Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco in Bantry

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Edgey75

as shamrock55 says their is not much opertunity in bantry and the areas around, even the CE schemes usually have a ton of applicants never mind the propper jobs that occasionaly pop up, if you have employment in bantry count yourself as lucky as some people try and try and dont often get a responce back to even say no. in the last 4 years and countless jobs i have applied for in the bantry area ive had 1 email saying sorry the job has gone better luck next time, i can count the number of interviews ive had on one hand. its disheartening and depressing that the place that makes me happy to live causes me so much stress and anger due to lack of work opertunitys.

im unemployed and i certainly aint lazy i spend a hour plus a day looking over job sites, i do things around the house, gardening, doing things down the veg plot/polly tunnel growing veg to keep costs down. and when i get time i do some more to the classic vehicle im slowly restoring on a budget so small it needs a microscope to view, i drop and pick my kids up from school and pop in on my parents if my mam hasnt called in, i also pop in on friends a couple times a week. just out of interest i would like to point out i have a disability after a industrial accident and could probably go on disability if i really wanted to, but i dont, i want to work in a suitable job. so yeah unemployed people are lazy aint they, they dont do anything to look for work and just sit around all day scratching their bums...

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭sonnyblack

Edgey75 wrote: »
    as shamrock55 says their is not much opertunity in bantry and the areas around, even the CE schemes usually have a ton of applicants never mind the propper jobs that occasionaly pop up, if you have employment in bantry count yourself as lucky as some people try and try and dont often get a responce back to even say no. in the last 4 years and countless jobs i have applied for in the bantry area ive had 1 email saying sorry the job has gone better luck next time, i can count the number of interviews ive had on one hand. its disheartening and depressing that the place that makes me happy to live causes me so much stress and anger due to lack of work opertunitys.

im unemployed and i certainly aint lazy i spend a hour plus a day looking over job sites, i do things around the house, gardening, doing things down the veg plot/polly tunnel growing veg to keep costs down. and when i get time i do some more to the classic vehicle im slowly restoring on a budget so small it needs a microscope to view, i drop and pick my kids up from school and pop in on my parents if my mam hasnt called in, i also pop in on friends a couple times a week. just out of interest i would like to point out i have a disability after a industrial accident and could probably go on disability if i really wanted to, but i dont, i want to work in a suitable job. so yeah unemployed people are lazy aint they, they dont do anything to look for work and just sit around all day scratching their bums...

Well said. Makes you wonder what additional employment oppurtunities there would be in the town if the main retail Owners/developers could put aside their differences and facilitate new retail outlets. We live in hope I guess.

Lack of sites chills Iceland’s Irish expansion plan

Company intends to open up to 60 new stores

image.jpg Iceland, which has upwards of 800 stores employing more than 20,000 staff in the UK, as well six stores it owns in Ireland, announced its plan to expand here in November after buying back its Irish franchise from the AIM

Malcolm Walker, the founder of the UK retail chain Iceland Foods, says its plan to open between 50 and 60 new stores in Ireland, which would create more than 1,000 new jobs, is being held back by difficulties acquiring suitable sites.

http://www.irishtimes.com/business/sectors/retail-and-services/lack-of-sites-chills-iceland-s-irish-expansion-plan-1.1797733

Come to Bantry for God's sake. There are plenty sites down there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Baywindow

Reading all your note worthy comments...except for 'sonnyblack'...who does he think he is?
    I wonder does he even live in Bantry? Anyway it's about time some level of sustainable development happens within the town. Unlike most other west cork towns Bantry has a unique topography...this often hinders development and potential site development within the town core and immediate environs...therefore it is inivitible that some level of 'out-of-town' development will have to occur around Bantry where the land is available and which can be developed. This is inivtible going forward. There are no proper sites within the town core for such a large developemnt of any 'supermarket'...have Biggs ever considered demolishing their current site and redeveloping, perhaps with a few upper levels with user friendly access to same? A footbridge link to their current car parking arrangements could be an idea?..The sea front should be retained for maritime facilities and tourist projects....in my opinion this area is not suitable for a 'supermarket' and hopefully when the new marina commences it will be a catalyst for a bit more low-key development down there. If the existing supervalue site was to be re-developed perhaps the developers could first build on the former Hurley Garage site (for which they have permission) and this would enable them to continue trading until the existing supermarket site is re-developed. As they say...short term pain for long term gain! They can then sell or lease their 'Hurley garage site' to Lidl or Aldi..win win for all!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

