbh.
    For someone with asthma or anything like that it can be a near-death experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Tasden

I was sick all day yesterday with it and had to be in today for work, we were all told that no matter how sick we were we were not to call in sick or there'd be hell to pay (which I know is true from other people in previous years). And their reason for this is that its not fair on colleagues to be left short staffed. Can't win.

I obviously agree with not spreading it by going in but people can't exactly afford to piss off management when there are thousands others who would take your job in a flash.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Tasden wrote: »
    I obviously agree with not spreading it by going in but people can't exactly afford to piss off management when there are thousands others who would take your job in a flash.

This is bollocks and needs to change. I know yeah "see it from the employer's point of view", but FFS, it does not make any sense to make people work when they are sick.

+1 And from an economic standpoint it makes even less sense. It means more absenteeism - and in certain situations, i.e.,, retail may actually be counterproductive.
    This is bollocks and needs to change. I know yeah "see it from the employer's point of view", but FFS, it does not make any sense to make people work when they are sick.

Tbh nobody agrees with it or sees it from the employers pov, but people care about their jobs so they do what they're told.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

IAnd their reason for this is that its not fair on colleagues to be left short staffed. Can't win.
    They are trying to stop people pulling a sickie, but if you have WVB you are doing them a favour by not coming in...you are highly contagious and will probably decimate the rest of the staff, not to mention all the customers you come into contact with.

I think the employees that have trouble are those who have exploited the situation in the past. If you have a history of pulling sickies, then my take is that mocking is catching. I find it hard to believe, in most cases, that the hard working employee is actually hurt by legitimate sicknesses
    Tbh nobody agrees with it or sees it from the employers pov, but people care about their jobs so they do what they're told.

I think the employees that have trouble are those who have exploited the situation in the past. If you have a history of pulling sickies, then my take is that mocking is catching. I find it hard to believe, in most cases, that the hard working employee is actually hurt by legitimate sicknesses

Missed one day this year for a funeral, always on time, do last minute shifts when asked. Its a warning given to all staff on xmas eve. My colleague who I doubt has a history either ended up getting a mark on her record and a counselling when she called in sick on Stevens day last year. Although admittedly she didn't have a cert.

Maybe if you have a cert its different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I for one have the flu. I refused to go into work today. Ok, there was no work today, but if there was, I was pulling a sickie. This has not stopped the flow of snot from my hooter, nor eased the hacking cough that I feel might require major surgery of some sort.

The wife says I have a cold, but I want a second opinion. I asked the dog, and he said I looked wouf, sorry, rough. I'm going with the dogs verdict and will take tomorrow off as well. Ok, Ok, there is no work tomorrow either, but i am still very, very ill. A cold, pah.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

We had the norovirus (vomiting bug) and the flu going around at work - I got the vomiting bug, but I was fairly lucky with it, that I wasn't sick much. Took me about four or five weeks to fully recover from it, it wrecked me. If you have the WVB, you are supposed to stay out of work for at least 48 hours after the last bout of sickness - thats what we were told anyway

I completely agree with people not being in work when they are sick - one person goes in when dying sick, then they will pass it on, and then leave more people out. Its a complete nightmare - I know seeing it from the employers view of being short staffed, but in the long run it is actually counterproductive

you mean days right??
    We had the norovirus (vomiting bug) and the flu going around at work - I got the vomiting bug, but I was fairly lucky with it, that I wasn't sick much. Took me about four or five weeks to full recover from it, it wrecked me

I completely agree with people not being in work when they are sick - one person goes in when dying sick, then they will pass it on, and then leave more people out. Its a complete nightmare - I know seeing it from the employers view of being short staffed, but in the long run it is actually counterproductive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

Thankfully, and I hope I'm not jinxing myself, neither I nor anyone I know has either the vomiting bug or the flu. I work in a school and usually outbreaks would be very noticeable, but we didn't seem to be having any issues before the holidays.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

you mean days right??

