Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there a flu epidemic at the moment ?

Options
  • 26-12-2012 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,671 ✭✭✭✭

Everyone I know has it. Is it an epidemic ? Where the hell did it come from ? It's a bloody nasty dose. My parents are puking AND have the flu virus

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

I got the flu jab in October but if I hadn't had the jab I'd be full sure I have an awful dose of the flu. I'm sick as a dog and it's not from yesterday's dinner either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Tis the season..

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Cuttlefish

Wife brought it home now I have it and so does everyone else in the house!!

Was so bad last friday night that I woke quite a few times with aching gums!!!

Still no over it yet even though I have bombarded it with lemsip, panadol, lemon, cloves n Tullamore DEW!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Puking + diarrhoea + symptoms of a cold is the winter vomiting bug. Nasty POS, rampant at the moment. If you do get it then the best thing you can do for your sake and the sake of your friends, family and colleagues is to lock yourself at home for about 7 days and have minimal contact with other people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I think a lot of people still confuse the cold with the flu.

The common cold is an inconvenience.

The flu is a killer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

I read somewhere there is an epidemic. Brother had it yesterday nearly didn't make dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,128 ✭✭✭✭aaronjumper

Thankfully none of my friends or family has it, so might not get it.
    Hate being sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

1000 mg of Vitamin C taken daly in glass of water, 18+ Manuka Honey one spoon taken three times daily.

You can buy these at Holland and Barretts. If they are vomiting make sure they drink plenty of water as vomiting dehydrates you. and go see doctor asap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Best username ever

I'm in bed pulling the plum at the moment.

It's an awful dose so it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Yup, there's a fup load of people I know with it. There was a guy in my house yesterday in a heap with it.

Sure it's December.....cold season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,094 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

1000 mg of Vitamin C taken daly in glass of water, 18+ Manuka Honey one spoon taken three times daily.

You can buy these at Holland and Barretts. If they are vomiting make sure they drink plenty of water as vomiting dehydrates you. and go see doctor asap

Dont drink water, too harsh on an empty stomach...some flat 7up or lucozade

If you do have the winter vomiting bug (or suspect it) stay away from people...its stupidly contagious...you will literally need to disinfect the entire bathroom....even when you start to feel better you still have it, so one of those hand disinfectants might be good for a couple of days...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

i have a bad head cold but not the flu thank god

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭xLexie

I'm not sure if its the flu or a hangover

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I got pretty sick yesterday, lots of vomiting and cramps, feeling ok today though. Is it possible that I could be over it in a day?

Where To wrote: »
    The common cold is an inconvenience.

The flu is a killer.

Different people are different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

My dad had a bad dose of the flu, said he was hallucinating in bed with it, said it was the worst ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Woke up today with bad headache and nausea and have been vomiting.

family is also suffering.

And I don't drink so it's not that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

My dad has the flu as well. He's bedridden, more or less. No Christmas dinner for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

Is this mostly in Dublin?

I'm living in Cork, don't know anyone who has it atm (thank fucck)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Is this mostly in Dublin?

I'm living in Cork, don't know anyone who has it atm (thank fucck)

Im in Cork and a few I know are feeling rough today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

I'm sick as a small hospital too. Coughing and my sinusssssss are all bunged up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Yeah, don't have the flu but have had a really bed chest infection and have been pretty much in bed since Saturday night. Then on Monday my wife picked up some bug and has been in bed since Monday afternoon. My Mam also has a dose. Pain in the arse as we were supposed to be doing Christmas dinner but we all spent yesterday in bed wrecked. Even the smell of food was making me sick. The kids survived on chocolate and crisps and lemonade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Up till 6.30 this morning with a hallucinating child who was burning with a temperature, sore throat and pains all over.

Merry Xmas for me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Rob C

Yep...in Dublin and i have it. Haven't had the flu for about 15 years....this is definitely the flu. Going between shivering and feverish in a flash. Cough is manky as well with thick yellow phlegm coming up. Whole body aches and is sore. Started coming on Sunday, thought it was just going to be a chest cold. But I should have known as it came on so quickly.

Lemsip cold and flu is good...control the chills and fever with Paracetamol. Watch out for relapses, when you feel better but then the next day you feel crap again, that be a sign of pneumonia. Flu can easily develop into bacterial or viral pneumonia. So be careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

You add Garlic to that list, its awesome at fighting the common cold.

GreeBo wrote: »
    If you do have the winter vomiting bug (or suspect it) stay away from people...its stupidly contagious...you will literally need to disinfect the entire bathroom....even when you start to feel better you still have it, so one of those hand disinfectants might be good for a couple of days...

+1 Stay away from your family, even if you feel lonely or bored.

I know someone who had the winter vomiting bug and the next day when he still had a touch of it he went visiting family and mingling with them all including very young children. Simply because he was bored of staying in bed and wanted to take part in the xmas fun. Pure selfishness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I don't know if this is cold / flu, but perhaps someone might help with the diagnosis:

Started out with a bad fit of sneezing that went on for days with load of stuff coming out. Worst I've had in years and was coupled with a fever and rally bad sinus headaches.
    Then that moved down towards the chest and became a full cough.

Then when I thought I was better, it suddenly hadn't gone away. I was weak getting chills and sweaty / hot.

Work up during night really hot a few times.

Then it seemed to be gone on Xmas Eve, but has now come back in a sort of pang of leg/arm/body aches and I feel seriously grumpy although at least I've mostly stopped coughing, just the odd bout of phlegm coming up / down my nose!

Bit of a nightmare of a bug whatever it is.

Definitely a bit worse than a typical cold, but I don't know if I'd classify it as flu. Maybe it is... I don't know.

All I want to do is sleep, but nobody seems to want to leave me alone for 5 mins! GRRR !

I'm starting to really dislike xmas!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 ulyssescohen

What we have is a lack of basic hygiene - and the root cause is people failing to take very simple precautions - like washing their hands after going to the bathroom, or before eating. If people were more careful, the spread of this would be contained.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

What we have is a lack of basic hygiene - and the root cause is people failing to take very simple precautions - like washing their hands after going to the bathroom, or before eating. If people were more careful, the spread of this would be contained.

Yeah, there's a bit of that.

I got this when a disgusting woman sneezed in my face on the Luas and I had to actually wipe snot off my face!

Symptoms developed a few days later!

Use tissues people !! and stop wiping your noses on your hands then holding the rail on the bus / tram / train FFS!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

I really shouldn't have read some of the threads in After Hours today. :(

Advertisement