The Hurley garage site would be a nightmare for heavy trucks to get in and out of.ie artics.

• Advertisement

mp22 wrote: »
    The Hurley garage site would be a nightmare for heavy trucks to get in and out of.ie artics.

But sure the Council granted permission...one would assume they noted this?...

Win win win for all says bay window. What on earth are you talking about. Redevelop the current Biggs site. Yes leave old women continue to push their trolleys down the square on a winters day. Biggs will never develop the hurleys site. Why would they when they have the monopoly. NIMBY bay window. Not in myback yard. People like you are content to continue with 40% of bantry people shopping out if town and young people in Canada and Perth rather than have retail jobs in town from a major brand name

sonnyblack wrote: »
    Win win win for all says bay window. What on earth are you talking about. Redevelop the current Biggs site. Yes leave old women continue to push their trolleys down the square on a winters day. Biggs will never develop the hurleys site. Why would they when they have the monopoly. NIMBY bay window. Not in myback yard. People like you are content to continue with 40% of bantry people shopping out if town and young people in Canada and Perth rather than have retail jobs in town from a major brand name

Dear sonnyblack...there are more customers than just old ladies...in any case it seems to me like the business people of bantry have shot themselves on the foot on this one...why all the objections and whining...bantry is in the doldrums as far as I can see...I agree completely with you and other writers regards the seepage of shoppers...to the benefit of other west cork towns might it be said...it's about time the business people of the town wake up and smell the coffee...you need to move onwards and upwards...look at other model towns in the region...bantry has much more to offer...the icing on the cake would be a reasonable level of retail outlets to choose from...the sooner this debacle is sorted the better for the town... Can I also add that I hope the 'tesco' project proceeds in some form..all jobs welcome from the process and let the other business's in town adapt and move with the times.

As I've said already on this thread. Nothing will happen retail wise in the town until Biggs and the tesco developer sit down and agree some sort of non objection pact. Phase 1 of the inner harbour will start in the next 6 months. While it will be welcome it won't bring enough business to the town. A big brand name or 2 will bring people into the town to spend their money. If macroom skibb and clon can do it why not bantry. One reason too much backbiting between rival business people with the townspeople being the losers

As I've said already on this thread. Nothing will happen retail wise in the town until Biggs and the tesco developer sit down and agree some sort of non objection pact. Phase 1 of the inner harbour will start in the next 6 months. While it will be welcome it won't bring enough business to the town. A big brand name or 2 will bring people into the town to spend their money. If macroom skibb and clon can do it why not bantry. One reason too much backbiting between rival business people with the townspeople being the losers

That will never happen...surely blood is thicker than water and all that...why would they need to 'agree' anything??..what needs to happen here, in my opinion, is that more land needs to be zoned on the outskirts of town and leave it to the 'developers' to pick and choose..if the land is zoned properly then there can be no real redress to planning appeals...all be it one can just delay any commencement...I for one hope for a successful outcome for the shoppers of the town...Rome was'nt built in a day but by god Bantry is taking its time in moving forward...I also heard that vickery site has been delisted from conservation zoning...would sonnyblack know anything in this regard...shame to see that shop front and facade be destroyed?