Nope, weeks and I wasn't the only one, the vomiting was gone after two days, but I was left shattered - I was hardly getting through the days at work, and I ended up catching a couple of colds on top of it. Stupidly went back exactly 48 hours after I last got sick. I felt so tired for a few weeks afterwards, even though I was doing the bare minimum to get through work. Another colleague of mine was off for two weeks with it, came back and was shattered looking despite resting and doing the right things, took her another week to get someway right

I working in a school in the UK - a number of schools were close to being shut down because of it

That is extreme. I had a very severe bout in October. Took some paramax which killed the vomitting. I was back in work in two days, and as right as rain in five. Maybe you should consider taking a tonic?
    Nope, weeks and I wasn't the only one, the vomiting was gone after two days, but I was left shattered - I was hardly getting through the days at work, and I ended up catching a couple of colds on top of it. Stupidly went back exactly 48 hours after I last got sick. I felt so tired for a few weeks afterwards, even though I was doing the bare minimum to get through work. Another colleague of mine was off for two weeks with it, came back and was shattered looking despite resting and doing the right things, took her another week to get someway right

I working in a school in the UK - a number of schools were close to being shut down because of it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭SRFC

In bits with a stomach bug :mad: no appetite what so ever since the 24th so missed christmas dinner which is devastating :mad:

• Advertisement

I'm alright now again, it was the second week of November that I got it, and it was only a week and a half ago that I felt back to full energy.

I know a lot of people with the flu alright - don't know if it is big enough to call a epidemic yet

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Think_then_talk

My sister and mother are sick the last four days.Cant seem to get the
    heat into them they cant eat getting sick all the time. Doctor was called
    and he said it was the vomiting bug and the flu that they had.
    The mother had the flu jab and all. Was no christmas dinner cooked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

People sending their kids into school when they are really sick has to be one of my biggest annoyances :mad:

There was an incident in one of our kids classes last year where a kid came into class and was vomiting(on the floors etc)and the teacher left him there all day and told him not to come in the next day.
    Lo and behold in he came the next day and puked all over the toilets and sinks and at this point the teacher rang home. The mother said she was busy and would collect him at the normal time:eek:
    That was the Friday.

My child was as sick as a plane to Lourdes the whole weekend and into the next Mon/Tue but we kept him off all week(the rest of the family then got the dose, except me)
    I found out that the other child was back to school the next monday and didn't take any time off but was still SICK!!!

My child went back the following week and there are now THREE kids getting sick all over the classroom and the jacks.
    No parents took them home and they didn't miss school but guess what??
    My child got the bug AGAIN and this time we all got it.
    Horrendous dose.
    I rang the school and asked were these kids still in class, which they were.
    None had been kept of for even a single day.
    I was pretty cheesed off and asked the school could they contact the parents of these kids and make sure that they did not return until healthy.
    School said no can do and that it was up to parents to decide if their child was well enough to attend:mad:

Craziness.

It's not contagious!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

It's not contagious!

Flu or Norovirus?

Because both are highly contagious.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭D_D

I must be in a nice little bubble here in Dublin... Neither my family or friends have had this bug. I have not even heard of any stories of anyone with the bug.

I'll be moving back abroad in the New Year. Hope I'm out of here before the epidemic is declared...

Flu or Norovirus?

Because both are highly contagious.

I'm past that now, according to my doctor. She toldme that the first four days is the Most contagious and after that there's very little chance of passing it on.

I was off those days. Now I'm just wiped out and my back hurts.

And I'm on probation so unless a limb Is hanging off I'll be in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'm self employed, and like all other self-employed people, I got a vaccine when I started that means you never, ever get sick when there is important work to be done. I now only get sick at Christmas and when we go on holiday. Literally. Everything else falls under the category "ah sure you'll be grand".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I got a flu jab earlier in the year too and still got it!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭Eden3

I started to feel really unwell last week - was so busy at work + trying to organise Christmas ..... all came to a climax on my busiest, last day at work ...... not flu, but couldn't open my mouth with swelling up whole side of my face:eek:. Got the MUMPS ... lousy timing - today the 1st day I could actually chew the lovely Turkey I cooked yesterday .... Hmmmm! Seriously, really sore illness .. yukkk! Pity the vaccine wasn't around when I was a kid ... just goes to show how vaccines are important - maybe like the flu vaccine, eh?!

Advertisement