• Advertisement

All I heard was that its been delisted because it will fall down on the street if anyone tried to develop it. The plans to re develop the site by the tesco developer and others were fanciful at best. Small retail units and apartments. Where's the market? Vickery owner made a killing on it. Beside being run as a pub for a while its just sitting there. Is it that special a facade I don't think so. It wouldn't have been de-listed if it was. Whatever goes in there still won't bring people into the town

All I heard was that its been delisted because it will fall down on the street if anyone tried to develop it. The plans to re develop the site by the tesco developer and others were fanciful at best. Small retail units and apartments. Where's the market? Vickery owner made a killing on it. Beside being run as a pub for a while its just sitting there. Is it that special a facade I don't think so. It wouldn't have been de-listed if it was. Whatever goes in there still won't bring people into the town

I see...obviously you have no liking of historical buildings..have you seen the window detail on that facade... Surely with modern building techniques it could be saved...pipe the drains under the road...sheet pile and underpin the building front?...by the way are you living in town??..probably not I guess??

Baywindow wrote: »
    I see...obviously you have no liking of historical buildings..have you seen the window detail on that facade... Surely with modern building techniques it could be saved...pipe the drains under the road...sheet pile and underpin the building front?...by the way are you living in town??..probably not I guess??

Calm down. You'll give yourself a heart attack. My connection to the town is none of your business. You sound like you'd like to keep things exactly as they are in a time warp. Move along with the times. The town needs retail investment to develop and provide employment as well as encouraging people to spend their money. Head out to the next vintage tractor or threshing festival for yourself and relax.

Calm down. You'll give yourself a heart attack. My connection to the town is none of your business. You sound like you'd like to keep things exactly as they are in a time warp. Move along with the times. The town needs retail investment to develop and provide employment as well as encouraging people to spend their money. Head out to the next vintage tractor or threshing festival for yourself and relax.

I would not dignify that response sonnyblack with a reply... Suffice to say your comment is probably the reason why bantry is stuck in the doldrums, development wise...have a nice day!

And a good Day to you too my good man. Moving swiftly along see below link to article about Phase 1 of the Inner Harbour in the Southern Star

http://www.southernstar.ie/News/Cllrs-given-a-2016-start-date-for-Bantry-works-26092014.htm

'LOCAL councillors were given a date for the much-mooted ambitious plans for Bantry Harbour, at a recent meeting of the Western Committee in Cork.
    Plans for the multi-million euro re-development of the town’s inner harbour were once more outlined to the members, including the detail that Phase One, which will cost up to €7m, will see the dredging of the inner harbour, improvements to the town pier, an amenity area, and the construction of pier side pontoons.
    But the meeting heard that it could be almost two years – in 2016 – before the work gets underway.'

Very disapppointed with the timeframe. I understand the Engineering consulatants for the construction phase have been or are about to be confirmed. I was expecting that this would proceed next spring. The article goes on to say that the pier has to be transferred from Cork County council to the Port of Cork before works can begin on widening it. That process will take time I guess.

Dare I say it but I still feel that the Inner Harbour project will be the catalyst for increased retail development with the amount of tourism potential that it has. What's required is some major retailer to have the vision to see the potential and locate in the town.

God help us if the good people of Bantry have to wait for the Council to transfer the pier to Cork Port Auth...that could take at least 20 years knowing them!...lets hope for the best...onwards and upwards as they say!...I agree with sonnyblack regarding the hope that any development of the harbour area will stimulate some form of commercial activity. However the start date is yet again the two fingers to the town...I will certainly eat sonnybalcks hat if it ever even goes ahead by 2016...if it does it will co-incide with our great nations 100 years of 'freedom'...how ironic!...I will make a date with sonnyblack to eat his hat in Luceys Bar if this date of 2016 id delivered upon....sonnybalck you have a good day sir!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

And a good Day to you too my good man. Moving swiftly along see below link to article about Phase 1 of the Inner Harbour in the Southern Star

http://www.southernstar.ie/News/Cllrs-given-a-2016-start-date-for-Bantry-works-26092014.htm

'LOCAL councillors were given a date for the much-mooted ambitious plans for Bantry Harbour, at a recent meeting of the Western Committee in Cork.
    Plans for the multi-million euro re-development of the town’s inner harbour were once more outlined to the members, including the detail that Phase One, which will cost up to €7m, will see the dredging of the inner harbour, improvements to the town pier, an amenity area, and the construction of pier side pontoons.
    But the meeting heard that it could be almost two years – in 2016 – before the work gets underway.'

Very disapppointed with the timeframe. I understand the Engineering consulatants for the construction phase have been or are about to be confirmed. I was expecting that this would proceed next spring. The article goes on to say that the pier has to be transferred from Cork County council to the Port of Cork before works can begin on widening it. That process will take time I guess.

Dare I say it but I still feel that the Inner Harbour project will be the catalyst for increased retail development with the amount of tourism potential that it has. What's required is some major retailer to have the vision to see the potential and locate in the town.

Given I first heard talk about that in 1986 , two more years is not a big deal

• Registered Users Posts: 8 celticbouy

is there some bit of work going on in vickerys at the moment ?

I think some fella from kilcrohane has bought it. Prob for a song. God knows what he'll do with it. Our learned friend bay window reckons the facade had benn delisted. That should give a bit of leeway. Wait for the planning app I guess.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

There is talk in town that the shop and pub will be reopened.

• Advertisement

Heard that the Waterfront Bar shut down recently. I hate to say it but the Town seems to be fading away at the moment.

It is waterfront closed,Tractors closed,pound shop gone,no body out at night even at the weekends.The only shops doing well are the 5 charity shops we have here now.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭grange mac

Heard that the Waterfront Bar shut down recently. I hate to say it but the Town seems to be fading away at the moment.

I used to eat there regularly on Saturdays but always very quiet. Shame really as food was very good I thought. Had to switch to the quays and that is quiet too, don't know what is wrong with the town. Am guessing with the winter and minimal passing trade for another 6 months just wasn't viable.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

For sale sign gone from Vickerys. Good luck to whoever bought it.

Another bit in the examiner today about the forthcoming Inner Harbour Development.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/bantry-harbour-embarks-on-euro24m-revamp-293541.html

Port of Cork Authorities want to market the town as a major stopping off point for liners. They seem pretty organised to be fair and are driving on with getting the council to hand over the pier to start works. Make no mistake about it folks. This is Bantry's last shot at the big time. If this devopment is marketed properly and attracts the numbers, retail developments such as Tesco & Dunnes will inevitably follow. The finest natural port and scenery in the country.

The Inner Harbour. Bantrys answer to 'Field of Dreams'

'If you build it, they will come'

Now I must go and lie down after that rant....

A new year and a new rumour mill for Bantry. It's been said that the Tesco developer is in financial difficulties, is selling assets, and is out of the game in terms of bringing Tesco to Bantry.

The Supervalu developer has made representations to the Tesco site landowner about buying the site but has been unceremoniously rebuffed. She's probably sick and tired of the bickering between the local developers.

A german low cost retailer has emerged has a new player in the game. It's supposed to be a done deal and they are coming to town. Those boys won't mess about when the ink is on the deal.

Hopefully a new retail beginning for the town. We'll await further news with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,208 ✭✭✭shamrock55

There are rumours of a lidl or aldi going around for the last 5 or 6 years, i certainly wont hold my breath

• Registered Users Posts: 8 celticbouy

will only believe it when I am pushing the trolley through the door

celticbouy wrote: »
    will only believe it when I am pushing the trolley through the door

And you are right to be cynical after many a false dawn but it is strongest rumour I have heard so far. We'll wait and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 Righteous_Bob

And you are right to be cynical after many a false dawn but it is strongest rumour I have heard so far. We'll wait and see

There was activity in the field (holes being dug, men in hi-viz jackets wandering around) on a number of days a couple of weeks ago so something is happening. Whether anything else happens beyond that is another story.

Advertisement